HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montador - O'Donnell

Old
10-26-2011, 01:29 PM
brtriad

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Montador - O'Donnell

These two have been absolutely phenomenal to begin the season. They understand their job is to clear the front of the net, separate pucks from players along the boards, and clear the puck out of the zone. They play a simple game, and they do it effectively.

Can O'Donnell keep his play up throughout an 82 game season and Stanley Cup Playoff run?

Nick Boynton looked great when he played out 10 regular season games and 4 playoff games. Anything more and he was gassed and useless. O'Donnell showed the same tendencies towards the end of the past season in Philly. How much of that can be attributed to a dysfunctional team being injured and slumping cannot be accurately quantified; however, one can still see the benefit in giving O'Donnell some nights off to keep his reserve energy tank full for the cup run.

When do you think we'll start seeing Lepisto get some games while O'Donnell gets a rest?

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
These two have been absolutely phenomenal to begin the season. They understand their job is to clear the front of the net, separate pucks from players along the boards, and clear the puck out of the zone. They play a simple game, and they do it effectively.

Can O'Donnell keep his play up throughout an 82 game season and Stanley Cup Playoff run?

Nick Boynton looked great when he played out 10 regular season games and 4 playoff games. Anything more and he was gassed and useless. O'Donnell showed the same tendencies towards the end of the past season in Philly. How much of that can be attributed to a dysfunctional team being injured and slumping cannot be accurately quantified; however, one can still see the benefit in giving O'Donnell some nights off to keep his reserve energy tank full for the cup run.

When do you think we'll start seeing Lepisto get some games while O'Donnell gets a rest?
I'd call them serviceable over phenominal. They are exactly what the Hawks didn't have last season. The Hawks play 3 games in 4 nights this week so I bet you'll see Lepisto get a game or two.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:37 PM
ObeyMashinter

Quote:

Never fear you will see Johnathan Scott before too long.

ObeyMashinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:43 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
I know these two are paired together, but I want to lump Mayers in with them as well, as far as really benefitting this team. Personally, I think if we shot around 65 regular season games for O'Donnell, that'd be good, with him getting a nice week or so off before the playoffs (assuming we have a top seed locked up, which I fully expect with this squad).

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 02:16 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Could definitely do with a couple games off. Lepisto is certainly a solid #7 defenseman that would have been a #5 on teams that were cup contenders.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Blue Liner

Can't ask for anything more from your third D-pairing. O'Donnell's been rock solid, and Montador's been the same and you can see his confidence has actually grown on the offensive side of things. He's had the puck more and been jumping up in the play a bit more. Truthfully, I don't expect or demand the kind of offensive year he had last year given the top four the Hawks, but I certainly welcome him pitching in a few points here and there. They've been everything you could want in a third pairing.

Personally, I feel better about O'Donnell than I ever did about Boynton, even in that last stretch of the regular season when he was picked up. I just never fully trusted him out there for some reason, whereas O'Donnell I'm completely comfortable with.

I definitely agree that spelling Lepisto for him here and there would be good...maybe this weekend when you have back to back games. Not to say O'Donnell can't handle it now, but I'd like to have him a bit more fresh come playoff time so he can play every game there. That's a guy I want in my lineup every single playoff game, not to mention it'd be nice to see what Lepisto can do in some regular season action.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 02:52 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
I've said it before, SOD was the best signing this team made. Montador has been pretty good as well, however, there is still another level to his game offensively and you saw that in yesterdays game. The defense as a whole looks great and if someone does happen to go down, you won't find a much better/experienced 7th d-man than Lepisto.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

nothing else to say. Good 3rd Pairing and with Lepisto a good #7

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 04:39 PM
zac

Quote:

I find the timing of this rather odd (though I'd definitely agree overall in general) with SOD being absolutely horrid out there last night. Getting beat and missing the pokecheck on the Getzlaf goal, numerous times out of position, and several ill-advised pinches (I counted 3) that were fortunate to not result in 2-1 or 3-1 breakaways. Maybe his worst game as a Blackhawk.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote