Notices

Traveling to Winnipeg for road trip 1/11-1/13

Old
10-27-2011, 08:16 PM
AirShark

vCash: 500
Traveling to Winnipeg for road trip 1/11-1/13

Hi all,

My Cousin and I are huge Sharks fans and we live out here around San Jose, CA.

We take a road trip every year to somewhere new and watch the Sharks play. We're not obnoxious fans or anything, we just want to have a good time. We love everything about hockey. About the worst you'll see us do is stand up and clap if/when the Sharks score on Jan 12th. :-)

It just worked out this year that we had time to fly up to Winnipeg in January from San Jose. We're super excited to be able to see the Jets in their first "comeback" year at home! I can't imagine how excited you guys must be to get your team back!

We've got our game tickets coming in the mail. I have to book the airfare/hotel/car in the next day or two.

Any recommendations on where to stay, what to see, or where to eat while we're in town? As I'm sure you're aware, there are not too many travel guides on trips to Winnipeg :-)

Thanks,

-Bryan

Go Sharks!!!

AirShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:25 PM
jetkarma

The answers depend on what you want to do , let us know what you want to do , lots of good options we'll be happy to provide once you do !

jetkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Makeshift We Are
Harper is a fool.

Plenty of hotels downtown. The Fairmont is classy. Not sure of prices.

There is food within walking distance. Check out The Forks, take a walk down Provencher Avenue and enjoy a cup of coffee while people watching... Just take in the city!

Enjoy!

Makeshift We Are is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:49 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

vCash: 0
The peelers would be glad to see you.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:02 PM
drew77

Just be sure to check the weather before you come. There will be just a slight temperature difference between Winnipeg and San Jose in January!

drew77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:05 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Bring warm clothes. You're not exactly showing up for prime tourist season if you know what I mean.

You might want to look into snowmobiling. That's some authentic prairie fun.

OthmarAmmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:10 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Ice Fishing, cross-country skiing, snow-shoeing, snowmobiling, ice skating, hockey outdoors, etc.

There are so many fun outdoor activities to choose from it'll make your head spin!

Enjoy your stay in Peg City!

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:14 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

i'd stay at the delta or the radisson if you want to be within stumbling distance of the arena.....

the fort garry would be a nice canadian experience and only a few blocks away...inn at the forks is a bit of a walk in january but a good location when not at the games.

should definitely do some ice fishing.

peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:16 PM
Huffer

vCash: 758
I would suggest the Fairmont, or the Inn at the Forks.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:25 PM
darksociety

Don't worry about offending 'peggers; we'll be so flat-out amazed that there are Californians here in January that you could get away with murder!

Lots to do in Winnipeg, just depends on what you're looking for!

darksociety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:44 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

^ yeah you will get more sympathy than anything else.

i wouldnt be surprised if they wrote an article about you in the newspaper.

Old
10-27-2011, 11:03 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 800
I wouldn't be surprised if our goofy mayor (Katz) awards you a key to the city in recognition of your visit to the Peg.

PS Good luck in finding tickets

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:22 PM
blues10

You will probably want to stay downtown.

The Radisson and Delta are both connected to MTSC. The Fairmont is also connected to MTSC but you will need a map for navigation.

Technically you could arrive at the airport and take a cab to the hotel and never have to set foot outside until you take a cab back to the airport. Most of downtown is connected via skywalks and underground tunnels. shoping, dining, drinking and the Jets all while never leaving temperature controlled environments.

It can be quite balmy in mid-January in Winnipeg. -20C most likely and could even reach highs of -10C. If the weather is good, ice fishing, tobogganing and some outdoor hockey should certainly be on the agenda.

Enjoy our fine city and thanks for visiting.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:55 AM
AirShark

Wow that was a lot of replies in a short time! I would have been back sooner, but I have 6mo and 18mo old boys that demand their fair share of attention. I really appreciate the tips guys. Thank You.

Where to start...:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
The answers depend on what you want to do , let us know what you want to do , lots of good options we'll be happy to provide once you do !
Check out the game of course. I like to have a few drinks and to check out a new city. Being from the land of no-snow, any of the outdoor activities sound awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeshift We Are View Post
Plenty of hotels downtown. The Fairmont is classy. Not sure of prices.

There is food within walking distance. Check out The Forks, take a walk down Provencher Avenue and enjoy a cup of coffee while people watching... Just take in the city!
Checked the Fairmont. Pretty pricey...but looks great. The forks...check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDz View Post
The peelers would be glad to see you.
Ok, I'll bite: What's a peeler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew77 View Post
Just be sure to check the weather before you come. There will be just a slight temperature difference between Winnipeg and San Jose in January!
You mean I won't be able to walk around in shorts and a t-shirt in January? I'll have to make a trip to the store before the game to get winter wear. I'm sure a neon colored snow suit will be just fine....no one will be able to tell where I'm from

Quote:
Originally Posted by OthmarAmmann View Post
Bring warm clothes. You're not exactly showing up for prime tourist season if you know what I mean.

You might want to look into snowmobiling. That's some authentic prairie fun.
I haven't been on a snowmobile in years. Any suggestions for places? Sounds fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Ice Fishing, cross-country skiing, snow-shoeing, snowmobiling, ice skating, hockey outdoors, etc.

There are so many fun outdoor activities to choose from it'll make your head spin!

Enjoy your stay in Peg City!
We sure will, thank you. All of that sounds great. My Cousin's girlfriend is a vegan....I think some of that may have rubbed off on him, so fishing may be out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
i'd stay at the delta or the radisson if you want to be within stumbling distance of the arena.....

LOL

the fort garry would be a nice canadian experience and only a few blocks away...inn at the forks is a bit of a walk in january but a good location when not at the games.

should definitely do some ice fishing.
The Inn at the forks looks beautiful. Have to look in to that one maybe. Although I'm sure my Cousin will remind me that two guys traveling together don't need such a romantic-looking hotel :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksociety View Post
Don't worry about offending 'peggers; we'll be so flat-out amazed that there are Californians here in January that you could get away with murder!
Murder you say? I think my calendar just filled up!

Quote:
^ yeah you will get more sympathy than anything else.

i wouldnt be surprised if they wrote an article about you in the newspaper.
Maybe I should send them an email announcing our arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if our goofy mayor (Katz) awards you a key to the city in recognition of your visit to the Peg.

PS Good luck in finding tickets
Cousin Mike already paid dearly at StubHub for some nosebleed seats. Hope they're not fakes lol. Seriously though. You guys have quite the insane ticket market this year! We had no idea where else to look for tix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
You will probably want to stay downtown.

The Radisson and Delta are both connected to MTSC. The Fairmont is also connected to MTSC but you will need a map for navigation.

Technically you could arrive at the airport and take a cab to the hotel and never have to set foot outside until you take a cab back to the airport. Most of downtown is connected via skywalks and underground tunnels. shoping, dining, drinking and the Jets all while never leaving temperature controlled environments.

It can be quite balmy in mid-January in Winnipeg. -20C most likely and could even reach highs of -10C. If the weather is good, ice fishing, tobogganing and some outdoor hockey should certainly be on the agenda.

Enjoy our fine city and thanks for visiting.
I'll have to break out my Celcius to Farenheit calculator....checking....HOLY CRAP THAT'S COLD! My fragile California skin is going to flake off!

We're only going to be there from Wed afternoon, leaving Friday mid-day. (Wife at home with two kids) Though she's very understanding in our goal to see all the NHL venues before we die. It sounds like there's a lot to squeeze in during that time. So far, I've seen the Sharks at San Jose, Anaheim, Los Angeles, Calgary, Edmonton, Phoenix. I've seen other games at Carolina and Washington D.C. People are usually cool with us when they find out the distance we've traveled to see the game. (Even the drunk Oilers fans lol.) Except the L.A. fans, everyone the past years has been awesome.

I had no idea that all of that was connected downtown. That sounds great.

Would you all not recommend renting a car? Better to just take a taxi downtown and then walk most places?

One last thing....WHY IS AIRFARE TO WINNIPEG SO FREAKING EXPENSIVE? When we decided to go this year, Winnipeg turns out to be one of the costliest trips that we could find for any team in the NHL from the San Francisco/San Jose area. Very surprising!

Thanks again everyone for the advice. I'm glad I asked here before booking our trip. I've got to say...you'll be the third Canadian NHL city for us. For two guys from California who get looked at funny for being obsessed with the NHL, traveling to Canada feels like we're going home. It's nice to be able to talk to damn near anyone about hockey without hearing a stupid comment like "So you went to the fight and a hockey game broke out EH?"...followed by ignorant laughter.

I didn't want to go to Atlanta anyways lol. (Saw enough of that city in the Army) Thanks for taking care of that for us guys!

Old
10-28-2011, 01:20 AM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirShark View Post
W
I'll have to break out my Celcius to Farenheit calculator....checking....HOLY CRAP THAT'S COLD!
you wont need it in january....at -40 both Fahrenheit and Celsius are the same.

Old
10-28-2011, 01:21 AM
Aerial

Quote:
Would you all not recommend renting a car? Better to just take a taxi downtown and then walk most places?

One last thing....WHY IS AIRFARE TO WINNIPEG SO FREAKING EXPENSIVE? When we decided to go this year, Winnipeg turns out to be one of the costliest trips that we could find for any team in the NHL from the San Francisco/San Jose area. Very surprising!
It depends what other kinds of activities you might be doing, but if you're mostly going to the game and staying / hanging out around downtown, there's not a lot of a reason to rent a car. But that's just my opinion.

As far as airfare: airfare in Canada is generally quite a bit more expensive than what you're used to. (It's not uncommon for Winnipeggers to drive two hours south to Grand Forks, North Dakota to take a flight from there, than our own airport, just to save a few hundred bucks or more.)

Then you add to that the fact that Winnipeg is the smallest and most generally isolated NHL market in Canada, and there ya go.

Either way, enjoy the trip, enjoy our fair city and advance welcome. Keep in touch, I'm sure there are members here who would be happy to arrange a liquid welcome wagon for you folks.

As a side note, just to bear this in mind for your packing... the last time I had an American visit in mid-January, the temperature was -40C. Don't bother with the temperature converter -- that's -40F too.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 01:23 AM
angrymnky

I'd rent a car to get around - why make things more difficult. Things may seem pretty close but if the weather is miserable...

If you hit the Forks you can try skating on the river if they have skate rentals - I'm not sure if they do anymore. Is your cousin vegetarian/vegan or not really? The tourist areas I guess are downtown, the exchange district (also downtown), the forks, osborne village, corydon avenue and assiniboine park.

angrymnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 01:30 AM
AirShark

Quote:
you wont need it in january....at -40 both Fahrenheit and Celsius are the same.
You see...I learned something new today lol.

Old
10-28-2011, 01:41 AM
AirShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarSugar View Post
It depends what other kinds of activities you might be doing, but if you're mostly going to the game and staying / hanging out around downtown, there's not a lot of a reason to rent a car. But that's just my opinion.
I'll have to ask my cousin. Rentals aren't cheap there either. It's about $120 for two days + fuel. It might be cheaper to just use a taxi, walk to the places that are heated and taxi to anywhere else. Hopefully we can work that out and book tomorrow.

Quote:
As far as airfare: airfare in Canada is generally quite a bit more expensive than what you're used to. (It's not uncommon for Winnipeggers to drive two hours south to Grand Forks, North Dakota to take a flight from there, than our own airport, just to save a few hundred bucks or more.)
I'm still surprised. Just for comparison, we had originally planned to go to Chicago. That trip would have cost around $350/person (Flight+Hotel) , plus the cost of game tickets. Winnipeg is going to cost right around $640/person to stay at the Delta or the Radisson. Slightly more at the Forks. That's without a car, plus game tickets. If I lived there, I'd prob be driving down to the states too!

Quote:
Then you add to that the fact that Winnipeg is the smallest and most generally isolated NHL market in Canada, and there ya go.

Either way, enjoy the trip, enjoy our fair city and advance welcome. Keep in touch, I'm sure there are members here who would be happy to arrange a liquid welcome wagon for you folks.
There's something in the water that makes you Canadians so nice lol j/k. I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions, plus we'll be easy to spot. The only two teal jerseys in the stands I'm sure :-) If there's some sort of place to get together that's out-of-town fan mugging safe, we'll be there :-)

Quote:
As a side note, just to bear this in mind for your packing... the last time I had an American visit in mid-January, the temperature was -40C. Don't bother with the temperature converter -- that's -40F too.
I can honestly say that I've never been anywhere that cold. Even the cruise we took to Alaska a few years ago didn't come close to that. Even when we take winter trips a few hours away to go skiing in Lake Tahoe, NV it doesn't get that cold. I'm sure that we're in for a surprise

Old
10-28-2011, 01:44 AM
AirShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymnky View Post
I'd rent a car to get around - why make things more difficult. Things may seem pretty close but if the weather is miserable...

If you hit the Forks you can try skating on the river if they have skate rentals - I'm not sure if they do anymore. Is your cousin vegetarian/vegan or not really? The tourist areas I guess are downtown, the exchange district (also downtown), the forks, osborne village, corydon avenue and assiniboine park.
I tease my Cousin because his girlfriend is vegan, but he's not really. It's kind of rubbed off on him, but he likes meat too much I think. Although he has brought salmon-burgers to a few barbeques though....maybe I should think about that some more.

I imagine with the small amount of time we have, we'll be seeing the touristy things first. Doing the other stuff if they pop up and/or time permits.

Old
10-28-2011, 01:48 AM
Aerial

As far as costs for things, make sure to check something like Travelocity or Hotwire or whatever. I've gotten unbelievably good prices for hotels and car rentals off of those sites -- I never book direct now when I travel.

And keep getting excited. Being at a Jets game for this first season is a pretty special experience, no matter whose jersey you're wearing.

Old
10-28-2011, 01:53 AM
AirShark

Quote:
As far as costs for things, make sure to check something like Travelocity or Hotwire or whatever. I've gotten unbelievably good prices for hotels and car rentals off of those sites -- I never book direct now when I travel.

And keep getting excited. Being at a Jets game for this first season is a pretty special experience, no matter whose jersey you're wearing.
So is the consensus generally that the Radisson and Delta are more conveniently located for hockey, while something like the Forks is just nicer overall, requiring a taxi/car to get to the MTS Centre?

Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire and Expedia are my best travel friends :-) I can't see why anyone would pay higher prices to book direct anymore.

Old
10-28-2011, 02:18 AM
Aerial

Quote:
So is the consensus generally that the Radisson and Delta are more conveniently located for hockey, while something like the Forks is just nicer overall, requiring a taxi/car to get to the MTS Centre?
The Forks is a totally walkable distance to MTS Centre -- about a 15 minute walk for me, even with my stubby little legs. In the cold that can suck, but bundle up (or stop in at Earl's on Main Street for a bevvy or two on the way) and you're fine. It's probably a $6 cab ride.

The Radisson and the Delta just happen to be in the adjoining block to MTS Centre. Other options within walking distance of MTS Centre, if you're price shopping, include the Place Louis Riel (http://www.placelouisriel.com/) and the Humphry Inn (http://www.humphryinn.com/) on Main Street. There are some other downtown hotels that I wouldn't recommend, so if you want to stick close to the MTS Centre any of those five will do ya.

Old
10-28-2011, 03:19 AM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Re airfare - it's about half the price to fly to Grand Forks ND a drive from there. It's about a two hour drive though, so it could be a bit long for a short trip.

OthmarAmmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 05:11 AM
Whileee

I would definitely suggest staying at Inn at the Forks. The Forks is the most "happening" place during the winter (and summer). Taking a cab to and from the game should be no problem. Knowing Winnipeggers, you could probably find someone on this Board who would be happy to pick you up and drive you to the game.

Winnipeg has great restaurants. A colleague of mine who moved from Toronto via Vancouver raves about the quality --- says he's never had a bad meal in Winnipeg.

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote