HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Over/Under until Bobrovsky is the starter?

Old
10-26-2011, 11:53 PM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

vCash: 500
Over/Under untill Bryz shuts up all of these massive pessimists when he plays vezina caliber hockey for three games and the same people start touting him as the best goalie in the league and his contract is a great deal?

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:57 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanVT395 View Post
Over/Under untill Bryz shuts up all of these massive pessimists when he plays vezina caliber hockey for three games and the same people start touting him as the best goalie in the league and his contract is a great deal?
why you heff to be dead on?

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:44 AM
Ryker

On one hand, I think it's always valid to criticize/deconstruct how a player plays at any time, but on the other, as people have mentioned, you have to keep things in perspective. It's early on, and even though Bryzgalov hasn't look his sharpest from what I can tell, even Leighton could string together two good games, like Bobrovsky has. And by that I don't mean that Leighton is as good as Bobrovsky, I'm just saying you can't make sweeping judgments based on this year's goaltending we've had thus far.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:23 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
Yea it is. I dont know where everybody but Kimmo is, but our defense sucks and their obviously leanin way too hard on quality (Bryz) and prayin it saves the day all on his own. rediculous. Pronger needs to start doin what was done to him to some of his own guys.
Kimmo's terrible failed clear late in the 1st is what sparked the downfall. He's been good, but he makes his share of mistakes too.

As for the OP it's laughable to say Bob is the better goalie after he's played 2 games.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:25 AM
Broad st phantom

I like people who starts thhreads like this thinking this the caliber play we will get from Bryz, oh and having Defense helps also now and again.

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:55 AM
buff

i want bob!

buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:59 AM
pelts35.com

To the OP, please watch last night's goals again.

1st goal - defense simply stopped playing. Nobody was even close to the shooter and not 1, but 2 Flyers were screening Bryz along with 1 Hab

2nd goal - Kostitsyn skated in alone to gather the puck at the top of the crease.

3rd goal - Puck bounces off of Carle right onto Pacioretty's stick

4th goal - Bryz makes 2 or 3 saves, Pacioretty and Plekanic are standing at the top of the crease without a single Flyer dman near them

5th goal - How many chances did the Flyers have to get the puck out of the zone? Did anyone want to pick up Cammalleri?

Yep, I can see why you would want a goalie change when not a single goal was on Bryz last night.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Bad News Bears
MACHADO ABOUT NOTHIN

vCash: 623
BOBROVSKY! You're off the case! Hand in your badge and your gun.

Bad News Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:12 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Wow. I knew this board was the knee-jerk reaction central of HF, but this is getting ridiculous. Should we trade Giroux too? He has been held scoreless in two of the last three games!!!! Move the team to Kansas City ASAP! It's a sinking ship!

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:21 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
To the OP, please watch last night's goals again.

1st goal - defense simply stopped playing. Nobody was even close to the shooter and not 1, but 2 Flyers were screening Bryz along with 1 Hab

2nd goal - Kostitsyn skated in alone to gather the puck at the top of the crease.

3rd goal - Puck bounces off of Carle right onto Pacioretty's stick

4th goal - Bryz makes 2 or 3 saves, Pacioretty and Plekanic are standing at the top of the crease without a single Flyer dman near them

5th goal - How many chances did the Flyers have to get the puck out of the zone? Did anyone want to pick up Cammalleri?

Yep, I can see why you would want a goalie change when not a single goal was on Bryz last night.

I 100% agree with you that none of these goals were Bryz's fault and that Bryz is and will be the better goalie.

HAVING SAID THAT, I want to see some more games of Bryz making saves that he's not supposed to make and stealing games for us. Several goalies win games for their teams by themselves and we are paying Bryz a lot of money (highest paid goalie in the league this season) for this very reason.

I realize that it's early and I still think he will lead us out of this slump but I want to see an incredible goalie stealing games for us. We have said all along that goalies making huge saves will spark your team. That's what we need, ESPECIALLY in the playoffs.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:27 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
I 100% agree with you that none of these goals were Bryz's fault and that Bryz is and will be the better goalie.

HAVING SAID THAT, I want to see some more games of Bryz making saves that he's not supposed to make and stealing games for us. Several goalies win games for their teams by themselves and we are paying Bryz a lot of money (highest paid goalie in the league this season) for this very reason.

I realize that it's early and I still think he will lead us out of this slump but I want to see an incredible goalie stealing games for us. We have said all along that goalies making huge saves will spark your team. That's what we need, ESPECIALLY in the playoffs.
This team won't make the playoffs with Bryz in net! He should be playing in the AHL! He's so bad!

Old
10-27-2011, 10:37 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
This team won't make the playoffs with Bryz in net! He should be playing in the AHL! He's so bad!

Come on dude that's not even close to what I said! Have you forgotten that Bryz is the highest paid goalie in the league? A goalie like that should be making all of the saves you're supposed to AND some saves you are not. We saw a bit of that from him in the first few games. I would like to see that more often. Great saves like that keep your team in the game and give you confidence.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:42 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
Come on dude that's not even close to what I said! Have you forgotten that Bryz is the highest paid goalie in the league? A goalie like that should be making all of the saves you're supposed to AND some saves you are not. We saw a bit of that from him in the first few games. I would like to see that more often. Great saves like that keep your team in the game and give you confidence.
I wasn't really responding to your post, just the word playoffs. I agree with your post completely, just poking fun at the people freaking out over a couple losses. He should be making those saves, but not every goalie (even the best) makes saves they should make 100% of the time. When the defense starts clicking and the season gets rolling, things will turn. The first two games he was pretty damned good but no one seems to remember those. They mean nothing. The REAL Bryz is the one that loses, not the one that wins!

Old
10-27-2011, 10:53 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

I used to come on here for some good hockey talk, or to get info on what was going on with the team. Now, it seems to be getting more and more like sports talk radio.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:07 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
I used to come on here for some good hockey talk, or to get info on what was going on with the team. Now, it seems to be getting more and more like sports talk radio.
Don't know if I could have said this better myself.

But yeah...our defense has not been doing him any favors, he's not been great but...we're not that far into the season yet. Let's all just calm down, have a brew/whiskey and not freakout.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:45 AM
ORYX

So whats the over/under on Alex Auld replacing Carey Price as the Montreal starter? Or Schnieder replacing Luongo, or Budaj replacing Anderson, and the list goes on my friend.

It's early, give it a rest. Why do we have like12 threads on how supposedly bad bryzgalov is in every aspect of his game?

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:54 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
So whats the over/under on Alex Auld replacing Carey Price as the Montreal starter? Or Schnieder replacing Luongo, or Budaj replacing Anderson, and the list goes on my friend.

It's early, give it a rest. Why do we have like12 threads on how supposedly bad bryzgalov is in every aspect of his game?
But he only has one shutout! It was pretty clear when they signed him that he was going to go 82-0 with 82 shutouts, and now this?! This is outrageous! KANSAS CITY HERE WE COME!

Old
10-27-2011, 12:12 PM
tuckrr

3 years

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:14 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Don't know if I could have said this better myself.

But yeah...our defense has not been doing him any favors, he's not been great but...we're not that far into the season yet. Let's all just calm down, have a brew/whiskey and not freakout.
He's been completely left out to dry in a few of our worst efforts

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:18 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Wow. I knew this board was the knee-jerk reaction central of HF, but this is getting ridiculous. Should we trade Giroux too? He has been held scoreless in two of the last three games!!!! Move the team to Kansas City ASAP! It's a sinking ship!
Amazingly enough the Flyers board has nothing on the Nucks board.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:32 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Bobrovsky, or Vokoun, or Patrick Roy. it doesnt matter who is in goal if we play like we did last night.
Last night was not Bryzgalov's fault. if most of the team plays with their foot up their ass like they did last night it doesnt matter who is in goal. you are going to get the result you did last night.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:34 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

As I've noted in the Bryzgalov thread about whether he'll live up to his contract....it's pretty futile to start from a conclusion that he won't live up to it and then try to support it based on 9 effin games..all of which he didn't play and 3 of which he actually did good in..so it's even less. He has kind of stunk the last 3 though and if we want to argue about that it's fair game. Even Meltzer today gave Bryz some jabs and I agree they are warranted even if the D has looked autistic..

Quote:
The Flyers need Bryzgalov to play about 200 percent better than he did in the Washington, St. Louis or Montreal games. His positioning and puck reactions last night were subpar. Right now, Sergei Bobrovsky is the better Philadelphia goaltender, and it would not be a surprise at all if Bob is back in net tonight after playing on Monday against Toronto.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...-Jets/45/39216

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Yeah, he was left out to dry by the D...but at the same time he's supposed to be the kind of goalie who can carry the team to give them a chance to win. Haven't seen that so far, and it's something he needs to start doing soon. The team needs to find its identity and having absolute confidence in their goaltender can go a long way. That being said, this is a cold streak...it happens. Even the mighty Lundqvist and Miller have less than stellar stretches. However, it needs to end ASAP.

As for Bob, I don't think he's at the level to carry a struggling team on his own.

To reiterate/perhaps clarify my stance from the other thread, no, these games won't be what decides whether his contract is worth it. People who are assessing his contract based on this stretch of play should take a deep breath and calm down. IMO that's something that will take much longer to fully assess and will depend greatly upon how he does for the last half of it; we know he has the ability now...the future is much less certain, and that contract certainly has a lot of storm clouds in the distance. It's one thing to point out that there's a lot of potential for trouble down the road, but to declare "bust! Put in Bob!" now is premature.

10-27-2011, 12:50 PM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

Come on mannnnn, Bryz is the starter, we've had no D in the games he's lost, stop being so fickle

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:53 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
I wasnt implying that Bryzgalov shouldnt take some of the blame for the teams struggles of late, but the team hasnt been good of late. he needs to be better, but so does the team. I also dont think you can blame him for the Caps loss. 4 of those were wonky deflections. the Blues game and last night he should share in the loss along with most everyone else.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote