General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Multi-National Superleagues

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2005, 05:41 PM
RingWraith

vCash: 500
Multi-National Superleagues

What are your thoughts on the concept of "Multi-National Superleagues?" I'm talking about elite professional sports leagues with teams based in many multiple countries. I'm not talking about the NHL here. I'm talking about a potential aspect of the sporting future that does not really exist yet. Or at least not with a North American flavour. The potential I am referring to is, for example, a pro hockey league that spanned Canada, the United States, Russia, Sweden, the Czech Republic, Finland, Germany, etc.

If the NHL expanded into Europe, or simply up and moved several franchises to major cities such as Moscow, St. Petersburg, Stockholm and Helsinki, then that is what I could call the foundings of a "Multi-National Superleague." Hockey is of course not the only major team sport in North America with such potential. Take a look at Baseball. Perhaps in the distant future we will bear witness to a baseball major league association featuring numerous cities in the United States, Latin America and Canada. San Juan, Havana, Mexico city, Monterrey, Santo Domingo, Caracas, etc.

At worst it's an exciting possibility for the future.

Old
11-05-2005, 06:40 PM
GoM

vCash: 500
From a fan-possibility standpoint, soccer would have the best chance of any sport, but even then, in the present I think it's simply unworkable

Closed Thread