HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

3 Stars & GBR: Game 08 vs. Toronto Maple Leafs

View Poll Results: 3 Stars?
Brian Boyle 0 0%
Ryan Callahan 5 8.93%
Michael Del Zotto 14 25.00%
Brandon Dubinsky 1 1.79%
Tim Erixon 1 1.79%
Ruslan Fedotenko 3 5.36%
Marian Gaborik 37 66.07%
Dan Girardi 33 58.93%
Henrik Lundqvist 1 1.79%
Ryan McDonagh 5 8.93%
Brandon Prust 1 1.79%
Brad Richards 1 1.79%
Michael Sauer 20 35.71%
Derek Stepan 0 0%
Other 7 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-27-2011, 09:49 PM
Pugs35

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Alright this MDZ bashing needs to stop.

This is ****ING RIDICULOUS at this point.
+1, he played absolutely fine tonight. The pucks bounced over his stick twice, but at least he was trying to shoot. Same can't be said for the rest of the team for the last 40 minutes.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:50 PM
Megustaelhockey
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOXPLAY View Post
Have we been outshot every game?
We have been outshot in EVERY game.

Megustaelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

I honestly think a big part of the problem is that the players are so tense and nervous that Tortorella is gonna scream and bench them if they make a mistake. It's got them overthinking and gripping their sticks extra tight. One bad SHIFT and your line that's looked great may be broken up. Tortorella has NEGATIVE impact on this team. Honestly can you name one positive thing he's changed since coming here? For all his effort preaching, the renney teams played much, much harder and more consistently. Tortorella needs to go. He's magnifying every imperfection with this team and THAT is why we look so damn out of sync and lost for long stretches. Torts and Sullivan need to be riding the buses in the AHL.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:54 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Were a .500 team that played without 2 of our top 4 defenseman for most of the year, and still don't have our #1. When we knew Staal was out people on here said they'd be happy with a .500 record. Obviously not the case. Not to say I'm happy with the way we've been playing, but as far as I'm concerned we haven't hit rock bottom until we're dead last.

Watch us blow out Ottawa on Saturday. This board will have you convinced that we're cup contenders.
"Were a .500 team" is misleading. It should be "Were a .500 team, but if our goalie has an off night we lose"

We've yet to play a decent game

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:55 PM
Pugs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
My only question now - is this rock bottom yet?
Not close, though you'd think we were Columbus if you only read this board.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:00 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
I honestly think a big part of the problem is that the players are so tense and nervous that Tortorella is gonna scream and bench them if they make a mistake. It's got them overthinking and gripping their sticks extra tight. One bad SHIFT and your line that's looked great may be broken up. Tortorella has NEGATIVE impact on this team. Honestly can you name one positive thing he's changed since coming here? For all his effort preaching, the renney teams played much, much harder and more consistently. Tortorella needs to go. He's magnifying every imperfection with this team and THAT is why we look so damn out of sync and lost for long stretches. Torts and Sullivan need to be riding the buses in the AHL.
I do not know the cause. I do know that the players are not playing in a manner that allows them to play to their ability. It is not natural for players such as Brad Richards and Marian Gaboriki to have such poor results.

Something is very wrong.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:16 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
That's ********. They played a great first period and came out flat the rest of the game. This falls squarely on their shoulders and everyone except Gaborik should be ASHAMED.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:17 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

lol at the overreactions

Anyway.... Glad the MSG cameras were able to catch Wolski giving Richards a nutshot!

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:18 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
lol at the overreactions

Anyway.... Glad the MSG cameras were able to catch Wolski giving Richards a nutshot!

Overreactions? Overreactions was declaring the team done after the first three games.

We've played 2 good periods of hockey all season. Something is going wrong.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:19 PM
Megustaelhockey
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Overreactions? Overreactions was declaring the team done after the first three games.

We've played 2 good periods of hockey all season. Something is going wrong.
If we didn't have Henrik Lundqvist, we'd be Columbus.

Megustaelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:26 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
lol at the overreactions

Not very convincing about the overreactions, but I almost admire your attempt.

Old
10-27-2011, 10:32 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
Not very convincing about the overreactions, but I almost admire your attempt.
I'm seeing "rock bottom" being thrown out there... Del Zotto had 18 turnovers? Naming certain players as trade bait, etc.... Disappointing game for sure but it's 8 games into the season! 8 games doesn't make or break a team.... Talk to me when it's 20 games into the season and you still see the same product out on the ice....

Old
10-27-2011, 10:32 PM
Loffen
Legend

NHL Highlights dosen't tell the entire story obviously, but Hank didn't look too good tonight though... And we're still playing like ******* too? Damn, this is getting bad.

Kinda happy I missed this one.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:39 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
I'm seeing "rock bottom" being thrown out there... Del Zotto had 18 turnovers? Naming certain players as trade bait, etc.... Disappointing game for sure but it's 8 games into the season! 8 games doesn't make or break a team.... Talk to me when it's 20 games into the season and you still see the same product out on the ice....
I think the main bit of concern though is, although it's only 8 games into the season, the only thing good we've seen really is our goaltending, thats it. everything else has been pretty abysmal.
Tonight's game was the home opener. A lot of people were citing the fact that we hadn't played a home game yet. well, we have now and of the 8 games, to me, this was the worst loss.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:47 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
That's not me thowing the season out. However, I am describing what is happening right now. One thing about this board that is strange is the polarity. By that I mean that objectivity can be rejected.
To repeat, to date, the team looks very untogether. To watch the offense tonight was really painful. Surely, it is not wrong to be totally concerned.
If I wasn't positive, I would not be a Rangers fan since the days of Ratelle, Gilbert, Tzachuk, McGregor, Hadfield, Villemure and on.

The idea of this whole thing is not for me to be challenged to get back to you in 10 days so that we can count the chips and decide who won.

Old
10-27-2011, 10:50 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
I think the main bit of concern though is, although it's only 8 games into the season, the only thing good we've seen really is our goaltending, thats it. everything else has been pretty abysmal.
Tonight's game was the home opener. A lot of people were citing the fact that we hadn't played a home game yet. well, we have now and of the 8 games, to me, this was the worst loss.
Yeah it's disappointing for sure... I just need to see a larger sample size before I jump to any concrete conclusions or opinions.... Had we won tonight's game 5-0, I bet some segment of the fans would be jumping to the conclusion that this team is back on track and that our recent struggles were just the result of the road trip to start the season.... The mood shifts so quickly in such a short matter of time....

Old
10-27-2011, 10:52 PM
17futurecap

Just got in from the game, man what a letdown after a pretty good first period. Hank had a bad one tonight, hey it happens, can't be perfect every night. Is Kris Newbury's face still there, that was almost scary? The constant line juggling was getting stupid in the third.

Have to say Gabby was flying tonight, especially in the first, looked like a guy that could actually take a game over. Never saw that much, even at all last year. The second period may have been worse than the third, but who really cares, just an awful last 40 tonight, get Ottawa Saturday!

Also Dubi was awful, and I love the guy. Him holding the puck instead of passing in the third was rough.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:56 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 263
Quote:
it's sports fans being passionate about their hockey team. over reacting? yes, and i mean God yes 18 turn over i was obviously exaggerating, but it was a handful. at this point, with what i have seen, i am pissed and i'm going to say "trade him kill him fire him" or whatever. i mean dude, when Tor scored the 4th goal tonight i even yelled "******* your mother's dog." i dont even know what that means. people are mad, people will exaggerate and people will most certainly overreact. it's called being a die hard fan.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:05 PM
LeetchisGod
HL30 + McD27 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvesNYR View Post
I think a lot of the reason people are mad is because we have not played a complete 60-minute game yet this season. We've literally been outplayed every game, outshot every game. No Staal? Look at Pittsburgh, no Crosby all season, no Malkin in like half of their games, yet they still pull through.

Yes, we're literally a .500 team, but without Hank we have 2 points or less for last place IMO.
Bylsma is a much better coach than Torts. He gets the most out of a badly depleted roster with regularity. This team is not talented enough to win without strategy.

LeetchisGod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:08 PM
stasiewich
Monahan 4 president

The Good: 1st Period, Gaborik

The Bad: Everything else

The Redden: I continued watching this game instead of flipping to the Flyers Jets game.

Also, this team needs scoring, i don't think Avery would bring that. Would rather bring up Zuc than Avery.

Whens Kreider gunna be ready

stasiewich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:11 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
You are so right. The fans on this board are a bunch of hypocritical front running fools. I'll admit that all the line juggling doesn't give players a chance to form any cohesiveness together but this bulls*** about the players being so afraid of making a mistake that they're squeezing the sticks too hard and can't score is an absolute crock of s***. I don't want to hear any more crap about how Tom Renny's teams played harder and more consistently because near the end of his reign, the players had completely tuned him out and stopped playing for him. The team was a real cluster **** by the time Savior mercifully dumped him. I agree wholeheartedly with you, let's look at the situation when we are 20-25 games into the season before we start looking for a bridge or building to jump off.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:16 PM
useref15

I missed the press conferences. What'd Tortorella say? Or, did he pull his usual I'm not taking about this crap. Gawd, I really can't stand Tortorella. His line combinations are laughable.

useref15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:20 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
Bylsma is a much better coach than Torts. He gets the most out of a badly depleted roster with regularity. This team is not talented enough to win without strategy.
I would agree the Bylsma is a probably a better coach but even without Crosby since last january and Malkin for long stretches of time, the Pens still have terrific talent remaining to work with.

Old
10-27-2011, 11:22 PM
dccuse

If anyone that was at the game is interested in writing a short guest blog entry about the fan experience at the new garden on opening night, pm me. Luckily we have 5 more chances to win at home before its off again

dccuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by useref15 View Post
I missed the press conferences. What'd Tortorella say? Or, did he pull his usual I'm not taking about this crap. Gawd, I really can't stand Tortorella. His line combinations are laughable.
Wrong dude. Torts post game press conference was great. He gave well thought, poignant answers and stressed the positives he's seeing from the team while calling them a "work in progress." The line combinations and juggling are frustrating at best but need I remind you that other coaches including the "great" Tom Renny shuffle lines plenty.