HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Dylan McIlrath (2010, 10th overall, Rangers)

Old
10-24-2011, 05:07 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

vCash: 500
I'm a fan, from very limited viewings.

I'm interested to see how he stacks up fighting against NHLers. He certainly won't be your typical rookie fighter. Can be a blessing or a curse having a reputation before even playing a game in the league.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 05:32 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

He'll top out as an average top 4 defender with an obvious edge. He's not a terrible skater, and he's not a terrible decision maker, but he'll never be good enough at both to ever warrant his draft position.

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 05:40 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
He's gonna be a heck of a player. He could reach the playing level of a good #4 while being possibly the most intimidating player in the league.

I'd LOVE to see him fight Kramer, I can't believe he wasnt one of Kramers 47 scraps

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 06:57 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

I recently read a story on Boogaard saying he basically got his ass beat the first 4 years Enforcing when he first started out..Hopefully big Mac will be a faster learning curve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
He may be a good defender, but he'll be in tough when he's up against older, bigger, stronger players. I expect his first couple of pro years will be rough, I hope Rangers fans will be patient with him.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 07:09 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I've seen some of the toughest players in the WHL back down from this guy. Not many will even challenge him to a scrap.
That's a league filled with teenagers. Lets see if it translates to the pros where every team has a series of tough "men".

I think Ranger fans need to temper expectations for this guy until we see him in the pro ranks part of it is probably wanting to justify passing on Fowler and Gormley. IMO its hard to believe McIlrath was the BPA on their board and they drafted more for need

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 07:13 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
I wrote a pre-draft article on him, and I was very high on him. That hasn't yet changed. What's not to love about this kid? 6'5", big reach, tough guy attitude, great in the locker room (he's really a funny guy), and the best part? He's not just a tough guy, he can actually play the game. He won't have a ton of offensive numbers in the NHL, but he could very well develop into a top-4 defenseman.

He's certainly more of a project than Fowler, and while Fowler may have top pairing potential and put up the big offensive numbers, I'd be willing to bet that Dylan McIlrath becomes just as important to the Rangers as Fowler is to the Ducks. He'll clear space for the forwards and make sure nobody comes anywhere close to touching Henrik Lundqvist. With Marc Staal already up there, the Ranger blueline of the future is physically imposing for sure. That's how you win hockey games.
Cannot agree with this at all right now. Fowler is already playing top pairing NHL minutes. I have no doubt McIlrath will contribute in the pros but he will never reach Fowlers level and IMO its ill advised to think he can come close because Fowler is on track to being a possible Norris type guy in the next 3 to 5 years.

its more fair to compare big macs future with a fellow WHL dman...Martin Marincin

Old
10-24-2011, 07:22 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyYourTheDevils View Post
He'll top out as an average top 4 defender with an obvious edge. He's not a terrible skater, and he's not a terrible decision maker, but he'll never be good enough at both to ever warrant his draft position.
Since 2000, one player picked 10th overall became a quality NHL'er (A. Kostitsyn), and Eric Nystrom is a fringe NHLer. Jury still out on a few, but the 10th overall spot hasn't produced much talent recently.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 07:22 PM
skroob**

Quote:
the harshest review is from a devils fan. shocking.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Man Bear Pig

Always reminded me of the old Komisarek. The guy was pretty good until Lucic messed him up. Pure shutdown guy, rocks people, plenty of size and intimidation.

Man Bear Pig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Cannot agree with this at all right now. Fowler is already playing top pairing NHL minutes. I have no doubt McIlrath will contribute in the pros but he will never reach Fowlers level and IMO its ill advised to think he can come close because Fowler is on track to being a possible Norris type guy in the next 3 to 5 years.

its more fair to compare big macs future with a fellow WHL dman...Martin Marincin
???

I wasn't comparing him with Fowler, I only said that he could possibly be as important to the Rangers as Fowler is to the Ducks. I don't care what his offensive numbers look like, Fowler still had the worst +/- rating in the Western Conference. If Dylan McIlrath can put up solid +/- numbers and be an intimidating presence in front of the net, then yes, he can be as important to the Rangers as Fowler is to the Ducks. The game isn't all about offense, my friend ... at no point did I say McIlrath will be the better (or worse) player - I was just making the point that McIlrath can bring some different tools than Fowler can.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:45 PM
T_Cage
VP of Awesome

Quote:
This i think sums it up. He's a good prospect, but not when Fowler and Gormley were still on the board. I said it at the draft and i'm still convinced of it. He won't be a bust either though...so Rangers fans should be happy with him

T_Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:
???

I wasn't comparing him with Fowler, I only said that he could possibly be as important to the Rangers as Fowler is to the Ducks. I don't care what his offensive numbers look like, Fowler still had the worst +/- rating in the Western Conference. If Dylan McIlrath can put up solid +/- numbers and be an intimidating presence in front of the net, then yes, he can be as important to the Rangers as Fowler is to the Ducks. The game isn't all about offense, my friend ... at no point did I say McIlrath will be the better (or worse) player - I was just making the point that McIlrath can bring some different tools than Fowler can.
You have lost all credibility by suggesting Fowler is bad on defense by refering to his +/-.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:30 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
???

It would be a logical fallacy, to suggest that even if McIlrath pans out and makes it as a 2nd pairing Dman, that he is as valuable as a player projecting to be a top end No.1 Dman. Fowler's defense looks a good amount better so far moreso on the puck possession end in his Dzone.

This would be like saying something like Luke Schenn could be as valuable to the Leafs, as Doughty to the Kings, it really makes no sense because the gap in talent and on ice effectiveness is fairly large

Old
10-25-2011, 02:01 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

I think McIlrath can become a good top 4 guy. Perhaps even a #2 defenseman, with the right defensive partner. He's a defenseman you'd like to see on your team and hate to play against.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 03:30 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
You have lost all credibility by suggesting Fowler is bad on defense by refering to his +/-.
Are you trying to suggest it was good last year? Lydman and Vishnovsky got the hard competition and hard zone starts. Fowler with easy minutes still put up some pretty damn bad numbers 5 on 5. I would say his defense was bad last year.

This year he is still getting the weaker minutes but he is at least a plus in possession. He has improved so far.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 03:34 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
That's a league filled with teenagers. Lets see if it translates to the pros where every team has a series of tough "men".

I think Ranger fans need to temper expectations for this guy until we see him in the pro ranks part of it is probably wanting to justify passing on Fowler and Gormley. IMO its hard to believe McIlrath was the BPA on their board and they drafted more for need
But WHL is clearly the toughest major junior league, so it's not like he's playing with 5'6, 145 lbs kids.

Last edited by Pajicz: 10-25-2011 at 03:44 AM.
Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 04:05 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Are you trying to suggest it was good last year? Lydman and Vishnovsky got the hard competition and hard zone starts. Fowler with easy minutes still put up some pretty damn bad numbers 5 on 5. I would say his defense was bad last year.

This year he is still getting the weaker minutes but he is at least a plus in possession. He has improved so far.
Are you making an argument based on observation or statistics? Because your argument seems to be one of stats. Statistically, he looked a lot worse defensively than his on-ice play would suggest. This season, at least so far, it's no contest. He and Beauchemin have been, far and away, the team's best pairing, and the best two defensemen. The stats may not play this out, but I guarantee the vast majority of Anaheim fans will support this. Just like they'll tell you he carried his defensive pairing last season, despite never really having a stable partner, and Anaheim having little depth to speak of beyond the first forward line.

Was he great defensively? No, he looked like an 18-year old defenseman, who needed to get stronger and get some experience at the NHL level. Was he bad? Absolutely not. He was solid positionally, made good decisions with and without the puck, and showed excellent poise. He had some trouble winning board battles, he made the occasional rookie mistake, and sometimes he tried to do a bit too much. But in the end, you could count on him in the defensive zone. And this season, save for one game, he's been stellar.

Fowler's play just seems to make McIlrath's draft position that much more questionable. Does anyone really think McIlrath was the best player available at the time? He should be a solid player, but Fowler isn't exactly coming out of nowhere.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 04:21 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Are you making an argument based on observation or statistics? Because your argument seems to be one of stats. Statistically, he looked a lot worse defensively than his on-ice play would suggest. This season, at least so far, it's no contest. He and Beauchemin have been, far and away, the team's best pairing, and the best two defensemen. The stats may not play this out, but I guarantee the vast majority of Anaheim fans will support this. Just like they'll tell you he carried his defensive pairing last season, despite never really having a stable partner, and Anaheim having little depth to speak of beyond the first forward line.

Was he great defensively? No, he looked like an 18-year old defenseman, who needed to get stronger and get some experience at the NHL level. Was he bad? Absolutely not. He was solid positionally, made good decisions with and without the puck, and showed excellent poise. He had some trouble winning board battles, he made the occasional rookie mistake, and sometimes he tried to do a bit too much. But in the end, you could count on him in the defensive zone. And this season, save for one game, he's been stellar.

Fowler's play just seems to make McIlrath's draft position that much more questionable. Does anyone really think McIlrath was the best player available at the time? He should be a solid player, but Fowler isn't exactly coming out of nowhere.
I use both Sabremetrics and observations when I comment on a player. I can't remember every little detail about a player not would I want to. The numbers usually are close to spot on with what I see. He wasn't as bad as his metrics indicate but he certainly wasn't good. Fowler had bad teammates and I take that into consideration. Lilja and Sibsa were definitely worse defensive players last year.

I have watched 3 Ducks games early this season and he looks much better. He is rarely pinned in his own end unlike last season. He moves the puck quickly and effectively.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 12:15 AM
Pizza

As someone on the Rangers board said: If both players reach their potential, most people would want MacIlrath on their team. Good take imo. I like Fowler as a player. I think he'll continue to be an asset. I'm just glad they finally drafted a player like MacIlrath.

If he got to the point where he played D as well as Mike Sauer did last year, I'd be very happy.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:44 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
As someone on the Rangers board said: If both players reach their potential, most people would want MacIlrath on their team. Good take imo. I like Fowler as a player. I think he'll continue to be an asset. I'm just glad they finally drafted a player like MacIlrath.

If he got to the point where he played D as well as Mike Sauer did last year, I'd be very happy.
What exactly is McIlraths potential then? Pronger? how likely is he to reach it?(IMO his upside is nowhere near that level)

Old
10-26-2011, 02:27 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
What exactly is McIlraths potential then? Pronger? how likely is he to reach it?(IMO his upside is nowhere near that level)
Pronger is right up there with Chara and Lidstrom, McIlrath will never be THAT good and I can say that with confidence. If I'm a Rangers fan I'm hoping he can be a Luke Schenn type. Top 4 shutdown guy with very little offense to his game. Regehr is the kind of player you hope these guys can turn into.

Man Bear Pig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 02:51 AM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
I use both Sabremetrics and observations when I comment on a player. I can't remember every little detail about a player not would I want to. The numbers usually are close to spot on with what I see. He wasn't as bad as his metrics indicate but he certainly wasn't good. Fowler had bad teammates and I take that into consideration. Lilja and Sibsa were definitely worse defensive players last year.

I have watched 3 Ducks games early this season and he looks much better. He is rarely pinned in his own end unlike last season. He moves the puck quickly and effectively.
I have watched almost every game that Cam Fowler has ever played in the NHL including preseason and post season.

You are wrong if you think he is bad defensively, and the fact that you are basing you opinion off of "sabremetrics" is a joke.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 03:29 AM
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy

One of my favorite prospects. Going to be a very good shutdown defenceman, that is able to chip in some points. Not to mention, boy can he throw em'. Unreal fighter.

TheNorthFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 03:57 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Pronger is right up there with Chara and Lidstrom, McIlrath will never be THAT good and I can say that with confidence. If I'm a Rangers fan I'm hoping he can be a Luke Schenn type. Top 4 shutdown guy with very little offense to his game. Regehr is the kind of player you hope these guys can turn into.

He has the potential to be a lot more intimidating, physical and better then Schenn. Will he reach that potential, who knows, most don't. But if everything falls in place he will be a very good #2-3 dman that teams dont want to face.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 04:02 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1983 View Post
He has the potential to be a lot more intimidating, physical and better then Schenn. Will he reach that potential, who knows, most don't. But if everything falls in place he will be a very good #2-3 dman that teams dont want to face.
Except Schenns lateral movement is far supperior. Rangers would be fortunate if he turns into a good 4th dman.