HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia's Affinity to Boo

Old
10-27-2011, 07:47 AM
toronto murphy laws

vCash: 500
Philadelphia's Affinity to Boo

Why do you guys boo so much? Seems like every other minute in flyers games, the fans are booing for one reason or another. Then, after the whistle, even more booing... for either the players or refs.

I don't get it. No other fanbases throws the boo-birds around like philly.

Is it a cultural thing?

toronto murphy laws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 07:50 AM
Czech Your Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonajams View Post
Why do you guys boo so much? Seems like every other minute in flyers games, the fans are booing for one reason or another. Then, after the whistle, even more booing... for either the players or refs.

Is it a cultural thing?
They must be saying Boo-ryz... or else Boo-riere

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:13 AM
Krishna

Are we watching the same games? I dont think we boo enough.

Krishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:18 AM
Hollywood Couturier

No other fanbases boo more than us because we're stereotyped to always be booing and angry fans. When really we're not.

We boo players when they're not playing up to their ability. We will boo the living hell out of a player that isn't hustling. IF you work hard the fans will love you. If you dog it we will boo. The fanbase expects to win.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:28 AM
John Wayne Gretzky

I for one boo like 90% of the time while at the Wells Fargo Center or the opposing teams stadium.

For me, it makes the experience more fun, and if you are there to cheer for the away team, you should be getting heckled or booed otherwise you aren't getting the full experience.

Stop being such a whiner man, sorry our fans are really passionate about the game.

John Wayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:38 AM
toronto murphy laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne Gretzky View Post
Stop being such a whiner man, sorry our fans are really passionate about the game.
I wasn't whining? lol... Just wondered if I was out to lunch thinking you guys booed more than the average fanbase.

I'd rather booing than a bunch of suits discussing business mergers, aka. the ACC.

Old
10-27-2011, 08:56 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:

Is it a cultural thing?

Which team do you cheer for?

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:11 AM
toronto murphy laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
Which team do you cheer for?
Leafs fan in peace. Noticed it last week when we played you guys and wondered whether it was an ongoing thing or if it was just that game in particular.

I'm not being critical, was just curious.. Like I said earlier, I'd prefer any emotion at all rather than the dull atmosphere at the ACC.

Old
10-27-2011, 09:16 AM
phillyfanatic

I atended a game at the Wells Fargo last week, it was only my second game in the building. It was a GREAT atmosphere, the fans really bring energy to the building. I live in Ottawa and their building is TERRIBLE. However, I have attended games in Montreal, if you are a "true" hockey fan, do yourself a favor - attend at least one game in Montreal. It is an awe-inspiring experience.

In Philly, I honestly think the fans do a good job keeping our team accountable. With that said, I personally think the fans have a NEGATIVE impact on the game in certain ways:

1. STOP ******* BOOING SIDNEY CROSBY!!! Some players get off their game when boo'ed, but some guys feed off it. Crosby feeds off it, so......leave him the **** alone
2. Take it easy on the Refs would ya. The fans boo the hell out of em, half the time when they make the right call, and then......the calls end up going AGAINST the home team. Drives me nuts.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Broad st phantom

Quote:
Leafs fan in peace. Noticed it last week when we played you guys and wondered whether it was an ongoing thing or if it was just that game in particular.

I'm not being critical, was just curious.. Like I said earlier, I'd prefer any emotion at all rather than the dull atmosphere at the ACC.
made you miss placed some of the "Rooooo" chants as Boo's.

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:32 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
I atended a game at the Wells Fargo last week, it was only my second game in the building. It was a GREAT atmosphere, the fans really bring energy to the building. I live in Ottawa and their building is TERRIBLE. However, I have attended games in Montreal, if you are a "true" hockey fan, do yourself a favor - attend at least one game in Montreal. It is an awe-inspiring experience.

In Philly, I honestly think the fans do a good job keeping our team accountable. With that said, I personally think the fans have a NEGATIVE impact on the game in certain ways:

1. STOP ******* BOOING SIDNEY CROSBY!!! Some players get off their game when boo'ed, but some guys feed off it. Crosby feeds off it, so......leave him the **** alone
2. Take it easy on the Refs would ya. The fans boo the hell out of em, half the time when they make the right call, and then......the calls end up going AGAINST the home team. Drives me nuts.

LOL you are funny. Flyers fans are never going to stop booing Crosby so you may as well accept that. Also, the refs are paid to ignore the crowd and make calls based on what they see. If they allowed emotions to get to them and make calls to spite the crowd, they would get reprimanded for it.

Old
10-27-2011, 09:38 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:

Alright I'm glad you're not a habs fan then because they also boo a lot. I guess we just feel like we can have an impact on the game by being very loud. If that means booing our own players because they are playing poorly or booing the refs for not making a call then we will do it. I'm fine with that because we are keeping it real.

I find it ridiculous that us booing Crosby, Toews, and Miller on the cure for cancer ad was brought to media attention. We are keeping it real by booing those players and I'm sure some people didn't even notice the ad was for fighting cancer. We pay close attention to the details of the game and always voice our opinions. It's much more fun to do that than be silent the whole game. That's boring.

Old
10-27-2011, 09:39 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad st phantom View Post
made you miss placed some of the "Rooooo" chants as Boo's.
I got a feeling this has something to do with it.

While on topic, I don't seem to understand why Canucks fans boo everything Luongo makes a save.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:42 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

if you're referring to the leafs game a couple days ago, the fans were booing the refs for some phantom calls and the leafs for not keeping their sticks down.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:43 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Why do Montreal fans constantly "cheer" in anticipation of a penalty being called whenever one of their forwards falls down? And then boo?

Booing happens everywhere. Usually it's warranted. Sometimes it's because fans don't get the rules or they didn't get a sufficient replay like they show on TV.

Maybe it's just because we care? Something wrong with showing a little passion, and doing a little differently than every other boring place?

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:46 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
LOL you are funny. Flyers fans are never going to stop booing Crosby so you may as well accept that. Also, the refs are paid to ignore the crowd and make calls based on what they see. If they allowed emotions to get to them and make calls to spite the crowd, they would get reprimanded for it.
Yeah I don't care if Crosby "feeds" off the boos (which is BS, he's just kinda good), he's the enemy, really the only reason I dislike the Penguins (even though I acknowledge, again, he's very good). He'll continue to get that treatment; anyone under the impression that booing will cause any player to play worse is deluded most of the time.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:48 AM
czechmate25

Hockey and Nascar are my two favorite sports....I wanted to use a Nascar comparison here.

The late, great Dale Earnhardt used to get boo'd like no other. Some say he was dirty ( he was) and others were just jealous that their driver didn't have the talent he did. Anyway, one day he was asked if all the booing bothered him. His reply was something along the lines of "As long as they are making noise, I'm doing something right.....it doesn't matter if they are cheering or booing. When the reaction (either positive or negative) stops, then it will start bothering me".

The point is, booing an oppsing player gives them the feeling they are doing something right. Players feed off of it. If you get boo'd in an opposing building, it means that the other fans either fear you or wish they had you (just look at the reaction jagr has got in Pittsburgh ever since he left that dump, you think those clowns dont wish they still had jagr?)

I will never boo a guy like Crosby (and I hate him more than most) b/c I won't give him the satisfaction of feeling a sense of accomplishment.

Does anyone really think being boo'd effects elite players game play? Ovechkin got the crap boo'd out of him in Philly last week, he was in a slump (by his standards) and he goes out and scores two goals.

Silence and no reaction says much more than booing does imo.

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmate25 View Post
The point is, booing an oppsing player gives them the feeling they are doing something right. Players feed off of it. If you get boo'd in an opposing building, it means that the other fans either fear you or wish they had you (just look at the reaction jagr has got in Pittsburgh ever since he left that dump, you think those clowns dont wish they still had jagr?)

I will never boo a guy like Crosby (and I hate him more than most) b/c I won't give him the satisfaction of feeling a sense of accomplishment.

Does anyone really think being boo'd effects elite players game play? Ovechkin got the crap boo'd out of him in Philly last week, he was in a slump (by his standards) and he goes out and scores two goals.

Silence and no reaction says much more than booing does imo.
Booing the other team is stupid, for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
No other fanbases boo more than us because we're stereotyped to always be booing and angry fans. When really we're not.

We boo players when they're not playing up to their ability. We will boo the living hell out of a player that isn't hustling. IF you work hard the fans will love you. If you dog it we will boo. The fanbase expects to win.
This. This is 100% the Philly sports fan ethos, and is why I use this avatar. Kappy didn't bring top-6 speed to Philly, but he brought 100% effort.

As for refs, NHL refs suck and always deserve to be booed. Same for Bettman. In fact, if the Flyers ever were to win the Cup at home, I think the fans would still boo him. I would, anyway.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:55 AM
toronto murphy laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Why do Montreal fans constantly "cheer" in anticipation of a penalty being called whenever one of their forwards falls down? And then boo?
hahahaha man so true.. i hate habs fans, they're absolutely the most annoying in the nhl.

that, coupled with their ole ole's makes them the epitome of lame. this isn't soccer... smh.

didn't know about the rooo chant.. reserved for your boy giroux i assume?

Old
10-27-2011, 10:09 AM
PuckBoy33

Have you seen our sports teams' performances lately?

That explains the boos.

PuckBoy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:39 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I love booing.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:55 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

It's Eagles fans passing the time because they need to get pissed off at someone or else they can't sleep at night.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Chris Pronger
Valar morghulis

vCash: 50
Montreal fans boo everytime one of their players falls on the ice.

Chris Pronger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:59 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:

Is it a cultural thing?
Have you ever watched a game in Montreal?

-touch a habs player, fan response: BOOOO!
-be a french canadian on another team, fan response: BOOOO!
-play a bad game, fan response: BOOOOO!

booing is fun anyways. who ever came up with "booing" anyways? I'd like the learn of it's origin

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:56 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post

This to a "T"

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote