HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Oilers 3 - Canucks 2 (Hodgson, Burrows)

Old
10-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Nunymare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
????

Hodgson's shot hit an Oiler defender's stick (Randy Jones) and fluttered into the top corner fooling Khabibulin with a change up.
http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videoce...DM898&fr=false
Randy Jones isn't an Oiler. Probably Ryan Jones.

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:49 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunymare View Post
Randy Jones isn't an Oiler. Probably Ryan Jones.
It was Jones #28.

I am not too familiar with Oiler scrubs.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:51 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
If Bieksa is really playing that badly right now, why won't the coaches ever scratch him then? That might wake him up. But instead he plays 25 minutes? What about the accountability AV always talks about? Ballard gets his minutes reduced for some bad plays but not Bieksa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Pretty sure MG is aware of this issue. The problem is finding a replacement that's better than AV. Need to remember this is a significant risk too. Unfortunately, it'll take nothing short of missing the playoffs or choking in the first/2nd round for AV to get fired. If MG fires AV now and the replacement coach is unable to get the team past the 2nd round/WCF, he will get a lot of ****.

I should also mention that outside of the Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, we don't have a single player capable of creating offense. Some of our secondary offense were hurt throughout last season as well. I do remember that we were a pretty offensively potent team 2 seasons ago though. I don't think we had any trouble scoring, the issue was mainly defense. If we had the 2011 blueline combined with our 2010 forwards, we probably would've won a championship.
I've had that exact same thought as well. Ironically that was with Wellwood centering the 3rd line, who many people here lambasted for being unfit and out of shape etc. I would argue that we were actually deeper offensively with Welly compared to Malhotra, who is still very good in his own right but he just doesn't bring the same offensive game to the table.

Sure people point out that Manny puts up 30 points a year while being better defensively as well as on faceoffs, but I just don't see him putting up 0.5+ pts/game in the playoffs like Welly always did. Scoring from your 3rd line in the playoffs is huge.

Last edited by vanuck: 10-26-2011 at 07:20 PM.
vanuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 07:27 PM
Wetcoaster

TSN just had a quiz on what name to give the Oilers kid line - personally I like The Three Nooges but two of four went with Kids in the Hall.

Marc Crawford went with the Baby Oil Line.

Old
10-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
TSN just had a quiz on what name to give the Oilers kid line - personally I like The Three Nooges but two of four went with Kids in the Hall.

Marc Crawford went with the Baby Oil Line.
They must be extremely oblivious when it comes to sexual innuendo.

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickassguy View Post
They must be extremely oblivious when it comes to sexual innuendo.
Ward and Crawford seem the very definition of oblivious.

Old
10-26-2011, 07:54 PM
Lundface

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
How many players win Stanley Cups when receiving 1.14 GF of offensive support in a series?

I'll give you a hint...fewer than the 10 players in the entire league capable of putting up 100 points.
Not sure what your post has to do with mine but okay.

Read one of my more recent posts, I know Vancouver as a team failed. Luongo didn't help himself in some games, but the entire team collapsed in a big way. I personally attribute it to injuries.

Lundface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:33 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
If Bieksa is really playing that badly right now, why won't the coaches ever scratch him then? That might wake him up. But instead he plays 25 minutes? What about the accountability AV always talks about? Ballard gets his minutes reduced for some bad plays but not Bieksa?
The whole 'accountability' gag is a sham. This isn't a particularly new revelation. It's really much more of a 'tenure system' that AV uses, with a bit of ~instinct~ or something equally perplexing thrown in to keep everyone on their toes.

Quote:
I've had that exact same thought as well. Ironically that was with Wellwood centering the 3rd line, who many people here lambasted for being unfit and out of shape etc. I would argue that we were actually deeper offensively with Welly compared to Malhotra, who is still very good in his own right but he just doesn't bring the same offensive game to the table.

Sure people point out that Manny puts up 30 points a year while being better defensively as well as on faceoffs, but I just don't see him putting up 0.5+ pts/game in the playoffs like Welly always did. Scoring from your 3rd line in the playoffs is huge.
I agree. I think there's a very real chance that this is true.

Interestingly, this year, our offense looks like it's right back up there again...we have Hodgson who looks capable of filling a similar role to Wellwood, if his development is handled properly...but now our defence has taken a CLEAR step backward in losing Ehrhoff.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:05 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
The whole 'accountability' gag is a sham. This isn't a particularly new revelation. It's really much more of a 'tenure system' that AV uses, with a bit of ~instinct~ or something equally perplexing thrown in to keep everyone on their toes.

I agree. I think there's a very real chance that this is true.

Interestingly, this year, our offense looks like it's right back up there again...we have Hodgson who looks capable of filling a similar role to Wellwood, if his development is handled properly...but now our defence has taken a CLEAR step backward in losing Ehrhoff.
Well, if I didn't know better (or maybe I don't at all!) I'd say the coach was playing favourites with his boys... until then we'll continue to see bad performances rewarded with more ice time. Though I really don't know if that's on AV or Bowness.

I think you make a good point with the whole 'tenure' thing. Those who've been here the longest will have leeway and lots of opportunity to work things through, even if it hurts the team by playing them more.

Some good points brought up in this thread, particularly about the Sedins. There are a lot of issues with this team that go unnoticed in the regular season, as they tend to be masked when we're winning and people get called Negative Nancy's when you criticize anything. But those same flaws get exposed in the playoffs and then people wonder why we always seem to struggle offensively, get blown out etc...

vanuck is online now   Reply With Quote