HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Regier's patience pays off?

View Poll Results: Has Regier's patience paid off?
Yes, he was smart to hang onto Biron 11 28.21%
No, he should have dealt him and taken our chances with Noronen 28 71.79%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2005, 04:17 PM
Kruschiki

vCash: 50
Regier's patience pays off?

So he hung onto Biron for an insurance policy and now Miller is out 4 to 6 weeks. We're all still smarting after that Ottawa smack-down, but that aside, do you think that Regier's patience has payed off in that we are better off still with Biron?

Old
11-03-2005, 04:29 PM
Fan-of-#9

vCash: 500
I think time will tell, it's too early to say.

At this very moment he looks like an absolute fool. He was offered a 2nd round pick for Noronen and declined it. He has showcased Biron twice and Marty has basically seen his stock take a nose dive based on those 2 performances. And Noronen's 2nd period last night was just awful, who would want him now? In terms of trade value, both have hit rock bottom.

With the injury to Miller, I'm glad we have Marty. He's the only guy we have that has proven he CAN win games. Mika may be able to do the same, but at this point it would be an assumption, he's never done it before. He may get another chance.

I'm not going to vote. If Marty or Mika play well and help maintain our position in the standings while Miller recovers, then Regier will look mighty good. IF both go bust, and our team sinks out of contention, then obviously Regier will look like a complete moron and I'd expect his job to be in jeopardy. Time will tell.

As everyone knows, I believe in Marty's abilities and I hope he can come through for the team during this stretch. I'm sure he realizes the importance of this opportunity he will get, not just for the team, but for his future as a netminder.

I'm not worried...yet.

Old
11-03-2005, 04:37 PM
zbubble

Why is Regier a fool for turning down a second for Mika?

I wouldn't have done it either. He's a former first rounder that the Sabres have spent time and money on developing. A second rounder means nothing - this isn't the NFL. It could be a good player, but it could also be a bust. We don't exactly have the best draft record. For every Roy there's a Dicaire or Dutiaume. Noronen's cheap. At least get a promising prospect for him, or don't bother trading him.

You also say if Marty and Mika do no good, you would expect his (DR's) job to be in jeopardy?

What makes you think that? Do you think he would look better with Biron/Leighton or Noronen/Leighton, regardless of how they play? You really think that not taking a second rounder for Mika will sack a GM? Especially since Golisano and Quinn gush over DR at every opportunity?

I'm sorry, but it'll take a *lot* more than that.

Old
11-03-2005, 04:50 PM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
It's obviously good that he held onto both at this point. Hopefully one of them will use this opportunity to increase their trade value.

Old
11-03-2005, 05:15 PM
Crazy Tasty

After last night's performance for half the NHL (in person), their stock can only go up.

Old
11-03-2005, 06:08 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble
Why is Regier a fool for turning down a second for Mika?

I wouldn't have done it either. He's a former first rounder that the Sabres have spent time and money on developing. A second rounder means nothing - this isn't the NFL. It could be a good player, but it could also be a bust. We don't exactly have the best draft record. For every Roy there's a Dicaire or Dutiaume. Noronen's cheap. At least get a promising prospect for him, or don't bother trading him.

You also say if Marty and Mika do no good, you would expect his (DR's) job to be in jeopardy?

What makes you think that? Do you think he would look better with Biron/Leighton or Noronen/Leighton, regardless of how they play? You really think that not taking a second rounder for Mika will sack a GM? Especially since Golisano and Quinn gush over DR at every opportunity?

I'm sorry, but it'll take a *lot* more than that.

A 2nd rounder for Noronen would have been an excellent grab. Whether that pick was used in a future trade or used to select a player, it is what it is, a pretty valuable asset. Trust me I wanted him to hold out for more too, but the way things have gone, I can only look back and wish that we had that 2nd round pick now.

Old
11-03-2005, 06:19 PM
jpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9
A 2nd rounder for Noronen would have been an excellent grab. Whether that pick was used in a future trade or used to select a player, it is what it is, a pretty valuable asset. Trust me I wanted him to hold out for more too, but the way things have gone, I can only look back and wish that we had that 2nd round pick now.
If it would have shipped Noronen out west, then yeah, it would have been a smart deal. I have no qualms with Regier declining to send Noronen to an eastern team for a 2nd round pick. Mika has the tools, and if he went Kipper for an eastern team that 2nd round pick looks weak and you've got someone else to deal with 4-6 times a season plus the playoffs.

Old
11-03-2005, 09:06 PM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

I am also not voting. I don't see it as Regier's 'patience' -- I see it as Regier's reticence. Being paralyzed by the fear of making the wrong move is not the same as waiting for the right move, even if the end results are the same. Are we better off because of it -- probably this time, but in my book, it's dangerous to mistake blundering towards a goal for actual decisive leadership.

Old
11-03-2005, 10:13 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by signaliinoise

I am also not voting. I don't see it as Regier's 'patience' -- I see it as Regier's reticence. Being paralyzed by the fear of making the wrong move is not the same as waiting for the right move, even if the end results are the same. Are we better off because of it -- probably this time, but in my book, it's dangerous to mistake blundering towards a goal for actual decisive leadership.
I think it was their plan all along to hang onto Biron. As a matter of fact, I didn't expect to see him go anywhere in 2005, there's too much at stake. Golisano wants to see a winner, and that is the ultimatum.

I'm also shocked at the responses thinking that we'd be in better shape right now with Noronen and whatever AHL callup there is. If you think Biron is shaking off rust, I'd hate to see what this crowd had to say looking at Mika as the #1 for 6 weeks. You think Atlanta has goaltending problems...

Old
11-03-2005, 10:43 PM
Moon Man*

I wouldn't say "pays off" is the correct term. If either Biron or Noronen were shipped out before now, I wouldn't think the Sabres would be that much worse off.

Noronen put up good numbers overseas last year, and I think he could translate that to some good showings in the NHL... unless his ostracism from the team during the past month wore him down mentally.

Biron has the confidence going for him, but as has been repeated too often, his work ethic always seems to lead to a poor start. He got the goods, but never seems to work at it from what I hear.

just some ramblings frrom the edge of the world.

Old
11-03-2005, 11:32 PM
slip

Zbub is right on about why trading Mike for a 2nd might not necessarily be in the team's best interest. But aside from gaining adequate compensation in any trade, there is another aspect to this, which is the cluster**** in between the pipes, which is hurting everybody. I think Noronen hasn't been given a chance; Biron has, for 3 years, and has let us down each time. It's his days that are numbered. With attendance as low as it is, shaving a couple of million off the books without really hurting your team has to appeal to a money conscious organization like Buffalo. Which is why Noronen wasn't traded in the first place, I think.

Old
11-04-2005, 05:17 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Let's not let Darcy off the hook because the team had something unfortunate happen. Miller broke his hand in a freak practice play. Would we really be worse off if we had one of Noronen/Biron starting and Leighton backing up for 6 or so weeks? I suppose that would depend on whether or not we picked the right one of the two.

We should have traded a goalie long ago and this doesn't change anything IMO.

Old
11-04-2005, 07:09 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon
Let's not let Darcy off the hook because the team had something unfortunate happen. Miller broke his hand in a freak practice play. Would we really be worse off if we had one of Noronen/Biron starting and Leighton backing up for 6 or so weeks? I suppose that would depend on whether or not we picked the right one of the two.

As they say on the WoW boards.... QFT (Quoted for Truth).

Ta,

Old
11-04-2005, 08:21 AM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon

21 vs. 9 people think that this team would be better off if Biron were gone; that's just amazing. It's so obvious to me that Noronen is not a starter here, period. Every chance he gets he blows, whether that's being thrown in for one preseason game, or else being thrown to the wolves in the Ottawa game. One BIG save Mika, that's all anyone wants to see. Instead he flails and doesn't make the easy save. He's utterly unprepared. At some point, we need to stop making excuses for him.

Everything Regier has said and done indicates that he had no intention of trading Biron until possibly recently, and that the only serious bids he got for Noronen were from Atlanta. I think that most people here that think that Noronen is not going to win the job in bflo also don't think he's a bad goalie, and that he could prosper under different circumstances. That's enough of an argument to not trade him in the conference.

So many people here are letting their frustration with 3 goalies cloud their judgment, makes me glad that Regier doesn't bow to popular sentiment.

Ladies and gentlemen, Miller is out and we have possibly the "best goaltender available" in the league in Biron, and the fact that he's on the roster is NOT dumb luck.

Old
11-05-2005, 06:42 AM
Kruschiki

bump

Old
11-05-2005, 07:13 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj@jj.com
21 vs. 9 people think that this team would be better off if Biron were gone; that's just amazing. It's so obvious to me that Noronen is not a starter here, period. Every chance he gets he blows, whether that's being thrown in for one preseason game, or else being thrown to the wolves in the Ottawa game. One BIG save Mika, that's all anyone wants to see. Instead he flails and doesn't make the easy save. He's utterly unprepared. At some point, we need to stop making excuses for him.
I don't mean to defend Mika, but pretty much everything you said about him there can be said about Miller.He's only a year older than him.

Miller, however, has been solid, if not exactly awesome, this season.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm good with Biron in goal til Miller comes back. And if Biron manages to keep this team above .500 by then, he has a fair shot of keeping the #1 tag for the rest of the season, IMO.

Old
11-05-2005, 07:36 AM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto
I don't mean to defend Mika, but pretty much everything you said about him there can be said about Miller.He's only a year older than him.
Miller hasn't made a big save? He fails every shot he's given?

How does what I said apply to Miller? Did you mean Biron? Biron has shown that he can win in the NHL, Noronen has not.

Closed Thread