HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Begin

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-01-2005, 03:04 PM
  #1
zbubble
Registered User
 
zbubble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,238
vCash: 500
Steve Begin

Steve Begin is the nhlpa.com's player of the day, and while that in itself is nothing out of the ordinary, the player profile picture they use of him has him in a Sabres jersey...

Which is funny considering he never played a game for us. You'd think they could get one from Montreal, or at least go back to Calgary photo.

Wish we never lost him though.

zbubble is offline  
Old
11-01-2005, 03:48 PM
  #2
Crazy Tasty
Registered User
 
Crazy Tasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 4,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble
Steve Begin is the nhlpa.com's player of the day, and while that in itself is nothing out of the ordinary, the player profile picture they use of him has him in a Sabres jersey...

Which is funny considering he never played a game for us. You'd think they could get one from Montreal, or at least go back to Calgary photo.

Wish we never lost him though.
I agree with you zbub.
I mentioned previously that the whole Begin on waivers incident still irked me.
Someone informed me he is a dime a dozen player.

I think he leads all dime a dozen players with 4g 3a & a +5.
He'd be tied for second on our team...

Crazy Tasty is offline  
Old
11-01-2005, 03:59 PM
  #3
Guy Caballero
Registered User
 
Guy Caballero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Tasty
I agree with you zbub.
I mentioned previously that the whole Begin on waivers incident still irked me.
Someone informed me he is a dime a dozen player.

I think he leads all dime a dozen players with 4g 3a & a +5.
He'd be tied for second on our team...
Spilt milk. You guys are doing great without him. (Although I'm very happy to have him on the Habs.)

Guy Caballero is offline  
Old
11-03-2005, 02:02 AM
  #4
Habsp*
 
Habsp*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Singapore
Country: Singapore
Posts: 91
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
Spilt milk. You guys are doing great without him. (Although I'm very happy to have him on the Habs.)

You said it. He is worth his weight in gold. He hits, he digs for the puck like there is no tomorrow. He makes the big momentum changing hit, he scores, he is on the PK, and lately even the PP. And is tough as nails. I remember in the playoffs in 03/04. He went face-first into the corner edge of the boards after being hit from behind; he mangled his mouth; lost teeth, stitches. He went to the dressing room, got stitched up and was back out there after missing a couple shifts. Gotta love his grit. The question is, why did Buffalo put him on waivers?? Does anyone know? Not that it really matters for habfans, we accept him gleefully.

Habsp* is offline  
Old
11-03-2005, 02:55 AM
  #5
JP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
Hell yeah! Thanks Buffalo for letting us have him so easily!

JP is offline  
Old
11-03-2005, 01:37 PM
  #6
zbubble
Registered User
 
zbubble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsp
The question is, why did Buffalo put him on waivers?? Does anyone know? Not that it really matters for habfans, we accept him gleefully.
Well it was the numbers game. You can only protect so many people, and they protected guys like Connolly and Pyatt over him.

zbubble is offline  
Old
11-03-2005, 01:39 PM
  #7
Crazy Tasty
Registered User
 
Crazy Tasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 4,298
vCash: 500
I think what irked me was that they protected Boulton over Begin, if I remember right.

Crazy Tasty is offline  
Old
11-03-2005, 01:44 PM
  #8
Fan-of-#9
Registered User
 
Fan-of-#9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Tasty
I think what irked me was that they protected Boulton over Begin, if I remember right.
Excuse me while I puke my brains out.

Fan-of-#9 is offline  
Old
11-03-2005, 02:30 PM
  #9
Ruckus007
Said too much
 
Ruckus007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Huntington, WV
Posts: 7,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Tasty
I think what irked me was that they protected Boulton over Begin, if I remember right.

I knew this was going to come up. I can't find it for sure but I'm pretty sure Boulton was exposed too and just didn't get claimed.

Ruckus007 is offline  
Old
11-03-2005, 02:36 PM
  #10
Crazy Tasty
Registered User
 
Crazy Tasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 4,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007
I knew this was going to come up. I can't find it for sure but I'm pretty sure Boulton was exposed too and just didn't get claimed.
You were right, I should have googled first.

