HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brett Connolly

Old
10-25-2011, 11:40 PM
IdealisticSniper

vCash: 500
I think him going back to Juniors wouldnt have helped. Im 100% sure if he was AHL eligible he would have been sent there no problem. But since hes not I think him staying in the NHL is the best choice. I will also say his play has improved exponentially in both ends of the ice in his last 3-4 games. Hopefully he gets his first goal soon.

Congrats to Brett!

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 11:45 PM
CupsOverCash

Congrats Connolly!! He deserves it!

CupsOverCash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 12:09 AM
Hockeyfan02

He's improved since the start of the year and has really impressed me with his work along the boards. He set up the first goal tonight by forcing a turnover with a hit. He doesn't look out of place on the top line and he's going to start finding himself on the scoresheet sooner rather than later. Good job by the kid to earn the spot.

Hockeyfan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 12:29 AM
LightningStrikes
VL4ever

vCash: 806
Nice! Now, let's see you score some goals, kid!

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 12:56 AM
Htial

I'm always happy to see Cougars move onto the NHL. Although his 50+ goals are definitely going to be missed the season.

Even though I am a Canucks fan I am going to be paying close attention to Tampa Bay and hoping for some success for them and Connolly.

Htial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:55 AM
The Macho Man
Fire Cooper

vCash: 134
Congrats Brett! Keep playing like a beast, the points will come.

The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:03 AM
Felonious Python
Still Drej

I didn't seem him fall at all last night.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:52 AM
HockeyTownUSA

Steve Y just protecting his own butt by making sure he does everything in his power (which there is a great of) to make him and his 1st round pick look good. I don't think any other GM would keep a #6 overall pick who gave you 2 weak, secondary goals in a 9 game period. Performance = Productivity has always been the rule for most other players in this league.

HockeyTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:59 AM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyTownUSA View Post
Steve Y just protecting his own butt by making sure he does everything in his power (which there is a great of) to make him and his 1st round pick look good. I don't think any other GM would keep a #6 overall pick who gave you 2 weak, secondary goals in a 9 game period. Performance = Productivity has always been the rule for most other players in this league.
Except...Yzerman has no need to play CYA in regards to Connolly. None.

There are other ways to judge performance besides productivity. And the kid has performed. The points will come .

ThunderAlleyNomad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:04 AM
HockeyTownUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
Except...Yzerman has no need to play CYA in regards to Connolly. None.

There are other ways to judge performance besides productivity. And the kid has performed. The points will come .
Just stating my opinion.

HockeyTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:15 AM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:
Just stating my opinion.
That's fine. So am I. I just really don't believe that Yzerman would make a decision that could possibly be detrimental to the team simply to cover his backside.

I would have been good with it either way, I could see the reasons for sending him back down, but I certainly understand why he's being kept up. Performance=productivity may be true most of the time, but there are ways to produce besides filling the net. And Connolly is doing them.

ThunderAlleyNomad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:17 AM
The Macho Man
Fire Cooper

vCash: 134
He's made two great defensive forechecking plays that have directly led to goals, one of which he didn't get a point for. He's been strong in his own end and an absolute beast on the forecheck, and is meshing well with Vinny/Marty.

By the way, do we stick with Vinny/Marty or give Marty back to Stammer? Is Purcell Marty mk. II?

The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:48 AM
zeykshade

If he were AHL eligible, he'd be in the AHL. Since he isn't, his development and the team's success are best served by keeping him here.

He's been asked to play puck retriever for MSL and VL4, I've seen nothing that indicates that he's weak at that. The kid is pretty damn good on the wall from all I've seen.

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:43 AM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
I don't think this is him trying to make his draft pick or himself look good. Yzerman has always been a guy that puts winning before anything else...look at his career with the Wings. He wouldn't jeopardize this team's chance at making the playoffs or make a run just to say "hey my pick was an NHL regular a year after the draft". Hell, he comes from the organization that is the most patient with prospects and doesn't rush them. He'd make himself look worse if he rushed Connolly when he wasn't ready and it ruined the kid. He may not be lighting up the scoresheet, but he's doing a lot of the little things right. He helped create the first goal last night by getting in on the forecheck and throwing a hit that caused a turnover, but doesn't get an assist because he didn't touch the puck. Stats shouldn't be the only thing at if he's going to stay up or not. That just completely ignores everything else about the game. If this was someone like Burke I could buy the ego coming into play argument, but I just don't see it with Yzerman.

Hockeyfan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:40 AM
DangleDoppler

I definitely agree with all of the AHL people saying if he was eligible for the AHL would be there.

I also agree with the people who said they could see Connolly either going or staying, and have good reasons for both.

The problem with sending him back to Prince George IMO is he is going to be a big fish in a little pond. They aren't a good team, and they're doing nothing to prove that they can help him elevate his game. Why stick him back there if he's just going to dominate? He's already dominated before he was doing his NHL style training, and now that he's a little bigger he would just dominate even more. That's not going to help him get any better.

At least here, he has a chance to win with an established group, and he has Stammer to look at for someone who has been in the NHL their entire first season. He also has Marty, Vinny, and all of the other Veterans who can keep his spirits up. He's definitely good enough to play at this level, but can he contribute? Only time will tell, and if they need to scratch him for stretches at a time Well we have people who can fill in that top 6 role (Shannon, Downie, etc.)

From a player stand point I definitely agree with him staying, but from a team stand point I wonder what will become of Shannon. Because Connolly isn't staying to play some bottom 6 role. So I does this mean Shannon/Downie are relegated to bottom 6 for the rest of the year?Or does Shannon/Downie play bottom 6 when Connolly's in the lineup and whenever he's scratched they get bumped up?

It will be interesting to see how this all unfolds...

Congrats to Connolly!

DangleDoppler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Rschmitz
Yzermaned

Quote:
Do you have any information other than what we have to suggest our gm would sacrifice wins in order to make himself look good? More than likely he did what most successful nhl gm's do. No, not look at a stat line. But actually watch the games and listen to the advice of his peers, like the coach. Boucher is constantly saying how he is concerned about the process, and not the results. And Connolly stays because of his play and not his production, imagine that.

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:19 PM
TheDaysOf 04
[ 2 6 ]

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...htning/1198603
http://www2.tbo.com/sports/lightning...-in-ar-294028/
I'm happy to read this. I'm glad Connolly has a good work ethic and is trying to learn a lot and get better. It also makes me happy he's being taken under the wing to learn this stuff from the best. Marty and Vinny will help him big time.
Quote:
"Both guys(Vinny and Marty) have Stanley Cups and a lot of experience, so, for me, it's nice to have a couple of guys like that I can talk to," Connolly said before Tuesday's game. "I'm just trying to take as much knowledge as I can."

"We talk a lot," St. Louis said. "You want to make sure you don't give him too much; maybe every day work on a different thing. There are a lot of details to pay attention to, and he's done a great job with retaining a lot of information. At the same time it's not a one-way dialogue."

What is discussed?

"Bigger picture," Connolly said, "from playing in the defensive zone to being professional to being ready to work out, being ready to practice, being ready to play every game."

Coach Guy Boucher noticed.

"That's also what we're looking at, how he's reacting, not just on the ice but off ice," he said. "He's been real good with the assistant coaches, too, going to them to ask questions."

Last edited by TheDaysOf 04: 10-26-2011 at 01:26 PM.
TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Ten88Nineteen

He and Vinny have looked great along the boards, and that's one area the top lines have really struggled with. If they can keep getting nearly the amount of forechecking chances Thompson, Hall, Moore, etc create, it's going to be a great year.

While I like Boucher's swapping of lines every now and then, St Louis/Lecavalier together is beautiful - and not just for nostalgia reasons.

Ten88Nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 04:37 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
This makes perfect sense. If it were the 2010-2011 season.

But its not. Its a year later. Yzerman, if he wanted to "make himself and his pick look good" would have allowed Connolly to stay last year right out of the draft and forced it on him.

You are COMPLETELY off base and its not even an opinion its a fact.

I wanted to send him back from games 1-4. Around game 5 he seemed to start getting what he was supposed to be doing in the system. Games 7-9 he was very good IMO and even could have easily had another couple of assists or even a goal or two. You can see that he has started to grasp the system and his job at every moment on the ice and once that becomes second nature to a player his creativity comes through and we have started to see that with Connolly in the last few games. He wont win rookie of the year but he will be a contributor to this team no doubt about it.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 05:08 PM
Felonious Python
Still Drej

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
This makes perfect sense. If it were the 2010-2011 season.

But its not. Its a year later. Yzerman, if he wanted to "make himself and his pick look good" would have allowed Connolly to stay last year right out of the draft and forced it on him.

You are COMPLETELY off base and its not even an opinion its a fact.

I wanted to send him back from games 1-4. Around game 5 he seemed to start getting what he was supposed to be doing in the system. Games 7-9 he was very good IMO and even could have easily had another couple of assists or even a goal or two. You can see that he has started to grasp the system and his job at every moment on the ice and once that becomes second nature to a player his creativity comes through and we have started to see that with Connolly in the last few games. He wont win rookie of the year but he will be a contributor to this team no doubt about it.
It's too early to tell about that, even. I mean, who has really established themselves as front runners? We're still in 'should they have made it out of camp?' mode.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:33 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
If you knew what you were talking about, you'd know that Connolly wasn't even his pick - the scouts and decision makers left as he came on board were the ones who made the Connolly pick.

If Yzerman were really worried about making himself good, you'd see Namestnikov here.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:42 PM
Stammer Time*
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 107
If Yzerman cared more about making his moves look good than winning woudn't we still have Ellis?

Stammer Time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 07:12 PM
Overwatch

Quote:
Making him look good? Really? His decision to keep Connolly made him look sane and someone with a common sense. Its obvious that all you look at are his stats rather than his play on ice. The kid creates chances. Ever since he was moved to play with Vinny and Marty their production increased. Its not all about stats and personal accolade its what you can create on the ice and boy does he ever.

Overwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:23 PM
ultra63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
If you knew what you were talking about, you'd know that Connolly wasn't even his pick - the scouts and decision makers left as he came on board were the ones who made the Connolly pick.

If Yzerman were really worried about making himself good, you'd see Namestnikov here.
Absolutely correct on how this draft pick was made.

ultra63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:13 PM
zeykshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
It's too early to tell about that, even. I mean, who has really established themselves as front runners? We're still in 'should they have made it out of camp?' mode.
RNH in Edmonton has put a claim in for the Calder...

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote