HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Bryzgalov ever be worth his contract?

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2011, 04:24 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
That's all fine and dandy for you and those who've been this way from the start, but this thread was created the night after the Flyers (not just Bryzgalov) played like **** for 2 straight losses. Which is a good reason to assume this thread is a knee-jerk reaction.

There's going to be some growing pains with a new goalie and Bryzgalov adjusting to a different play style. It's unavoidable.
Not to mention you can't really evaluate a 9 year contract until it is at least a few years in. Even if they miss the playoffs the next three years, the following three Bryz could win the Vezina. Judging whether a player has played up to his contract really should be held off for a little while. Players, even the best of them, have down years.

Old
10-25-2011, 04:25 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Quote:
That's all fine and dandy for you and those who've been this way from the start, but this thread was created the night after the Flyers (not just Bryzgalov) played like **** for 2 straight losses. Which is a good reason to assume this thread is a knee-jerk reaction.

There's going to be some growing pains with a new goalie and Bryzgalov adjusting to a different play style. It's unavoidable.
That's pretty much my contention and why I was annoyed as well. Basically, those who believe Bryz's contract was ill-advised which is a fair concern saw opportunity in this knee-jerk reaction and jumped all over it.

The initial premise of this thread was highly reactionary and that was what some of us are decrying (We are all guilty of this though when emotions enter the picture). Unfortunately, it got turned on it's head and the premise all of the sudden defaulted into the argument that Bryz's contract was not prudent. We can argue this point but it was a little disingenious to deflect the initial premise into one where you start from a speculative/hypothetical conclusion and then build your case around it..particularly a case that is highly specious b/c we're only 8 damn games into the season and the dude's contract!

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 10-25-2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: 8 not 7 games
Old
10-25-2011, 04:34 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Now we have the goaltending to get a Cup, but we don't really have the forwards or overall team defense. 3 rookies is disturbing. I don't think we're any better off this year. Hopefully we are next year, because I have serious concerns about our defensive corps after that.
How is the defense any different (worse?) from when rich and cart were here? Giroux is better (and I thought this b4 last year). He should lead this team in ice time because he's a bleeping monster, should have led it last year...Richards wasnt that good of a d forward the last two years....we got better by allowing better talent to get more ice time.

Old
10-25-2011, 04:39 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

I'll still be arguing it's not worth it even if he wins a Vezina in the next few years. Now, if he wins one in 7, 8, or 9 years it's a different story.

10-25-2011, 04:41 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
I'll still be arguing it's not worth it even if he wins a Vezina in the next few years. Now, if he wins one in 7, 8, or 9 years it's a different story.
Totally fine with that. You've been that way from the start, so I don't have a problem with you arguing his worth here. But you see my point nonetheless so I'll shutup.

Old
10-25-2011, 04:42 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
How is the defense any different (worse?) from when rich and cart were here? Giroux is better (and I thought this b4 last year). He should lead this team in ice time because he's a bleeping monster, should have led it last year...Richards wasnt that good of a d forward the last two years....we got better by allowing better talent to get more ice time.
Are we watching the same Giroux/team? They've spent a lot of time stuck in their own end, and while I have a huge mancrush on Giroux I think he's been noticeably worse on defense this year without Carter to shoulder the load. Obviously he can get better, but right now he isn't there. The 4th line has been pretty good on defense, the other 3 haven't impressed.

Old
10-25-2011, 04:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Totally fine with that. You've been that way from the start, so I don't have a problem with you arguing his worth here. But you see my point nonetheless so I'll shutup.
Indeed. And it's a valid point. One shouldn't be changing their mind on his contract based on one or two games.

Old
10-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Exactly. He wants it on record that he's been consistently wrong on the issue since Day One and we should respect that.

Old
10-25-2011, 04:55 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Are we watching the same Giroux/team? They've spent a lot of time stuck in their own end, and while I have a huge mancrush on Giroux I think he's been noticeably worse on defense this year without Carter to shoulder the load. Obviously he can get better, but right now he isn't there. The 4th line has been pretty good on defense, the other 3 haven't impressed.
Ahh fair enough. I missed the "team" defense part. It's not there, but I'm also not that worried 8 (or whatever) games in.
I think this team has the forwards to win the cup. I think it's definitely better than last year.

Old
10-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Exactly. He wants it on record that he's been consistently wrong on the issue since Day One and we should respect that.
I bet you think the Luongo contract is a good idea too.

Old
10-26-2011, 08:57 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

so much for a "real goalie". He's worse than Boucher

Old
10-26-2011, 09:04 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
Well having a 80% save percentage is pretty bad. But lets give him a fair shake....way too early to conclusively say he is Leighton redux. Long season and its best this leighton impression we are seeing is happening now...

Old
10-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Totally Radivojevic

Well, he certainly cannot handle the puck whatsoever.

Old
10-26-2011, 09:16 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Come on, guy. The season just started.

Old
10-26-2011, 09:17 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Did Phoenix call no trade-backs?

Old
10-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Come on, guy. The season just started.
How much longer can we keep saying that? This is his 7th game, he should have his **** together.

Old
10-26-2011, 09:25 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Its not the goalies fault the team doesn't know how to play defense in front of him

Old
10-26-2011, 09:50 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks View Post
How much longer can we keep saying that? This is his 7th game, he should have his **** together.
Haha, well certainly more than seven games. He's 3-2-1 (soon to be 3-3-1). One of his wins was a shutout and another a 2-1 win. He also had a 5-4 win where he faced 40 shots. It's funny that those games mean nothing and the three horrible losses of 3-2, 5-2, and 4-2 (and tonight's game) means he sucks. The defense has nothing to do with it either, of course.

Old
10-26-2011, 10:19 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Our defense BLOWS! Bryzgalov RULES! The End.

Old
10-26-2011, 10:46 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPrinceOfBriere View Post
Well, he certainly cannot handle the puck whatsoever.
Ah, so you've tasted that bitter wine. Maddening, isn't it? And realize that no matter how much he gets yelled at, he will still do it at the most inopportune times. And then not at all when it would be wise to do so.

Don't miss him.

Old
10-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Well having a 80% save percentage is pretty bad. But lets give him a fair shake....way too early to conclusively say he is Leighton redux. Long season and its best this leighton impression we are seeing is happening now...
At least Leighton was protected by this defense as if he were their grandmother...not wearing goalie pads.

Bryz has been absolutely hung out to dry by the nonexistent defense.

Old
10-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks View Post
Fleury was unbelievably terrible to start last season until he got his act together and played really well. I don't think it's panic time yet.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:03 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Come on now. I haven't seen all 5 goals yet, but the first 3 were not on Bryz. Off Mezzes leg for #1. Goal #2 bounces all over and nobody is clearing out Canadiens. # 3, either a GREAT deflection by Gionta RIGHT to Paccioretty or off Mez to him..

And meanwhile...Simmonds can't hit water from a boat in the ocean.

Old
10-27-2011, 01:04 AM
nhlfan9191

When will GM's learn you can't sign a goalie long term. It's so foolish. Even if their an elite goalie. So much can happen to a goalie. Look at Turco. 4 years ago he was considered an elite and an all star. Now he can't even get a backup job. My point being alot can happen to a goalie after several years. But nine years? He's already in his thirty's! Holmgren, the fans did want and deserve a good goalie but they didn't ask you to go over the top like this... Common buddy...

Old
10-27-2011, 01:31 AM
StandingCow

What can you do?

Closed Thread