HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Would you play Gill or Emelin?

View Poll Results: Would you make Gill a healthy scratch in order to play Emelin?
Yes 82 59.85%
No 55 40.15%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
If you were Jacques Martin, would you be ready to make Hal Gill a healthy scratch in order to play Emelin? What would be the consequences on team spirit? On overall performance on the ice?
I would scratch Diaz and play Emelin. Gill hasn't been great but you can't sit him and play 3 rookies and PK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Both. Sit Spacey
Sapcek has outplayed Gill and Diaz since his return.

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 10-28-2011 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Merged
Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:33 PM
neofury*

Sorry but no way under any circumstance Emelin gets to play instead of Weber. With each passing day Weber is proving more and more that he is a legitimate NHL D who is improving greatly with each passing game.

No way in hell he gets traded or taken out of the line up. Lately he's really stepped up his game, he's a plus player. Him Diaz and Emelin are going to make mistakes. Everyone does now and then and these guys are young. People need to be more patient.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:50 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

Personally, I would alternate between Diaz, Emelin and Gill as the healthy scratch. Put Weber in the mix from time to time, if he sucks. The only reason I'm putting Diaz there is that it's his first year here, and I believe he's similar to other D's and for the time being, he's less of a threat of going back to Europe than Emelin is. But he's been one of our best Ds so far.

I have no idea what will happen once/if every D is healthy at some point. I guess I would gladly trade Gill and/or Spacek then.

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:06 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Sorry but no way under any circumstance Emelin gets to play instead of Weber. With each passing day Weber is proving more and more that he is a legitimate NHL D who is improving greatly with each passing game.

No way in hell he gets traded or taken out of the line up. Lately he's really stepped up his game, he's a plus player. Him Diaz and Emelin are going to make mistakes. Everyone does now and then and these guys are young. People need to be more patient.
Weber nor Diaz are going to go to the KHL if they aren't given a chance to play even though they've earned it like Emelin will. The guy was one of our best D when he was in the lineup, only had two major gaffs that led to goals, and both times he directly created a goal for us later in the game to make up for it.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:07 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Both. Sit Spacey
Spacek has been an unheralded hero since coming back, and especially against the Bruins.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Lions999

I say if Emelin sits 2 or3 more games he`s going to go back to Russia....When Martin doesnt like some one thats what he does.OB gone decent dman for Avs,D`Agostini playing pretty good in St.Louis gone,SK gone playing well in Nashville,might be more cant remember.

Lions999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:24 PM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions999 View Post
I say if Emelin sits 2 or3 more games he`s going to go back to Russia....When Martin doesnt like some one thats what he does.OB gone decent dman for Avs,D`Agostini playing pretty good in St.Louis gone,SK gone playing well in Nashville,might be more cant remember.
Tenderness

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:27 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

The year the Penguins won the cup, when Gill was younger, better and faster (slightly, lol) he's was a healthy scratch i think 8 or 9 times. Besides his play on the PK he's a liability and needs to be given some days off. Of course Martin is afraid of being scored on on the PK so he'll never bench him...

But that said, I would wait till Markov comes back to start benching Gill. Not a good time right now with so many inexperienced D men on the team.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:28 PM
Pleky Roks

The thing I find most funny is that everybody said they didn't want Hamrlik back because he was too slow and another year older would only make him slower, well Hamrlik could be 45 with 1 leg and still be faster than Gill.

I'd definitely give Gill a seat to let Emelin come into his own with the extra playing time.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:33 PM
Stradale

Quote:
I said Spacek because coach can't help but overplay him in top 4 roles that he can't fill anymore.
He's been doing just fine since he came back. I don't see why he should sit.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Toro

no Gill plays unless he is tired or hurt. I don't see him geting tired this early in the season

why not go with 7 D?

Emelin can take Blundens spot in the lineup from time to time till he can not be removed from the lineup

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 10-28-2011 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Merged
Toro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:49 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
no Gill plays unless he is tired or hurt. I don't see him geting tired this early in the season
The man sucks and is useless on most given nights. Keeping him over Hammer was so retarded, I can't help but repeat it all the time.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:07 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Yemelin will get a game soon, I'm not even worried. Both Diaz and Yemelin are used to 40-50ish games seasons in the swiss league and KHL so I'm sure sitting out 2-3 games won't kill either of them + he's not being healthy scratched because he's bad or anything, he's just 6-7 on depth chart with Diaz and Spacek came back. The season is long and I'm sure we'll get to see him. Now to answer the OP, do I think Yemelin would bring a different element than Gill brings to the team right now? yes. But I wouldn't dress him instead of Gill. Gill brings alot to the team that doesnt actually show alot on the ice itself such as confort and security. If you noticed vs Boston today, Gill was there when Price let that goal in and prolly told him ''It's fine buddy, ya know you da boss'' and Price went like *Oh, I love me some Gill - he's so cool* and then made epic saves the whole game. Gill is a mentor and prolly the most sociable guy in the locker room. You don't go and replace him with a guy who doesn't speak a word english. I know he sorta sucks a bit right now but Gill is like an airplane carrier. He might be slow and sort of a lame unit but at the same time he's huge and brings the army together to fight the war!

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 01:06 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
The year the Penguins won the cup, when Gill was younger, better and faster (slightly, lol) he's was a healthy scratch i think 8 or 9 times. Besides his play on the PK he's a liability and needs to be given some days off. Of course Martin is afraid of being scored on on the PK so he'll never bench him...

But that said, I would wait till Markov comes back to start benching Gill. Not a good time right now with so many inexperienced D men on the team.
I remember him on the ice for the final minute to secure the Cup. I could be wrong, anyone else remember this moment?

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 01:17 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post

Wasn't he and Scuderi their shutdown pairing? That's what I remember from that run.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 01:33 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
I'd keep gill but tell emelin barring something crazy he plays after. Gill is a big PK guy and bruins will want any way to change their season momentum. That includes going after our players, goalie, etc... Gill isn't a fighter, but at least he can bearhug someone. May sound stupid, but yah, just don't mess with wining line up. Emelin game after.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 02:35 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

No brainer... you take Hal Gill. He's had a couple bumps in the road this year, but generally, he's been good especially when you consider that he's a notoriously slow starter.

Outside of Price, he's the best penalty killer on the team, and he's one of the few d-men on this squad who can separate forwards from the puck. You need him in the lineup.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 02:55 AM
Bouchard61

Both have their share of advantages and disadvanatges but the real dead is when Campoli and Markov are back, I think Diaz should still play, Gill and Spacek healthy scratches?

Bouchard61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:51 AM
habitue*

I would share the games between these two, giving more physical games to Gill. Gill is gone anyway (I hope) next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouchard61 View Post
Both have their share of advantages and disadvanatges but the real dead is when Campoli and Markov are back, I think Diaz should still play, Gill and Spacek healthy scratches?
Spacek is pretty good on the left side. He is playing a simple effective game and he can still skate quite well.

Markov and campoli are still weeks before comining back. Many things can happen until then.

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 10-28-2011 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Merged
habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Diaz's defense just isn't there yet. His coverage is pretty poor. Witness the goal Philly scored and the first second shift tonight.
He looked pretty good saving that goal diving across the crease last night.

Diaz has been much better than Emelin. It's not the sexy story everyone was hoping for but it's just not even close anymore between the two.

And sitting Gill, a notorious slow starter who is pretty much a captain on this team just to give icetime to Emelin would be stupid on many levels.

I keep reading we need to play Emelin he is our future. Patience people. Let him be just that, our future.

Good players get sat all the time. Right now we have a winning formula with the current lineup and the D has looked much better since Spacek's return. There is no reason to change that right now.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:03 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Spacek has been an unheralded hero since coming back, and especially against the Bruins.
I agree, even though I wouldn't go so far as to label Spacek a hero . While he's rarely going to provide anything flashy, he's been a great stabilizing presence for the defense over the last couple games.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:18 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
I agree, even though I wouldn't go so far as to label Spacek a hero . While he's rarely going to provide anything flashy, he's been a great stabilizing presence for the defense over the last couple games.
He's doing the job almost as good as Hamrlik

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Andros777

Emelin never deserved to be sat IMO. No idea why it happened.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:39 PM
groovejuice

Come the playoffs (yes Habs will be there) a healthy and rested Gill and Spacek is important. I would rotate/scratch them along with Diaz and Emelin.

Having said that, I want to believe when Markov gets back, Emelin's performance with go to another level with the russian tutelage...

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Both. Sit Spacey
Spacegoat didn't suck. Gill did.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote