HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

TFP and Ottawa Sun: Kostitsyn available to be traded

Old
10-26-2011, 07:56 AM
Aeneas

vCash: 500
whats the thought on AK46 signing here next here, would he hit the market if we dont trade?

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:01 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamiltonhabfan10 View Post
whats the thought on AK46 signing here next here, would he hit the market if we dont trade?
That's up to Gauthier or if fired the new GM coming in. If they think Kostitsyn is a player they want to keep then sign him, if they don't want him going forward then they must trade him and try to get something in return

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:18 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
If JM is still the coach (and PG the GM), AK is likely gone by the deadline and for sure gone in the off season, imo.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:52 AM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

If people could only accept players the way they are and how they can contribute

AK is more valuable than people will admit. He is really developing a well rounded top 9 game while banking on a 40-60 pts contribution at a spot on salary.

AK is a force out there, by far one of our best players of this season. Yes, we need to concede that at the off time he will have a brain cramp. Yes, he will not be consistent in point production. But, his game is getting more and more consistent with his experience in the league.

He is a keeper. He is a top-tier quality depth player, unlike most of the signings done by Habs management in recent years.

A smart GM will extend him, just like PK and Price.

Habs management had PLENTY of opportunities to fix the roster without touching the core elements. Dismantling the core elements now will not solidify the roster, it will only create more gaps.

The dam is leaking and the bubble gum approach was stretched way past the limit.

It's not tanking to use the assets that you have. It's tanking if you don't know how to structure your roster with the proper assets unlike the Flyers for example.

This hockey club was mismanaged plain and simple. And the bubble is just bursting onto their face.

The players know it and management in recent years has done nothing to boost the confidence of the group of players - exception noted of the revamp that brought Gomez-Gionta-Cammalerri that - for now - is going sour.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:59 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Fire JM and then we'll still have AK46.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
He absolutely has. Taking a wuss team full of kids to game 7 against the big, bad Bruins is pretty impressive. His other heriocs thru injuries don't need repeating.

And now injuries again, and no benefit of the doubt?

For me, it's the first round mistakes made by Gainey and Timmins that are finally hitting us. No Getzlaf, no Kopitar, no Parise, no Giroux (a 2nd round no-brainer), on and on. You don't take a goalie fifth overall, sorry. Price is very good, but he's no Marty Brodeur.

With no size in our top 6, why in the world would a skilled UFA come here to dig out pucks by themselves in the corner?
I hated the Gainey days, he set us back a decade, and Timmins can really be terrible in the first round. However, to me, Martin hasn't performed mircles he's just done his job with the tools he has.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:39 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Kostitsyn might as well be wearing snowshoes with his agility.
Bizarre statement and biased... immediately followed by another.
Quote:
I guess you forgot what Martin has done for this team. Wait, I know. Let's bring in Reggie Houle again.
And what has Martin done for this team? He is a sub-500 coach with the Habs that rode the back of a hot goaltender for a couple of series and will forever be canonized for it. Gimme a break.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:25 PM
habitue*

If Gauthier can Package A.K. + another player + a 1st pick, can we get Shea Weber ?

If so: do it NOW !

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 02:03 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Bizarre statement and biased... immediately followed by another.

And what has Martin done for this team? He is a sub-500 coach with the Habs that rode the back of a hot goaltender for a couple of series and will forever be canonized for it. Gimme a break.
False. He has a winning record with the Habs.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 02:15 PM
Miller Time

Quote:

I think it's a given that he won't be back next season... at least short of a management/coaching change or major roster movement up front.

we either won't be able to, or won't want to, match the kind of offers he's likely to receive (let's not forget Ryder left here, after a terrible season, and got paid 4M$+ as a UFA... Kost is more talented, and more likely to be considered ready to up production in a different system than Ryder probably was).

We can't really afford to pay him much more than he's already earning, not with the 28M$ already locked up in the other 5 veteran forwards.

Cole's signing pretty much guaranteed Kost wouldn't be back after this year from a financial POV, and really, from a player POV, why would Kost consider coming back to play for Martin for anything short of a "beat the market" contract offer from the habs.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 02:16 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
If Gauthier can Package A.K. + another player + a 1st pick, can we get Shea Weber ?

If by other player you mean Subban..

Lars The GOAT Eller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Stradale

Quote:

And why would Nashville do that?

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Toro

At this point 80% ot the habe are available in a trade if it improves our club. Kostitsyn is in the same boat as many others.

no real news here

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 03:18 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
I think it's a given that he won't be back next season... at least short of a management/coaching change or major roster movement up front.

we either won't be able to, or won't want to, match the kind of offers he's likely to receive (let's not forget Ryder left here, after a terrible season, and got paid 4M$+ as a UFA... Kost is more talented, and more likely to be considered ready to up production in a different system than Ryder probably was).

We can't really afford to pay him much more than he's already earning, not with the 28M$ already locked up in the other 5 veteran forwards.

Cole's signing pretty much guaranteed Kost wouldn't be back after this year from a financial POV, and really, from a player POV, why would Kost consider coming back to play for Martin for anything short of a "beat the market" contract offer from the habs.
Depends on what happens with Gomez. With how Eller is progressing I wouldn't be surprised if they find a way to dump Gomez this offseason, even if its to the AHL resulting in plenty of space for forwards.

