HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Over/Under until Bobrovsky is the starter?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-27-2011, 12:54 PM
  #51
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
I used to come on here for some good hockey talk, or to get info on what was going on with the team. Now, it seems to be getting more and more like sports talk radio.
Nominee for Post of the Year

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:54 PM
  #52
goodrev
Registered User
 
goodrev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 367
vCash: 500
how i feel about this thread

This is how I feel about this conversation...

Robert Luongo currently 3.46 GAA, and a .868 save %. think he is going to lose his job to schneider? think again, he is locked up for 9 more years.

hey guess what... due to genius ingenuity Homer signed bryz to a 9 year deal. There is a 0% chance that Bryz loses his starting job over the first 5 years unless he is absolutely horrendous. Then we would have to dump him and multiple first round picks just to get someone to take his salary.

Like it or not, we are pot committed to Bryzgalov and he is going to be the guy going foward.

period.

goodrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:14 PM
  #53
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Nominee for Post of the Year
Is there a thread on the main board for that..would be cool but a nightmare trying to manage it and judge it....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:07 PM
  #54
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,984
vCash: 500
Schneider is outplaying Luongo and Halak is being thoroughly outplayed by Elliot in St. Louis. Both of these guys are being used as motivational tools for their higher paid teammates, and just like Bob will be back ups come April when it really counts.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:11 PM
  #55
Protest
C`est La Vie
 
Protest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deptford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yeah, he was left out to dry by the D...but at the same time he's supposed to be the kind of goalie who can carry the team to give them a chance to win. Haven't seen that so far, and it's something he needs to start doing soon. The team needs to find its identity and having absolute confidence in their goaltender can go a long way. That being said, this is a cold streak...it happens. Even the mighty Lundqvist and Miller have less than stellar stretches. However, it needs to end ASAP.
This is the thing that worries me. Yes the D has not been stellar, but you brought in this guy under the presumption that they didn't have to be stellar for him. At this point the results look no different than that of Biron or Bob. He hasn't been handling the broken plays or defensive lapses well at all. However, you still can't really draw any conclusions from this few an amount of games.

Honestly, if this were in the middle of the year and we had seen him win games by himself earlier, we would just be calling this a slump. I think his play is only worrisome because we haven't seen that other side to him yet, and right now he just reminds us of everything that's come before him.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:18 PM
  #56
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
This is the thing that worries me. Yes the D has not been stellar, but you brought in this guy under the presumption that they didn't have to be stellar for him. At this point the results look no different than that of Biron or Bob. He hasn't been handling the broken plays or defensive lapses well at all. However, you still can't really draw any conclusions from this few an amount of games.
No there is a complete difference between the defense playing stellar and the defense playing at all.

People don't seem to understand that a good goaltender still requires his defense to actually turn up. The flyers have been absolutely pathetic infront of bryzgalov. In one of the goals against MTL, he was actually defending against two players while the entire team stood and watched. It was nothing short of unbelievable. The rest of the goals have generally been horrifically unlucky bounces.

Sure he's let up 1 or 2 soft goals, but that generally happens when the rest of the team doesn't care either.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:23 PM
  #57
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,643
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Honestly, if this were in the middle of the year and we had seen him win games by himself earlier, we would just be calling this a slump. I think his play is only worrisome because we haven't seen that other side to him yet, and right now he just reminds us of everything that's come before him.
Yeah, that's a good point.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 04:01 PM
  #58
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
I used to come on here for some good hockey talk, or to get info on what was going on with the team. Now, it seems to be getting more and more like sports talk radio.
The opening weeks have been a bit silly. Those who didn't expect this young team, with lots of new guys in key positions, to be a bit up and down this season... I don't know. I'm mostly enjoying the ride this year, hopefully we'll get hot in time for the playoffs.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 04:33 PM
  #59
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
This is the thing that worries me. Yes the D has not been stellar, but you brought in this guy under the presumption that they didn't have to be stellar for him. At this point the results look no different than that of Biron or Bob. He hasn't been handling the broken plays or defensive lapses well at all. However, you still can't really draw any conclusions from this few an amount of games.

Honestly, if this were in the middle of the year and we had seen him win games by himself earlier, we would just be calling this a slump. I think his play is only worrisome because we haven't seen that other side to him yet, and right now he just reminds us of everything that's come before him.
agreed, and well said..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 04:54 PM
  #60
cheesesteak
Registered User
 
cheesesteak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,021
vCash: 500
My over/under is over 400 games.

cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 07:14 PM
  #61
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 12,788
vCash: 500
So we can put this thread to bed now?

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:49 PM
  #62
Pandl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 26
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
So we can put this thread to bed now?
What?

Bobrovsky save % .667
Bryzgalov save % .600


Bryzgalov also let in a terrible, terrible Leighton-esque goal. Again, this thread might seem weird now. But wait until mid-season and then bump it. I am right.

Pandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:10 PM
  #63
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,531
vCash: 500
Leighton is the answer.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:10 PM
  #64
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandl View Post
What?

Bobrovsky save % .667
Bryzgalov save % .600


Bryzgalov also let in a terrible, terrible Leighton-esque goal. Again, this thread might seem weird now. But wait until mid-season and then bump it. I am right.
It doesn't matter who is in goal. If the team defense doesn't shore up then this will be a terrible season. For some reason i have feelings of 2006.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:16 PM
  #65
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
It doesn't matter who is in goal. If the team defense doesn't shore up then this will be a terrible season. For some reason i have feelings of 2006.
We're past the 6 game point of firing the coach and having the GM dump the job in someone else's lap.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:22 PM
  #66
Czech Your Math
Registered User
 
Czech Your Math's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: bohemia
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,391
vCash: 50
Can someone confirm that there was actually a goaltender and defensemen on ice for Flyers, and not holographic images?

Could have saved a lot of cap space by making some plywood cutouts for these guys. Should have roughly same chance of making clutch saves, handling the puck, etc. and less chance of dumb penalties.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:30 PM
  #67
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Leighton is the answer.
Bacachihuahua won't have to clear recall waivers. He's the simple answer, really.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:33 AM
  #68
MrHockey1982
Registered User
 
MrHockey1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandl View Post
What?

Bobrovsky save % .667
Bryzgalov save % .600


Bryzgalov also let in a terrible, terrible Leighton-esque goal. Again, this thread might seem weird now. But wait until mid-season and then bump it. I am right.

I'm not entirely sure yet, but this may be the worst use of statistical analysis in the history of stats.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:53 AM
  #69
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Bacachihuahua won't have to clear recall waivers. He's the simple answer, really.
You mean the guy with a 3.62 GAA in the AHL? Well, you certainly wouldn't have to worry about anyone claiming him, that's for sure.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:02 AM
  #70
G Money
Registered User
 
G Money's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 292
vCash: 500
10 games in boys calm down plz

G Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:26 AM
  #71
kimmofan44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: thorndale pa
Country: United States
Posts: 1,457
vCash: 500
bob will never be the starter over bryzgolov, the flyers aren't going to carry a 51 million dollar back up. its bad enough they have one that makes as much as bob already. despite what we've seen from bryz this year he is an excellent goalie, he has more wins and shut outs n the last 2 years than any other goaltender in the league. i've watched him in pheonix(besides khabibulin he's my favorite goalie) and i can tell you, when he gets through this rough patch everyone will be getting in line for a bryz jersey!! just sticking up for my boy! lets go flyers!

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:10 AM
  #72
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmofan44 View Post
bob will never be the starter over bryzgolov, the flyers aren't going to carry a 51 million dollar back up. its bad enough they have one that makes as much as bob already. despite what we've seen from bryz this year he is an excellent goalie, he has more wins and shut outs n the last 2 years than any other goaltender in the league. i've watched him in pheonix(besides khabibulin he's my favorite goalie) and i can tell you, when he gets through this rough patch everyone will be getting in line for a bryz jersey!! just sticking up for my boy! lets go flyers!
The Flyers will play whoever the better goalie is that put them in the best position to win games.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:20 AM
  #73
MrHockey1982
Registered User
 
MrHockey1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
The Flyers will play whoever the better goalie is that put them in the best position to win games.

Yes until Snider gets upset about paying Bryz so much money and they decide they have to play him.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:32 AM
  #74
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
Yes until Snider gets upset about paying Bryz so much money and they decide they have to play him.
Completely disagree with what you are saying here. Mr. Snider wants to win a Stanley Cup and I honestly don't think he would care who is on his roster to do so (just the fact that he has 2 Russians in net proves that to me).

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:20 AM
  #75
MrHockey1982
Registered User
 
MrHockey1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Completely disagree with what you are saying here. Mr. Snider wants to win a Stanley Cup and I honestly don't think he would care who is on his roster to do so (just the fact that he has 2 Russians in net proves that to me).

LOL well he's paying Bryzgalov $10 million this season and Bob makes $900,000 plus bonuses. You don't see a problem with that??? I'm sure Mr. Snider would be upset if a goalie making $9 million more is not starting in the playoffs. Even if you think that Mr. Snider wants a Stanley Cup that badly, and I agree that he does, money always has and always will play a role on how much players are playing. I don't believe in unconditional persuit of the cup by a GM.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.