HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Christian Thomas Suspended 10 Games in OHL

Old
10-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

vCash: 500
Christian Thomas Suspended 10 Games in OHL

For high sticking, and I have to say, COMPLETE BS.

Watch the video at http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/ Its right on the front page.

Wait till you see how "bad" it was, terrible, terrible ruling.

Even the "Rational" that the league provide makes it seem like nothing:
- Glancing Blow to players head (Ok, well thats usually a high stick)
- No Serious Injury, player was able to continue to play. (Awesome, glad nobody was hurt)
- Not intentional blow to head. (Even better, it wasn't intentional, the player wasn't hurt, sounds like a normal high sticking call we see 3 times a game)
- Players must be in control of their stick. (Agreed, thats why they have 2, 4, and 5 minute high sticking penalties.)

Now does that sound like it warrants 10 games? Im still pretty much dumbfounded on the suspension.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1983 View Post
For high sticking, and I have to say, COMPLETE BS.

Watch the video at http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/ Its right on the front page.

Wait till you see how "bad" it was, terrible, terrible ruling.
And the wussy effect of hockey is now hitting the junior scene. The fact he got 10 games for that is a joke. Dave Brown would just be getting out of jail for what he did back in the early 90's all i can say is wow

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

He'll still score 50 goals.

It happened so fast that it appeared he was falling down and the stick just happened to clip the player.

Apparently the OHL wants to set an example that they're strict with every incident. Is it right? No, but nothing to do now but possibly try to get them to reduce it.

WhipNash27
Quattro!!

IDK, I think the suspension was worthy. The puck was nowhere close, he swung his stick wildly and could have seriously hurt the other player.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

What the ****!? How is that even a game suspension? Get real OHL.

Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:44 PM
Jumbo*

Hey i'm all for long suspension on serious, INTENTION things. But that was completely unintentional.

He was issued a "Match Penalty" and match penalty mean "Intent to Injury". How could anyone way that CT intentionally try to injury that guy?

Old
10-27-2011, 02:45 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
This is absurd. It looked like he was on the ground when his stick hit him.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 12500
What a joke. I understand you need to be in control of your stick, but 10 games for something that wasn't even intentional? Come on.

Net Front Presence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Jumbo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
IDK, I think the suspension was worthy. The puck was nowhere close, he swung his stick wildly and could have seriously hurt the other player.
He was trying to avoid the defenseman and get body position. It was still unintentional.

I could have understood the major, but I still dont understand suspending a guy for a month of hockey for it.

Old
10-27-2011, 02:49 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

He was on the ground, not sure how he's trying to get body position. You can clearly see him lying on the ground then turning and full force swinging his stick into the player's head. Had he hit the player in the front of the head, it could have been much worse. Let alone had something like this happened to a player not wearing some sort of facial protection in a pro league.

Not sure what else can be described by looking at that play. The puck was blocked at the point, so it's not like the puck was nearby and he was trying to deflect it or hit it.

Was it intentional? Probably not. 10 games worth? Maybe not. However, it was a highly dangerous play which could have been much worse in the right conditions.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:51 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Went very fast - but did not seem suspension worthy at all...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Jumbo*

Quote:
He was on the ground, not sure how he's trying to get body position. You can clearly see him lying on the ground then turning and full force swinging his stick into the player's head. Had he hit the player in the front of the head, it could have been much worse. Let alone had something like this happened to a player not wearing some sort of facial protection in a pro league.

Not sure what else can be described by looking at that play. The puck was blocked at the point, so it's not like the puck was nearby and he was trying to deflect it or hit it.

Was it intentional? Probably not. 10 games worth? Maybe not. However, it was a highly dangerous play which could have been much worse in the right conditions.
Oops, i was looking at the wrong player

(feels like jackass)

Old
10-27-2011, 02:58 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Sucks, hurting his chances at the Canadian WJC team, along with his brutal start.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:58 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Terrible suspension. The guy did not even miss the rest of the game.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
im gonna agree with you that it was suspendable...that was a VERY reckless thing to do. but i think 10 games is ridiculous. 3-5 would have been more appropriate

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:02 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

If I'm the Rangers front office, I'm on the phone with the OHL offices ASAP filing a grievance. I can understand maybe a one game suspension, but not only was that not intentional, but now one of our best prospects is missing key developmental time for a marginal incident. Absolutely ridiculous.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:20 PM
eco's bones

Don't know what some others are looking at--but to me that's suspension worthy. Lucky that was just a glancing blow--that player could have been seriously hurt. And I understand that there might be more to the whole episode than that--Thomas down on the ice and all but you have to control your temper at least in regard to what you do with your stick.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I'm fine with it. Could have been really bad had it not been just a glancing blow. Control your stick.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 04:21 PM
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine

Wow and I thought the English rules were strict on this. The IIHF rulebook states 2+2 for an unintentional high stick that draws blood but because of some insurance BS it's a match penalty, which then gets downgraded to a game misconduct after the game if the player returns to the ice.

A match penalty is automatic 1 game suspension but I've never heard of anyone getting more than 1 game for unintentional high sticks

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 10-27-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Looking at it again blown up, there is no way that was unintentional. Looked 100% intentional to me. Stick is swung REALLY fast, too. Disgusting play on Thomas's part. Better never pull that kind of **** in the NHL. I am all for being feisty, mean, etc. But that **** was outright dangerous.

Surprised he could "convince" the league that it was unintentional, even. Did not look it at all to me.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 04:34 PM
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Looking at it again blown up, there is no way that was unintentional. Looked 100% intentional to me. Stick is swung REALLY fast, too. Disgusting play on Thomas's part. Better never pull that kind of **** in the NHL. I am all for being feisty, mean, etc. But that **** was outright dangerous.

Surprised he could "convince" the league that it was unintentional, even. Did not look it at all to me.
I don't think I would agree with you that it's 100% intentional, I'd probably use the word reckless or careless. Yeah it looked pretty bad, it looks like he was just trying to get back on his feet quickly to rejoin the play and just didn't take care to control his stick. Agree with you that it's a dangerous play though, definitely enough to warrant a suspension but I think 10 games is a bit OTT

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 04:41 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I can't watch the video right now, so I can't comment on how fair/unfair the suspension is.

I do wonder how a long suspension like this affects a young player like Thomas. It's a hefty chunk of a very important season for his development. On the other hand, he'd better learn to control his stick if he's going to survive in the pros (AHL or NHL) -- it's not just that the players are better and tougher, the refs are too.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 05:06 PM
eco's bones

The velocity of the stick is kind of a giveaway that there's intent involved. Accident? I don't think so and I'm a Rangers homer. It's not that I don't understand it. **** happens sometimes and depending on temperament some will react instinctively. It's happened to me. You've really clobbered a guy almost before you know you've done it. It doesn't make it right and it can cause a very serious injury. Ten games isn't going to end his career. It's a lesson.

Last edited by eco's bones: 10-27-2011 at 05:12 PM.
eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 05:14 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Looked kind of intentional to me.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 05:21 PM
RyanBozak

Send a message via AIM to RyanBozak
Definitely intentional. It moves quickly, but he's already down on the ice and trying to get up as he's swinging his stick.

RyanBozak is offline   Reply With Quote