HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

TFP and Ottawa Sun: Kostitsyn available to be traded

Old
10-26-2011, 04:41 PM
Talks to Goalposts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
You would veto a trade in which Gomez goes the other way? Of the four players suggested by the poster you're replying to, Gomez is the most expensive as well as the oldest. Besides, PG could easily turn around and trade Bouwmeester. He has a higher trade value than Gomez or Kostitsyn.

That's hitting your opponent, LL, below the belt. He deserves it, though, for opposing a trade of Gomez for real assets. All we can do is sit by helplessly while we watch Gomez turn into a squishy cucumber despite the refrigeration at Centre Bell.
What would make sense basing a trade around Gomez for Stajan and then dumping Stajan to the minors. The things Gomez is good at Calgary desperately needs (i.e. playmaking center that plays a good territorial game against decent tough opposition) and Stajan is just dead capspace for them with a contract that doesn't expire until Gomez's does. Take on Hagman's deadweight as well and I could see a deal to be made.

Talks to Goalposts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 04:46 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

While I don't want to get rid of Kostitsyn (he's been a nice surprise this year), I don't see him really fitting into our future. He's in a contract year, and has had many ups and downs in his career. It would be smart to deal him this year instead of risking losing him for nothing, however I'm not sure the last week of October is a good time to become a seller. I'd rather wait until December and then assess the situation.

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 04:55 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
While I don't want to get rid of Kostitsyn (he's been a nice surprise this year), I don't see him really fitting into our future. He's in a contract year, and has had many ups and downs in his career. It would be smart to deal him this year instead of risking losing him for nothing, however I'm not sure the last week of October is a good time to become a seller. I'd rather wait until December and then assess the situation.
Ups and downs? He's been one of our more consistent players.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 05:02 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
I really don't know. For one thing I don't think Martin has really put Kostitsyn in the dog house since the first season. I've read the line demotions more as putting Kostitsyn against softer opponents to pump up secondary scoring when they don't need him on a matchup line. Since they've had better depth this year Martin has run with this strategy with Kostitsyn being the player with the most consistently offensive (instead of matchup or defensive) mission after Desharnais. The current line strategy doesn't really work without a Kostitsyn or Kostitsyn equivalent forward in the lineup in order have the excellent winger depth Montreal boasts.

They seem to dearly want to be able to field a strong offensive third line to exploit the line matchup opportunities having Plekanec as the top center affords and Kostitsyn is a big part of making that possible. Regardless of personal conflict which may or may not exist I think management will want him back.

Whether or not they are willing to pony up the cash is another matter.
well, if that was the case (shuffling him down to give him easier match-ups), it failed as a coaching strategy in the most grandiose of ways...

Kost was always more productive when on the top line, and worse, he didn't take to positively to the "opportunistic demotions", or the lack-of-communication that accompanied them (as witnessed from his comments both in-season and off-season).

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 05:07 PM
Jerky

Quote:
Your generosity astonishes me. I feel compelled to end your career as a GM before it even starts.
Obviously you have NO IDEA who Suter is, and what it would take to get him........stick to your NHL12 trades please, the adults are talking here.

Jerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky View Post
Obviously you have NO IDEA who Suter is, and what it would take to get him........stick to your NHL12 trades please, the adults are talking here.
er, IIRC, Teuf is one of the elder statesmen of the board.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:34 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
False. He has a winning record with the Habs.
More losses than wins... to me that is sub-500.

84 wins and 87 losses in the regular season since he became head coach.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
er, IIRC, Teuf is one of the elder statesmen of the board.
Yup....elder statesmen and one of the better posters. Someone with <100 posts made a Rookie Mistake!

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:33 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky View Post
I thank my defenders but I'm capable of defending myself. I wonder why that cranky toddler is reacting this way. Perhaps his nanny neglected to change his wet diaper. An application of Desitin might palliate his fiery rash. The insertion of a nipple between his upper and lower baby teeth and the flow of the warm Nestlé formula milk should pacify him. I confess I don't know what NHL12 is but I assume the enfant terrible who impugns my knowledge devotes many of his waking hours to it. His board name is an apt one.

By the way, I happen to have tracked the 2003 draft very carefully and I certainly know who Suter is. Although in retrospect some Habs fans wish the team had selected Getzlaf, Carter, or Parise with the #10 pick instead of Kostitsyn I was disappointed when Calgary picked Dion Phaneuf at #9 and was relieved that the Habs didn't take Hugh Jessiman, who had moved up in the ratings.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
well, if that was the case (shuffling him down to give him easier match-ups), it failed as a coaching strategy in the most grandiose of ways...

Kost was always more productive when on the top line, and worse, he didn't take to positively to the "opportunistic demotions", or the lack-of-communication that accompanied them (as witnessed from his comments both in-season and off-season).
Worked great when they had a guy to play with him in that role last year, he rocked with Eller before injuries meant the needed to recall him to the top line and actually had some very strong games with Moen-Halpern-Kostitsyn earlier in the year. Its the year before were those attempts was always failing. The only line he stunk on was Gomez's.

Communication issues were obviously a problem though.

Talks to Goalposts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:57 PM
Teufelsdreck

Kostitsyn is scoring goals at his norml pace and the one against the Flyers happened to be the winner. It baffles me why the yahoos on this board want to trade him and why they're willing to throw in additional assets to clinch the deal.

Since the PGT is already closed and I'm posting so late I'll say for the first time this season that I was enthusiastic about the way Cole played. I hope he keeps it up against the Bruins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitants19 View Post
Please get rid of this bum. Been sayin it for years, he scores 20 goals and gets 45 points last year.......and we do what? We pay him like he makes the kind of money a 70 point player should make. It is ridiculous.....he is a less talented less consistent version of AK 27. I won't go one saying we should have drafted a number of different players back in 2004 but the fact we still have this guy on our team and we pay him more and more money each time his contract is up is a effin joke.

We won't get anything for him unless we add a prospect, and knowing Pierre Gauthier....he is scared for his job right now.....so expect to see a Tinordi or a Kristo traded away with him for a quick fix.

I won't even go on about the Gauthier, Martin, Pearn tandem, save that one for a different thread.
It's bad enough your evaluation of Kostitsyn is wacko but you even got the year he was drafted wrong. Try 2003 next time.

Last edited by Mike8: 10-27-2011 at 02:09 AM.
Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:17 AM
tinyzombies

andrei 'railroad tracks' kostitsyn. he has the agility of a dead elephant.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:28 AM
CuteHockeyBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
andrei 'railroad tracks' kostitsyn. he has the agility of a dead elephant.
He skates with purpose.

If you want agility, go become friends with Palushaj, his agility and speed served him a lot didn't?

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:37 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny View Post
He skates with purpose.

If you want agility, go become friends with Palushaj, his agility and speed served him a lot didn't?
Rarely does he skate with purpose. Very rarely.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:48 AM
Boardish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Rarely does he skate with purpose. Very rarely.
Are you really a Habs fan? Seriously?

Kostitsyn has been one of our best forward so far. Last year too.

I'm starting to think he slept with your mother or killed your dog.

Boardish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:22 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardish View Post

Did both.

Sergei done worse.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:40 AM
Marchy79

Quote:
I thank my defenders but I'm capable of defending myself. I wonder why that cranky toddler is reacting this way. Perhaps his nanny neglected to change his wet diaper. An application of Desitin might palliate his fiery rash. The insertion of a nipple between his upper and lower baby teeth and the flow of the warm Nestlé formula milk should pacify him. I confess I don't know what NHL12 is but I assume the enfant terrible who impugns my knowledge devotes many of his waking hours to it. His board name is an apt one.

By the way, I happen to have tracked the 2003 draft very carefully and I certainly know who Suter is. Although in retrospect some Habs fans wish the team had selected Getzlaf, Carter, or Parise with the #10 pick instead of Kostitsyn I was disappointed when Calgary picked Dion Phaneuf at #9 and was relieved that the Habs didn't take Hugh Jessiman, who had moved up in the ratings.
I can still say the habs drafted who I wanted in the first round

Andrei was a bonafide darkhorse draft pick. I thought he was going to be more lights out with the scoring (the shots he has in his selection are incredibly good...) But he is turning out to be one heck of a hockey player, IMHO he is definately a player I have wanted to keep around since day one.

He's got a warrior's game. He is one of our most physical forwards, and what I think is going to be a strength going forward is having THREE heavy wingers crashing around with top 6 quality talent.
(Cole, Patches, & Kostitsyn). People looking for nimbleness, it's not so much part of their job, to make their blades look like are artistic, They are weapons of war, to get these guys ahead, one way or another.
Cole has that extra gear that every coach desires from their player. Totally saw it in the Florida game, and he was driving the Philly defence nuts with it tonight. He's not going to finesse his way around defencemen... He's going to physically beat them with rather his speed, or his body.
Kostitsyn is behind Cole in the physicalness, but the stats dont lie, (for those who dont want to believe it) Kostitsyn is third on the team in hits, and is currently one of our best forecheckers we have. He may not win scoring championships... But he has the talent to produce, and has a tonne of skill all the while producing a fantastic 2 way game.
Pacioretty is a find the hole guy, he buzzes around, and does more hovering than the 2 of them... However he does have hints of some finesse to his game, He's a talented kid, who IMO as it's going forward is showing the NHL that when you're on the ice with him... You might just have to spend more time keeping an eye as to what he's doing. He's excellent at finding and more importantly, TAKING that open ice. I've never honestly had him pegged as a goalscorer coming up... Not until glimpses of it when he was tremendously motivated after getting sent down to Hamilton. He's rocketing in terms of development however...

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 07:14 AM
TheRedKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
I can still say the habs drafted who I wanted in the first round

Andrei was a bonafide darkhorse draft pick. I thought he was going to be more lights out with the scoring (the shots he has in his selection are incredibly good...) But he is turning out to be one heck of a hockey player, IMHO he is definately a player I have wanted to keep around since day one.

He's got a warrior's game. He is one of our most physical forwards, and what I think is going to be a strength going forward is having THREE heavy wingers crashing around with top 6 quality talent.
(Cole, Patches, & Kostitsyn). People looking for nimbleness, it's not so much part of their job, to make their blades look like are artistic, They are weapons of war, to get these guys ahead, one way or another.
Cole has that extra gear that every coach desires from their player. Totally saw it in the Florida game, and he was driving the Philly defence nuts with it tonight. He's not going to finesse his way around defencemen... He's going to physically beat them with rather his speed, or his body.
Kostitsyn is behind Cole in the physicalness, but the stats dont lie, (for those who dont want to believe it) Kostitsyn is third on the team in hits, and is currently one of our best forecheckers we have. He may not win scoring championships... But he has the talent to produce, and has a tonne of skill all the while producing a fantastic 2 way game.
Pacioretty is a find the hole guy, he buzzes around, and does more hovering than the 2 of them... However he does have hints of some finesse to his game, He's a talented kid, who IMO as it's going forward is showing the NHL that when you're on the ice with him... You might just have to spend more time keeping an eye as to what he's doing. He's excellent at finding and more importantly, TAKING that open ice. I've never honestly had him pegged as a goalscorer coming up... Not until glimpses of it when he was tremendously motivated after getting sent down to Hamilton. He's rocketing in terms of development however...
Totally agree ! I never understood the hate on Kostitsyn he's become a well rounded player, he's hard to hit also, I've seen many players bounce off of him trying to check him.

TheRedKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:22 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardish View Post

A classic:

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:34 AM
gillyguzzler

And the wheel goes round and round... different linemates every period, no PP, 14 minutes of ice time. Even though he scored, I don't think AK had his best game. Eller had a very difficult game and that may explain his lack lustre performance also.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:49 AM
Et le But

One thing that definitely changed about Kostitsyn last year was his 2 way game improved. He was still inconsistent in getting goals (though better than his stats indicate if you take away how bad he was with Gomez compared to everyone else), but he's been tracking back frequently and has more physical games than not.

He's never going to be a shutdown forward, his hockey sense is just too poor, and he's already made some dumb mistakes this year, but you take the good with the bad and I think the poor turnovers are more than made up for what he brings to this team.

He's not untouchable by any means but making him expendable for a stopgap signing would be a huge mistake.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:57 AM
Mousepad*

And we let hammer and Wiz go... Brilliant.

Mousepad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
More losses than wins... to me that is sub-500.

84 wins and 87 losses in the regular season since he became head coach.
I wasn't counting losses in OT.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:09 AM
PK76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
One thing that definitely changed about Kostitsyn last year was his 2 way game improved.
I have to give some credit to JM for making AK a better defensive player. As much as I would like to see him become the 30-goal scorer we want him to be, I feel like it may not happen in the system we use but that he's better now than he's ever been. People that still complain that he doesn't bring enough to this team are people that still want him to be a 40 goal scorer but they don't really see him as a better player than when he had his best season in goals/points. The goal he scored yesterday is the kind of goal that I want to see more from him, where he crashes the net and doesn't need to use his lethal shot.

PK76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:14 AM
icerocket

How are people saying AK is a consistent player? So far this season, maybe so. During his career? Hell no.

That being said, trading him would be a disaster.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote