HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

The AAA 2011 Draft

Old
10-25-2011, 02:18 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 500
Montreal select Kyle Mclaren D

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 03:54 PM
Velociraptor

Todd Gill, D

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Dawson City selects veteran Bob Errey.

-played on the top line with Steve Yzerman in junior, leading his team in goals, and would join Stevie Y again years later in Detroit.

-won two Stanley Cups in Pittsburgh, part of his nine-years with the Pens before moving on to five other teams in a nearly 900-game career.

-collected more hardware in 1997 with a World Championship win for Team Canada.

-second captain in San Jose Sharks history.

10-25-2011, 11:45 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

If your team qualifies for the playoffs, indicate so by showing how you have the players to meet the era requirements (via extra post on the roster thread).

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 12:29 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Todd Gill, D

check out his fight against 6'4" Joel Otto!

Gill has a ton of heart.

oh, and I think Derek Roy was top-3 in terms of offense among available centers. And who says he can't kill penalties? 29% for teams 10% better at it than average. Not too shabby at all, at this level. On some teams he'd be 1st-unit caliber.

Horcoff killed 35% for teams 5% worse than average. I'm not good at weighing the usage versus the result. My gut says these two are probably about equal as far as PK resumes go.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:33 AM
seventieslord

Well, we have a spare who excelled at both RW and D, so it makes sense now that we get one who excelled at both C and LW.

Jim Conacher, LW/C

From a pure "finishes" standpoint, Jim Conacher may be the most accomplished player left to select. He was 2nd in the NHL in goals in 1949, and 19th in 1948. In assists, he had seasons in which he ranked 10th, 10th, and 16th. He was 6th and 19th in total points in his two best seasons. What's more, he's the only remaining player with four 30+ point seasons prior to expansion. And two of those times he did it in a 60-game schedule as opposed to the 70-game schedule that existed from 1950-onwards.

Best percentage seasons: 74, 67, 56, 48, 41.

It doesn't appear as though Conacher was anything special physically or defensively, but he's a worthy scoring line player at this level for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loh.net
Jim Conacher and his family moved from Scotland to Canada when he was six. Growing up in and around the Toronto area, he played in the local outdoor league until being picked by the OHA's Oshawa Generals in 1940. Nicknamed "Pencil" because of his lightweight, he began his professional career in 1941 with the Omaha Knights of the AHA, a farm team of the NHL's Detroit Red Wings. In 47 games, he scored 44 points and the club went on to win the playoff championship. His professional career was put on hold for three years during World War II. When he returned in 1945-46, Conacher played 20 games for the Detroit Red Wings, scoring a goal and six points. The rest of the season he played in the AHL with the Indianapolis Capitals where he had 47 points in just 32 games.

In 1946-47, Conacher played 33 games with the Red Wings, notching 16 goals and 29 points in 33 games. The following year he had 40 points while suiting up for 60 games. The Red Wings advanced to the Stanley Cup finals, where they lost in four-straight games to the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Conacher began the 1948-49 season in Detroit, but after just four games was traded to the Chicago Blackhawks, which came as a welcome move for Conacher, who always had expressed a desire to play in the Windy City. Although not a member of the famed Conacher family that included Lionel, Ray, and Hawks' manager, Charlie, Jim Conacher once scored four goals in a game for Chicago, which prompted Charlie Conacher to joke that "maybe we ought to adopt him into the family." That week he was named the NHL player of the week, earning two free hats for his honour. In his first year with Chicago, Conacher scored a career-high 25 goals and 48 points in 55 games.

In 1949-50, Conacher dressed for 66 games, scoring 13 goals and 33 points. He played another full season in Chicago before being sent to the New York Rangers in 1951-52 where he played out his NHL career, retiring after dressing for 17 games in the 1952-53 season.

Old
10-26-2011, 01:45 AM
seventieslord

just realized that when I took Mark Hardy, I left Todd Gill as the all-time leader in points among available defensemen!

Old
10-26-2011, 09:46 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Todd Gill, D

Love Todd Gill.

When he played within his limits he was steady enough (especially after he matured and stopped the giveaways) and the guy never stopped working or standing up for his teammates.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:48 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
check out his fight against 6'4" Joel Otto!

Gill has a ton of heart.
He stood up to prime Lindros too. Lindros was a whole head taller but Todd got a few licks in..

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:24 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
He stood up to prime Lindros too. Lindros was a whole head taller but Todd got a few licks in..
Gill went up against alot of better fighters like Kris King, Vukota and May. I remember him getting bloodied up by Malkoc but still kept himself up and fought.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:34 AM
overpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
oh, and I think Derek Roy was top-3 in terms of offense among available centers. And who says he can't kill penalties? 29% for teams 10% better at it than average. Not too shabby at all, at this level. On some teams he'd be 1st-unit caliber.

Horcoff killed 35% for teams 5% worse than average. I'm not good at weighing the usage versus the result. My gut says these two are probably about equal as far as PK resumes go.
Horcoff's team PK numbers have a lot to do with Edmonton's awful defence and goaltending in the last few years.

A couple of years ago, in a discussion about Team Canada. Craig MacTavish put Horcoff's name out there. IIRC he said Horcoff was the best forward at defending 5-on-3s in the league. I know Horcoff was one of MacT's guys, but that's high praise from a man who knows something about killing penalties.

I didn't realize Roy had as much of a PK role as he did. I guess he's one of those smaller guys whose lack of size hurts them in the puck battles at ES, but on the PK their quickness helps them cover the passing lanes.

overpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 12:24 PM
Rob Scuderi

RW/D Stanislav Petukhov

Seventies' previous bio of Petukhov

Last edited by Rob Scuderi: 10-26-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 12:38 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Sorry about these late picks, been very busy lately and I figured my AAA Draft spares were just a little less important than course work.

A solid two-way player and hard worker that can can play throughout my lineup, RW Gary Sabourin

A solid defenseman that can hit, block shots, and move the puck pretty well, D Stephane Robidas

And a guy making his ATD board debut, a bit of an off the board pick who is pretty underrated in my books, D Tobias Enstrom

ES: 6 1 4 3 2*
PP: 1 1 1 1 1*
SH: 2 1 6 5 1*
OV: 1 1 2 1 1*

*=11-12 so far

.696 career adjusted PPG
12th in points among defensemen in career(top 17 already selected)

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 12:53 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
HC Davos selects C/Rover Jack Brannen

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 12:55 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post

And a guy making his ATD board debut, a bit of an off the board pick who is pretty underrated in my books, D Tobias Enstrom

ES: 6 1 4 3 2*
PP: 1 1 1 1 1*
SH: 2 1 6 5 1*
OV: 1 1 2 1 1*

*=11-12 so far

.696 career adjusted PPG
12th in points among defensemen in career(top 17 already selected)
I was considering him as a legit top pairing option for the AA draft, so maybe not as much of a stretch. I like him defensively over Buf but he just doesn't have the same versatility or playoff resume. That said he's probably the most underrated dman in the league right now, although moving from Atlanta to Winnipeg will up his exposure for sure.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:34 PM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

Defenseman Zbynek Michalek

One of the premier defensive defensemen in the NHL today, Michalek has been a premier shot blocker throughout his NHL career.

For more on Michalek click the following link:

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=21194

10-26-2011, 02:27 PM
Velociraptor

Nice pick with Enstrom, Billy. I was going to pick him sooner or later.

My pick for today is Brent Burns

A solid two-way defenseman who will round out my defensive spares.

Old
10-26-2011, 02:29 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

help me find someone from the 66-79 era , I thought for sure Ihad a player from this era but it look like I got ****ed.

a back up goalie or forward preferably

thx

Old
10-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Velociraptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
help me find someone from the 66-79 era , I thought for sure Ihad a player from this era but it look like I got ****ed.

a back up goalie or forward preferably

thx
Like all of my players are from that era, they are not hard to find at all. Check the A-Draft thread.

Old
10-26-2011, 03:03 PM
seventieslord

Regina rounds out the defense with Gord Murphy, D. I imagine he'd have been the most sought after righty in the AA. ( I do not have a righty in the top-6 LOL)

Murphy played 893 NHL games and 59 more in the playoffs. He went to the Stanley Cup finals in 1996 with Florida. GF/GA figures suggest he was his team's #1 defenseman in 1991, 1994, 1995, 2000, and #2 in 1996, 1997, and 1998.

Murphy averaged an excellent 22.70 minutes per game in his fairly long career and was used extensively in all situations: 43% of his team's powerplays and 42% of their penalty kills. Not a bruiser, he relied on smarts and positioning, not unlike his namesake, Larry Murphy, who I always thought he was a very poor man's version of.

Murphy is an effective #7 defenseman because he was above average both offensively and defensively. Our defense corps is built with puck movers next to stay-at-homers, and Murphy has the skill set to complement either well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Scouting Report 1989-90
a good skater in an efficient way... won't explode up ice, but has a solid, balanced stride... reads the ice fairly well... smart enough to play a positional style, and won't gamble with the puck... has shown the ability to make the correct decisions... can find the open man... rangy, good size. tall and has good reach... not a hitter... not overwhelmingly strong, but unafraid of the opposition and will go into the corners with anyone... most impressive thing as a rookie was his poise... a smart, heady player who plays a consistently steady game... his worth ethic indicates he'll do the things necessary to improve as an NHLer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Scouting Report 1991-92
murphy is a symbol of the Flyers' new blueline: he is a player with foot and hand skills and a less-abrasive personality, a player solid at both ends of the ice.... impressively mobile and agile... has the speed to join the rush and the strength to skate through checks, the balance to hold his own in the crease... has a nice touch with the puck and a strong snap shot from the point... uses his stick, reach, and instincts well. It may look as though an opponent has beaten him wide, but Murphy will angle the player to bad ice or dive effectively to poke away the puck... not especially enthusiastic about making the most of his size... he gets in people's way, and is just strong enough to get by...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Scouting Report 1994-95
made the most of his chances and emerged as Florida's top offensive defenseman... uses his finesse skills to defend... effective pokechecker... responsible defensively and is used to kill penalties... logged a lot of ice time and held up well under the grind... has improved positional play and can step up and provide some offensive spark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Scouting Report 1996-97
emergence of Robert Svehla took much of the offensive responsibility away from Murphy... concentrated on being a better defensive player... plays a smart positional game and makes intelligent defensive reads... best with a physical, stay-at-home partner, bt he can also be paired with a mobile defenseman and stay back for the defensive work himself.

Old
10-26-2011, 03:16 PM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

Quote:
Nice pick with Enstrom, Billy. I was going to pick him sooner or later.

My pick for today is Brent Burns

A solid two-way defenseman who will round out my defensive spares.
Good pick, was hoping to get him in the AA draft.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 04:38 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Good pick, was hoping to get him in the AA draft.
Was on my longlist too. Burns was Best Defenseman at the 2008 World Championships and played the most minutes for Team Canada at the 2010 World Championships. Over the 7 years in Minnesota he has developed into his 6'5 frame well, from the awkward error-prone youngster he began as. I have changed my mind about the guy over the years.

Old
10-26-2011, 05:05 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

if someone played 2 games in 65-66 can he qualify for the 66-79 era?

Old
10-26-2011, 05:11 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
if someone played 2 games in 65-66 can he qualify for the 66-79 era?
NOT if it was in 1965. Is this someone who ended his career early in the 1965-66 season?

Old
10-26-2011, 05:14 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
NOT if it was in 1965. Is this someone who ended his career early in the 1965-66 season?
no , started his career , I figure there's better chance those games were played in 66 since more matches are played after january 1st.