HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Scott Gomez for Brian Rolston

Old
10-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Symon Asher

vCash: 500
Scott Gomez for Brian Rolston

I think the Isles need more speed at center . Gomez I believe still has some gas left in the tank and can be a 2c . I know he has been bad the last couple of years in Montreal and a change of scenery should help. Montreal I am sure wants to unload him as they spend to the cap.

Rolston on the other hand looks like his career is done. Montreal can plant him in the minors for one year and be done with him. The Isles get Gomez for this year and the next 2 years (at 7m+)till Strome is ready. At the very least his salary should help us get to the cap floor in future years.

Bailey can move to left wing and Nielson can be The Isles 3c where he is more suited.

Symon Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:27 PM
Noreaster96

No thanks... Better, cheaper options out there I'm sure

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:36 PM
Words Of Wisdom

Not worth it all. Please close this thread. Gomez is not Worth that money

Words Of Wisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:45 PM
El Big Cubano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavares 91 4eva View Post
Not worth it all. Please close this thread. Gomez is not Worth that money
Rolston isn't worth his either, just saying. But yeah, do not want Gomez.

El Big Cubano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Noreaster96

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Big Cubano View Post
Rolston isn't worth his either, just saying. But yeah, do not want Gomez.
Yeah, but overall he was pretty much the same cost as Hunter who we shipped off for him... Gomez is MUCH more expensive than Hunter and Rolston combined throughout the current lengths of all their respective contracts

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:56 PM
El Big Cubano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster96 View Post
Yeah, but overall he was pretty much the same cost as Hunter who we shipped off for him... Gomez is MUCH more expensive than Hunter and Rolston combined throughout the current lengths of all their respective contracts
Very true, how many years does Gomez have left on his deal, anyway? He's been pretty awful this year for Montreal, he's definitely not the player he was 6 years ago. And hypothetically speaking, if we did acquire him who would he even play with? Thankfully we don't have to worry about that..

El Big Cubano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 02:00 PM
Hipster Doofus

Gomez is a shell of his former self. Not what we need. At least Rolston is gone next year.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 02:23 PM
redbull
Expect more

both teams say no.

Montreal isn't looking to dump players, they plan on winning games, making the playoffs. Replacing Gomez with Rolston only HURTS their chances. Even if they just buy him out, they still can't replace Gomez ON THE ICE, even though they save cap space.

Cap space is USELESS unless you USE IT. (see the NYI)

Also, Gomez has a no-trade.

The part that makes this SNOWppealing (or is it WANGppealing)? is that Gomez' cap hit is $7.3, 7.3, 7.3 for the next three - but his SALARY is less (7.5, 5.5, 4.5). So Wang saves money relative to the cap hit. He'll be able to reach the cap floor with minimal cash outflow.....but that assumes Gomez is even worth the 5.5 and 4.5 money (which he isn't IMO)

But for those who proclaim (BUT THEY WON'T SIGN HERE) - well, Gomez is an example of the TYPE of deal Snow would have to make to get the team BETTER, TODAY.

I like the idea....don't like the fit with Gomez specifically, on either side.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:37 PM
francklem

i would drive Gomez to NY for that deal , just to give Desharnais more ice time .

I was a Gomez fan when he was in Buffalo cant stand him in Montreal and it s not because of the salary , he just don t seem to care at all about hockey.

Sorry for my english ..

francklem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:56 PM
xECK29x

No...just no

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Hipster Doofus

Gomez scored 7 goals last year his last coming in february or some ****. dude forces passes and is not good. Montreal trades him for anything at this point.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:38 PM
JKP

Had lunch with a Habs friend of mine earlier this week. He used a lot of words that turn into **s here when talking about Gomez, his big dollar contract and the fact that his team is stuck with both for another 3 years.

In summary: NO!

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 05:06 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Gomez scored 7 goals last year his last coming in february or some ****. dude forces passes and is not good. Montreal trades him for anything at this point.
Gomez for DP?

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 05:44 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symon Asher View Post
I think the Isles need more speed at center . Gomez I believe still has some gas left in the tank and can be a 2c . I know he has been bad the last couple of years in Montreal and a change of scenery should help. Montreal I am sure wants to unload him as they spend to the cap.

Rolston on the other hand looks like his career is done. Montreal can plant him in the minors for one year and be done with him. The Isles get Gomez for this year and the next 2 years (at 7m+)till Strome is ready. At the very least his salary should help us get to the cap floor in future years.

Bailey can move to left wing and Nielson can be The Isles 3c where he is more suited.
Yeah, it's about time the Islanders had a ridiculous contract on their hands.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 05:54 PM
Hip Of Rick

Awful, if we wanted a overpaid player for free we should have went for Campbell. Campbell is better than or on par with Erhoff. I have no clue why we didn't try to go for him. I know he has a NTC but we would have heard about it if he declined.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:10 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Speaking of Rolston, man is he done or what?

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:46 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

In all seriousness, I wonder if the teams would be up to the following...

To MON:
Rolston, Bailey, Wishart

To NYI:
Gomez, Eller, Weber

Whereas I believe the Isles would be getting the slighhhhhtly better end of things from an on-ice player standpoint, getting rid of that Gomez contract may just get it done from Montreal's viewpoint. In addition, Montreal may feel Bailey ultimately has more upside than Eller (a feeling I share). On the other hand, it'd be fairly interesting project from a locker room standpoint if the Isles were to add players who not only should be able to help immediately, but also add more Danish and Swiss components to the team.

I make this suggestion feeling Gomez has truly about the worst contract in hockey. Still, I somehow think the guy has a certain skill element that is missing here and could be made use of. He's also VERY familiar with the area.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:27 AM
Aucoin3

No, this is one of the most insane things I have ever seen suggested on these boards.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:37 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symon Asher View Post

http://http://youtu.be/31g0YE61PLQ

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:33 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post

To MON:
Rolston, Bailey, Wishart

To NYI:
Gomez, Eller, Weber

Whereas I believe the Isles would be getting the slighhhhhtly better end of things from an on-ice player standpoint, getting rid of that Gomez contract may just get it done from Montreal's viewpoint. In addition, Montreal may feel Bailey ultimately has more upside than Eller (a feeling I share). On the other hand, it'd be fairly interesting project from a locker room standpoint if the Isles were to add players who not only should be able to help immediately, but also add more Danish and Swiss components to the team.

I make this suggestion feeling Gomez has truly about the worst contract in hockey. Still, I somehow think the guy has a certain skill element that is missing here and could be made use of. He's also VERY familiar with the area.
are you ****ing crazy. Montreal would never get ripped off like that. Even if it means someone taking Gomez away.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 01:12 PM
VT Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post

To MON:
Rolston, Bailey, Wishart

To NYI:
Gomez, Eller, Weber

Habs would never do this deal, because what they're projecting for Eller, and the fact that he was the main player they got back from St. Louis for Halak.

VT Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 01:33 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

At least Rolston is gone by the end of the year. We'd be stuck with Gomez for a while after.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Isles Fan View Post
Habs would never do this deal, because what they're projecting for Eller, and the fact that he was the main player they got back from St. Louis for Halak.
Understandable that the fans and the club are high on Eller.

Then again, do the Habs project Eller to ever be as good as Plekanec? Because that is EXACTLY the type of player Islanderville has been projecting Bailey to be at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
are you ****ing crazy. Montreal would never get ripped off like that. Even if it means someone taking Gomez away.
Ripped off like that?

Hmmmm. You do realize that both Bailey and Wishart were higher draft picks than either Eller or Weber?

Whereas that doesn't have to mean much in the grand scheme of things, Bailey certainly has the best track record to date with every reason to believe that he'll have a very solid and perhaps later, spectacular career.

We're just worried about this ever happening on the Island, where he just doesn't seem to be responding after a strange contract dual this summer.

In addition, everything to this point in time has indicated that Bailey will be the best player of the four. I do believe though that Weber would simply fit the Isles' needs much better at this point than Wishart, who had a decent debut to end last season, but who has not adjusted well to having been a cut in camp. He could complement Streit pretty well. Eller I could see doing some nice things on a team with Nielsen, possibly even on a line with him.

I'd have to think that if this deal were on the table, Gauthier would consider it LONG AND HARD. The opportunity to erase 9 million in salary (- Gomez's 14 mil., + Rolston's 5 mil.) over this and next season plus get back very promising young players in return might be too much for him to turn down.

Old
11-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Felt like bumping this thread...

If I'm Snow and get Wang's blessing, I call Gauthier and see if he'd take Rolston & Eaton for Gomez, Weber and Palushaj.

A 'yes' would be all about getting rid of Gomez' contract, but still... Getting Weber and Palushaj would be our benefit from this.

I'd then see if Anaheim would consider sending over Sbisa + Palmieri for Okposo + Wishart.

Lastly, I'd see if a Comeau+Bailey gets us Paarjarvi+Gagner.

Old
11-07-2011, 10:40 PM
TheBoss22

I'd rather trade Rolston for Yashin!!

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote