HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cody Franson is Available

Old
10-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiansbronco View Post
...he is top 9/6 forward more 6 than 9....he would fit anywhere on the leafs lineup
Where would he fit exactly? I'm not saying he isn't good enough, but our wing positions are already full. AK isn't much of an upgrade (perhaps not an upgrade at all) on any of the top 6 wings of the Leafs. No point in trading for him.

Hanta Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:00 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimShady View Post
Interesting. Burke has done crap swaps before, and a crap swap involving Gomez and Komisarek isn't a totally crazy idea.
why take on a longer deal with a higher cap and a player who right now may be less ptoductive?

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:06 PM
Saul Goodman
Attorney at law

doubt he gets moved.

leafs are already missing 3 important forwards to injury, if something similar happens with the defense they're going to need franson.

Saul Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Saul Goodman
Attorney at law

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiansbronco View Post
...he is top 9/6 forward more 6 than 9....he would fit anywhere on the leafs lineup
no, he really wouldn't. leafs aren't interested in kostitsyn and habs fans need to stop trying to pawn him off in every trade thread that pops up around here. if he's so fantastic you should be happy to keep him on your team.

Old
10-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
That package won't get you a top 6 forward. Any package with Komisarek won't get you a top 6 forward.
Which team are you the GM of?

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
I think i'd prefer Franson over Stralman for the Rangers. How's a 3rd or 4th round pick sound for him?

EDIT: Can he play the right side?
There is no reason to trade him for a 3rd or a 4th. This is not a fire sale.

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:16 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
why take on a longer deal with a higher cap and a player who right now may be less ptoductive?
Even with a higher cap hit Gomez is > than Komi.
As bad as Gomez has been he been twice as good as the human pylon Komi.
So a Gomez for Komi is a not a chance from the Habs.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:34 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
NO. Komi is obvious great negative value. Bozak isn't anything you add to entice a team making a trade. He's a throw in and nothing more.
Bozak isn't a throw in, and he's definitely not a player you throw away for nothing. That's ridiculous. I have no idea why he's getting lumped in with Komi in your post.

There's absolutely no way that Bozak decreases the value of the trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
Even with a higher cap hit Gomez is > than Komi.
As bad as Gomez has been he been twice as good as the human pylon Komi.
So a Gomez for Komi is a not a chance from the Habs.
Gomez is terrible, and wouldn't have a roster spot with Connolly getting into the lineup soon. I don't really care about the value here, they're both terrible right now, but the Leafs can always send Komi to the AHL if necessary. There's no need to get rid of him.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:40 PM
islandersfreak21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koobs11 View Post
The islanders need to be all over this
I was reading the comments waiting for this. Who do you think Islanders give up though?

islandersfreak21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:43 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Something around Russell for Franson? From what I gathered, Franson WOULD have a spot on the Leaf's roster if he fit. His playstyle and play quality so far have not fit. Russell would likely fit better, although he may be deemed a redundant version of Liles.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
Which team are you the GM of?
Common sense. Komisarek alone wont get you a good top 6 forwards

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:54 PM
beatinov

franson, colborne, gunner, mckeeg, rynnas and a 1st for tavares and dipietro

beatinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:56 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Something around Russell for Franson? From what I gathered, Franson WOULD have a spot on the Leaf's roster if he fit. His playstyle and play quality so far have not fit. Russell would likely fit better, although he may be deemed a redundant version of Liles.
I don't think they need another D, and to be honest I don't think there's any substance to this rumour. I'm sure they'd be looking at Brassard if Columbus called though. Columbus wouldn't be interested in dealing him, but that's who they'd probably want.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:02 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Management View Post
Darren Dreger mentioned on TSN Radio 1050 that the Leafs are only "mildly" interested in trading Franson.

That's if the right offer comes along because, as Dreger mentioned, it's still quite early in the season. The tenor of the conversation suggests teams are calling Toronto, inquiring about guys like Gunnarsson and Franson, not that Toronto is actively shopping either player (most notably Gunnarsson, whom they apparently have "no interest" in moving at this time).

If you're a GM, it's your job to listen to offers that come across the table from your colleagues throughout the league. With the depth we have on defense, and kids like Keith Aulie and Jesse Blacker fine-tuning their games for the big club, the Leafs can probably afford to part with some talent or potential on the back-end. What Brian Burke would be looking for in return (perhaps a draft pick if he doesn't see Franson in this team's long-term plans, perhaps a package with a more significant piece) is anybody's guess, really.
QFT.

For those proposing Franson trades, you've gotta ask yourself, what reason do the Leafs have to trade him? Sure, he's the #7 defenceman, but all they need is an injury to a top 6 guy (especially problematic if it's Gunnarsson, Liles or Gardiner) and he's all of a sudden missed.

To acquire a 2nd-3rd round pick? I really don't see the incentive. Better to hang onto him throughout the year, knowing that he will most likely get his chance.

Most of the proposals I've seen here are offering some 2nd-3rd line forward(s), but realistically, where are the Leafs going to play these guys? They're presently missing Connolly, Bozak, and Armstrong; while the only logical guy that could / should be removed from the lineup is Phillipe Dupuis. Franson-for-3rd Line forward may be "fair value", but it doesn't mean that the 3rd line forward is enough of an upgrade on a guy like Frattin to justify making the deal. Centres make even less sense, as the Leafs already have 5 (when healthy), 4 of which are (at least questionable) top 2 guys.

Unless the Leafs can add a winger with size that could reasonably be viewed as an upgrade to Lupul on Kessel's wing, there isn't an obvious move for this team to make.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Leafs03

Id rather give Franson time in Toronto than dump him for a 3rd rounder. The guy played 4 games, and people are calling him ****.. but when kessel plays 8 solid games, people say its only 8 games.. dam haters! If Burke can't get a high 2nd rounder for Franson, he should just keep him..

Oilers 2nd for Franson id do that!

Leafs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:07 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs03 View Post
Id rather give Franson time in Toronto than dump him for a 3rd rounder. The guy played 4 games, and people are calling him ****.. but when kessel plays 8 solid games, people say its only 8 games.. dam haters! If Burke can't get a high 2nd rounder for Franson, he should just keep him..

Oilers 2nd for Franson id do that!
The Ducks 2nd should do it no? I know Burke hates Lowe but loves anything Ducks related.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:27 PM
TheBigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattAndersonBTR View Post
Yes they do (my bad)... Scratch my original post.

To Toronto: Hamill + Kampfer + Spooner + 2012 1st

To Boston: Franson + Lombardi

Edit: This would obviously only be made at the deadline if the Leafs are out of the playoff race. It also would depend on if the Bruins can right their ship and get back on track.
I really like this trade but would Boston need Lombardi? He would be awfully overpaid as a 4th line center.

TheBigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:57 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
I don't think they need another D, and to be honest I don't think there's any substance to this rumour. I'm sure they'd be looking at Brassard if Columbus called though. Columbus wouldn't be interested in dealing him, but that's who they'd probably want.
I agree that Brassard would be the piece that Toronto wants, but I don't think a deal for him could be swung while Franson is a piece. It'd have to be for an established defenseman that would have an immediate impact on the Jacket's blueline.

So you're right.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:56 PM
BigHabs

Montreal

Kristo
Diaz
3rd round pick

for

Toronto

Lombardi
Franson

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 11:13 PM
Inub0i
For the Alliance!

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
The Leafs, the team that finishes near the bottom of goals against year after year. Not Nashville. Franson is currently the #7 on a team that is fifth to last in goals against. Can't crack the lineup ahead of prospect or Komisarek...
Oh. That clears things up.

Poor Franson.

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 11:14 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agi View Post
The Leafs have enormous depth on the blue line and I can see them packaging off Franson and Bozak along with Komisarek as a cap dump for a top 2 centre or top six forward.
Franson + Bozak for Brassard

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:14 AM
Zrinski

Most of these proposals are pretty laughable, certainly a few exceptions. This guy won't be traded for a pick. He's the number 6/7 D, so what? He's making 800k and is an RFA when his deal expires. Currently a bottom pairing D man who is young and has top 4 upside. Furthermore Liles is a UFA after this year and not likely to be re-signed if Gardiner keeps up his play. I have no doubt Franson is available, but if a deal doesn't help this team improve why the hell would the Leafs make it. 3rd/4th round picks? Get out.

TL;DR Leafs aren't selling this kid off, but they're open to trading him if they can address a need.

Zrinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:25 AM
Pinkfloyd

Doubt that there's really all that much interest for Toronto to move Franson. They just got him, he's still relatively young, he's not that good anyway, and I doubt that the proposals are all that great.

Toronto won't gain anything substantial unless he's a throw-in in a package for an impact player.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:21 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

This is great. Toronto fans were so pumped about getting him, even though us Preds fans told them he wasn't Jesus. Too bad for Cody though. I've met him and his mother and sister and they were all very friendly.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:37 AM
Saul Goodman
Attorney at law

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
This is great. Toronto fans were so pumped about getting him, even though us Preds fans told them he wasn't Jesus. Too bad for Cody though. I've met him and his mother and sister and they were all very friendly.
some toronto fans are still pumped to have him. keep on thinking a trade rumour is "great" and somehow justifies trading him. considering what toronto paid for him and lombardi, somehow i doubt nashville fans should be laughing here. as much as i hate the whole "who won?" nonsense when it comes to trades, this one is working out just fine for toronto.