HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sheldon Souray

Old
10-24-2011, 10:11 PM
MJP

vCash: 500
Sheldon Souray

5 points already in 8 games. I still wanna beat the **** out of Wang and Garth for not giving him a shot. Even with the $5 mil that it would have cost us last year, he would arguably be the 2nd best defenseman on our team. Him and Streit reunite on the PP would have been money. But nahhhh, we'll stick with Mottau, Staios, Eaton, all washed up bums. (Staios isnt terribbblllee)

I hope Souray has a great year, and says a nice big F you to every team in the league that passed on him.

MJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:42 PM
SaintTavares

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJP View Post
5 points already in 8 games. I still wanna beat the **** out of Wang and Garth for not giving him a shot. Even with the $5 mil that it would have cost us last year, he would arguably be the 2nd best defenseman on our team. Him and Streit reunite on the PP would have been money. But nahhhh, we'll stick with Mottau, Staios, Eaton, all washed up bums. (Staios isnt terribbblllee)

I hope Souray has a great year, and says a nice big F you to every team in the league that passed on him.
Why should he have been signed, he spent the entire last year playing in the minors, and you want to go give him 5 million? He's doing exactly what he had to do, prove himself all over again, and who wants to take a chance on a guy like that? Hindsight is 20/20 my friend

SaintTavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:01 PM
MJP

We should have absolutely taken a chance on him. We take chances on players who don't deserve chances, except Grabner obviously. 5 mil for us is nothing. He was a great player on Montreal, and reuniting him with Streit can't possibly hurt. He had a couple of ok years on Edmonton....because its edmonton. He still managed to put up 50+ points there a couple years ago.

MJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:15 PM
Fairenough

1) When Souray was in Montreal, Streit was on the 2nd PP unit...not with him.

2) Souray reportedly took shots at Streit when the latter first came over from Switzerland...there was supposedly some tension between those 2.

Souray was terrible in the AHL, is still incredibly injury-prone and is carrying a bad rep. And no, he wouldn't be the 2nd best defenseman on this team.

Fairenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:31 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 146
Quote:

Hindsight's 20/20 no one in the world expected him to have a start like this and I didn't see any threads from you clamoring for him before he went to Dallas... Plus its extremely early to declare him "money" the guy was in the minors all season last year for a reason.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:43 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:

Hey, let's take a chance with Wade Redden and pay him $6.5 mil. He may end up being our 2nd best defensemen!

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:50 PM
cjdv16

Never gonna happen.

/thread

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:51 PM
KyleBailey12

Quote:

Streit and Souray had problems.

KyleBailey12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 12:26 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Streit hates Souray from what I remember.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:36 AM
StrongIslanders90

yeahhh and why the hell did we trade chara, draft DP, pass on Skinner and Parise, and not give Paul Martin and Earnoff 7.5 mil each??? WHY WHY WHY???

Im Sorry but Souray was Not worth 5 mil to pluck of waivers.....His new cap hit mayby...But if Striet does not like him, then im sorry he has no place....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 07:49 AM
Fantom

Quote:

So we should have paid he guy 5m to play in miniors >??
Why dont we just sign Redden while were at it.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:06 AM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
yeahhh and why the hell did we trade chara, draft DP, pass on Skinner and Parise, and not give Paul Martin and Earnoff 7.5 mil each??? WHY WHY WHY???

Im Sorry but Souray was Not worth 5 mil to pluck of waivers.....His new cap hit mayby...But if Striet does not like him, then im sorry he has no place....

But Rolston is worth $5 mil to trade for? I agree with you on Souray...I wouldn't have taken the chance there either, but not at all because of the price tag. What are we worried about, that he'd drive us through the cap ceiling?? Price shouldn't be an issue for a team that says it's willing to spend money but just can't find anyone willing to come here.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:16 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran journeyman View Post
But Rolston is worth $5 mil to trade for? I agree with you on Souray...I wouldn't have taken the chance there either, but not at all because of the price tag. What are we worried about, that he'd drive us through the cap ceiling?? Price shouldn't be an issue for a team that says it's willing to spend money but just can't find anyone willing to come here.
Rolston serves his Purpose. Plus some $ went the other way.

Old
10-25-2011, 08:33 AM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
Rolston serves his Purpose. Plus some $ went the other way.
I guess, but I disagree. He's got a big shot that rarely gets through, and has been a liability everywhere else, especially on defense. I think he's been just as bad as the other two third liners we've been dumping on. Probably the same benefits/drawbacks as last year's Souray, to be honest, although, what you guys have said about Souray and Streit not getting along makes it a no-brainer to pass on Souray.

Old
10-25-2011, 09:06 AM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

HUGE difference between Rolston and Souray.

All players should be responsible regardless of where they are on the ice, but Rolston is not here as a defenseman. He is here to stabilize the third line, and provide offense on the power play. Souray is a defenseman. He would be required to be a greater forced on the blue line and contribute on the power play. Souray has had a career of struggling in his own end, and with a young, impressionable defense, I could not THANK Snow and Wang more for not going after Souray.

I know the team is having some trouble with consistency, but the season is young, and the team has to continue to go through its growing pains. Anyone really believe this team should be where the Caps are was deluding themselves.

We are still building. But Souray is not the answer.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:23 AM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
HUGE difference between Rolston and Souray.

All players should be responsible regardless of where they are on the ice, but Rolston is not here as a defenseman. He is here to stabilize the third line, and provide offense on the power play. Souray is a defenseman. He would be required to be a greater forced on the blue line and contribute on the power play. Souray has had a career of struggling in his own end, and with a young, impressionable defense, I could not THANK Snow and Wang more for not going after Souray.

I know the team is having some trouble with consistency, but the season is young, and the team has to continue to go through its growing pains. Anyone really believe this team should be where the Caps are was deluding themselves.

We are still building. But Souray is not the answer.

He's doing a great job...everyone wants to trade the entire third line. He's here to buffer our cap number to get to the floor, if we really want to be honest about it. Again, I'm not arguing for Souray. But we can't say it was about avoiding the $5m cap hit on a player not worth that money when Garth brought Rolston in on the same price to reach the floor. Is he worth $5m?

Old
10-25-2011, 09:38 AM
seabass45

Quote:
He's doing a great job...everyone wants to trade the entire third line. He's here to buffer our cap number to get to the floor, if we really want to be honest about it. Again, I'm not arguing for Souray. But we can't say it was about avoiding the $5m cap hit on a player not worth that money when Garth brought Rolston in on the same price to reach the floor. Is he worth $5m?
Not worth $5 million, but it was either him for one year or Trent Hunter for two. I was happy with the deal at the time.

Don't we have some wiggle room on the cap now that we have Rolston's contract? We could send him to the AHL eventually and call up one of the kids.

seabass45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Please do not speak for everyone.
I for one think he has done ok. the first game of our season i thought he was the best player on the ice. He is not worth the 5M dollar paycheck but he serves a purpose. He is better then TRENT hunter in every aspect.

Old
10-25-2011, 12:05 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

Quote:
You missed my point ENTIRELY.

Souray is a BAD defenseman. I dont care how many points he puts up, he is a negative player, which means when he is on the ice, the opposition scores against his team.

Rolston is NOT a defenseman. He is, at this point, far less of a liability then Souray. One thing we DONT need is a defensive liability.

Isles ABSOLUTELY did the right thing.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 04:01 PM
malPHONEY

Does that make MAB the greatest D-Man ever?

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 11:01 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

The Isles don't need another shooter. They need a puck mover. Isles have virtually zero transition game. I'd rather the team had thrown some cash at Kaberle.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote