HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 Stars & GBR: Game 07 @ Winnipeg Jets

View Poll Results: 3 Stars?
Marty Biron 104 87.39%
Brian Boyle 2 1.68%
Ryan Callahan 45 37.82%
Michael Del Zotto 6 5.04%
Brandon Dubinsky 3 2.52%
Steve Eminger 4 3.36%
Tim Erixon 0 0%
Ruslan Fedotenko 79 66.39%
Marian Gaborik 4 3.36%
Dan Girardi 53 44.54%
Ryan McDonagh 0 0%
Brandon Prust 4 3.36%
Brad Richards 1 0.84%
Derek Stepan 2 1.68%
Other 1 0.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-25-2011, 05:04 PM
mullichicken25

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
I do, when he benches a player who literally generated 50% of our scoring chances in the two previous games, as well as the player who has 30% of our goals, and our most potent offensive force on the ice.

Tortorella is a clown. The reason we get 10 shots on goal through 2 periods -- dump and chase strategy. That is a coaching error, don't take that out on the players.
ANY strategy, when executed properly will lead to more than ten shots on goal

Your kidding yourself if you think that the abysmal performance last night was primarily due to anything other than poor execution and sloppy play

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 06:07 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
Our scoring was top 15 last year, and we did not have Richards. We also did not have Del Zotto, or McDonaugh on the back end.

If you do not think the missing of Staal, Sauer + bad penalties has not contributed to the lack of 5 on 5 pressure, you do not know much about hockey.
Actually this team was 16th in GF the past 2 seasons.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:15 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Actually this team was 16th in GF the past 2 seasons.
Actually, they had 233 Goals, which was good for 14th in the league if NHL.com is correct.

Last edited by Blatant: 10-25-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:45 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
Actually, they had 233 Goals, which was good for 14th in the league of NHL.com is correct.
If you look at the standings, you'll see 233. That's because the GF category in the standings credits the team a goal for winning in a shootout. If you go the stats page at NHL and look at the team stats for last season, you'll see that we actually scored 224 goals. It's an annoying discrepancy that you see all over the place.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:02 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
I do, when he benches a player who literally generated 50% of our scoring chances in the two previous games, as well as the player who has 30% of our goals, and our most potent offensive force on the ice.

Tortorella is a clown. The reason we get 10 shots on goal through 2 periods -- dump and chase strategy. That is a coaching error, don't take that out on the players.
Or, he was playing the lines that had been the best defensively because the team hasn't been able to score to save their lives and they had a one goal lead. That makes a lot of sense to me.

This idea that Torts is somehow forcing the players to dump and chase and not looking to get shots on goal is absurd. Think about all of the complaints about how this player or that player has sucked so far - their poor performances all around have no correlation to the lack of shots? You can't blame them?

I highly doubt that Torts is telling them to dump and chase no matter what and I doubt even more that if he were to do something that ridiculous there wouldn't be players on the roster who have the skill and confidence to just carry the puck across the line and shoot when the time is right anyway. Seriously consider how insane it would be for him to watch this season so far and then come in and try to force everyone to dump and chase still. Do you honestly think that Brad Richards would sign a multi year contract with this team and this coach just a few months ago if he were that stubborn and insane? Do you think that not one of the players would come out and criticize a strategy like that if Torts were somehow magically able to force them to dump and chase all the time? It seems to me that they do it because they aren't playing well as individuals for the most part or as a team and its the easiest play to make if you're not sure of yourself or the situation.

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:05 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
If you look at the standings, you'll see 233. That's because the GF category in the standings credits the team a goal for winning in a shootout. If you go the stats page at NHL and look at the team stats for last season, you'll see that we actually scored 224 goals. It's an annoying discrepancy that you see all over the place.
Wow, that is annoying, thanks for clearing that up for me. That makes more sense now.

Either way my point is still the same, give our offense and team some time to gel, get their feet under them, and get healthy. If they are still producing at a low level in a few weeks then I will be concerned.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote