HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

lidstrom blade substitute

Old
10-24-2011, 01:43 PM
braun247

vCash: 500
lidstrom blade substitute

I am currently using a Lidstrom blade (Lidstrom Mid Deep Very Open 5 (not 5.5) Square Medium). It is getting harder and harder to find these blades.

I am thinking that I will be forced to go to a new blade soon. Does anyone have any recommendations? I play defense and am short, so I need a 5 lie. I also have been using a square toe for years.

I have looked at all the blade charts and can find blades that have both a 5 lie and a square toe, I just don't know enough about Curve Type, Curve Depth, and the Face Angle. What does each of these do? I really haven't found enough info online to tell me the difference.

Thanks for your help.

Joe

braun247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 04:59 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
Easton renamed it to the Getzlaf since Lidstrom is with Warrior now.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 05:00 PM
hyster110

easton is now the getzlaf, warrior jovanoski, or bauer Kronwall P02

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 07:29 AM
braun247

Hi guys, thanks for your reply. I have used the Easton Getzlaf, but have had problems with it because it is a 5.5 lie. I did find the Warrior Jovanovski the other day. I am having problems find it in stock any where.

I know that 5.5 and 5 lie isn't much, but looking at my blade, I can see that a 5.5 lie wears on the heal of my blade.

The Bauer Kronwall P02 has a lie of 7.

I guess I just need to find a dealer that has a bunch of the Warrior blades and buy them up!

Thanks for your help.

Joe

Old
10-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Nbr-17

Easton renamed the Lidstrom curve to Getzlaf.
It is the same curve, same lkie, same depth, same...

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:35 AM
braun247

Hi Nbr-17. Easton did rename their Lidstrom curve to Getzlaf, but they changed the lie from 5 to 5.5. So they are not the same blade any more. Otherwise, you are correct, everything else is the same.

Old
10-25-2011, 11:10 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I just looked at an Easton catalog from 2006 and the Lidstrom is listed as a 5.5 lie. It's been the same curve for the last six years at least.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:23 PM
ponder

He might be talking about the Warrior Lidstrom, which is listed as a lie 5, but only because Warrior measures lie differently from Easton, pretty sure the Warrior Lidstrom has the same lie as the Easton Lidstrom/Getzlaf, so 5.5 on the Easton scale.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:33 PM
braun247

I always thought that Easton changed the lie 5 or 6 years ago. I am guessing that the only way I am going to get my stick on the ice is to shorten my stick.

Or could I use a JR blade in a Senior stick? I've seen some of those blades go to a 4 lie.

Old
10-25-2011, 01:41 PM
ponder

Have you compared your old Lidstrom blades side by side to new Getzlaf blades to see if the lie is actually different? Worth checking just to make sure. Pretty sure junior blades only fit in junior shafts, which have different (smaller) shaft dimensions.

Old
10-25-2011, 01:43 PM
NomadFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by braun247 View Post
I am currently using a Lidstrom blade (Lidstrom Mid Deep Very Open 5 (not 5.5) Square Medium). It is getting harder and harder to find these blades.

I am thinking that I will be forced to go to a new blade soon. Does anyone have any recommendations? I play defense and am short, so I need a 5 lie. I also have been using a square toe for years.

I have looked at all the blade charts and can find blades that have both a 5 lie and a square toe, I just don't know enough about Curve Type, Curve Depth, and the Face Angle. What does each of these do? I really haven't found enough info online to tell me the difference.

Thanks for your help.

Joe
Curve Type: Where the curve starts, e.g. the heel, mid, toe, etc. Lidstrom/Getzlaf curve is a heel curve. The "puck pocket" happens earlier in the blade, so there's more puck-blade contact, which is good for slap shots (where you're mostly going for pure power as opposed to a quick release)

Curve Depth: the "severity" of the curve. For example, the Coffee curve has high curve depth, and a totally flat blade would have none. A huge curve would do interesting things to your ability to puck handle, but it'll wreck your backhand (or at least make it much more difficult). It also adds a bit of an element of unpredictability to your shots. Supposedly also adds more velocity to your shots (see huge hooks like Ovechkin pro-stocks).

Face Angle: How open or closed the blade is. Lidstrom/Getzlaf has a very open face. A more open face let's you get shots off the ground easier.

NomadFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:44 PM
braun247

Does anyone know if I can get a custom blade made? Might cost me a little more and take longer to get, but might be worth it in the end.

I'm going a google search now, but haven't found anything. I found www.customhockeysticks.com, but they aren't in business any more.

Old
10-25-2011, 01:47 PM
braun247

NomadFan:

Thank you for the info. Maybe I am looking at this all wrong. Do I really need my blade to be flat on the ice? When I look at my blades, the tape is always worn off at the heel of the blade. Does that matter?

Thanks

Old
10-25-2011, 01:57 PM
ponder

Sherwood make custom sticks for not too much $$$.

As for your question about tape wear, heel wear is normal even with the right lie if it's after a game where you've mostly been skating around without the puck. When you skate with one hand on your stick, you're gonna be holding it in front of you way further out than you would in a shooting/passing stance, so of course you're gonna get heel wear.

Tape wear after a game doesn't tell you much at all, but tape wear after a stick and puck session where you're almost always stick handling, shooting and passing does. In such a situation you should see a fair bit of wear in roughly the mid blade area (having used different lies, I personally prefer how shots feel when the wear/main contact point is a bit towards the heel of mid blade than a bit towards the toe of mid blade). You should also be able to tell more or less whether you have the right lie by simply really focusing on how your blade is sitting on the ice when stick handling.

Out of curiosity, how tall is your stick? When you stand it vertically in front of you, on the tip of its blade (with you looking straight forward, and in bare feet), where does it come up to on your face/neck? Eyes, nose, mouth, chin, adam's apple?

Old
10-25-2011, 03:26 PM
Pog Form

Hey, braun247, to confirm, you're talking about the Warrior Lidstrom, correct?

If so, I think the Warrior Kovalev is identical except that it has a curved toe instead of square.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 03:39 PM
NomadFan

Quote:
NomadFan:

Thank you for the info. Maybe I am looking at this all wrong. Do I really need my blade to be flat on the ice? When I look at my blades, the tape is always worn off at the heel of the blade. Does that matter?

Thanks
Pretty much what ponder is saying. A lot of it is going to come down to your own technique and personal preference.

Like others previously have said, you can take your current setup and check your current blade against the latest models and see how they compare in terms of stick lie. And even if they are quite different, I'd say give one a try since you're suggesting a two piece setup. A decent blade shouldn't set you back too much, and it's possible that if there is a physical difference between what you have and what stores offer, you might prefer the new stuff anyway.

NomadFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 03:53 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Any of the current clones (Getzlaf, Lidstrom, P02) should be about the same lie and shape as the Lidstrom from Easton was five years ago.

And unless the stick is WAY off the ice at the heel or toe I'd say your lie is fine. If you can shoot, stickhandle, and pass the puck well that's all that matters.

Old
10-25-2011, 05:22 PM
hyster110

i went from using the getzlaf to the kronwall in bauer , and yes the lie was a little higher, but one i got ised to it, it was dynamite for shooting. just my 2 cents

Old
10-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Nbr-17

Easton blade patterns: Easton Hockey Stick Blade Pattern Specs Chart

Warrior blade patterns: Warrior Hockey Stick Blade Pattern Specs Chart

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:25 AM
braun247

Ponder - Thanks for the info about the stick wear. I am guessing that I am making to much of it. As for how tall my stick is, in street clothes, it goes to my nose. So I am guessing it goes to my chin with my skates on.

Pog Form - You are correct, I am talking about the Warrior Lidstrom.

To everyone else, thanks for the info. I have been playing roller hockey now for 13 years and ice for a year. I have never really done any research into what stick I should have. I am hoping this discussion will help me.

I was at a stick and puck on Monday, and found that my slap shots from the blue line are going over the net by a foot or more. I am guessing from what I have learned here, is that I should try a different blade, maybe one that is slight slightly open or neutral. If did do that, what can I expect to change (besides the my slap shots going lower)?

Thanks for your help.

Old
10-27-2011, 09:00 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If you like everything else, I'd just work on your follow through on slappers. Otherwise, try the P106. It's a lower lie, similar curve but a bit less open, rounder toe but not super round.

Old
10-27-2011, 11:30 AM
hyster110

Quote:
Ponder - Thanks for the info about the stick wear. I am guessing that I am making to much of it. As for how tall my stick is, in street clothes, it goes to my nose. So I am guessing it goes to my chin with my skates on.

Pog Form - You are correct, I am talking about the Warrior Lidstrom.

To everyone else, thanks for the info. I have been playing roller hockey now for 13 years and ice for a year. I have never really done any research into what stick I should have. I am hoping this discussion will help me.

I was at a stick and puck on Monday, and found that my slap shots from the blue line are going over the net by a foot or more. I am guessing from what I have learned here, is that I should try a different blade, maybe one that is slight slightly open or neutral. If did do that, what can I expect to change (besides the my slap shots going lower)?

Thanks for your help.
best curve i have found for a dman is the PM9/zetterburg curve. its a closed face, 5 lie, nad you have to work to get the puck high perfect for a dman