HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposal Thread XVIII

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2011, 03:04 PM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Screw Kostitsyn. Guy plays disappearing act constantly.

Old
10-25-2011, 03:08 PM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Screw Kostitsyn. Guy plays disappearing act constantly.
You mean Kostitsynly?

I mack a jock!

Old
10-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Spezza19
GO SENS GO!!

Really wish we had signed Brunette, he's looked real good in Chicago so far. He's 38, has 4 pts in 7 games and still has his legs under him. He would have fit in here really nicely too!

Old
10-25-2011, 03:12 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
Well he's definitely an impact player when he's on. He's also scored 20+ goals in every season where he's played over 60 games (3 of 4 years). He's easily a 45-55 point guy, he hits, he can break a game open... They're a team that can't score and he's a lock for 20 goals. He's their 2nd or 3rd best goal scorer. They wont trade him, and I dont think they'd do it for a late 1st either. If they deal him, its for immediate help or its way later in the year. They have no reason to trade Kostitsyn for a guy who might not even be in their line up when all of Markov, Subban, Gill, Gorges, Campoli and Spacek are healthy. Besides maybe Spacek, all those guys bump both Lee and Kuba. If they make a trade involving Kostitsyn, they'll either get a 1st + Prospect, a DMan to bump Campoli and Gill/Gorges out of the (healthy) top 4, or they'll package him for a better forward.
Never suggested he couldn't score, but he is lazy defensively and takes games off regularly. Obviously you like him, but I think GMs around the league are fairly aware of his talent, but penchant to not work hard.

Also never suggested the Canadiens would trade him, just said I doubt he would fetch a first round pick, let alone a 1st and a prospect.

I also don't support your notion that all these players are better than Lee or Kuba, matter of opinion I guess.

Old
10-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Brunette is 38 and he is pretty much the biggest point leach in the entire NHL these past few seasons. He does two things well, leading, and picking up secondary assists when given significant powerplay time.

Old
10-25-2011, 03:37 PM
trentmccleary

A.Kosty is a UFA 2nd liner... he's just about the last player that we should be trading young players and picks for.

Old
10-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
Really wish we had signed Brunette, he's looked real good in Chicago so far. He's 38, has 4 pts in 7 games and still has his legs under him. He would have fit in here really nicely too!
I doubt Brunette would have been too keen to come sign with a lottery team for his last couple of seasons, especially since he's never won the cup.

Old
10-25-2011, 03:46 PM
Spezza19
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
Brunette is 38 and he is pretty much the biggest point leach in the entire NHL these past few seasons. He does two things well, leading, and picking up secondary assists when given significant powerplay time.
And that's supposed to be a bad thing? He's been a consistent 60 point guy wherever he has gone throughout his career. And how the hell can you say he's a leech when he's usually a very even split between goals and assists? Last year, 18 goals, and before that he had seasons of 25, 22, 19, 27, 24. So he's been a 20 goal scorer 4 of his last 6 season and just missed out on hitting 20 in the other 2.
He's actually been a quite a sniper the last 5 years.

And leadership is exactly what you sign him for, he has that quality that you want in the room. And yes, he's great on the PP.

Weak point man...Brunette would have been a great signing!

Old
10-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Spezza19
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
I doubt Brunette would have been too keen to come sign with a lottery team for his last couple of seasons, especially since he's never won the cup.
Well yeah exactly, sure he mulled over some offers from other teams but Chicago was his best option. I wanted to deal for him at the deadline all the years we were contending and shopping but he was already on a playoff bound team in Minnesota and Colorado.

Old
10-25-2011, 03:56 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
Classless Chaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Never suggested he couldn't score, but he is lazy defensively and takes games off regularly. Obviously you like him, but I think GMs around the league are fairly aware of his talent, but penchant to not work hard.

Also never suggested the Canadiens would trade him, just said I doubt he would fetch a first round pick, let alone a 1st and a prospect.

I also don't support your notion that all these players are better than Lee or Kuba, matter of opinion I guess.
I agree hes lazy and takes games off, but when hes on hes an impact player. I just dont think his value would be too far below Penners, who has been pretty much the same player except for a 20 game stretch in 09-10.

As for their D, I think Spacek would be close with either one and they'd probably switch in and out, but they need Gills size and the other ones are clearly better at this point.

Old
10-25-2011, 03:56 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
Classless Chaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
A.Kosty is a UFA 2nd liner... he's just about the last player that we should be trading young players and picks for.
Also, this.

Old
10-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
And that's supposed to be a bad thing? He's been a consistent 60 point guy wherever he has gone throughout his career. And how the hell can you say he's a leech when he's usually a very even split between goals and assists? Last year, 18 goals, and before that he had seasons of 25, 22, 19, 27, 24. So he's been a 20 goal scorer 4 of his last 6 season and just missed out on hitting 20 in the other 2.
He's actually been a quite a sniper the last 5 years.

And leadership is exactly what you sign him for, he has that quality that you want in the room. And yes, he's great on the PP.

Weak point man...Brunette would have been a great signing!
Most of those goals come from rebounds or quick shots while standing beside the net after being set up beautifully by Mikko Koivu or Sakic back in the day. They count the same as any other goals, but he has no where to go but down. Brunette has consistently been handed prime PP real estate and prime linemate, and yes he most certainly does produce adequately. I just happen to think that a rebuilding team handing those two things to a veteran that is nearing retirement instead of to someone with potential, that we actually control, is one of the dumbest things we could do.

Old
10-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Spezza19
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Most of those goals come from rebounds or quick shots while standing beside the net after being set up beautifully by Mikko Koivu or Sakic back in the day. They count the same as any other goals, but he has no where to go but down. Brunette has consistently been handed prime PP real estate and prime linemate, and yes he most certainly does produce adequately. I just happen to think that a rebuilding team handing those two things to a veteran that is nearing retirement instead of to someone with potential, that we actually control, is one of the dumbest things we could do.
Relax, he would have been on the SECOND PP UNIT, not the first. Also, he is still a very servicable top 6 player, clearly good enough to crack Chicago's lineup and replace Brouwer and Kopecky. Really not sure why you're hating on the guy but he's a respected vet who has been consistent his whole career. I don't care how he gets his points. Bottom line is, Murray obviously felt he wouldn't fit in here or he could have been had. Or maybe he made an offer and Brunette instantly turned it down.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

Nick Foligno + Brian Lee + 2nd for Turris.

Lee isn't ever going to get a fair shake here, Foligno is replaceable (IMO) and a 2nd isn't THAT bad to get rid of. I think it would also help us immediately with Regin likely out for an extended period and Zibanejad back in Sweden.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Berserker

How about Winchester and O'Brien for either Kyle Beach or Zack Kassian? The sens need to move one of the players with one way contracts and at this point winchester is the most expendable and O'Brien looks like he may need a fresh start - many prospects are surpassing him on the depth chart. Kassian would be a little harder to attain but it might be fair value. Beach is a bit of a headcase but he has some good potential. Either player would be primarily used in Bingo for this season.

Thoughts?

A couple of other prospects to consider trading for are Dwight King (LA), Eric Tangradi (PIT), Brandon Mashinter (SJS), Stefan Della Rovere (STL), or Dannick Paquette (WSH).

Old
10-27-2011, 12:53 PM
trobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post

Lee isn't ever going to get a fair shake here, Foligno is replaceable (IMO) and a 2nd isn't THAT bad to get rid of. I think it would also help us immediately with Regin likely out for an extended period and Zibanejad back in Sweden.
Foligno + 2nd
or
Lee + 2nd

Old
10-27-2011, 01:00 PM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobby View Post
Foligno + 2nd
or
Lee + 2nd
I wouldn't really like to give even that much, but agreed that we should definitely not be offering both for Turris.

Old
10-27-2011, 01:00 PM
MandyAlwaysKnows
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
How about Winchester and O'Brien for either Kyle Beach or Zack Kassian? The sens need to move one of the players with one way contracts and at this point winchester is the most expendable and O'Brien looks like he may need a fresh start - many prospects are surpassing him on the depth chart. Kassian would be a little harder to attain but it might be fair value. Beach is a bit of a headcase but he has some good potential. Either player would be primarily used in Bingo for this season.

Thoughts?

A couple of other prospects to consider trading for are Dwight King (LA), Eric Tangradi (PIT), Brandon Mashinter (SJS), Stefan Della Rovere (STL), or Dannick Paquette (WSH).
What? Da Costa is still up here and needs time playing Bingo. There isn't too many one way contracts.

As for JOB for them sure. Not sure why the Sabrés would give up on Kassian so soon though.

Old
10-27-2011, 01:03 PM
MandyAlwaysKnows
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:

just extend him an offer sheet. $3M cap hit. 2nd round compensation. Giving him an extra million > giving up Foligno. And aren't you the one saying the Sens will make the playoffs? Foligno may be replaceable but Foligno ---> Filatov still hurts the team.

Old
10-27-2011, 01:38 PM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
just extend him an offer sheet. $3M cap hit. 2nd round compensation. Giving him an extra million > giving up Foligno. And aren't you the one saying the Sens will make the playoffs? Foligno may be replaceable but Foligno ---> Filatov still hurts the team.
There's no way that Murray offer-sheets Turris.

If that was the case I don't see how it would hurt the team (bringing Filatov back up.) But for the most part Turris would replace Foligno's production and he was money in the playoffs last year. Filatov should be expected to make it back up to Ottawa at some point this season anyway and this would allow us to send Da Costa back down without having to worry about Regin.

Greening - Spezza - Michalek
Filatov - Turris - Alfredsson
Daugavins - Smith - Neil
Condra - Konopka - Winchester

Not only that but in the future we have guys like Silfverberg, Puempel, Stone, Petersson, Hoffman, Noesen etc. coming up and frankly there just isn't room. I think our weakest area on the ice is down the middle, and having Spezza, Zibanejad, Turris, Da Costa, Regin, Smith and Konopka as options would make us very strong moving forward.

Old
10-27-2011, 01:51 PM
BBB

I am anxious to see what happens to Butler when he comes back. Is there a spot for him other then as Alfie's rest day fill-in?

Old
10-27-2011, 01:58 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:

If that was the case I don't see how it would hurt the team (bringing Filatov back up.) But for the most part Turris would replace Foligno's production and he was money in the playoffs last year. Filatov should be expected to make it back up to Ottawa at some point this season anyway and this would allow us to send Da Costa back down without having to worry about Regin.

Daugavins - Smith - Neil

Not only that but in the future we have guys like Silfverberg, Puempel, Stone, Petersson, Hoffman, Noesen etc. coming up and frankly there just isn't room. I think our weakest area on the ice is down the middle, and having Spezza, Zibanejad, Turris, Da Costa, Regin, Smith and Konopka as options would make us very strong moving forward.
Right now almost anyone could replace Foligno's offence... goal & assist in 9 games averaging 16:04 TOI. Numbers aren't pretty for Nick.

Since I don't believe Da Costa is ready for the NHL just yet, I would do a Foligno - Turris swap. Would like to see Daugavins/Hoffman-Turris-Alfie line.

Old
10-27-2011, 02:01 PM
MandyAlwaysKnows
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:

Daugavins - Smith - Neil

whatever I think subbing Foligno for Filatov hurts the team because at least Foligno is useful if he's not scoring. Spezza, DC, Zib, Regin and Smith are 5 potential top 3 centres and the team is fine down the middle.

I don't see how there's no way Murray offer sheets Turris. If he's looking to acquire him he should be looking at every possible option no?

Old
10-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB View Post
I am anxious to see what happens to Butler when he comes back. Is there a spot for him other then as Alfie's rest day fill-in?
Butler will play when he is ready, according to MacLean, but I don't see him in the top six. He is going to have to find his scoring touch, even then he isn't bumping Alfie, Michalek, or Greening.

His best hope would be Foligno moves to center and he can out perform Daugavins. I have my doubts Butler can do that, Daugavins is bigger, stronger and has a more complete game.

Butler needs to score goals to be in the NHL, it really is that simple.

Old
10-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
whatever I think subbing Foligno for Filatov hurts the team because at least Foligno is useful if he's not scoring. Spezza, DC, Zib, Regin and Smith are 5 potential top 3 centres and the team is fine down the middle.

I don't see how there's no way Murray offer sheets Turris. If he's looking to acquire him he should be looking at every possible option no?
Filatov was very responsible defensively when he was playing, he just needs more confidence offensively. The kid oozes talent, far moveso than Nick, hopefull some time with KK will bring out the best in him.

Nick can be effective, but he is far from a reliable top 6 point producer, and can also look pretty lost defensively. IMO the real question facing the Sens is does Nick fit into the team's future?

With the likes of Zibby, Da Costa, Silfverberg, Stone, Puempel, etc, on the way and players like Daugavins, Hoffman, O'Brien, Grant, etc available now, maybe it is the time to make a decision on Nick and see what his market value is.

Closed Thread