HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Carle Appreciation Thread

Old
10-24-2011, 05:08 PM
Crossbar Ping

vCash: 500
Man , Carle is good. He can handle the puck with poise in high pressure situations. Getting up there in pts per year. Pretty reliable.

Crossbar Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Go For It

I know this is slightly off topic, but who was it last season who argued that Carle was better than Timonen because his list from NHL.com was in alphabetical order?

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 11:25 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The leap of logic here is so astoundingly, stupendously, awesomely dumb that it deserves applause.

Matt Carle is an unreliable 2nd pairing D with some offensive chops... who is *ing terrible on the PP.
Explain please. Oh, and without the insults would be great. Thanks.

Last edited by phillyfanatic: 10-25-2011 at 11:39 AM.
phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 11:29 AM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The leap of logic here is so astoundingly, stupendously, awesomely dumb that it deserves applause.

Matt Carle is an unreliable 2nd pairing D with some offensive chops... who is *ing terrible on the PP.
Wasn't it you who once said Meszaros was a terrible move?

Carle was a terrible move?

For you, it seems if a player isn't Timonen or Pronger, they're unreliable.

Captain obvious award. Carle also makes half of what they make.

Find a mistake proof offensive "second pairing d-man" or a "reliable" offensive/puck-moving second pairing d-man - and you have a 1st pairing d-man, and one who'll be paid like it.

Seriously, some of you need to re-align your expectations.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

I hate stat junkies.

Watch the game.

Carle is a solid d-man. He makes a mistake from time to time but can always make up for it.

He is usually sound positionally. A few times he will get physically abused.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 12:51 PM
TheSpectrum

I would like to enter this argument by saying that I am not a big Matt Carle fan. I like his offensive awareness with the puck and he is a very solid option at the point on the PP, but he is awfully sloppy and careless on the puck. Time and again he is mishandling pucks with his stick and throwing blind passes in his own zone. I understand everyone is prone to those mistakes from time to time but I find Carle making any more of those in comparison to players like Timonen and Pronger.

Last night again Toronto on the 2nd goal he was flat out steamrolled down the right boards which created the scoring chance. Positing and stick handling are two areas that Carle is not very solid at.

TheSpectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:02 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
Carle is so underrated. Every defenseman in the league makes mistakes, but since his name isn't Timonen or Pronger he turns into the scapegoat. I'm not saying Carle is better than those two, but he gets a lot of UNMERITED criticism.
I agree with you on this.....Carle is a fine player, and what i really like about his game is that he is not afraid to pinch in and keep us on the offense...Sure he gets burned once in a while, but i like his offensive aptitude as a defensive player.....Some folks here on the forum are of the new instant gratification generation, and the moment a player has a bad game or makes a bad play, they immediately turn on the player.....Most of them will mature as they get older and will learn to look at the big picture a little more.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 03:36 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpectrum View Post
I would like to enter this argument by saying that I am not a big Matt Carle fan. I like his offensive awareness with the puck and he is a very solid option at the point on the PP, but he is awfully sloppy and careless on the puck. Time and again he is mishandling pucks with his stick and throwing blind passes in his own zone. I understand everyone is prone to those mistakes from time to time but I find Carle making any more of those in comparison to players like Timonen and Pronger.

Last night again Toronto on the 2nd goal he was flat out steamrolled down the right boards which created the scoring chance. Positing and stick handling are two areas that Carle is not very solid at.
Carle is very solid positionally. And as far as handling the puck, he is very, very good. He'll make some mistakes like any defenseman does. He's is an outstanding outlet passer.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

I didn't appreciate the PP effort, but I appreciate the hell out of that Jagr set up.

10-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Totally Radivojevic

Got blown past by Cole like he wasn't ever there, almost identical to what happened last game. He sucks.

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:35 PM
Hollywood Couturier

I appreciate that defensive effort he put forth right there.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

He's so bad defensively.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:01 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

Carle is easily my least favorite flyer. He's my whippping boy fo sho

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:13 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

I like Matt Carle. I believe he gets a lot of unwarranted overboard criticism but i really hope they resign Coburn instead of him.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:23 PM
SgtJoseph

Hopefully tonight's game was a throw away game for our entire defense ! A complete horror show !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:25 PM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxflex View Post
Yes, I think this is the major issue with Carle; defensive zone turnovers, which are usually very noticeable and often impactful. If he can manage to minimize his D zone brain farts with the puck he'd go a long way in silencing his critics as the rest of his game is decent. Another thing he could do is be more physical in his own zone, standing some people up at the blueline and marking them harder in and around the net, but if he can just avoid the egregious turnover I'd take it!
Cole blows past him...close the gap and body up there Carle!

fauxflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPrinceOfBriere View Post

Got blown past by Cole like he wasn't ever there, almost identical to what happened last game. He sucks.
This tends to become a more frequent occurrence as the season goes on.

Timonen is smaller than Carle, and you don't see him putting up with that sort of thing.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:19 PM
Totally Radivojevic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

Timonen is smaller than Carle, and you don't see him putting up with that sort of thing.
Who blew by Carle on Monday around the blue line, and when he tried to body up, he fell over? That **** happens with him all the time. Give me a defenseman who can actually play D. In last year's playoffs, he played 11 games, was a -8 with 12 giveaways. Worst player in the entire playoffs.

Old
10-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPrinceOfBriere View Post
Who blew by Carle on Monday around the blue line, and when he tried to body up, he fell over? That **** happens with him all the time. Give me a defenseman who can actually play D. In last year's playoffs, he played 11 games, was a -8 with 12 giveaways. Worst player in the entire playoffs.
Which time? It happened twice in a row.

Old
10-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Totally Radivojevic

Quote:
Which time? It happened twice in a row.
Touche. I'd love to see someone splice together all of his turnovers/times he's been walked around... feature length film.

Old
10-26-2011, 10:31 PM
mirimon

Quote:

Timonen's stickwork, skating technique and lateral movement are on a completely different level compared to Carle. He's also stronger and better positionally.

I don't think Carle has been that bad so far this year, I missed the games against the Cap and the Blues though. He grew on me a little last season as well (although he was terrible in the playoffs, but he wasn't alone). This game he was horrible for sure (again, not like he was the only one on the team who failed to show up after the first period), some of the mistakes he made out there tonight were just ridiculous. He was also alarmingly soft, if not for us already being without Pronger and being in cap hell... it would almost feel better if it turned out there's a flu bug going around in the locker room. Not only to explain Carle's play, but the team in general.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

I'm not even talking about stickwork or positioning. I mean at the end of the day, Timonen won't let someone just get past him without at least trying to run him into the boards. Carle, who is larger than Timonen, often makes no attempt. It's frustrating as hell.

Old
10-27-2011, 07:45 AM
DenverBoone

Carle has been the teams best defenseman this year. Great passing, more physical defense. More goals already, and a great setup to jagr. Not his fault our goalie is a lazy slob.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:05 AM
VanSciver

Quote:
I'm not even talking about stickwork or positioning. I mean at the end of the day, Timonen won't let someone just get past him without at least trying to run him into the boards. Carle, who is larger than Timonen, often makes no attempt. It's frustrating as hell.
These are the ridiculous comments that make zero sense. He makes no attempt. If he played like that, he wouldn't get the ice time he gets. So were back to making stuff up in a fantasy World. Carle had a poor game last night. So did the rest of the team. Meszaros has been poor all year, but we don't read anything like this about him. Why because he throws some big hits around.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:48 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
Carle has been the teams best defenseman this year. Great passing, more physical defense. More goals already, and a great setup to jagr. Not his fault our goalie is a lazy slob.
No. He has not. I don't think Carle has been bad so far this season, but it's quite clear that Pronger and Timonen are still the leaders on our defense.

Bryzgalov could have played better yesterday, but just going by memory only the fifth goal was clearly a mistake from his side. Though I mostly blame Brière for that one. Carle on the other hand lost Kostitsyn on the second Habs goal, and was doing I don't know what the **** on the fourth, but it certainly wasn't playing defense.

The pass to Jagr was great, but yesterday Carle's defensive shortcomings clearly outweighed that moment of brilliance.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote