HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick Durability

Old
10-25-2011, 08:41 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
OP you should try out eBay. I got my ST for about $130 there. If you can't find it, try searching for a seller called jauction (I think) and search his item list.

How have you been breaking your sticks though? I just got a Dolomite DD, now I'm kinda worried I'll snap it at some point
I made a post about how a break them a few posts above, but it's mainly a mix of getting slashed a lot, putting a lot of "umph" into my wrist shot, and playing in some relatively fast paced, chippy/physical leagues. I'll check ebay for sure.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:55 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Alright looks like it'll be the Warrior AK Grip, thanks to everyone for your help, it has been sincerely appreciated.

Old
10-25-2011, 10:10 PM
AIREAYE

The ST stands for 'Super Tough'. Good luck with the AK, a good mid-level OPS; but from what I've heard, the Velvet grip peels pretty easily.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:37 PM
Pog Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 View Post
Ok great, that is definitely some good info. I'm definitely leaning towards the Warrior Bandito. Has anyone used that before?
I used a Warrior Bentley, which I think is basically just an older version of the Bandito (Warrior's low-end one piece). It was fine. Like I said, the thing could take a beating. I actually never ended up breaking it. I used it for probably 6 months, but the flex I got (95 I think) was too stiff for me at the time, so I gave it to my brother. I don't know how much he's used it, but he still has it as a back-up stick, like 3 years later...

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:46 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pog Form View Post
I used a Warrior Bentley, which I think is basically just an older version of the Bandito (Warrior's low-end one piece). It was fine. Like I said, the thing could take a beating. I actually never ended up breaking it. I used it for probably 6 months, but the flex I got (95 I think) was too stiff for me at the time, so I gave it to my brother. I don't know how much he's used it, but he still has it as a back-up stick, like 3 years later...
It's not, the Bandito is a newer release than the Bentley and a step above it. The Bentley has carried on throughtout the lineups since its release. The Bandito is comparable to the Swizzle. Don't mean to sound matter-of-factly but I just want to make sure yaknow? I agree though, I haven't heard bad things about Warrior price point sticks either.

Old
10-25-2011, 11:38 PM
duul

vCash: 50
The x40 is actually a really nice stick for that price range.

duul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 11:57 PM
maetix

Agree with the poster above. For $100 or less the Vapor X40 is an amazing stick. Can't really go wrong with it and it looks sick.

maetix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 12:43 AM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by maetix View Post
Agree with the poster above. For $100 or less the Vapor X40 is an amazing stick. Can't really go wrong with it and it looks sick.
I don't know...

the X:40 sure is far from the X:60 or the old XXXX

Personally, I'd hold off for some S17, S19 or SE16 on sale, now that they've been replaced by the latest line...

I've seen the One95 for around that price, and its also a solid stick..

I've not been a huge fan of warrior, and other than the dolomite, I think they're overpriced and to "christian audigier"
The AK27 is quite heavy for a stick of its price and supposed class

I've also seen RBK 11k sticks, along with XXXX's on sale for 100 and sub as well... really, if I were you and lookin @ that ball park range, I'd spend the cash on one of those....
Durability is good enough with any of them IMO (maybe not the S17, but its not terrible)

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:39 AM
MNWild9

I bought two CCM +06 sticks at the start of September I have only used one this whole time. I take slap shots and wrist shots. I've never had a stick feel so great and feels like its not going to break after 3 games like other sticks. I went with the crazy ovi but its your choice of curves. For 50.00 plus 10.00 shipping you can't go wrong (the stick was at my place in three days) here's a link

http://www.hockeyoutlet.com/HOprodin...facturer=CCM#1

MNWild9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 03:41 AM
hyster110

if your worried about durability i woud stay away from the se16, the blades are garbage and they do not last long.

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:53 AM
Pog Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
It's not, the Bandito is a newer release than the Bentley and a step above it. The Bentley has carried on throughtout the lineups since its release. The Bandito is comparable to the Swizzle. Don't mean to sound matter-of-factly but I just want to make sure yaknow? I agree though, I haven't heard bad things about Warrior price point sticks either.
Ah ok, thanks for the heads up. And the Swizzle was basically the Johnson with a new paint job, right?

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:20 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pog Form View Post
Ah ok, thanks for the heads up. And the Swizzle was basically the Johnson with a new paint job, right?
More or less it is

Old
10-26-2011, 10:39 AM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

HVPolarBears?! Are you in Hudson Valley? I live/play in Poughkeepsie.

I was at Wesco in CT last week buying a stick, and I think they had plenty of ST's left around $149.

Baggy Spandex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 05:18 PM
Doland
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

vCash: 566
From my experiences Warriors haven't been very durable

Doland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:30 AM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy Spandex View Post
HVPolarBears?! Are you in Hudson Valley? I live/play in Poughkeepsie.

I was at Wesco in CT last week buying a stick, and I think they had plenty of ST's left around $149.
Haha, I do. Play at the McCann in the "A" League and when I was younger played for the Polar Bears in midget.

Thanks for the advice though guys, it looks like this is a bit of a crapshoot...I was leaning towards the Warrior, but now I'm having 2nd thoughts. It would be great if we could somehow develop a comprehensive review sheet or something since I see this question come out a lot.

Baggy Spandex, what league do you play in?

Old
10-27-2011, 11:31 AM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Donald View Post
From my experiences Warriors haven't been very durable
especially not is really competitive hockey, i knew a guy who went through over a dozen in a span of little over a month

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:14 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've found Warrior blades get chewed up really fast. The old blades pre-HD/DD foams were tanks. I used a DD a few times and there's a chunk out of the blade.

I've been using a Bauer X60 for the last six months and love it, still in great shape, but it does creak when you lean on it. I never break sticks though.

I've had a LOT of Harrow gear though and they are all tanks. Indestructible IMO. Good performance. I think you'd like it. To me it's a bit heavy and they don't have a stiffer intermediate flex so I had to give up on them.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

Quote:

Baggy Spandex, what league do you play in?
Nice to see a local on here, hehe. I play C League. Cento, warriors. Co-worker plays in A on Cooper Coolers. Working my way up, lol.

Old
11-02-2011, 11:55 PM
IDuck

only bauer and warriors for me....although ive been all about warrior on my last 4 sticks (all of which are still going strong)...ive been burned to many times by reebok and easton so i will NEVER buy them again...havent tried other company's so cant speak for those

i have the compairable to the bandito and its a great stick...pretty much your all-around stick, some what light, good pop, and takes a beating

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:06 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kravjitsu View Post
Weird my ST is 100 flex and i think its a lot more whippy than a normal 100.
The ST that I had was a 100 and it felt every bit as strong as your typical 100, if not closer to a 110. I wasn't a fan so I got rid of it.

iamjs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:16 AM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
The ST that I had was a 100 and it felt every bit as strong as your typical 100, if not closer to a 110. I wasn't a fan so I got rid of it.
I picked up an 85 ST iginla for $100, and I cut it down to about a 51" which is about a 90flex...

Its definately not as light as totalOne or X60, BUT it doesn't feel much heavier in use, and I actualty like the load of the shot better than my friend's S19...

This was a genIII stick, but the ST has a really solid feel, that makes me much more confidant with pass recieving than my RM19, or S11

From a shot perspective, it loads nicely and the kick point "feels" less noticable than the S19 though the results are very favorable and easy to aim for height.... Does it feel like a 90 stick since I've cut it?... maybe?

From a stick handling perspective, though maybe grams heavier, it feels good though is blade heavy. Doesn't matter to me, I can feel the puck and the blade acctualty reminds me more of a wood stick... though the X60 has a touch better feel.

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Stickmata

I play only Eastons (ST, SE16, S19) and I've found they are incredibly durable.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 02:49 PM
noobman

I've seen some higher end Eastons blow up (though not as fast as Reebok sticks, those things don't even look like they're built for shooting), but the S5 is a pretty durable stick at its $80 price point.

The Easton Synergy ST is, as far as I'm concerned, *the* best stick for a beer leaguer. For the price you pay you're getting a stick that's both well-made and durable.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:33 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy Spandex View Post
Nice to see a local on here, hehe. I play C League. Cento, warriors. Co-worker plays in A on Cooper Coolers. Working my way up, lol.
Haha, we just played them tonight, beat them 5-3 but it was a real fast, solid game. Also tried out my new stick...ended up settling on a Bauer One60 because I was forced to buy one at the rink in a pinch. Anyone have any experience with this? I wasn't hugely sold on it but I liked the weight to it and it had the right flex and curve.

Old
11-03-2011, 11:35 PM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

Quote:
Haha, we just played them tonight, beat them 5-3 but it was a real fast, solid game. Also tried out my new stick...ended up settling on a Bauer One60 because I was forced to buy one at the rink in a pinch. Anyone have any experience with this? I wasn't hugely sold on it but I liked the weight to it and it had the right flex and curve.
Nice!

I don't have experience with a one60, but I just picked up a one100 in 87fl and a P88 curve. I like it so far. I was used to Sakic curves and wanted to try something a little less aggressive. Never used the Supreme line, but I think it'll be a good fit for me.