HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

showing sports online for free!

Old
10-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Rick Nash homework

vCash: 500
showing sports online for free!

It's the way of the future. Look at the youth that hardly cares about watching TV or they watch their favorite show on Hulu or Netflix streaming. NHL already does this with Hulu and I think if more sports show live games for free, the way I don't need cable in my home.

Rick Nash homework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:31 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Teams make a ton of their revenue selling the rights to games to TV channels, many teams even owning part of their local sports network. So while the technology is there, you aren't going to see as much of it as you like for a long time.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:52 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

I'd much rather watch my team on the TV than the internet. And this is coming from a person who watches almost all my teams games online. Live sports will never suffer the internet bug. People want to watch them on TVs with their friends, either at home or in establishments.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:24 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
i envision a future where:

1) all games shown on ota broadcasting channels (CBC, NBC) would be available freely over the internet.

-reasoning: if you're going to watch the game online anyways, these networks would rather they can count you as a viewer and therefore earn ad revenue from you. An online viewer may actually be more valuable than a tv viewer, as there are more advertising streams online.

2) some games on cable are shown free online
- we already see this with the yahoo game of the week (USA) and tsn's Wednesday night hockey. At the end of the day, a viewer online is more valuable than no viewer at all, though showing all games online is impossible because it would cripple their subscription rates.

3) Remaining games are available online for a price to 'cableless' viewers. Essentially, envision GCL with no blackouts.

10-21-2011, 08:47 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post

1) all games shown on ota broadcasting channels (CBC, NBC) would be available freely over the internet.

-reasoning: if you're going to watch the game online anyways, these networks would rather they can count you as a viewer and therefore earn ad revenue from you. An online viewer may actually be more valuable than a tv viewer, as there are more advertising streams online.

- we already see this with the yahoo game of the week (USA) and tsn's Wednesday night hockey. At the end of the day, a viewer online is more valuable than no viewer at all, though showing all games online is impossible because it would cripple their subscription rates.

3) Remaining games are available online for a price to 'cableless' viewers. Essentially, envision GCL with no blackouts.
While yes there are more advertising streams would that over comes the revenus thats lost be it subscriber fees etc i don't think so.What i think could happen is networks could offer sports online but for a fee and then maybe more and more would drop cable and dish and go on line.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:48 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Nash homework View Post
It's the way of the future. Look at the youth that hardly cares about watching TV or they watch their favorite show on Hulu or Netflix streaming. NHL already does this with Hulu and I think if more sports show live games for free, the way I don't need cable in my home.
Yes but netflix is not free and hulu if you have the premium level its not free so no i doubt all sports events would be free.

Old
10-21-2011, 09:32 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Why do so many people on the Internet think that intellectual property should be given away free?

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:13 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
Why do so many people on the Internet think that intellectual property should be given away free?
I just can't see any network willing to offer every sports event free the amount of money they would be lossing would be massive.

Old
10-21-2011, 08:38 PM
badinsults
TWO WEEKS

Quote:
Because that was the original intent of the Internet, that there were no restrictions on content and that everything was free.

badinsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 05:47 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by badinsults View Post
Because that was the original intent of the Internet, that there were no restrictions on content and that everything was free.
I don't think the intent was for every single show/movie and sports event to be free should it be cheaper sure but free no.

Old
10-26-2011, 03:20 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
I don't think the intent was for every single show/movie and sports event to be free should it be cheaper sure but free no.
Why should it cheaper?

Old
10-26-2011, 03:23 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I've been on the Internet for over 25 years and know people who've been on it either longer and I don't remember anything about it superceding copyright laws.

Old
10-26-2011, 07:20 AM
saskganesh

traffic throttling and bandwidth issues makes "free" unachievable. the infrastructure just isn't there for a consistent viewing experience and the providers make more money out of apparent scarcity.

" you've exceeded your bandwidth this month". what? already?

saskganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 07:35 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Why should it cheaper?
The only way i could see it is because when shows are online they come right from the channel per say and not a cable company.

Old
10-26-2011, 09:30 AM
fatloui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
I'd much rather watch my team on the TV than the internet. And this is coming from a person who watches almost all my teams games online. Live sports will never suffer the internet bug. People want to watch them on TVs with their friends, either at home or in establishments.
I watch hockey games on my TV with friends.... over the internet

fatloui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:42 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post

This is where TV networks need to decide whether they want to be like the music and publishing industries (resist technology and die slowly) or like the retail sales industry (embrace technology and evolve into something different).

The majority of people would MUCH rather watch a game on television than on a computer. The barriers to that experience are cost and portability, and in the case of OTA networks there is no significant cost barrier. Why not remove the portability barrier as well and enlarge your audience? Especially if the signal is just going to be pirated and streamed anyway... might as well provide a legitimate outlet and make a buck.

Quote:
I really don't think it would hurt subscription rates all that much. People who have the stability and resources to watch games on cable will generally do so. Those who go to online streams are generally doing so because they don't have a cable-friendly lifestyle -- they're students, travelers, or otherwise not really in the market for cable sales. There might be some erosion at the fringes of their subscription base, but I don't see many people downgrading or dropping cable because they can get hockey games online.

IMO, the bigger question is where the technology will land in the next decade. Some cable services (such as U-verse) are already essentially just a data stream formatted for television. I don't think we're very far away from the day when you pay one bill for access to streaming content, and it's up to you what device you use to display it. At that point the cable/online dynamic will disappear.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:51 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
This is where TV networks need to decide whether they want to be like the music and publishing industries (resist technology and die slowly) or like the retail sales industry (embrace technology and evolve into something different).

The majority of people would MUCH rather watch a game on television than on a computer. The barriers to that experience are cost and portability, and in the case of OTA networks there is no significant cost barrier. Why not remove the portability barrier as well and enlarge your audience? Especially if the signal is just going to be pirated and streamed anyway... might as well provide a legitimate outlet and make a buck.

I really don't think it would hurt subscription rates all that much. People who have the stability and resources to watch games on cable will generally do so. Those who go to online streams are generally doing so because they don't have a cable-friendly lifestyle -- they're students, travelers, or otherwise not really in the market for cable sales. There might be some erosion at the fringes of their subscription base, but I don't see many people downgrading or dropping cable because they can get hockey games online.

IMO, the bigger question is where the technology will land in the next decade. Some cable services (such as U-verse) are already essentially just a data stream formatted for television. I don't think we're very far away from the day when you pay one bill for access to streaming content, and it's up to you what device you use to display it. At that point the cable/online dynamic will disappear.
I don't think a all access streaming package is going to happen any time soon the reason is different companys etc own rights to different programing.With that said what i can see is networks offering a online paid services where you get all shows etc for one flat fee i could see some dropping cable and going online route if that day comes.

Old
10-26-2011, 10:51 AM
dronald

Whenever i watch games online i still have to sit through the advertisments, so at least the advertisers still get to show their product. I dont think it bothers them.

dronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:52 AM
MayDay

Quote:
Because people these days have an overwhelming sense of entitlement, and think that they should be given their entertainment for free, regardless of how much it costs to create or produce.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:55 AM
MayDay

Quote:
No, that is not even remotely why the Internet was developed.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 12:51 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
I don't think a all access streaming package is going to happen any time soon the reason is different companys etc own rights to different programing.With that said what i can see is networks offering a online paid services where you get all shows etc for one flat fee i could see some dropping cable and going online route if that day comes.
That's what I meant... basically the same thing as streaming digital cable, just platform-flexible. Which is already very close to reality from some providers.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:06 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

is someone really admonishing people for stealing from ESPN, Comcast, sports league owners and players? That's like the RIAA telling people that file sharing IS KILLING MUSICIANS MAN, only for academic studies to show time and time again that less than 20% of the decline in album sales is related to file sharing. Ditto the cries that illegal downloading is killing theaters, when it patently isn't.

This is even more egregious as the people in the business of showing live sports on cable aren't even doing as "badly" as those other industries. How can you tell someone off for thinking "man, screw the cable company"?

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:11 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
is someone really admonishing people for stealing from ESPN, Comcast, sports league owners and players? That's like the RIAA telling people that file sharing IS KILLING MUSICIANS MAN, only for academic studies to show time and time again that less than 20% of the decline in album sales is related to file sharing. Ditto the cries that illegal downloading is killing theaters, when it patently isn't.

This is even more egregious as the people in the business of showing live sports on cable aren't even doing as "badly" as those other industries. How can you tell someone off for thinking "man, screw the cable company"?
My issue is this i pay $300 a month for cable and when people say they don't pay a dime and they think it should all be fre ya i have a issue with that.

Old
10-26-2011, 01:20 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post

In my mind, some things are just objectively wrong. "Stealing" IP is one of them.

Old
10-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Quote:
Is this sarcasm? Because if not, you need to do some reading on the history of the Internet and what it was actually developed for.

And the biggest issue as to why games aren't streamed for free is that they're trying to monetize the technology through things like GCL (or MLB.tv in other leagues). Why give it away when there's a viable way to make money off of their product?

I would rather buy Game Center and watch the games on television, but my cable company doesn't provide me that option. So given I would have spent the money on that, it makes sense for me to pay essentially the same amount of money for another method of viewing.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote