HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

What are your hopes/expectations for the home stand?

Old
10-27-2011, 09:36 AM
Jersey Girl

vCash: 500
What are your hopes/expectations for the home stand?

Just wondering what everyone thinks would constitute a 'successful' home stand? For me it breaks down to two completely different areas of expectation...how they play, and what their record is.

Looking backward, I COMPLETELY agree with what Tortorella said about there being no need to apologize for their record. But looking forward, I do think the team just needs to play better, needs to have the puck more, needs to forecheck better, needs more from Richards, needs balanced scoring...needs a lot in order to be able to compete with the best this season. And it's time to start competing with the best.

I really think it's time for the Rangers to get out of that dreaded fight for the 7-10 positions the last two weeks of the season...and they have to play better to do that.

So this homestand is a huge barometer...and a huge opportunity. When it's said and done the season will be 16% complete...still a long way to go of course, but not the beginning of the season anymore. I would like to see them not playing catch up the whole winter. After the homestand the team will also have played one more home game than road game, so that advantage will have gone away.

They are playing three bad teams who are playing badly...Ottawa, Winnipeg and Montreal. One potentially bad team who is playing really well right now and may or may not actually be bad...Toronto. And two teams off to the same kind of start we are...Anaheim and San Jose. The games are perfectly spaced, there is plenty of practice time, and there should be no fatigue issues whatsoever.

Personally, considering the level of competition and what our potential should be, I would like 9 points out of 12...that's what a top team would do. But I would sign for 8. Anything less would be a disappointment. They really need to come out of this flying...the schedule going forward does not get difficult until Thanksgiving...this is their opportunity to play near the front of the standings for a change.

I TOTALLY do not buy any Marc Staal injury excuses...or any injury excuses for that matter. The Penguins have been without Crosby for the entire season, and Malkin has been limited to one goal in four games. Yet they are 7-2-2. Their top scoring forwards are James Neal, Pascal Dupuis, Jordan Staal and Matt Cooke. Please. Most would agree those names do not compare to our top forwards...yet the Penguins are there, and we are here. Again. Time to end that.

ALL teams have injuries that are important to them, and find ways to deal with them. It's part of hockey.

So my expectations are 8-9 points out of 12, and the team playing better and more cohesively. I don't think 4-1-1 or 4-2 is too much to ask for.

What say you?

Last edited by Jersey Girl: 10-27-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:47 AM
Matteau Matteau

We have to hope the Garden crowd (and being home, getting rest) ignites them. BUT, we heard the same "now we can practice and rest" thing when they got home from Europe.

We are playing so terribly that I don't know how much improvement we can see. Maybe three wins? Who knows.

Please, Rangers, prove me wrong.

Christ, I'd settle for some puck control/movement.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:07 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteau Matteau View Post
We have to hope the Garden crowd (and being home, getting rest) ignites them. BUT, we heard the same "now we can practice and rest" thing when they got home from Europe.
They haven't been able to exploit home ice over the past few seasons. A good start to this first home stand would go a long way toward breaking that trend.

In the end, I think we'll probably judge the home stand on the way they played more than the record. I agree that if they can show an improvement in puck possession and maybe shot selection, it would be more satisfying that scraping out a couple of low scoring OT or shootout wins.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:30 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
I TOTALLY do not buy any Marc Staal injury excuses...or any injury excuses for that matter. The Penguins have been without Crosby for the entire season, and Malkin has been limited to one goal in four games. Yet they are 7-2-2. Their top scoring forwards are James Neal, Pascal Dupuis, Jordan Staal and Matt Cooke. Please. Most would agree those names do not compare to our top forwards...yet the Penguins are there, and we are here. Again. Time to end that.
If you're taking Crosby and Malkin out of the equation, why are you looking at the forwards when defense is really where the big difference between the two teams is? They have a boatload of offensive skill on their blueline. We don't. That is a big reason they are able to soldier on without Crosby (better coaching might also have something to do with it).

Quote:
So my expectations are 8-9 points out of 12, and the team playing better and more cohesively. I don't think 4-1-1 or 4-2 is too much to ask for.

What say you?
I don't disagree. They MUST beat teams like Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Winnipeg, and even Anaheim. I'll take a loss to the Sharks if they come away with wins against all of these mediocre or downright bad teams.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
If you're taking Crosby and Malkin out of the equation, why are you looking at the forwards when defense is really where the big difference between the two teams is? They have a boatload of offensive skill on their blueline. We don't. That is a big reason they are able to soldier on without Crosby (better coaching might also have something to do with it).
You can definitely make the argument Pittsburgh has more offense from their defense...but let's let the season play out and see how McDonagh progresses, if del Zotto figures it out, what we get from Erixon, etc. Right now, yes.

I looked at Pittsburgh's forwards because they're missing two of the best on the planet, and still getting it done.

Old
10-27-2011, 11:12 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
NYR Harvest Homestand 2011

Oct 27 TOR Win 4 - 1
Oct 29 OTT Win 5 - 3
Oct 31 SJ Loss 1 - 3
Nov 3 ANA OTL 2 - 3
Nov 5 MON Win 4 - 2
Nov 6 WPG Win 6 - 2

6 games in 10 nights
3 - 2 - 2 going into MSG
7 - 3 - 3 going out on the road again...

Might calm things down a bit...
Wanna see more than lucky points and great goaltending.
Structured offensive play(ie less dump & chase and an effective forechecking when the d&c is utilized), a better breakout of the zone, some better pinching, a functional PP (say 15-20%!!! conversion) and some NHL worthy coaching. Keep the lines together and use some tactics outwitting the other coaches (utilizing weaknesses) - I swear Torts act is now getting old and wearing my (and a lot of other peoples too) patience very thin!

Last edited by BBKers: 10-27-2011 at 11:18 AM.
BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:16 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Just wondering what everyone thinks would constitute a 'successful' home stand? For me it breaks down to two completely different areas of expectation...how they play, and what their record is.

Looking backward, I COMPLETELY agree with what Tortorella said about there being no need to apologize for their record. But looking forward, I do think the team just needs to play better, needs to have the puck more, needs to forecheck better, needs more from Richards, needs balanced scoring...needs a lot in order to be able to compete with the best this season. And it's time to start competing with the best.

I really think it's time for the Rangers to get out of that dreaded fight for the 7-10 positions the last two weeks of the season...and they have to play better to do that.

So this homestand is a huge barometer...and a huge opportunity. When it's said and done the season will be 16% complete...still a long way to go of course, but not the beginning of the season anymore. I would like to see them not playing catch up the whole winter. After the homestand the team will also have played one more home game than road game, so that advantage will have gone away.

They are playing three bad teams who are playing badly...Ottawa, Winnipeg and Montreal. One potentially bad team who is playing really well right now and may or may not actually be bad...Toronto. And two teams off to the same kind of start we are...Anaheim and San Jose. The games are perfectly spaced, there is plenty of practice time, and there should be no fatigue issues whatsoever.

Personally, considering the level of competition and what our potential should be, I would like 9 points out of 12...that's what a top team would do. But I would sign for 8. Anything less would be a disappointment. They really need to come out of this flying...the schedule going forward does not get difficult until Thanksgiving...this is their opportunity to play near the front of the standings for a change.

ALL teams have injuries that are important to them, and find ways to deal with them. It's part of hockey.

What say you?

I agree...excellent post

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:22 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Just wondering what everyone thinks would constitute a 'successful' home stand?
Win every game 3-1. Gabby with the shp gwg every night?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:24 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post

Oct 27 TOR Win 4 - 1
Oct 29 OTT Win 5 - 3
Oct 31 SJ Loss 1 - 3
Nov 3 ANA OTL 2 - 3
Nov 5 MON Win 4 - 2
Nov 6 WPG Win 6 - 2
Yea, but generally we seem to beat the better teams and lose to bottom feeders.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Fataldogg

We will be lucky to win 3 with how our team is playing. IF Lundqvist stands on his head, 3-4 wins.

IF not, and Tortorella continues to obsess with his grinders getting the majority of ice time, the team struggles to put on 15 shots a game, etc, it could get ugly amongst the Garden Faithful. And I wouldn't blame them.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:06 PM
NYRKindms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
We will be lucky to win 3 with how our team is playing. IF Lundqvist stands on his head, 3-4 wins.

IF not, and Tortorella continues to obsess with his grinders getting the majority of ice time, the team struggles to put on 15 shots a game, etc, it could get ugly amongst the Garden Faithful. And I wouldn't blame them.
If they put in a shyte effort the crowd is going to get on them. And rightfully so. With the NBA off. i have been hearing more and more box scores for the NHL on radio sta. that never seemed to ever mention it. Drive in this morning the Ranger home opener was mentioned several times. The NY microscope is going to be on this team more than ever. It is a potential "perfect storm" whcih could go either way depending on how the team plays.

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:16 PM
BBKers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
Yea, but generally we seem to beat the better teams and lose to bottom feeders.
According to the Leafs Board, they already have the SC June parade planned - so they must be darned good. Anaheim is 8th & San josé is 11th now in the the West... Just saying... by your logic - some of these halfhearted "predicted" results make even more sense...

Old
10-27-2011, 01:30 PM
Blue Regime

But you forgot, Uncle Gary fixes it so the Pens get all the calls!

Blue Regime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:30 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post

Grinders are not getting the majority of the ice time, in fact it's not even CLOSE, but keeping throwing out that red herring...

The Top 6 in total ice time are

Cally
Richards
Gabby
Dubinsky
Stepan
Feds

Top 6 in Even Strength Ice time are

Richards
Gabby
Stepan
Cally
Dubinsky
Feds

FACTS not OPINION

Old
10-27-2011, 01:34 PM
BBKers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Grinders are not getting the majority of the ice time, in fact it's not even CLOSE, but keeping throwing out that red herring...

The Top 6 in total ice time are

Cally
Richards
Gabby

Dubinsky
Stepan
Feds

Top 6 in Even Strength Ice time are

Richards
Gabby
Stepan

Cally
Dubinsky
Feds

FACTS not OPINION
Grinders = red
Players = blue

Old
10-27-2011, 01:44 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Grinders = red
Players = blue
So your "players" are getting the most ES TOI...who else do you want to get ES minutes who aren't?

Old
10-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
My expectations are simple, I want to see improved offense. Maybe more than 15 shots on goal? I don't think i'm asking for a lot but thats what i'm looking for these next few games.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Primetime Powerplay
Muh Offensive Talent

If we stay disciplined, we could go 5-1 imo

Primetime Powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:27 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

I'll be thrilled if we can get 8 points out of 12.

Home wasn't our strong suit last season..

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Giacomin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1983 View Post
I'll be thrilled if we can get 8 points out of 12.

Home wasn't our strong suit last season..
I would be happy with a 4-2 homestand. I won,t be thrilled though as I think the Rangers have the potential to break out on this homestand and run off 5 or 6 in a row. I have a feeling we could go a major run now that we are home

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:15 PM
BBKers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
So your "players" are getting the most ES TOI...who else do you want to get ES minutes who aren't?
I am not advocating anything at all. Just defining the type of players who have gotten the most ice time this season so far. You can draw any conclusion you like from that - just don´t quote or decide on my thoughts on the subject - as you have no idea what goes on inside my tormented mind... And btw I had no real opinion here, just liked highlighting things with pretty colours...

Old
10-27-2011, 03:18 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

Obviously I hope for a good home stand, 8/12 doesn't sound too bad. Honestly, I think I'd be satisfied with a consistent good great effort through a few games. Even the games we've won haven't felt satisfying. We need to play strong.

McDonagh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:20 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
I am not advocating anything at all. Just defining the type of players who have gotten the most ice time this season so far. You can draw any conclusion you like from that - just don´t quote or decide on my thoughts on the subject - as you have no idea what goes on inside my tormented mind... And btw I had no real opinion here, just liked highlighting things with pretty colours...
I wasn't deciding on your thoughts (probably shouldn't have put "your players" in my response)...my only point was aside from Feds...going into the season that was pretty much this teams Top 5 guys

Old
10-27-2011, 03:21 PM
NYRSchrute217

I'll take four wins. I'd also like us to not be in the box 7 times a game and actually put the puck on net.

NYRSchrute217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Jersey Girl

Well, sounds strange saying this, but the Leafs are probably the best team they'll play during this homestand, so If I was hoping for 4-1-1...hopefully they just got the loss out of the way!

Who's wih me?!? Paging Kel Varnsen...paging Kel Varnsen/genericnyrusername!!! Need your help here!!!