HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tank Another Day | Habs win 5-1 | Stock up on chicken wings.

Old
10-27-2011, 03:04 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Oh man...I hope the hockey gods aren't reading your post T.
If they are, we nominate Darche! Kidding but maybe that would get Martin to show emotion. He might publicly weep.

Jesting aside, outside of a terrible first period we played an excellent, and dare I say entertaining, game, at least for a defensive formation. It is a wonder what happens when you bolster the top two lines in lieu of trying to run a balanced top nine. There is a good reason why teams do not attempt this on a consistent basis, so hopefully Martin has learned. Nonetheless, I will await the double header with Boston before rejoicing the slump is dead. 5-1 is eerily what happened against Winnipeg.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:17 AM
torero

We won 5-1 ... isn't the difference just that the Gods of hockey were with us ??

Not wanting to sound negatif or anything like that, and do not misunderstand me because i am very happy with this victory.
And i missed the game. (here it starts at 1 am until 3 am so you do not watch all !!).
I saw the stats ... and the highlights and i felt that Phily could have perfectly won this game. In the first period ... posts and good opportunities were on their side ... with the goal of my landsman Weber changing the direction events but this goal was coming out of nowhere a couple of seconds before the end.

And then all opportunities on our side were buried. While they didn't.

I read a lot of praises on the players ... but i am not sure for example it was the best game for Diaz who according to some stats still blocked many many shots !! some goals were a bit lucky !!

All this to say that in my point of view, this was the usual Habs team. Just with luck. We can be lucky again ! and we have a very decent team that is a contender but that started with a lot of unluck.

In fact we had soo much unluck that , i think we emptied the tank and will be playing the rest of season perfectly and end up with the cup in our hands !!

GoHabsGo,
GoSwissHabsGo

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:32 AM
CuteHockeyBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Man I love watching big men. Erik Cole, Andrei Kostitsyn, Lars Eller, Max Pacioretty, Travis Moen. Please bring more big men Gauthier.
Ryan White coming back soon*

*Soon may vary by your definition of it.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:35 AM
Aceekay

Reading the flyers GDT was very, very, VERY funny.

Aceekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:43 AM
Rutabaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
It is a wonder what happens when you bolster the top two lines in lieu of trying to run a balanced top nine. There is a good reason why teams do not attempt this on a consistent basis, so hopefully Martin has learned.
It would be nice of you to explain me what you're trying to say there.
Because you just have to check the datas of the game to see that we won mainly because Martin chose to spread out our offensive firepower after our horrible first period.

Except if you consider a line with Kostitsyn and Eller as a checking line, but im not really sure thats an accurate description.

And if you can also explain why the other teams are not doing that way, whereas the last 2 Cup winners are (or were) known for their offensive depth, not to mention the fact that we just played a team with...3 scoring lines.

The teams are all trying to play as much talent as possible, the only reason of why they cant do it on a regular basis is mainly related to the salary cap and the fact that you still need to ice a competitive defense/goaltender.

Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 05:22 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

im gonna be that guy and say that it really wasn't much of an improvement over the last few games. they played pretty much the same they did in previous games except for Carey stealing a few and cole being :awesome:

only difference is the hockey gods weren't mad at us.

defense is still suspect, the penalty kill and the powerplay are still works in progress

props to subban for holding on to the puck at the end in order to give it to price. even though he wasn't playing, im pretty sure he didn't want it pronger'ed

and special mention to giroux. holy **** that guy is scary good

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 05:45 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
3 stars (for me):

1. Pacioretty
2. Eller
3. Kostitsyn

What an amazing defensive game for Lars Eller.
Eller should stay at center. Habs are a little small and soft down the middle and he is big, raw-boned strenght with good wheels. Give him time to work out a few bugs but he has more value as a center.

Pacioretty should stay on the first line. A lot of waste keeping him on the third line. Cole was awazing driving to the net...forcing penalties and creating scoring chances

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 06:05 AM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceekay View Post

Knowing the result, reading the Habs GDT was funny as well !
In french you call this Maniaco-dépression

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 07:56 AM
Maxpac

I'l try to stay away of the Cole and Pacioretty are awesome!!! posts for a few seconds.

Tonight was a very good game for our centers, hopefully Eller and Desharnais push Gauthier to make a long awaited decision on Scott Gomez. Both our kids DESERVE to have the ice-time that they are having, Eller still doesn't have the ice-time that he should have, if you ask me..

Now, the classic power-play rant...

Finally, you would think, somebody figured out that Subban needs to play with a right handed defensmen to get that one-tome pass on his sitck because Plekanec takes too much time to turn his body towards Subban. Except, once we give him Diaz, who's an excellent passer, THEY MAKE SUBBAN PLAY ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE ICE!!!!! What the hell was that? I mean seriously, do you want the power-play to work or not? Diaz does not have Subban's shot, not even close, while Subban is not a QB ala Markov at all, use your assets properly, please.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:00 AM
The Right Price

The team played well, finally capitalizing on the opportunities they created and most importantly, crashed the net. Result 5 goals.

I'm not the most superstitious person on earth but I find it funny that the first game Price is back with his normal Cowboy mask he wins. Keep your lucky mask Carey! It's one of his best anyway.

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:07 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers845 View Post
Flyers played like poop after the first 19:00
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Flyers played horrible, Habs profit
So funny, how if by chnce the Habs win 5-1 it's because the other team didn't play well. This team just can't do anything right !

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:43 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
We won 5-1 ... isn't the difference just that the Gods of hockey were with us ??

Not wanting to sound negatif or anything like that, and do not misunderstand me because i am very happy with this victory.
And i missed the game. (here it starts at 1 am until 3 am so you do not watch all !!).
I saw the stats ... and the highlights and i felt that Phily could have perfectly won this game. In the first period ... posts and good opportunities were on their side ... with the goal of my landsman Weber changing the direction events but this goal was coming out of nowhere a couple of seconds before the end.

I read a lot of praises on the players ... but i am not sure for example it was the best game for Diaz who according to some stats still blocked many many shots !! some goals were a bit lucky !!

All this to say that in my point of view, this was the usual Habs team. Just with luck. We can be lucky again ! and we have a very decent team that is a contender but that started with a lot of unluck.

In fact we had soo much unluck that , i think we emptied the tank and will be playing the rest of season perfectly and end up with the cup in our hands !!

GoHabsGo,
GoSwissHabsGo
I agree with you but using your logic the Habs should have won some of the last 6 games. It was about time we got a little bit of luck going our way.

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:16 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
So funny, how if by chnce the Habs win 5-1 it's because the other team didn't play well. This team just can't do anything right !
Don't be such a homer, in the 1st it looked like we were about to lose the game 100-0. The flyers were not only leading us by points, they were controlling the puck shift after shift after shift. We were lucky that they never re-adjusted after we came out way more agressive in the 2nd period.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:36 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Don't be such a homer, in the 1st it looked like we were about to lose the game 100-0. The flyers were not only leading us by points, they were controlling the puck shift after shift after shift. We were lucky that they never re-adjusted after we came out way more agressive in the 2nd period.
By that logic you can the Panthers were lucky we didn't readjust. Buffalo was lucky not to lose 14-3. Matter of fact, pretty much every team is lucky to have pulled away with a win except for CGY and PIT...

Don't get me wrong, before we got that last PP in the first, I was actually shaking my head and said ''boy, we effin' suck..I can't believe how bad we look''. The crowd booing was very warranted. All we were doing was defend, it seemed like it was a practice and you'd earn a point by clearing the zone. It was horrible.

But there's the good old cliché, one that Mtl fans is very familiar with, ''we didn't play for 60min''. Flyers played for 20, we played for 40.

It's not because we were badly outplayed in the first that we don't deserve the win or some merit.
We were badly outplayed. Okay, that's bad.
We were able to limit the Flyers (with some luck like WS missing open net) to only 1 goal. Merit.
We were able to tie it up on the PP with 2sec left. Merit.
We came out strong in the 2nd and got the lead. Merit.
We kept the pressure on them and added to our lead. Merit.
We didn't let down, sit on our lead and defend in the third. Merit.

Nothing to get carried away, it's just our 2nd victory. But the team showed some good things and there's nothing wrong with admitting that.
Even if the Flyers played bad, at least we were able to take advantage of it. So, every fan should be able to give some credit to the Habs. If they can't then really, why call themselves fans..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:39 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Homer ? Did you really watch this game ? Yes the Flyers played better than the Habs in the first, but the Habs played much better than the Flyers in the 2nd and the 3rd ! Which tells me we were the better team. And what the flip is wrong with being a homer. Are you upset because you are part of the Tank crew ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Gary320

Quote:
So what about versus the Leafs in the first period when we outclassed them (season opener?)..

So what about Florida last game?

Buffalo the one before?

We say it over and over.. it's great that you have effort, but it doesn't mean **** if you don't score. Montreal learned that... Flyers did so too..

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Price View Post
The team played well, finally capitalizing on the opportunities they created and most importantly, crashed the net. Result 5 goals.

I'm not the most superstitious person on earth but I find it funny that the first game Price is back with his normal Cowboy mask he wins. Keep your lucky mask Carey! It's one of his best anyway.
Ha ha ha...I said a couple days ago he needs to lose that mask in a huge way.
Couldn't stand that pink mask. I'm all for causes but that was brutal.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceekay View Post
If I were a Flyers fan I would look at their goalie coach to see if they can't have a goalie coach that can suit Bryzgalov better. (Personally I think that goalie coaching is part of Philadelphia being a goalie graveyard)

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:46 AM
windycity

Quote:
It's not that common in the NHL that one team dominates the whole game, there's too much parity. That said we played really well after the 1st. Yes Flyers missing Pronger but we have a few key injuries ourselves

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Davebo
beep beep

So - what ignited us between the 1st and 2nd periods?

Was it simply Weber's goal that got them going? Or was something said or done in the dressing room between periods - does anyone have any insights or inside info on that?

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:57 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
So - what ignited us between the 1st and 2nd periods?
Martin, who supposedly never adjusts in-game, tweaked his lines.

MaxPac went to play with Pleks and Cammy went to play with DD.

Giroux mysteriously vanished after that. Max and Cammy both scored.

I hope the lines stay this way. MaxPac is a fantastic ES player and I think he will thrive more than Cammy in the tough-minutes roles. Cammy is a brilliant offensive player who can utterly murder lesser lights if he gets soft minutes (like he did with Iggy in Calgary).

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:08 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post

GoHabsGo,
GoSwissHabsGo
You should have seen the game. It wasn't a lucky win. Hockey is a team game and le Canadien outplayed the Flyers from the time Weber's seeing-eye shot went in. Shots that bounce off the goal posts usually don't go into the net. The ability to block shots is a skill. The second goal scored by Pacioretty was just as clean as the one scored by Jagr. Price didn't allow another goal, clean or flukey, after Jagr's. Rejoice.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Martin, who supposedly never adjusts in-game, tweaked his lines.

MaxPac went to play with Pleks and Cammy went to play with DD.

Giroux mysteriously vanished after that. Max and Cammy both scored.

I hope the lines stay this way. MaxPac is a fantastic ES player and I think he will thrive more than Cammy in the tough-minutes roles. Cammy is a brilliant offensive player who can utterly murder lesser lights if he gets soft minutes (like he did with Iggy in Calgary).
I'd forgotten about the lines - of course that's the bulk of it. D'oh - thanks. I wonder if someone said anything, as well.

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:08 PM
SB164

Looks like PK's classless slapshot injured Schenn.

Per Holmgren: Brayden Schenn suffered a broken left foot in the game last night. He will be out of action for 4 – 6 weeks.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Protest the Hero

I bet he did it on purpose, typical Subban.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote