HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Laviolette 's system maybe not the right system for this young group.

Old
10-27-2011, 09:11 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

vCash: 500
Laviolette 's system maybe not the right system for this young group.

I'm beginning to think Lavy's system is not the right one for this team with so may young guys we need a change i think......

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:18 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

I see no problems with his offensive/forechecking system, they've been creating good chances in most games. Defensively, I think teams have adjusted to just create traffic and fire from the point. Against NJ when Bryz got his SHO, we kept all of NJ's shots to the outside against the boards, and had clean blocks on a ton of other shots. They need to get back to that.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Damaged Goods

Care to provide any reason for that besides the fact you are upset with recent results?

It's the "right system" when they win 3 and of 4 and the "wrong system" when they lose 4 out of 5... that doesn't wreak of a well-thought-out argument.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I see no problems with his offensive/forechecking system, they've been creating good chances in most games. Defensively, I think teams have adjusted to just create traffic and fire from the point. Against NJ when Bryz got his SHO, we kept all of NJ's shots to the outside against the boards, and had clean blocks on a ton of other shots. They need to get back to that.
All you see is traffic in front of the net. Soft little wrist shot and the puck deflects in. Its frustrating that they can't box out defenders that try to stand in front of the net.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:24 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
All you see is traffic in front of the net. Soft little wrist shot and the puck deflects in. Its frustrating that they can't box out defenders that try to stand in front of the net.

I don't think letting opposing forwards crowd around our crease uncontested is really part of the "system" here.

At least I don't remember that being part of the game-plan when they made the SCF run, or when they were the best team in the East for the first 2/3rds of last year.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:25 PM
Jack de la Hoya

At the moment, we are leading the league in goals scored and last in goals against.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:34 PM
Broad st phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
At the moment, we are leading the league in goals scored and last in goals against.

lol, so horrible.

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:34 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:39 PM
Haute Couturier

I think it may not be the right system for the goalie.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:41 PM
LePalle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Ottawa is last in goals against still. So we're not quite there yet.

LePalle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:41 PM
SgtJoseph

I am not worried ! The younger kids will have their growing pains learning, have their ups and downs, good games and bad games etc.....Its all part of building a team, character, responsibility, etc.....It will start coming together as we go along.....And having said that, our older folks are struggling as well....It will start getting better, just will have to be a little patient and let them settle down and play..Our D is struggling for sure, but veterans will start stepping up soon enough...Same with the goal tending. The NHL is a tough gig, and there are no easy games, especially with the Parity that salary caps tend to enforce.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:43 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
I'm beginning to think Lavy's system is not the right one for this team with so may young guys we need a change i think......
What system?

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton 22 View Post
Ottawa is last in goals against still. So we're not quite there yet.
Ah--missed that.

We've got our eyes on the prize though.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:09 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I'm just going to say I have and have had my concerns with Lavy.....he's been accommodated with a team that is supposed to buy into him and his system. Management went the extra mile to extend his shelf life. While the team has their responsibility...I'm seeing some miscalcs on his part that has me a bit concerned. Again...while it's still early and he's a capable coach for the most part... I want to see more from him as much as I want to see more from the team...

This team should at least make a run for the playoffs and get in....it's a transition year and I don't expect a cup. However, I do expect to see more of an honest effort night in and night out. We can lose...but it's how we lose that ultimately matters. Right now there is a total lack of confidence on the team and for the #1 goalie to say he has no confidence in himself right now is pretty disconcerting.....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:41 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
The Flyers have no support system of defensive forwards. They're relying on two rookies on their 3rd line, one of them 18-years old, and our 4th line has two slugs on it.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:50 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
The Flyers have no support system of defensive forwards. They're relying on two rookies on their 3rd line, one of them 18-years old, and our 4th line has two slugs on it.
This is what I don't get. Apparently an 18 year old is so important to our PK that they prefer to waste a year of his ELC, but then they choose to dress these worthless slugs over a defensive forward/PKer in Nodl. They make some mind bogglingly stupid decisions.

Old
10-27-2011, 10:51 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
This is what I don't get. Apparently an 18 year old is so important to our PK that they prefer to waste a year of his ELC, but then they choose to dress these worthless slugs over a defensive forward/PKer in Nodl. They make some mind bogglingly stupid decisions.
If Nodl is sitting he better be broken.

10-27-2011, 11:04 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

What are you guys talking about? Shelley and Rinaldo are lightyears ahead of Nodl defensively.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:09 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
What are you guys talking about? Shelley and Rinaldo are lightyears ahead of Nodl defensively.
I would rather do a line of glass dust and asbestos than watch Shelley plan anymore. I really can't take him anymore. We're lucky if he can make it to the damned red line so he can dump the puck away without icing it, and then sluggle his way off the ice.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:21 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I would rather do a line of glass dust and asbestos than watch Shelley plan anymore. I really can't take him anymore. We're lucky if he can make it to the damned red line so he can dump the puck away without icing it, and then sluggle his way off the ice.
Yeah this is absurd. Keep Rinaldo in the game if you absolutely have to. At least he's fast enough to keep put pressure on opposing teams in all zones.

However, it is irresponsible to dress Shelley over Nodl. You have Nodl taking away some of Giroux's PK time in this game and maybe that's just enough to get a different outcome.

I'm dead serious right now. The problem is not system based. We're witnessing the perfect storm coupled with mismanagement. It'll straighten itself out, but even when it does, there is no reason for Shelley to be on the ice any given night.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Yeah this is absurd. Keep Rinaldo in the game if you absolutely have to. At least he's fast enough to keep put pressure on opposing teams in all zones.

However, it is irresponsible to dress Shelley over Nodl. You have Nodl taking away some of Giroux's PK time in this game and maybe that's just enough to get a different outcome.

I'm dead serious right now. The problem is not system based. We're witnessing the perfect storm coupled with mismanagement. It'll straighten itself out, but even when it does, there is no reason for Shelley to be on the ice any given night.
Holmgren has to justify that contract somehow. At some point Snider or someone in Comcast-Spectacor is going to wake up and question Holmgren on his money mismanagement if they haven't already.

Old
10-27-2011, 11:32 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Holmgren has to justify that contract somehow. At some point Snider or someone in Comcast-Spectacor is going to wake up and question Holmgren on his money mismanagement if they haven't already.
We have the rest of this year and next at 1.1 million dollars worth of cap hit.

MILLION.

Dollars.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:49 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Bring back Thoresen.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:54 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Richards/Carter didn't buy into Lavy's system and they ended up shipping them out. I am sure they will give him time to try and turn things around. That Boston coach schooled him last year though

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:58 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
What system?
Is that a reference towards Stevens???? I believe so!

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote