HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

G Jacob Markstrom (2008, 31st overall, Florida; traded to Vancouver)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-25-2011, 05:16 PM
  #276
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
Lehner's a year younger and more accomplished but Markstrom has looked great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
I agree that they're both major prospects. I personally don't know which one is better because I haven't had a chance to compare the two and, honestly, I wouldn't be able to tell which one had more potential as a goalie anyway. I'm legitimately just wondering what makes Markstrom the better prospect when Lehner is more accomplished and younger? It's not like Lehner is small either -- he's 6'4 and from what I've seen of him he has incredibly good reflexes and sees the puck real well.
What makes Lehner more accomplished? Some of Markstrom's accomplishments include:

- 2009/10 SEL rookie of the year
- 2009/10 SEL Honken Trophy (the SEL version of the Vezina), also had the top sv% in the league and lowest GAA in the league
- unbelievable at the 2009 WJCs, won top goaltender of the tourney and lead his team to a silver
- great again at the 2010 WJCs and 2010 WC, won bronze both times

Lehner is more accomplished than that . . . how? He played great in the AHL playoffs on route to his Calder Cup MVP, but that's his only accomplishment on par with Markstrom's.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 05:21 PM
  #277
Curtinho
YNWA
 
Curtinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
What makes Lehner more accomplished? Some of Markstrom's accomplishments include:

- 2009/10 SEL rookie of the year
- 2009/10 SEL Honken Trophy (the SEL version of the Vezina), also had the top sv% in the league and lowest GAA in the league
- unbelievable at the 2009 WJCs, won top goaltender of the tourney and lead his team to a silver
- great again at the 2010 WJCs and 2010 WC, won bronze both times

Lehner is more accomplished than that . . . how? He played great in the AHL playoffs on route to his Calder Cup MVP, but that's his only accomplishment on par with Markstrom's.
I figured this is what people would care about more in terms of accomplishments. Maybe you can consider them equals? Lehner has also played well internationally but I'm too lazy to look everything up right now as I'm about to leave for the Sens game.

Also Lehner wasn't great, he was incredible in that playoff run. Look at the team he put on his back and the numbers he put up. He wouldn't be denied.

I'm really just asking for a comparison or an in depth analysis as to why one is better or has a better future than the other.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 05:24 PM
  #278
Panthers are Red
Why so sad?
 
Panthers are Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: By my computer
Country: England
Posts: 514
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Completely and utterly stole the game for the Panthers. I've been so impressed with this kid every time I've seen him internationally (both WJCs and his WC games), seems like he's picking up right where he left off. Was surprised when he started off last year so poorly in the AHL, but I believe he finished the year strong, and his talent is clear to see. Great goalie prospect, IMO the #1 goalie prospect in the world.
I agree with everything you say. I can't stop talking about him at the moment.

Took him a bit of time to adjust to the AHL when he first moved over, wasn't really anything to worry about.

Panthers are Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 05:54 PM
  #279
Eadig
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
I figured this is what people would care about more in terms of accomplishments. Maybe you can consider them equals? Lehner has also played well internationally but I'm too lazy to look everything up right now as I'm about to leave for the Sens game.

Also Lehner wasn't great, he was incredible in that playoff run. Look at the team he put on his back and the numbers he put up. He wouldn't be denied.

I'm really just asking for a comparison or an in depth analysis as to why one is better or has a better future than the other.

You can say the same thing about Markstrom when he played in Brynas in Sweden, he carried a team that should of been one of the worst teams in the League into the playoffs.

As to a comparison, people rank Markstrom higher because of his size and his athletic ability, goalies of his size are rarely as athletic as he is which is why people say that if his potential is reached would be the better goalie. And to me anyway, one year difference doesn't matter for goalies, they take longer to develop so by the time that they both establish themselves in the NHL that year difference imo, doesn't matter.

Eadig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 06:33 PM
  #280
svartgul
Hata Löven
 
svartgul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Beyond the Infinite
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,462
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
Only a Sens fan would rank Lenher's accolades higher than Markström's at this point in time. A good playoff run is one thing, but two full seasons of dominating the SEL is another.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Eadig View Post
You can say the same thing about Markstrom when he played in Brynas in Sweden, he carried a team that should of been one of the worst teams in the League into the playoffs.
Without Markström they would probably be in Allsvenskan right about now far away from the SEL playoffs.

svartgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 06:38 PM
  #281
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by svartgul View Post
Only a Sens fan would rank Lenher's accolades higher than Markström's at this point in time. A good playoff run is one thing, but two full seasons of dominating the SEL is another.
Not to mention playing absolutely outstanding hockey in all 3 of the major international tourneys he's played in (his two WJCs and his WC). Has Lehner even made the team for any of the major tourneys?

(I consider the major international tourneys to be the WJCs, WC and Olympics)

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 06:39 PM
  #282
umwoz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,910
vCash: 500
People seem to forget quickly that the SEL is at least equal to the AHL.

Now let's hope Florida doesn't trade him to Vancouver for Bertuzzi, Auld, and Allen.

umwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:43 PM
  #283
Curtinho
YNWA
 
Curtinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eadig View Post
You can say the same thing about Markstrom when he played in Brynas in Sweden, he carried a team that should of been one of the worst teams in the League into the playoffs.

As to a comparison, people rank Markstrom higher because of his size and his athletic ability, goalies of his size are rarely as athletic as he is which is why people say that if his potential is reached would be the better goalie. And to me anyway, one year difference doesn't matter for goalies, they take longer to develop so by the time that they both establish themselves in the NHL that year difference imo, doesn't matter.
Right but Lehner is very athletic aswell and is also 6'4. On top of that Binghamton LIMPED into the playoffs (barely) and Lehner I believe came in when they were down 0 - 3 in the first round to the 2nd best team in the league and Lehner won 3 (4?) straight overtime games literally willing his team to win. I get that Markstrom took Brynas to the playoffs, but Lehner put Binghamton on his back and carried them to the gold.

That said is Markstrom a much better athlete than Lehner? There isn't much of a size difference (2 inches, 6'4 vs. 6'6) and I know that Lehner has a great coach in his father (who coaches/coached Lundqvist.)

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:00 PM
  #284
Emerica
Thank You Alfie
 
Emerica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
So what leads you guys to believe that Markstrom is going to be better than Lehner? What holes are there in Lehner's game or ability that Markstrom does better? I'm curious because I haven't seen much of Markstrom and I don't think I'm a great judge of a goalie's talents anyway. I only have stats to go by which, in similar situations, Lehner has put up much better numbers while being younger.
Way to hijack a thread bud.

Emerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:02 PM
  #285
Eadig
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
Right but Lehner is very athletic aswell and is also 6'4. On top of that Binghamton LIMPED into the playoffs (barely) and Lehner I believe came in when they were down 0 - 3 in the first round to the 2nd best team in the league and Lehner won 3 (4?) straight overtime games literally willing his team to win. I get that Markstrom took Brynas to the playoffs, but Lehner put Binghamton on his back and carried them to the gold.

That said is Markstrom a much better athlete than Lehner? There isn't much of a size difference (2 inches, 6'4 vs. 6'6) and I know that Lehner has a great coach in his father (who coaches/coached Lundqvist.)
According to the Ottawa website which should be the most accurate after training camp, Lehner is 6'3 which makes it 3 inch difference but even 2 inches makes a big difference in net, especially for butterfly goalies. For me I would say that for being an athlete, in terms of ability, you could make an argument for both but in my personal opinion I would give the edge to Markstrom, its just that Markstrom proved year after year that he is one of the top goalies wherever he plays, while Lehner had one amazing playoff run, which reminds me of Cam Ward, Ward is one of the top goalies but from what I've read on these boards, more people would choose Carey Price even though Ward won a Conn Smythe and Price has never been to the cup finals. That's why imo people rate Markstrom than Lehner. But let this thread stay on topic since it was made for Markstrom.


Last edited by Eadig: 10-25-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Eadig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:06 PM
  #286
Eadig
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 608
vCash: 500
double post

Eadig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:50 AM
  #287
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
So what leads you guys to believe that Markstrom is going to be better than Lehner? What holes are there in Lehner's game or ability that Markstrom does better? I'm curious because I haven't seen much of Markstrom and I don't think I'm a great judge of a goalie's talents anyway. I only have stats to go by which, in similar situations, Lehner has put up much better numbers while being younger.
Funny, because Markstrom's NHL numbers blow Lehner's out of the water. Right now, Markstrom is better. That's all we can say. When Lehner gets more starts in the NHL, then we can compare. But with the NHL numbers and performance Markstrom has in just over three games so far, I think he's earned the right to be called better for now.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:01 AM
  #288
Curtinho
YNWA
 
Curtinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Funny, because Markstrom's NHL numbers blow Lehner's out of the water. Right now, Markstrom is better. That's all we can say. When Lehner gets more starts in the NHL, then we can compare. But with the NHL numbers and performance Markstrom has in just over three games so far, I think he's earned the right to be called better for now.
Right and Lehner's numbers last year were better than Markstrom's in the NHL.

Anyway, I digress. Thank you for this:

Quote:
According to the Ottawa website which should be the most accurate after training camp, Lehner is 6'3 which makes it 3 inch difference but even 2 inches makes a big difference in net, especially for butterfly goalies. For me I would say that for being an athlete, in terms of ability, you could make an argument for both but in my personal opinion I would give the edge to Markstrom, its just that Markstrom proved year after year that he is one of the top goalies wherever he plays, while Lehner had one amazing playoff run, which reminds me of Cam Ward, Ward is one of the top goalies but from what I've read on these boards, more people would choose Carey Price even though Ward won a Conn Smythe and Price has never been to the cup finals. That's why imo people rate Markstrom than Lehner. But let this thread stay on topic since it was made for Markstrom.
I guess time will tell. Either way I think Markstrom will be an elite goaltender.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:14 AM
  #289
pb1300
#CatsAreComing
 
pb1300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Aiyio, Greece
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Every thread on either one of these guys turns into a pissing match about which is better.

How about we just salute Markstrom for what he is....which is a great young goalie.
This, and its all because a Sens fan had to come in and mention Lehner, when the thread was clearly about Markstrom.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:17 AM
  #290
pb1300
#CatsAreComing
 
pb1300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Aiyio, Greece
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
Right but Lehner is very athletic aswell and is also 6'4. On top of that Binghamton LIMPED into the playoffs (barely) and Lehner I believe came in when they were down 0 - 3 in the first round to the 2nd best team in the league and Lehner won 3 (4?) straight overtime games literally willing his team to win. I get that Markstrom took Brynas to the playoffs, but Lehner put Binghamton on his back and carried them to the gold.

That said is Markstrom a much better athlete than Lehner? There isn't much of a size difference (2 inches, 6'4 vs. 6'6) and I know that Lehner has a great coach in his father (who coaches/coached Lundqvist.)
Dude, STOP hijacking the thread man. You want to try and compare Lehner to Markstrom, then go create a thread about it.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:55 AM
  #291
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons
 
Ghost in the Shell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 9,681
vCash: 500
Just ignore him, he likes to play favorites and rams home his point until it completely sidetracks the thread... See it so often on the sens board.

Markstrom is great, lets leave it at that.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:00 AM
  #292
Curtinho
YNWA
 
Curtinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
Just ignore him, he likes to play favorites and rams home his point until it completely sidetracks the thread... See it so often on the sens board.

Markstrom is great, lets leave it at that.
Way to read the thread.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:09 AM
  #293
The Mauve Avenger
Registered User
 
The Mauve Avenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 696
vCash: 500
The only issues I had with Markstrom the last time I watched him was his maturity and rebound control. I haven't watched many games from him since, so from Panthers fans that have watched him - Has he improved those aspects of his game?

The Mauve Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:43 AM
  #294
Erick*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 13,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mauve Avenger View Post
The only issues I had with Markstrom the last time I watched him was his maturity and rebound control. I haven't watched many games from him since, so from Panthers fans that have watched him - Has he improved those aspects of his game?
Maturity seems great; rebound control is something he needs to work on.

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:43 AM
  #295
pb1300
#CatsAreComing
 
pb1300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Aiyio, Greece
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mauve Avenger View Post
The only issues I had with Markstrom the last time I watched him was his maturity and rebound control. I haven't watched many games from him since, so from Panthers fans that have watched him - Has he improved those aspects of his game?
He is 21 years old now, so Im sure he isnt as mature as an older, more seasoned NHL veteran, but he seems to be mature. His rebound control does need to be worked on, but like I just said, he is 21 years old. He has all the natural gifts needed to become a stellar goalie, and with the right tweaks, he can correct his flaws. The reason why he made some great saves against the Habs last night was because of the rebounds he created, but given his mentality and work ethic, I have no doubt he will work on his flaws.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:45 AM
  #296
pb1300
#CatsAreComing
 
pb1300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Aiyio, Greece
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
Way to read the thread.
Way to read the title of the thread. Its not a poll or topic regarding Markstrom versus Lehner, or anyone else for that matter, its about Markstrom.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:55 AM
  #297
The Mauve Avenger
Registered User
 
The Mauve Avenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
He is 21 years old now, so Im sure he isnt as mature as an older, more seasoned NHL veteran, but he seems to be mature. His rebound control does need to be worked on, but like I just said, he is 21 years old. He has all the natural gifts needed to become a stellar goalie, and with the right tweaks, he can correct his flaws. The reason why he made some great saves against the Habs last night was because of the rebounds he created, but given his mentality and work ethic, I have no doubt he will work on his flaws.
Thank you!

The Mauve Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 06:34 PM
  #298
CoolburnIsGone
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,072
vCash: 500
Markstrom: All-world goalie prospect and...dancer?!?!!

Seriously if you haven't seen it yet, its worth watching and hilarious. Thanks to Jessica, one of the San Antonio Rampage fans on here, for posting this in our Rampage tracking thread. Does anyone think he starts dancing like this more frequently? I think hockey needs more players with personality like this and if his stellar play wasn't enough, this is definitely gonna make Markie a fan favorite no matter where he plays.

CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 07:03 PM
  #299
Dosing
Registered User
 
Dosing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Edenryd
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,503
vCash: 500
lol was hoping for an almost as good as talking with dolls vid but this is even better

he gets the audience dancing hahahahah

Dosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 07:08 PM
  #300
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas A&M
Country: Latvia
Posts: 22,475
vCash: 500
What's he doing on the Rampage...?

Hilarious, though. Kinda reminds me of Bryz.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.