HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Virtual Advertising;

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-25-2011, 01:02 PM
  #1
Killion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Westcoast
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,749
vCash: 500
Virtual Advertising;

Sportsnet Pacific (and Im assuming elsewhere?) has embarked upon using/selling virtual ad panels behind the nets on the glass this season, a seriously distracting & crass money maker featuring the likes of BCIT.ca in giant sized white lettering. Compounding matters & making it even worse at Rogers Arena, the Canucks have sold the stairs running up & down the seating areas in the lower bowls to Big White Ski Resort which when combined with the rink boarding & 4 separate center ice advertisers is beyond being an eyeful. MLB's been doing this for awhile behind home plate however in most cases its a lot more discrete, smaller, not quite so distracting. My question; "How much is too much"?...

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:29 PM
  #2
SENSfreak_03
Registered User
 
SENSfreak_03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,969
vCash: 500
Started on sportsnet east last year with the Sens (for Canadian TV, pretty sure it's been in the States for longer), frankly I barely notice and don't care.

Some people IMO are overreacting to them. Watch the ice and not the glass. These networks are looking to make money, people will get used to it.

SENSfreak_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:52 PM
  #3
Hawkscap
Registered User
 
Hawkscap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,545
vCash: 500
CSN Chicago/ WGN have had them for a couple of years now.

Hawkscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 02:02 PM
  #4
TheStinger
Non Omnis Moriar
 
TheStinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Barcelona, Catalunya
Country: Australia
Posts: 5,711
vCash: 500
They tried to do something similar in Australia a few years back during Australian Rules Football games. They wanted to get a section of the crowd and digitally insert an advertising banner over that section. I think it lasted two games before viewers pasted it in their droves. Never saw it again.

TheStinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 02:31 PM
  #5
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey
 
mouser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Mountain
Posts: 15,758
vCash: 500
I just feel bad for the poor people at the game sitting behind the net that can't see through the advertising.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 02:49 PM
  #6
TheStinger
Non Omnis Moriar
 
TheStinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Barcelona, Catalunya
Country: Australia
Posts: 5,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
I just feel bad for the poor people at the game sitting behind the net that can't see through the advertising.
Yeah, they virtually can't see anything.

TheStinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 02:52 PM
  #7
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt
 
Buck Aki Berg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,217
vCash: 500
If there's any advertising that's worth a zillion threads about, it's the ones on the ice.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 03:00 PM
  #8
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 64,770
vCash: 500
IIRC there was a thread on this about 18 months ago. So not that "new". A few of the CSNs seem to have it. (I usually see some during OTF recap)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 11:49 PM
  #9
AllByDesign
Who's this ABD guy??
 
AllByDesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Location, Location!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Sportsnet Pacific (and Im assuming elsewhere?) has embarked upon using/selling virtual ad panels behind the nets on the glass this season, a seriously distracting & crass money maker featuring the likes of BCIT.ca in giant sized white lettering. Compounding matters & making it even worse at Rogers Arena, the Canucks have sold the stairs running up & down the seating areas in the lower bowls to Big White Ski Resort which when combined with the rink boarding & 4 separate center ice advertisers is beyond being an eyeful. MLB's been doing this for awhile behind home plate however in most cases its a lot more discrete, smaller, not quite so distracting. My question; "How much is too much"?...
To address the underlying question, How much is too much?

Probably at the point where Ovechkin while on a breakaway, he stops... turns to the camera while opening a Mr. Big bar and addresses the TV audience.

The virtual ad panels are very effective. You can recall with great clarity who is advertising. That is the end game when it comes to media marketing. Name and Brand recognition. You remember BCIT.ca, yet likely wouldn't be able to recall who had the first commercial after the whistle at the 8 minute mark of the first period. We all live and die by revenue. It makes it very difficult to cast stones.

AllByDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:45 AM
  #10
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 44,608
vCash: 1020
I think it behooves the team (or network, or whoever approves the ad) to have a standard of tastefulness. I don't really care where they place the ads as long as they're subtle and don't distract from the viewing experience. In that respect, whether it's on the glass or the boards or the stairs... whatever... but don't make it a neon-yellow monstrosity.

Places I really don't like seeing ads are on the ice and on the uniforms.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:15 AM
  #11
Huddy*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
been doing it on FS-Detroit for 2 seasons going on the third now....

1-800-Call-Sam

Huddy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:20 AM
  #12
Killion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Westcoast
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllByDesign View Post
The virtual ad panels are very effective.
Yupper, no question about that ABD. It's tremendously effective, like some hideous commercial jingle or piece of music that you cant get it out of your head playing over & over & over, and over again. Cha Cha Chia, Cha Cha Chia. Not only is music the victim in such cases, so are we. If visually we are accepting of such Cultural Atrocities, well, why not just go all out, have yourself strapped into your favorite chair like Young Alex in A Clockwork Orange & submit to the full-on Ludovico Technique?...

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 12:54 PM
  #13
SENSfreak_03
Registered User
 
SENSfreak_03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I think it behooves the team (or network, or whoever approves the ad) to have a standard of tastefulness. I don't really care where they place the ads as long as they're subtle and don't distract from the viewing experience. In that respect, whether it's on the glass or the boards or the stairs... whatever... but don't make it a neon-yellow monstrosity.

Places I really don't like seeing ads are on the ice and on the uniforms.
outside of the 4 that already exist in NHL rinks, and have been there for ever?

You mean like the European leagues where there is no white ice. (hyperbole)

SENSfreak_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 02:40 PM
  #14
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 44,608
vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by SENSfreak_03 View Post
outside of the 4 that already exist in NHL rinks, and have been there for ever?

You mean like the European leagues where there is no white ice. (hyperbole)
This is the RBC Center ice design:



They always seem to have something in that "Thank You Fans!" spot. Right now it's an "NHL Faceoff 2011" logo, last year it was something All Star related. Plus the four standard ads, plus the writing around the center faceoff circle.

To me, that's just an unnecessary amount of crap on the ice. It detracts from the appearance of the rink.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 03:39 PM
  #15
Killion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Westcoast
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Whale View Post
1-800-Call-Sam
Bailbondsman?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
To me, that's just an unnecessary amount of crap on the ice. It detracts from the appearance of the rink.
Couldnt agree more. And of course they just have to use the sponsors PMT's. A riot of non-complimentary colors which at speed creates a kaleidoscopic effect, activating psychotropic's in the viewers neural brain stems the likes of which I havent seen since about 1976 or so. Combined with the virtuals behind the net, well, their really messing with our heads Man.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 04:03 PM
  #16
Fehr Time*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Bailbondsman?...
Personal injury lawyer I believe. Jim 'The Hammer' Shapiro should partner up with the league too.

Fehr Time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 04:38 PM
  #17
Killion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Westcoast
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehr Time View Post
Personal injury lawyer I believe. Jim 'The Hammer' Shapiro should partner up with the league too.
Ya. Thats a good one. Brainiac sends a letter of solicition to a guy who was in the hospital comatose'...

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 04:47 PM
  #18
Vomiting Kermit*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
This is the RBC Center ice design:



They always seem to have something in that "Thank You Fans!" spot. Right now it's an "NHL Faceoff 2011" logo, last year it was something All Star related. Plus the four standard ads, plus the writing around the center faceoff circle.

To me, that's just an unnecessary amount of crap on the ice. It detracts from the appearance of the rink.
I gotta say, I'm not a fan of that sand coloured box with "RBC Center" written on it. Seems a bit excessive.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:27 PM
  #19
AllByDesign
Who's this ABD guy??
 
AllByDesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Location, Location!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion;38501823 why not just go all out, have yourself strapped into your favorite chair like[I
Young Alex[/I] in A Clockwork Orange & submit to the full-on Ludovico Technique?...
Ahhhh... so you have seen my new recliner...

AllByDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:44 PM
  #20
Killion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Westcoast
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllByDesign View Post
Ahhhh... so you have seen my new recliner...
Nice job using the quote function ABD.
Best be getting the Mrs. to apply the eyedropper poppers.
Or was this sent from the Korova Milky Bar on a Blackberry Tablet?...

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:08 PM
  #21
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt
 
Buck Aki Berg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SENSfreak_03 View Post
outside of the 4 that already exist in NHL rinks, and have been there for ever?
I was referring to those with my post. Of course here at HF, if it was like that in 1991, then that's the way it's "supposed to be"

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:12 PM
  #22
larma
Registered User
 
larma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Personally I hate it. It bothers me more than any ice ads. It's bright and slightly hovers around thus distracting my focus from the puck.

larma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:23 PM
  #23
Killion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Westcoast
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by larma View Post
Personally I hate it. It bothers me more than any ice ads. It's bright and slightly hovers around thus distracting my focus from the puck.
I agree, and Im not watching it. See ya Sportsnet. CBC hasnt done it yet but if & when they do, I wont be watching their broadcasts either.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.