HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zibanejad back to Sweden

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Tuna99

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
But Eklund is saying that a Turris trade is "very close".

... which means Turris is months from being dealt. So no dice there, we'll have to look elsewhere, I guess.
I was thinking the exact same thing, if EK says it the total opposite happens

Old
10-26-2011, 02:00 PM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
They seemed to think Zibanejad could be an NHL player right away. Evidently they were wrong. Surely if they knew this would be the case at the draft, it would have impacted their decision somehow. If they also knew Couturier would stick in the NHL, I'm sure it would have played a part as well.

It's very relevant.
Where did you come up with that? They said in the summer they didn't think he was ready but he could be close by training camp? They were purely hoping.

It's not relevant, playing at 18 has never been a determining factor in deciding who you should have picked.

Jordan Staal played at 18, Nick Backstrom went back to Sweden.

Old
10-26-2011, 02:03 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

I'm definitely bummed that we won't be seeing Zibby in the line up this season. I still think he would have progressed nicely over the span of the season and really learn the game, but at the end of the day we're all just fans and Murray likely made the right decision here. This is very similar to the Jets situation with Scheifle. You have buzz about a young kid, the fans get excited, they're trying to make an impression in a short period and they either have it or they don't. We saw flashes of it with Zibby but the consistency is definitely lacking.

He should be able to have a strong season in Djurgarden and work on his game and I fully expect him to rip up the WJC. I think the most important think for him will be to fill out and put on some muscle. He needs to be able to handle the full grind and tear and of an NHL season and there were way too many times he struggled getting through the defence or checking along the boards.

We'll miss ya Mika, can't wait to see you next season ready to make an impact!

Old
10-26-2011, 02:03 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

vCash: 920
Guy looks on the verge of breaking down in the senstv video, keep your head up kid.

Old
10-26-2011, 02:05 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

And these comparisons to Couturier need to stop now. He's made it in Philly because he has benefited by being on a deep team who can slowly bring him along with Schenn and Read too. Couturier has also put up some explosive numbers in Junior and had a decent WJC last year, I think he is slightly further along than Zibanejad. Plus, it's not as if Couturier is going to be lighting it up this season, he'll be decent but I expect to see his share of healthy scratches and 4th line demotions.

Old
10-26-2011, 02:12 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
Guy looks on the verge of breaking down in the senstv video, keep your head up kid.
Well of course, can you blame him? The kid just got 9 games in the best league in the world, he seems to be a pretty confident guy and I am sure he was expecting himself to make this team and start putting up some points. Unfortunately, it's a process and he's going to become a better player for it in the long-term.

It happened to Spezza, a couple times actually and he was better off long term.

Never easy to get this news, but I doubt it's a total shock to him either. It looks like he'll really miss being part of the team though, he was starting to gel with the guys.

Old
10-26-2011, 02:12 PM
HappyDude
Classless

YEEEEEESSSSS!!!!!!! Murray you are the BombDiggity!!!!!! I am so glad he is going back. Dude really needs to work on his offense. Then next year he will kill it!

Old
10-26-2011, 02:15 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
And yet Couturier stays in NHL...

I'm very happy with Zibanejad and realize that Couturier dropped for a reason (or that the people making picks thought there was a good reason) but the comparison isn't looking too good at the moment.

Still this is for the best: Zibanejad should be able play tons of big minutes and he definitely looks like a very driven kid. This should really motivate him for next season.
There was never any question that Couturier has the skills to pile up points in the regular season.

What management had an issue with was his ability to raise his game in intense situations like playoff games.

I'm guessing that management picked the guy they thought could be a Ryan Kesler, instead of a Joe Thornton or or Alexei Yashin. Maybe less points in the regular season, but a bigger difference maker in the playoffs.

Old
10-26-2011, 02:20 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
The team made the right decision IMO. Zib will now get to refine his offensive skills in the SEL. While the SEL doesn't have the same quality of competition as the NHL, Zib will still be playing against men and in one of the best leagues in the world.
That's the whole point. You don't throw 100 mph fastballs at a teenager while trying to teach him to hit. Zibanejad wasn't creating anything offensively; he wasn't going to break out anytime soon. He was sitting back defensively and treading water in games. He was playing fairly solidly defensively and working hard, but we don't want him to turn into a guy like Olesz... a guy who seemingly focuses so much on the little things & playing responsibly, that his offensive game never developed.

Old
10-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Dionysus

He needs to work on his offensive game, playing in Sweden and getting some tie at the WJC's will help with that. I don't think he was having any problem with the physicality and speed of the NHL. With another offseason and year of development he will have a monster rookie season next year.

Old
10-26-2011, 02:21 PM
CR15

Seemed like a no brainer to me, to be honest there wasn't a single game were I thought damn he should stay. Keep your head up and work hard kid see ya next year.

Old
10-26-2011, 02:23 PM
SouthSwe

I hope he won't get to play in the leading line for Djurgården.

Ottawa can't make demands like that. It's not up to them if he is good enough for a leading line or what line he should play in.

Quite disgusting and I hope Djurgården haven't agreed such a contract.

Old
10-26-2011, 02:23 PM
Lepi

Quote:
SunGarrioch Bruce Garrioch
Mika Zibanejad is a classy kid. Unlike the goalie that left town without saying a word, he faced the media. #Sens
Did anyone see this tweet? Is Bruce referring to Lehner?

Old
10-26-2011, 02:24 PM
Gil Gunderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepi View Post
Did anyone see this tweet? Is Bruce referring to Lehner?
Elliott.

Old
10-26-2011, 02:27 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
Oh no! This can't be! How can I show my face around HFboards knowing that Zibanejad is heading back to Sweden while Couturier is going to stick in the NHL!? I am so internet embarrassed.
It's that time of the month eh? I just pointed out that the guy the Senators passed up on is staying put in the NHL, no need to get your panties all worked up there champ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Very irrelevant to their long-term projections.
By next year Couturier should have 82 games of NHL experience versus Zibanejad's 9 games: it matters. It won't determine who will be better in the long run I agree, but to say it doesn't matter is being clueless.

Old
10-26-2011, 02:28 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSwe View Post

Ottawa can't make demands like that. It's not up to them if he is good enough for a leading line or what line he should play in.

Uhhhh where did you hear anything of this sort.

As far as I can tell Djurgardens voluntarily told Ottawa he'd start as the #1 center.

Old
10-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Bryan might have been tempted to think short term since he likely wont have to deal with Zbad post ELC but Tim might think differently. So he probably voted to send him back. It's not like Zbad was dominating or even standing out most shifts and the Sens still have so many other assets that have to be evaluated before next year. There are just too many bodies for the available spaces this year.

In the end for the organization it's an easy decision. The kid has had a great introduction to the North American game and should now have a very good idea of what it takes to be an NHL player. Next year he'll come back bigger, stronger and more determined to win the 2nd line centre job.

Old
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post

By next year Couturier should have 82 games of NHL experience versus Zibanejad's 9 games: it matters. It won't determine who will be better in the long run I agree, but to say it doesn't matter is being clueless.
It's never really been proven to matter dude.

Some kids are more raw than others....

Old
Flamingo

Quote:

I'm sure Murray called to ask what their plans would be if Zibby were released to them. If the decision were so hard to make, then the development opportunities for Zibby in Djurgarden would certainly be a determining factor. Why do you think it was a demand?

Old
10-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Asquaredx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0C View Post
That's another issue I have.

With DaCosta's recent play, I would have preferred to have Zibanejad as our 2nd line center instead of him. Not sure who they'll put in that position, but one thing's for sure is that DaCosta needs to step it up!
What matters here is his over-all development, not the marginal upgrade he might provide over Da Costa this year (and I'm not even sure he does).

Old
10-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Altimus
Probably drunk

Send a message via AIM to Altimus Send a message via MSN to Altimus
Very happy he went back. I was hoping Dacosta and butler would get more ice time (when healthy) so we can get a better look at them.

Old
10-26-2011, 02:33 PM
TSA0402

Good move by Murray. Honestly didn't think he was going to do the right move.

Old
10-26-2011, 02:37 PM
Two Line Pass

Quote:

If they said "no, we'll play Zibby where we want" BM can just say "lol I guess we'll keep him in Ottawa".

Old
10-26-2011, 02:37 PM
TSA0402

Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if Djurgarden offered this because they wanted Zib on their hockey team.

Old
10-26-2011, 02:39 PM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

Quote:

Angry Swede is angry.

Closed Thread