They could also might be able to retain Kostitsyn for a Cole like contract even with Gomez but that depends a lot on the new CBA/cap ceilling is like, how much Subban and Price get and what happens on defense. All of which is impossible to predict at this point.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 03:24 PM
Jerky

Quote:

It would take the moon to get Weber.....we have a much better chance of asking for Suter, who's a UFA at season's end

Kostitsyn, Beaulieu and a conditional 1st in 2013 for Suter and a conditional 2nd in 2013

(the condition being he signs with us long term/ Kostitsyn signs with them long term)

Jerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 03:26 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Depends on what happens with Gomez. With how Eller is progressing I wouldn't be surprised if they find a way to dump Gomez this offseason, even if its to the AHL resulting in plenty of space for forwards.

They could also might be able to retain Kostitsyn for a Cole like contract even with Gomez but that depends a lot on the new CBA/cap ceilling is like, how much Subban and Price get and what happens on defense. All of which is impossible to predict at this point.
all true, that's why i mentioned "major roster movement up front" as a caveat...

but even in that case, do you see PG/JM wanting to invest 4M$+ in a player like Kost, who has found himself in/out of the dog house every year, and who gets ~15min a game?

i don't see it.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 03:44 PM
ROEN
HabsHQ

I'm going to have a piece up on some of the rumors people have been linking between Montreal and Columbus check it out on HabsHQ.com SOON

ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 03:57 PM
Jerky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORENW View Post
I'm going to have a piece up on some of the rumors people have been linking between Montreal and Columbus check it out on HabsHQ.com SOON
5 1st round picks for Rick Nash???? (our 1st's never amount to anything anyways.....might as well get rid of them)

Let's do it!!!

Jerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 04:05 PM
GordonGraham

Can you really get a #2-3 D on the market for Ak?

the guy will be a UFA and gone after the season no matter what, it would make perfect sense to trade him instead of losing a player for nothing

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 04:08 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky View Post
It would take the moon to get Weber.....we have a much better chance of asking for Suter, who's a UFA at season's end

Kostitsyn, Beaulieu and a conditional 1st in 2013 for Suter and a conditional 2nd in 2013

(the condition being he signs with us long term/ Kostitsyn signs with them long term)
Your generosity astonishes me. I feel compelled to end your career as a GM before it even starts.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Erika

If we need good defencemans that badly, why not bring our best prospect up Ryan McDonagh... oh wait....

Scott ''the legit 8 millions dollar man'' Gomez says Hi...

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 04:19 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Nah, too much money for what he brings imo. If we get a D that's over 5 mil a season, it's got to be somebody who can play with Markov on the pp, Bouwmeester has no slapshot.
You would veto a trade in which Gomez goes the other way? Of the four players suggested by the poster you're replying to, Gomez is the most expensive as well as the oldest. Besides, PG could easily turn around and trade Bouwmeester. He has a higher trade value than Gomez or Kostitsyn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Calgary might be interested to know that Gomez is also really good at attracting blue-chip Free Agents.
That's hitting your opponent, LL, below the belt. He deserves it, though, for opposing a trade of Gomez for real assets. All we can do is sit by helplessly while we watch Gomez turn into a squishy cucumber despite the refrigeration at Centre Bell.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 10-26-2011 at 04:27 PM. Reason: merge
Old
10-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
all true, that's why i mentioned "major roster movement up front" as a caveat...

but even in that case, do you see PG/JM wanting to invest 4M$+ in a player like Kost, who has found himself in/out of the dog house every year, and who gets ~15min a game?

i don't see it.
I really don't know. For one thing I don't think Martin has really put Kostitsyn in the dog house since the first season. I've read the line demotions more as putting Kostitsyn against softer opponents to pump up secondary scoring when they don't need him on a matchup line. Since they've had better depth this year Martin has run with this strategy with Kostitsyn being the player with the most consistently offensive (instead of matchup or defensive) mission after Desharnais. The current line strategy doesn't really work without a Kostitsyn or Kostitsyn equivalent forward in the lineup in order have the excellent winger depth Montreal boasts.

They seem to dearly want to be able to field a strong offensive third line to exploit the line matchup opportunities having Plekanec as the top center affords and Kostitsyn is a big part of making that possible. Regardless of personal conflict which may or may not exist I think management will want him back.

Whether or not they are willing to pony up the cash is another matter.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 04:30 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK46Awesome View Post
Wait for what? For hindsight to kick in? All the detractors all have one thing in common they compare him to his draft year and what could have been. While he has not had 1 regression since being drafted , essentially adding different dimensions to his game while being kept on the team while everybody else except for Plekanec/Markov all have been traded away from the same team that made it to 1st in the East. Notice a pattern there , maybe just maybe , people get tired of other posters claiming he is useless when he has been the only thing close to consistency we've had in the last 5 years. 20-25 goals per season consistently , same for top in hits , while being one of the only skill players on this team that keeps getting toggled through the 1st and 4th line consistently never due to direct actions on the ice (to wake up Gomez last season , to help Kovalev produce best season in years for Kovy was being centre by Pleks and Kostitsyn playing the back of the net and finding perimeter Kovalev for goals.)
How about you back up your arguments with some facts rather then sounding like some clone version of Benoit Brunet/Mario Tremblay.

Fun Fact : Kostitsyn was tied for 1st in GW goals last year , how is that possible I thought he didn't care about this team and was lazy...

WIth 191 pts in 334 games/19 pts in 41 playoff games only in Montreal can we claim this guy is a bust.
He's a bust only to those who accept JM's report card on him as gospel.

Old
10-26-2011, 04:38 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

OccupyMontreal -> I want my AK46 back next year! ...

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote