HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What do you think about this hit?

Old
10-27-2011, 02:42 AM
JYP88*

vCash: 500
What do you think about this hit?

What do you think about this?

Eetu Pöysti got one matchpenalty!!!!. I think that its quite clean hit, but maybe little bit too much speed in it.

(not sure if this is right area for this)

JYP88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:49 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Looked ok to me. Looks like he just wacked his head pretty good. I guess he called boarding?

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:51 AM
vapor11

Clean hit..

I can hear Don Cherry saying "keep your head up kids"

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:33 AM
McDugan

Not necessarily a "dirty" hit, but it looks reckless to me. More finish on that hit than was needed, IMO. I think the thrust of the arms and the "follow-through" of the hit show a disregard for safety. He came close to putting his forearm/elbow right through the guy's head.

On a side note, I definitely misread the title of the thread and was wondering how it got past the obscenity filter.

McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:32 AM
Trojan35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYP88 View Post
What do you think about this?

Eetu Pöysti got one matchpenalty!!!!. I think that its quite clean hit, but maybe little bit too much speed in it.

(not sure if this is right area for this)
He starts striding at his own blue-line and doesn't stop taking strides until their face-off dot. I know he's hustling to get back into the play, but that's way too much "distance traveled" to finish a check that hard and not get a charging call.

Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1983 View Post
Looked ok to me. Looks like he just wacked his head pretty good. I guess he called boarding?
Got game misconduct and one game suspension for boarding.

The injured player got a "severe concussion", according to the doctors.

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:09 PM
Renbarg

A borderline charge. But definitely not boarding.

Really one of those unfortunate areas of the ice. If the the player was up the ice 1 more foot or closer to the boards 1 more foot he would have been fine.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:35 PM
welcomebackwinnipeg

Not suspension worthy, but I'd call it a charge.

welcomebackwinnipeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:23 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
A borderline charge. But definitely not boarding.

Really one of those unfortunate areas of the ice. If the the player was up the ice 1 more foot or closer to the boards 1 more foot he would have been fine.
People think boarding is only for hits from behind into the boards, but that's not the case, it's for any particularly violent/dangerous hit into the boards. "Checking from behind" is only for hits from behind, but it's a more severe penalty (automatic major and game misconduct), so you don't see it called that often. These are the rules as they're defined in the NHL of course, but they're similar in most leagues.

As for this hit, I think it's a penalty, you could really call either charging or boarding. Both penalties are very ambiguous, very loosely defined, but they're basically just meant to penalize overly reckless/dangerous/malicious hits. They're basically the same penalty, except charging is for open ice hits, boarding for hits along the board, and this hit is sort of half way between open ice and along the boards. Checking is mostly in the game as a way to separate a guy from the puck, you're not meant to slaughter people. As for the suspension, considering the victim suffered a major concussion on a hit that I think is pretty clearly either a charge or board, I think 1 game is about right.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:34 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
People think boarding is only for hits from behind into the boards, but that's not the case, it's for any particularly violent/dangerous hit into the boards. "Checking from behind" is only for hits from behind, but it's a more severe penalty (automatic major and game misconduct), so you don't see it called that often. These are the rules as they're defined in the NHL of course, but they're similar in most leagues.

As for this hit, I think it's a penalty, you could really call either charging or boarding. Both penalties are very ambiguous, very loosely defined, but they're basically just meant to penalize overly reckless/dangerous/malicious hits. They're basically the same penalty, except charging is for open ice hits, boarding for hits along the board, and this hit is sort of half way between open ice and along the boards. Checking is mostly in the game as a way to separate a guy from the puck, you're not meant to slaughter people. As for the suspension, considering the victim suffered a major concussion on a hit that I think is pretty clearly either a charge or board, I think 1 game is about right.
That is what I though. I looked up the rule and you are right. So I guess a board is applicable in this situation.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Charging for sure, borderline boarding, and if I were Shannaban I'd probably suspend him for recklessness/intent to injure. You don't have to try and demolish a guy that distance to the boards.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 05:28 PM
Gino 14

No question that it was boarding and worthy of multiple game suspensions.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 06:43 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

2 mins for a rough.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 07:51 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
No question that it was boarding and worthy of multiple game suspensions.
I agree, the player never leaves his feet so although its a violent hit, it has to be boarding. now he does take more than 2 strides before contact but since the player ends up contacting the boards that is the logical call.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Malreg

Last time I checked hitting was part of the game... He didn't target the head, he didn't hit him from behind, he didn't throw an elbow. 2 minutes for boarding if anything at all.

Malreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 03:07 AM
LOFIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malreg View Post
Last time I checked hitting was part of the game... He didn't target the head, he didn't hit him from behind, he didn't throw an elbow. 2 minutes for boarding if anything at all.
What is the logic behind this? The rules are clear if you make a foul and the victim is injured, it has to be a major penalty. If you elbow someone and the victim gets hurt you CANT give the agressor a 2 minute penalty, it has to be a major, same case here.

LOFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Gino 14

Even though this wasn't in the NHL, here's the actual rule from the NHL regarding boarding, since many here seem to have no idea what it is......

Rule 41 - Boarding

41.1 Boarding – A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player or goalkeeper who checks an opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to be thrown violently in the boards. The severity of the penalty, based upon the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 05:37 PM
LOFIN

SM-Liiga is using the IIHF rulebook so if we agree on that this it is boarding (or charging), th rule book says:

b) A player who injures his opponent as a result of boarding (Charging) shall be assessed at the
discretion of the Referee a:
Major penalty + Automatic Game Misconduct penalty (5’+GM)
or
Match penalty (MP)

Although I dont tink Pöysti intentionaly injured Platil, he had too much speed and should have taken Platils (pardon my grammar) position few meters away from the boards into consideration (yes hockey is a fast game, you cant always react as fast as you should but Pöysti had time with this hit)

LOFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 06:22 PM
kento19
@kento19

vCash: 50
why is everybody saying its a charge? Just because a player has a lot of speed doesn't mean it's charging. You can clearly see he stopped skating, spread his legs and started gliding before he hit him. Not a charge.

kento19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:03 AM
romdj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kento19 View Post
why is everybody saying its a charge? Just because a player has a lot of speed doesn't mean it's charging. You can clearly see he stopped skating, spread his legs and started gliding before he hit him. Not a charge.
you're right but the guy was 3-4ft away from the board which is the most dangerous spot (boarding call comes in), and it is a blind side hit...with a 30mph impact...quite a rough surprise...
I believe this is very border line and that it's better to call it than not to...

romdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Torquenstein

vCash: 490
When the guys arrived to help the guy my fist thought was : "Don't forget to bring a towel!"

Torquenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
For the umpteenth time, the "three strides" standard with charging is about distance traveled, not the actual amount of steps a player takes immediately before the hit. This isn't really outright charging, but it's certainly possible to call it because the forward gathering momentum towards the hit from the top of the circle.

That said, the appropriate call is a 5+game penalty for boarding. Whoever quoted the rule above quoted the old version. The new one clarifies that it's "checks or pushes a defenseless player" into the boards. From an NHL standard, this is textbook boarding - it ain't about how hard you hit him, but about how awkwardly and dangerously he goes into the boards. The IIHF tends to be slightly stricter about calls (i.e., more harsh on the hitter), so I would assume their standard for 5+game is also met.

It's harsh to a hitter because, in a case like this, I don't think there's real maliciousness involved. But boarding is a safety call and meaning to hurt a guy doesn't really matter. Think of it kind of like a high stick - if a hitter launches a guy head or neck first into the boards, he's almost always going to be called for it outside of extenuating circumstances (follow through in a h.s., last-second position change/attempting to pull up in boarding).

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote