HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2011 Goalie Controversy thread

Old
10-26-2011, 03:44 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Bryz's problem the last few games is a technical one that can be rectified...his lateral movement has to be quicker as he is on record as saying. Hence his timing is off and it could be that he is not reading off the defensemen as well. Again he's adjusting to the team. Bob's lateral movement is obviously innate..with him he's adjusted his overall control (not as spazzy or crouched) although his rebound control is still not on par with that of Bryz when on his game..such as what we saw in the shutout.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
The only controversy is that there is NO controversy. That's the problem. Both of our goalies are awesome. Bryzgalov is a top 10, potentially higher goalie in this league who's adjusting to a new defense group. One thing i see our defense doing lately that i dont like is instead of clearing players their trying to play the puck (shot block) more than usual which is a problem for any goalie. Both need to see the puck. Bryz just has a bigger body and handles high shots through traffic better although bob looks great in that dept. this year. Problem is not only communication its the way the defense is playing. Not as well as they should for one of the better crew of defensemen in the league. It's october and there's alot of sifting through B.S before any real evaluations are made. But 2 great goalies is never a controversy.
To expound on this, I believe at some point early last season Thomas had to talk to his teammates about trying to block too many shots and getting in his way. After that goaltender and defense worked together magnificently.

Or maybe I'm full of ****, it was over a year ago and involving a team I don't care much about...but I'm pretty sure it happened.

10-26-2011, 04:00 PM
thelos
Bunk

Yeah I also remember Thomas critiquing his dmen for screens/deflections.

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:23 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Bryz's problem the last few games is a technical one that can be rectified...his lateral movement has to be quicker as he is on record as saying. Hence his timing is off and it could be that he is not reading off the defensemen as well. Again he's adjusting to the team. Bob's lateral movement is obviously innate..with him he's adjusted his overall control (not as spazzy or crouched) although his rebound control is still not on par with that of Bryz when on his game..such as what we saw in the shutout.
I agree with this mostly. Bob is still pretty spazzy, but I think that ended up being helpful in the Tor game. A spaz goalie is going to look great at times becaus his natural ability is going to make up for the bad D.
Bryz isn't good at lateral movement, nor is he that athletic. He's oustanding when the team in front of him plays well. He won't give up softies. bryz's strength is technique.
This is also why MAF is so good in PIT. GREAT athletic goalie and a really good D.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:31 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
To expound on this, I believe at some point early last season Thomas had to talk to his teammates about trying to block too many shots and getting in his way. After that goaltender and defense worked together magnificently.

Or maybe I'm full of ****, it was over a year ago and involving a team I don't care much about...but I'm pretty sure it happened.

This was a big problem again tonight.

The first Pacioretty goal was Kessel 2.0, and later Walker knocked down a wrister that was floating towards Bryzgalov's glove, only to have it bounce off his pads right to a couple of uncovered Habs waiting for the rebound at the doorstep.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Xegiie

they really need to talk about how to actually defend, because they seem to have no clue about what to do..
they need to block (enemy)players who can deflect .. and not try deflect itself, which makes it actually even worse

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:06 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
This was a big problem again tonight.

The first Pacioretty goal was Kessel 2.0, and later Walker knocked down a wrister that was floating towards Bryzgalov's glove, only to have it bounce off his pads right to a couple of uncovered Habs waiting for the rebound at the doorstep.
"Speak of the devil" was my first thought.

Ok, it was my third thought after "**** **** PISS ****" and "AGAIN!?"

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:13 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Agree with this. I was at the game and it was obvious your defense was having problems clearing space in front of Bryz. Yes, obviously Pronger's presence was missed in front of your nets, but the communication breakdowns went deeper than one missing player. Carle had a bad game.

Best advice: chill. Bryzgalov is a quality goalie who should take you further, provided your D is solid.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:54 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Agree with this. I was at the game and it was obvious your defense was having problems clearing space in front of Bryz. Yes, obviously Pronger's presence was missed in front of your nets, but the communication breakdowns went deeper than one missing player. Carle had a bad game.

Best advice: chill. Bryzgalov is a quality goalie who should take you further, provided your D is solid.
Don't you know that we actually do have the best defense in the game?!

At least that's what some people keep telling for years now... time to wakeup and realize our team defense sucks

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 05:45 AM
JoeFlyer

Almost half the team is new and we're 9 games into the season. We've seen what the team can do but it's still work in progress, did anyone really think we'd be unstopable from the word go?

The point is that there are plenty of things that need to be improved upon, which is good, because we already have 11 points on the board. Better that than thinking we were playing above expectations and had managed to get 11 points... The season is 82 games, we don't need to find the 'winning formula' now only to burn out, isn't that how last season went?

It's frustrating to watch but you can't judge anything permanent on a new team in 9 games.

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Don't you know that we actually do have the best defense in the game?!

At least that's what some people keep telling for years now... time to wakeup and realize our team defense sucks
You guys don't play a defensive shell style of game. Makes the Flyers a ton of fun to watch, but the downside is games like last night, when you allow a puck-possession team to possess the puck. Well... downside for you, upside for me, but you get the point.

I wouldn't worry. When your forechecking is clicking your team is a collective beast of talent. And if people are still ripping JVR, I'm sure the Habs will gladly grab him.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 07:29 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
Homer is not attempting to ship Bobrovsky out of town... unless another team is willing to take a couple of our 2nd round picks along with him.
Every time this is alluded to I laugh heartily. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Holmgren is hell-bent on getting rid of second rounders.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrgodr View Post
Could you really have someone with that contract as the back up? This is a serious question. What is he getting paid, like $6 million for 5 years? If you are already THINKING about benching your $30 million dollar goalie 7 games in when you have a team that was just revamped is just silly. Everyone needs some time, the players do and the goalie. Bob could be the better goalie right now, but maybe in 15-30 games bryz will have played most of the teams a couple of times and will know most of the players he is up against.
Haha! I scoff at your ignorance! Surely, you don't expect the Flyers to give a decent contract like that. You sell Holmgren short! Try 9 years!

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
Haha! I scoff at your ignorance! Surely, you don't expect the Flyers to give a decent contract like that. You sell Holmgren short! Try 9 years!
Hahahaha, look at him trying to use logical numbers for a goalie contract. He doesn't know what GM he's dealing with.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:52 PM
duffy9748

Leighton?

Kidding

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:10 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

This is Leighton's job to lose. Might as well try it out...................

Philadelphia Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:57 PM
number72

1. Pronger is out - he is 25 minute dman that can control the game.
2. Look at Phoenix this year - Smith looks quite respectable in net while he was a bust in Tampa. I wonder if Bryz needs a more defensive system to make him look better.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote