HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HOME OPENER - Toronto Maple Leafs @ New York Rangers - 10/27/11 - Game #8 - 7:00PM ES

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2011, 12:20 PM
NikolaiTesla*
This team is waffle!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan Up View Post
You like your player being called Ryan Bozak?
If he can't make a name for himself, someone else should.

All kidding aside, I'm not looking forward to Gus in net against you guys. There goes my anticipation for this one.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:22 PM
WeWillWinTonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Ugh, those lines are an atrocity. WTF, Torts?!

Feds should not be on the top line, ever. I love what the guy brings, but he's a bottom 6 player. That's where he excels and that's where he should stay.

I'm ok with the 2nd line.

The 3rd line is dumb. What exactly is Wolski going to bring to that line? The dude has groin problems and you're putting him on the energy/checking line?

Anisimov rotting on the 4th line is ridiculous. He's going to get 6 minutes a game. What a waste.

I like the D pairings. Adding Sauer instantly makes our pairings look 100x better.

FYI, this would be my forward lineup.

Dubinsky-Richards-Gaborik
Boyle-Anisimov-Callahan
Wolski-Stepan-Prust
Fedotenko-Rupp-Newbury

OR

Wolski-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Boyle-Stepan-Prust
Fedotenko-Rupp-Newbury

The more I try and make lineups for this team, the more I realize that Wolski creates a huge problem. The guy is too inconsistent and lackadaisical to play Top-6 LW minutes, and too soft to play Bottom-6 LW minutes. I really wish Hagelin was ready for the NHL, because our lines instantly look better....

Stepan/Dubinsky-Richards-Gaborik
Stepan/Dubinsky/Boyle-Anisimov-Callahan
Hagelin-Stepan/Boyle-Prust
Fedotenko-Rupp-Newbury
It's all about ice time, every one likes to make their own video game lines but the truth of the matter is torts has his top 9 skaters and they get te majority of the ice time. For instance your lines don't make sense because Fedotenko does not get 4 minutes ice time a game

Old
10-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolaiTesla View Post
If he can't make a name for himself, someone else should.

All kidding aside, I'm not looking forward to Gus in net against you guys. There goes my anticipation for this one.
I'm sure we'll bombard him with our typical 14 shots on goal.

NYR goals for/ game= 2.00
NYR Goals against/ game= 1.86

TOR goals for/ game= 3.12
TOR goals against/game= 3.38

Should be an interesting one, I guess.

10-27-2011, 12:29 PM
backy

Let's win tonight boys! Let's Go Rangers!

Old
10-27-2011, 12:32 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I keep seeing complaints about Fedotenko being on the first line because he's a bottom 6 player, but he was a top 6 player before he was a Ranger.

Not only did he play on Brad Richards' wing during Tampa's cup run when Richards won Conn Smythe, but he also played on Malkin's wing in 2009 when the Pens won the cup. Feds also spent some time on Crosby's wing during his two years in Pittsburgh.

Fedotenko is a player that can keep up with the best of them and has had chemistry with Richards in the past. It was entirely predictable that he'd be on Richards' line at some point. I thought he was our best forward on Tuesday night, so he's definitely earned it.
Fedotenko is not a Top-6 player anymore. His final season in Pittsburgh, he was -20 because of being forced to play there. He's a guy that can step up for a game or two due to injuries and not hurt you too much, but that's it. With the relatively healthy forward lineup we have right now, he should not be anywhere near that top line.

The guy is 32 years old, has slowed down, and had to drop 20 lbs to even get a contract with us in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I love Feds as a player, but he belongs on the 3rd or 4th line. He made one nice pass to Boyle a couple games ago, and had a nice deflection on the PP, and all of the sudden people think he can play with Richards and Gaborik. He can't. He's a guy that's going to be defensively responsible and chip in 30ish points from the 3rd or 4th line, while giving you hard minutes.

Torts always tries to put guys like Prust and Feds in positions where they simply should not be. Prust on the PP makes me want to gouge my eyes out, and I LOVE Prust. Feds played with Richards 6 long years ago, and even then his career high for points is 41. I don't know about anyone else here, but if whoever ends up sticking as the 1LW only scores 41 points, I'm going to be calling for their/Torts heads, because something went seriously wrong.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWillWinTonight View Post
It's all about ice time, every one likes to make their own video game lines but the truth of the matter is torts has his top 9 skaters and they get te majority of the ice time. For instance your lines don't make sense because Fedotenko does not get 4 minutes ice time a game
Well, obviously I was trying to create a scenario where Torts could pretty much roll all 4 lines, with the 4th line getting 10-12 minutes a game. Plus, Feds would be getting his normal PK time, so I don't see the issue. Feds got ~13 minutes of ES time last season, and another ~1 minute a piece for PK and PP, for a total of ~15 minutes. What I suggested is very close to that.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

vCash: 50
Reimers on my fantasy team so good thing hes not playing tonight

Old
10-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Levitate

One reason Torts (and coaches around the league in general) try to put grinders with skill players is that a lot of skill players kinda suck at cycling the puck or forechecking. The idea being, if there's a guy on that line who can dig pucks out and get them to the skilled guys, then maybe they can create something instead of spending all their team on the boards losing battles.

Tortorella is not unique in doing this. Sometimes it works, though rarely for significant periods of time, and I'm pretty sure coaches are aware of this.

Old
10-27-2011, 01:00 PM
WeWillWinTonight

Quote:
Well, obviously I was trying to create a scenario where Torts could pretty much roll all 4 lines, with the 4th line getting 10-12 minutes a game. Plus, Feds would be getting his normal PK time, so I don't see the issue. Feds got ~13 minutes of ES time last season, and another ~1 minute a piece for PK and PP, for a total of ~15 minutes. What I suggested is very close to that.
I certainly will not argue with you about rolling 4 but it just doesn't happen with torts

Old
10-27-2011, 01:07 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Dubinsky should be on the first line.

Old
10-27-2011, 01:08 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers scored a touchdown against the Monster last February. The Rangers had 1/2 of their team out with injuries and the pucks went in on Monster like a wet bar of soap. 2 points are a must in this game. No excuses.
I was going to post something like this. We ate Gusty up last year, I remember one of Gaborik's goals was a no chance fluttered backhand at him, haha. We should win. Gaborik has to stay hungry.

Old
10-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Dubinsky should be on the first line.
So he can take bad penalties and ruin the momentum for that line?

Old
10-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
So he can take bad penalties and ruin the momentum for that line?
No, because he is the best LW we have.

Old
10-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Hensch

I know this has probably been said before, i wouldn't mind seeing Boyle on the top line with Gabs and Richie

Old
10-27-2011, 01:21 PM
Fire Sather
new Niclas Wallin?

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
First home game since the 3-0 meltdown.

Was there, won't be tonight.

Old
10-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
No, because he is the best LW we have.
Hasn't been playing like it.

Old
10-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Hensch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Hasn't been playing like it.
This is True, very undisciplined, he is our best LW, but not playing like it at all

Old
10-27-2011, 01:37 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
First home game since the 3-0 meltdown.

Was there, won't be tonight.
FS not in the building tonight, we have a chance.

Old
10-27-2011, 01:38 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Gustavsson in net. Should be a W.

Old
10-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Levitate

Leafs defense is also pretty terrible at playing defense, so that should help the Rangers get shots on goal

But they've been doing awesome on offense so gotta stay out of the box and not let Kessel get open

Old
10-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Hensch

Better be a win, considering all the office chirping i've been doing to leafs fans...

Old
10-27-2011, 01:42 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Fedotenko is not a Top-6 player anymore. His final season in Pittsburgh, he was -20 because of being forced to play there. He's a guy that can step up for a game or two due to injuries and not hurt you too much, but that's it. With the relatively healthy forward lineup we have right now, he should not be anywhere near that top line.

The guy is 32 years old, has slowed down, and had to drop 20 lbs to even get a contract with us in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I love Feds as a player, but he belongs on the 3rd or 4th line. He made one nice pass to Boyle a couple games ago, and had a nice deflection on the PP, and all of the sudden people think he can play with Richards and Gaborik. He can't. He's a guy that's going to be defensively responsible and chip in 30ish points from the 3rd or 4th line, while giving you hard minutes.

Torts always tries to put guys like Prust and Feds in positions where they simply should not be. Prust on the PP makes me want to gouge my eyes out, and I LOVE Prust. Feds played with Richards 6 long years ago, and even then his career high for points is 41. I don't know about anyone else here, but if whoever ends up sticking as the 1LW only scores 41 points, I'm going to be calling for their/Torts heads, because something went seriously wrong.
Yet even though Feds' career high is 41 points, both Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh managed to win cups with him playing in a top 6 role. I don't really think he has slowed down that much at all either, he still goes balls to the wall every night. After coming off such a strong game on Monday, it seems like an odd time to complain about him.

Also, we don't have a legit 1st line LW, so get used to seeing some combination of Feds, Dubi, Wolski, or Stepan in that spot unless a better alternative pops up. We have seen players on the top line in recent years who are far from 1st line players (Christensen, Higgins, etc.). This team is still incomplete and we don't have many great options to play on the 1st line with Richards and Gabby. That is hardly Torts fault. Once again, yet another situation where Torts is being blamed for something that is Sather's responsibility.

Old
10-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Fire Sather
new Niclas Wallin?

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
FS not in the building tonight, we have a chance.
True.

Shame, I wanted to walk the Chase Blue Carpet.

Old
10-27-2011, 01:45 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Should be a good game. Extremely pumped to watch the first game at the Garden.

Expecting a Ranger's win tonight against The Monster.

4-2 Rangers

Richards, Gaborik, Dubinsky, Del Zotto

Kessel, Connolly

10-27-2011, 02:03 PM
RyanBozak

Send a message via AIM to RyanBozak
Considering the whole team currently sucks at cycling the puck at the moment I could care less who is on what line outside of the normal crap.

Stop dumping and chasing all the time, dumping and changing on 3 on 2s and dumping on Powerplays to avoid the board work the -entire- game and maybe we'll get somewhere. If all we can manage to do is hold possession of the puck to dump and lose the chase or shoot wide we'll have another 12-16 shot total the entire game.

Nevertheless, I have some faith and think this will be a turnaround/decent game. LGR.

Closed Thread