HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where is the life?

Old
10-25-2011, 09:16 PM
ZMan17
U of A!!!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ZMan17
Where is the life?

So I just watched the end of the Lightning-Sabres game, and despite the fact that they lost, this Sabres team was the complete antithesis of the Isles. In the 3rd period alone, this team was agressive on all lines, had great chemistry and puck movement, was winning battles in the corners, and even after the Lightning went up 4-2 with less than 2 minutes left, they fought back and scored with :45 left to make it 4-3, and put a ton of pressure on Garon (who has been INCREDIBLE lately, but that's beside the fact).

The entire time I was just wishing that our team could show ANY of these things. The aggressiveness, the chemistry and the never-say-die attitude that the Sabres showed tonight is exactly what we gotta be. Buffalo isn't a team full of star-studded players (Miller, Vanek, Myers...) but nor are we. We don't really need a bunch of all-stars, but if we play like they did we will be winning games or making ourselves a tough opponent, no doubt. Only problem is, where is this fire and life in us?

ZMan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:40 PM
Islanderfan17

I was literally just about to post a thread with the SAME title and the SAME reasoning behind it. I completely agree, I watch other teams and I see teams that WANT to win. I say teams that, even when they lose, GO DOWN FIGHTING! With this team I see absolutely none of that and quite frankly it sickens me. There is absolutely no fight in this team WHATSOEVER! What do I think the problem is? I think we have way too many guys on this team who have no confidence in themselves and are mentally WEAK. Guys like Josh Bailey, Blake Comeau, Kyle Okposo, Brian Rolston (Don't care if he's a vet, he isn't gritty at all) and so on and so forth.

What is my solution at this point? Well, if we can't make a trade for a good player and dump some of our "weaker minded" players as I like to call them, then DIP INTO OUR FARM SYSTEM! We have quite a few young guys from Bridgeport that come to mind who are talented, gritty, and hungry for a shot in the NHL. That's the exact kind of attitude we NEED right now, we need guys on this team who WANT to prove something rather than guys that are just going to sit along for the ride. Replace Josh Bailey with Casey Cizikas, a kid who is known to be a gritty and hard working player. What about Ullstrom? De Haan? Ness? MICHAEL HALEY?!

This team needs some god damn jump to their game, that's the ONLY problem I see. There is no compete level outside of our goalies, John Tavares, and the fourth friggen line! It's sad but true.

I'm currently thinking of what other teams to follow this season, because there is no way I can only watch the Islander games and stay sane. NOT with a team like this, NOT with a team that has a complete lack of heart and grit to their game. I can support a team that is losing but trying to do everything they can to win, but I cannot support a team that is filled with a bunch of completely unenthusiastic/motivated hockey players. It sickens me and gives me a headache (Literally, I had a headache sitting at the game tonight).

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
I was literally just about to post a thread with the SAME title and the SAME reasoning behind it. I completely agree, I watch other teams and I see teams that WANT to win. I say teams that, even when they lose, GO DOWN FIGHTING!
I have noticed the same thing. Do you think any of it has something to do that there is no real demand to win from the owner or management?

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 07:30 AM
Symon Asher

The life left with Z and Haley at the Bridge

Symon Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 07:33 AM
Brunomics

Grabner/Moulson/Okposo are all suffering from the new contract hangover. None of them want to play in the dirty areas of the rink. Moulson isn't even going to the net really anymore, Grabner is floating still looking for breakways and Okposo would get bullied by a midget player if given the chance. Comeau is the half wit of hockey, Rolston is playing out his last year and Nielsen is thinking the game too much.

Capuano needs to bag skate this team today, no pucks just a punishment skate for the pathetic start to this season.

Last edited by Brunomics: 10-26-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:58 AM
NYI78

Quote:
I was literally just about to post a thread with the SAME title and the SAME reasoning behind it. I completely agree, I watch other teams and I see teams that WANT to win. I say teams that, even when they lose, GO DOWN FIGHTING! With this team I see absolutely none of that and quite frankly it sickens me. There is absolutely no fight in this team WHATSOEVER! What do I think the problem is? I think we have way too many guys on this team who have no confidence in themselves and are mentally WEAK. Guys like Josh Bailey, Blake Comeau, Kyle Okposo, Brian Rolston (Don't care if he's a vet, he isn't gritty at all) and so on and so forth.

What is my solution at this point? Well, if we can't make a trade for a good player and dump some of our "weaker minded" players as I like to call them, then DIP INTO OUR FARM SYSTEM! We have quite a few young guys from Bridgeport that come to mind who are talented, gritty, and hungry for a shot in the NHL. That's the exact kind of attitude we NEED right now, we need guys on this team who WANT to prove something rather than guys that are just going to sit along for the ride. Replace Josh Bailey with Casey Cizikas, a kid who is known to be a gritty and hard working player. What about Ullstrom? De Haan? Ness? MICHAEL HALEY?!

This team needs some god damn jump to their game, that's the ONLY problem I see. There is no compete level outside of our goalies, John Tavares, and the fourth friggen line! It's sad but true.

I'm currently thinking of what other teams to follow this season, because there is no way I can only watch the Islander games and stay sane. NOT with a team like this, NOT with a team that has a complete lack of heart and grit to their game. I can support a team that is losing but trying to do everything they can to win, but I cannot support a team that is filled with a bunch of completely unenthusiastic/motivated hockey players. It sickens me and gives me a headache (Literally, I had a headache sitting at the game tonight).
the only person you can make a case for calling up is haley...no one else down their is anywhere close to being ready

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:19 AM
Wedregast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2010 View Post
I have noticed the same thing. Do you think any of it has something to do that there is no real demand to win from the owner or management?
They are professional athletes. Management shouldn't have to demand they win. If they don't have that desire already they won't remain professional athletes for long.

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:21 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
the only person you can make a case for calling up is haley...no one else down their is anywhere close to being ready
After seeing his stints up here and down in the Bridge I'm starting to think Dibenedetto deserves a shot up with the club. He may not fight but he's physical and can play the game.

Old
10-26-2011, 09:25 AM
Words Of Wisdom

I agree this team shows no heart. It seems like they dont care if they lose... But maybe the islanders are just not a good team, or maybe their coach is not a legit NHL Coach..

Words Of Wisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:27 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
After seeing his stints up here and down in the Bridge I'm starting to think Dibenedetto deserves a shot up with the club. He may not fight but he's physical and can play the game.
the only time he is physical is after the whistle blows and someone is looking the other way, he has played well but he is not a physical

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:32 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
the only time he is physical is after the whistle blows and someone is looking the other way, he has played well but he is not a physical
That would make him the second toughest player on the Isles though.

When he had his stint up here I thought he played physical not Matt Martin physicial but he would do what he had to in the corners, go to the net, things like that which this team has none of.

Old
10-26-2011, 09:40 AM
Sneekypete

Quote:
I agree, what Dibo is famous for though is taking jabs after a whistle , starting scrums. He has drawn a few penalties by doing this.

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:51 AM
NineHoleGoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
I agree, what Dibo is famous for though is taking jabs after a whistle , starting scrums. He has drawn a few penalties by doing this.
I think Dibo is also a relentless fore-checker and he does go hard to the net.

NineHoleGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedregast View Post
They are professional athletes. Management shouldn't have to demand they win. If they don't have that desire already they won't remain professional athletes for long.
On the Island they will. Failure is clearly no big deal to this management.

Old
10-26-2011, 10:19 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
That's bull and you know it. Garth or Wang do not go home at night and say "Oh Great we lost again!"
"How can we find more ways to lose?"
"Maybe instead of 5 skaters we'll just skate 2 or 3 because we really really want to lose!!!"
"Hell, maybe we won't even show up and just forfeit!"

Come on.

10-26-2011, 10:27 AM
Wedregast

Quote:
It might be true, if it made even the slightest bit of sense, which it doesn't.

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Doshell Propivo

Pssst.... Perhaps it is this little thing called talent. Which this team clearly lacks. The Islanders are playing up to their potential and up to realistic expectations. It IS still early and anything can happen but I'm amazed that people who follow the team so closely are surprised by the play so far.

They just ain't that good. And having the coach "punish" the team () will accomplish nothing. This isn't a high school team. Neither will bringing in a new coach (took you guys long enough to start the "fire the coach" cry).

This team is a hodgepodge of neophytes, overachieving one dimensional rejects, aging 3rd tier FA's and AHL fodder. It is what it is.

They are 12th in the conference. To the objective observer, things are right on track.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
That's bull and you know it. Garth or Wang do not go home at night and say "Oh Great we lost again!"
"How can we find more ways to lose?"
"Maybe instead of 5 skaters we'll just skate 2 or 3 because we really really want to lose!!!"
"Hell, maybe we won't even show up and just forfeit!"

Come on.

It is not bull, and you SHOULD know it. What they are doing is not working, yet they continue with the same failed game plan. More proof is how long Wang kept MM around for. Wang and now Snow just do not care.

Old
10-26-2011, 11:13 AM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedregast View Post
It might be true, if it made even the slightest bit of sense, which it doesn't.
Are you actually implying there is a real demand to win from Wang/Snow?

What they are doing is not working, yet they continue with the same failed game plan. More proof is how long Wang kept MM around for. Wang and now Snow just do not care.

Old
10-26-2011, 11:31 AM
number72

I think Dipietro sucked the life out of the team the day he got injured. Sigh!

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:38 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshell Propivo View Post
Pssst.... Perhaps it is this little thing called talent. Which this team clearly lacks. The Islanders are playing up to their potential and up to realistic expectations. It IS still early and anything can happen but I'm amazed that people who follow the team so closely are surprised by the play so far.

They just ain't that good. And having the coach "punish" the team () will accomplish nothing. This isn't a high school team. Neither will bringing in a new coach (took you guys long enough to start the "fire the coach" cry).

This team is a hodgepodge of neophytes, overachieving one dimensional rejects, aging 3rd tier FA's and AHL fodder. It is what it is.

They are 12th in the conference. To the objective observer, things are right on track.
I agree with the talent comment to a certain extent. Beyond Tavares, Streit, Moulson, Grabner & Hamonic (maybe Macdonald too), this team is lacking NHL talent. Nielsen is a fine 3rd line center, and Okposo is a fine 3rd line wing. Montoya and Nabakov are playing very well, Montoya has proven to me he is a starting NHL goaltender, as has Nabakov. Though neither are elite goalies.

We knew this going into the season though. Talent wise, this is not, or will never be a playoff team. Injuries aside last year, they just don't have the talent pool to match up with other playoff teams. And signing Staois, Pandolfo and Reasoner aren't going to get you over the hump to get them into the playoffs, all well past their primes, and have not added leadership.

Until the owner adds meaningful talent to this team, via free agency, or trades, this team will be bottom feeders. Its a vicious cycle though, good team=more fans attending=more money to put back into the team, poor team=less fans showing up=no money being put into the team. I get what they are trying to do with youth, but you need talent+grit, and a good defense. Only Streit, Hamonic and MacDonald would get playing time on other teams. The rest of our defense is below average. Also, this team is missing heart, outside of Tavares, Hamonic and Martin, I don't see guys playing with heart.

Last edited by scott99: 10-26-2011 at 11:45 AM.
scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I agree with the talent to a certain extent. Beyond Tavares, Streit, Moulson, Grabner & Hamonic (maybe Macdonald too), this team is lacking NHL talent. Nielsen is a fine 3rd line center, ans Okposo is a fine 3rd line wing. Montoya and Nabakov are plying very well, Montoya has proven to me he is a starting NHL goaltender, as has Nabakov. Though neither are elite goalies.

We knew this going into the season though. Talent wise, this is not, or will never be a playoff team. Injuries aside last year, they just don't have the talent pool to match up with other playoff teams. And signing Staois, Pandolfo and Reasoner aren't going to get you over the hump to get them into the playoffs, all well past their primes, and have not added leadership.

Until the owner adds meaningful talent to this team, via free agency, or trades, this team will be bottom feeders. Its a vicious cycle though, good team=more fans attending=more money to put back into the team, poor team=less fans showing up=no money being put into the team. I get what they are trying to do with youth, but you need talent+grit, and a good defense. Only Streit, Hamonic and MacDonald would get playing time on other teams. The rest of our defense is below average.
I completely agree with all of the above. Sadly, if this is how they are going to be this season then both me and my father have agreed it'll be our last as season ticket holders. One thing I cannot tolerate is a team that doesn't have much of a compete level, I don't ask for much from my sports teams but putting in a damn good effort is one of them and if that's not even happening then I become very dissatisfied.

Time to start also following a couple of Western Conference Teams to keep myself sane and to keep hockey fresh and fun, cause right now the Isles are killing me

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
I completely agree with all of the above. Sadly, if this is how they are going to be this season then both me and my father have agreed it'll be our last as season ticket holders. One thing I cannot tolerate is a team that doesn't have much of a compete level, I don't ask for much from my sports teams but putting in a damn good effort is one of them and if that's not even happening then I become very dissatisfied.

Time to start also following a couple of Western Conference Teams to keep myself sane and to keep hockey fresh and fun, cause right now the Isles are killing me
I don't mean this with ANY disrespect but why did you buy seasons this year? Were you expecting a better product and better results when you looked at the lineup in September?

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 12:32 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
It is not bull, and you SHOULD know it. What they are doing is not working, yet they continue with the same failed game plan. More proof is how long Wang kept MM around for. Wang and now Snow just do not care.
Your going to use MM as your logic? If so, I am done discussing this with you. NO ONE goes home at night happy about losing regardless of the strategy that is being employed.

Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
Your going to use MM as your logic? If so, I am done discussing this with you. NO ONE goes home at night happy about losing regardless of the strategy that is being employed.
Did you miss this part? "What they are doing is not working, yet they continue with the same failed game plan."

I also did not say they are happy about it. I said they do not just do not care. So please stick to what I said. FACT is that Wang and Snow NEVER get outraged over losing. They NEVER demand better. There is a a laid back, nothing matters attitude on the Island. Even from many of the fans.