Protected

Maxim Afinogenov, F; Daniel Briere, F; Curtis Brown, F; Brian Campbell, D; Tim
Connolly, F; Andy Delmore, D; Chris Drury, F; Jean-Pierre Dumont, F; Rory
Fitzpatrick, D; Jochen Hecht, F; Dmitri Kalinin, D; Ales Kotalik, F; Adam Mair,
F; Jay McKee, D; James Patrick, D; Taylor Pyatt, F; Miroslav Satan, F; Alexei
Zhitnik, D; Martin Biron, G; Mika Noronen, G.

Available

Jeremy Adduono, F; Steve Begin, F; Jason Botterill, F; Joel Bouchard, D; Eric
Boulton, F; Brian Chapman, D; David Cullen, D; Norm Milley, F; Rick Mrozik, D;
Domenic Pittis, F; Chris Taylor, F; Tom Askey, G.

Crazy Tasty is offline  
Old
11-03-2005, 03:03 PM
  #11
Takeo
Registered User
 
Takeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 19,225
vCash: 500
Well they still protected Elmre over Begin...

Takeo is offline  
Old
11-03-2005, 04:49 PM
  #12
zbubble
Registered User
 
zbubble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo
Well they still protected Elmre over Begin...
Yeah but he hadn't played for us yet, we just got him that offseason to be our PP specialist.

Plus teams typically try to protect a certain number of forwards and a certain number of defenseman. So its more of a matter of which forward did we protect over Begin that we shouldn't have.

zbubble is offline  
Old
11-04-2005, 04:54 AM
  #13
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Tasty
You were right, I should have googled first.

Protected

Maxim Afinogenov, F; Daniel Briere, F; Curtis Brown, F; Brian Campbell, D; Tim
Connolly, F; Andy Delmore, D; Chris Drury, F; Jean-Pierre Dumont, F; Rory
Fitzpatrick, D; Jochen Hecht, F; Dmitri Kalinin, D; Ales Kotalik, F; Adam Mair,
F; Jay McKee, D; James Patrick, D; Taylor Pyatt, F; Miroslav Satan, F; Alexei
Zhitnik, D; Martin Biron, G; Mika Noronen, G.

Available

Jeremy Adduono, F; Steve Begin, F; Jason Botterill, F; Joel Bouchard, D; Eric
Boulton, F; Brian Chapman, D; David Cullen, D; Norm Milley, F; Rick Mrozik, D;
Domenic Pittis, F; Chris Taylor, F; Tom Askey, G.
I can understand protecting andy delmore at that point in time but Adam Mair.... I guess Mair was slightly more proven at the time . The moment begin took his first shif on the ice in a habs uniform, I immediately started wondering how the heck things didn't work in calgary/buffalo?

I do remember hearing on TV that the sabres were very surprised at the time that begin actually got claimed.

Hackett is offline  
Old
11-04-2005, 08:45 AM
  #14
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 57,088
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett
I can understand protecting andy delmore at that point in time but Adam Mair.... I guess Mair was slightly more proven at the time . The moment begin took his first shif on the ice in a habs uniform, I immediately started wondering how the heck things didn't work in calgary/buffalo?

I do remember hearing on TV that the sabres were very surprised at the time that begin actually got claimed.
Mair and Begin are cut from the same cloth and seemed to have similar value at the time. Protecting an asset they had just acquired as triggerman on their powerplay was a no-brainer. The only wrinkly in the whole thing was that Calgary was interested in Patrick and that was why they protected Jeep over Begin.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline  
Old
11-04-2005, 09:34 AM
  #15
Crazy Tasty
Registered User
 
Crazy Tasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 4,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
Mair and Begin are cut from the same cloth and seemed to have similar value at the time. Protecting an asset they had just acquired as triggerman on their powerplay was a no-brainer. The only wrinkly in the whole thing was that Calgary was interested in Patrick and that was why they protected Jeep over Begin.
I would glady pay on Wednesday for a hamburger today.

err, I mean I would rather have Begin today than Soup for the last 3 years.
Isn't hindsight grand?

Crazy Tasty is offline  
Old
11-04-2005, 10:02 AM
  #16
Chfan
HFB Partner
 
Chfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,096
vCash: 500
Yeah, you guys aren't lucky that Steve didn't have the chance to play cuz if he did he would of gained a place in the lineup for sure.... This guy is AMAZING.... By far the best Habs player for the first games, He scored 2 winning goals, 1 tying goal and 1 shorthanded winning goal.

Chfan is offline  
Old
11-04-2005, 10:21 AM
  #17
ChemiseBleuHonnete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,446
vCash: 500
Begin is developping into a great player. The habs really did a great job with him. I always liked him, but he improved tremendously with us.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline  
Old
11-04-2005, 10:27 AM
  #18
Fan-of-#9
Registered User
 
Fan-of-#9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player
Begin is developping into a great player. The habs really did a great job with him. I always liked him, but he improved tremendously with us.
I bet he's enjoying his time playing for the HABS, is he originally from Montreal?

Fan-of-#9 is offline  
Old
11-04-2005, 10:38 AM
  #19
Galchenkel
Registered User
 
Galchenkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint Pierre
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 1,019
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Galchenkel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsp
You said it. He is worth his weight in gold. He hits, he digs for the puck like there is no tomorrow. He makes the big momentum changing hit, he scores, he is on the PK, and lately even the PP. And is tough as nails. I remember in the playoffs in 03/04. He went face-first into the corner edge of the boards after being hit from behind; he mangled his mouth; lost teeth, stitches. He went to the dressing room, got stitched up and was back out there after missing a couple shifts. Gotta love his grit. The question is, why did Buffalo put him on waivers?? Does anyone know? Not that it really matters for habfans, we accept him gleefully.

a lil' point...he hasn't been check from behind but he went to check another player who was along the board who bent down and Begin felt face right to the board. And before the game in an interviw he said "m'en va manger d'la bande a soir" ;("i'm gonna eat the board tonight") meaning that he was going to check a lot...

Galchenkel is offline  
Old
11-04-2005, 12:39 PM
  #20
sabresfan65
Vegas Wants Hockey!!
 
sabresfan65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Vegas
Country: United States
Posts: 1,135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble
Yeah but he hadn't played for us yet, we just got him that offseason to be our PP specialist.

Plus teams typically try to protect a certain number of forwards and a certain number of defenseman. So its more of a matter of which forward did we protect over Begin that we shouldn't have.
It was a league rule how many players could be protected at each position. They couldn't protect Begin and expose a defenseman. They could protect 11 forwards, 7 defenseman and 2 goalies. The only possibilities to protect Begin were to make one of the other forwards availible. At the time that was Max (no), Danny (no), Curtis (no), Timmah (more valuable than Begin at that time), Drury (no), JP (no), Hecht (Heck no), Ales (no), Mair (Maybe), Pyatt (more valuable than Begin at that time), Miro (no).

While there are a number of people who whould like to have gotten rid of Connelly, Pyatt, or Mair, I think the Sabres made the correct decision on who to protect. Begin was the least likely to be taken with Mair being the only possible exception. In hindsight you could probibly say that Begin may have had more long term value than Brownie but who would have said that 2 years ago. Heck in hind sight I wish they would have left Miro exposed.

sabresfan65 is offline  
Old
11-04-2005, 05:12 PM
  #21
Habs13
Registered User
 
Habs13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: England
Posts: 5,593
vCash: 500
Habs fans still can't figure out why Sabres management put Begin on waivers.. he's become a fan favorite here in Montreal - not only does he have 4 goals this year, but all 4 where key goals! Getting the tying goal vs the Panthers this week with 8 seconds to play! He hits everything that's not in the jersey he's wearing.. the guy was blocking slap shots in preseason! Who blocks shots in preseason??

Habs13 is offline  
Old
11-04-2005, 05:23 PM
  #22
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2
 
signalIInoise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Latveria
Country: Denmark
Posts: 5,727
vCash: 500
Okay, okay -- we get it. Begin = good, and you got him. Enough, already.

signalIInoise is offline  
Old
11-04-2005, 05:29 PM
  #23
djhn579
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tonawanda, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13
Habs fans still can't figure out why Sabres management put Begin on waivers.. he's become a fan favorite here in Montreal - not only does he have 4 goals this year, but all 4 where key goals! Getting the tying goal vs the Panthers this week with 8 seconds to play! He hits everything that's not in the jersey he's wearing.. the guy was blocking slap shots in preseason! Who blocks shots in preseason??
Maybe you should take a look at what he did in 4 years with Calgary before he came to Buffalo...

djhn579 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.