HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Early season review of Moulson

Old
10-28-2011, 02:46 AM
LAIslanderFan

vCash: 500
Early season review of Moulson

Does anyone else think Matt Moulson is a little soft out there. There's no question he's very good in front of the net, but that requires a playmaker like Tavares to make him look good. I can't recall the last time I've seen Moulson lead a rush, or win a battle behind the net. He's a big guy, but he can't play a physical game and always seems to get out muscled and that drives me crazy, condering the effort Tavares makes trying to keep the puck in the Islanders end.

Before anyone jumps all over me, watch a few games and keep an eye on Moulson, even when he doesn't have the puck. He's really a non entity out there and leans heavily on JT to get him the puck.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 03:08 AM
OlTimeHockey

Been saying it regularly. Moulson is talented but in the grand scheme of things, in the toughness department, Moulson is a twinkie. Tavares is tough and PA underrated in his toughness. I wish Moulson would just start hitting some out there.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 05:23 AM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Been saying it regularly. Moulson is talented but in the grand scheme of things, in the toughness department, Moulson is a twinkie. Tavares is tough and PA underrated in his toughness. I wish Moulson would just start hitting some out there.
Parenteau has turned into a hockey player.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 06:10 AM
Hip Of Rick

Pretty much a team of Marys aside from JT, PAP, Martin, Jurcina, Gillies moustache, and DP's beard. Once in awhile Comeau wakes up for 30 or so seconds a game and gets involved and hits someone.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:00 AM
Moosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
Does anyone else think Matt Moulson is a little soft out there.

Moosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:16 AM
Islanders1932

Yeah but did anyone see his back checking last night? Awesome!

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:21 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Soft or not, he's just not been very effective. I just can't recall him having been dangerous in any of the last four games.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:26 AM
number72

Give him a big contract and he is not hungry enough to score

number72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:08 AM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by *********** View Post
180 degree turn around from his play last year. He finishes every check and his passes are crisp and some are insane. Plays with an edge and plays with heart.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:14 AM
Aucoin3

Mouslon is fine he just isnt a first line player. If he was on the 2nd line he would be considered a stud in this league. The Islanders have the exact same problem this year that they have had each of the last 10. They do not have any 1st line wings, none since Steve Thomas. They do not have a legit #2 dman, non since Jonsson/Aucoin/Hamrlik have they had a legit top 3. Finally they do not have a real 2nd line center. I dont even think they have had one since the early 80s. Peca was a great 3rd line guy. I guess Yashin was a solid 2nd line center but that means we had no 1st line center at that time.

Until the Islanders get legitimate NHL top 6 forwards they will never be a true contending team.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
180 degree turn around from his play last year. He finishes every check and his passes are crisp and some are insane. Plays with an edge and plays with heart.
He played with an edge last year, too. He's not Cam Neely or anything, but if he takes a stick or a high hit, he doesn't shy away from mixing it up a little.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:15 AM
LAIslanderFan

It just frustrates me to see his play. Obviously the more time you spend in the opponants end, the better chance you have of scoring. If Moulson could win a few battles behind the net, it would make a big difference with Tavares on the ice with him. The Tavares line offensive zone time suffers because of him.

Old
10-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
He played with an edge last year, too. He's not Cam Neely or anything, but if he takes a stick or a high hit, he doesn't shy away from mixing it up a little.
And this is what I actually like about him. I just wish he would stop making terrible low percentage passes. He like the rest of this team need to start simplifying things.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Hipster Doofus

Every player is soft on the Islanders according to Islander fans since as long as far back as the AOL message boards. Maybe 10% of these gripes are close to legitimate. This is not one of them.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:39 AM
KH1

Considering that Moulson makes his living getting slashed, crosschecked, and worse in front of the net, I don't think that it's fair to label him "soft" just because he's hit a scoring drought.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:57 PM
LAIslanderFan

It has nothing to to with his scoring drought. It's the fact that the Tavares line is not getting enough time in the offensive zone, JT and PAP are not the issue, I feel as if Moulson isn't carrying his weight. He loses every puck battle, behind the net. It's frustrating for me to watch the effort JT and PAP are making and then see Moulson pushed aside when he's behind the net with relative ease, and the puck taken away and moved out of the zone.

Old
10-28-2011, 12:59 PM
DoggyOnDown

what makes thinigs worse for both MM and PAP is that there to simliar. Both not great skaters, cant carry the puck, horrible along the boards... both have a reasonbly good shoot...yet find themselves on the first line where the must produce. The first line needs someone who can draw the crowd away from JT once in awhile.... if both wingers are not able to do this then that's a problem. Before the season started i would have said put KO on the line to help balance the attack. now we wait for Nino and pray

DoggyOnDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 01:06 PM
BillD

Moulson is neither soft or in a slump.
He is what he is, a one trick pony who can score goals from in front of the net from scrums, broken plays, rebounds, and passes to his stick.
He could be described somewhat as Czerkawski used (only Moulson is not quite as extreme), "when he isn't scoring, he isn't doing anything else".
Moulson tries, he skates as hard as he can, but unless he is getting pucks sent down low where he can get a stick on it, nothing is happening. he isn't a talented passer of the puck, you will never see him deke a defender, or turn one on the rush, or score forehand-backhand-forehand.
JBG could use a more complete LW than Moulson, who would fit on any of the other two lines, but not the 4th.

Last edited by BillD: 10-28-2011 at 01:16 PM.
BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 01:15 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Moulson isnt soft. Bailey is the poster boy. He should drive around in a mr ****ing softee truck as his side job. brutal.

IslesFanatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 01:23 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:
Originally Posted by *********** View Post
i dunno, hes still a ****ing meatball out there. his hockey sense is on par with jason blake, he still makes dumb passes and he makes bonehead moves out there when hes not in a shooting position. i dont hate the guy, and i think he works well with tavares out there, but hes still out to lunch most of the time.

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 02:18 PM
OlTimeHockey

A delicate reminder to those who refuse to see or remember: Nino had ZERO chemistry with Tavares and either winger. None.

Nino better be on the fourth and third lines to start so we don't look like the SOS organiztion that promoted Bailey and a laundry list of others too soon.

Nino is TOO IMPORTANT to go roto hockey dreamer on.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 03:37 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Moulson is a plugger. He will take abuse and play in the dirty areas and is adept at garbage goals but outside of that he is not a good playmaker, is not much of a passer and will never be described as fast. He is second line material and wholly inadequate for Tavares as a wing. Get me one other real first line wing for John and I am ok with Matt on the first unit on the other side. Not with PAP though.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 06:52 AM
Halakness Monster

Moulson is weighing that line down more than PA Parenteau. Never thought id say that. Honestlyif he doesnt get his **** together i know where Nino will be playing

Halakness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 02:07 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI94wasaFLUKE9 View Post
Moulson is weighing that line down more than PA Parenteau. Never thought id say that. Honestlyif he doesnt get his **** together i know where Nino will be playing
Are you that certain Nino will be that good? maybe later, after some development, but you think he will be that good right now? He was pretty unspectacular in pre-season, and has been on ice since then. I think at a minimum he will need about 5 games on another line to get his legs loose and his head screwed into the faster game.

But I hope I am wrong because I am sick of losing hockey from a team being bled to death by an owner in stubborn stingy miser mode.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 03:18 PM
BaileyToOkposo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Ya but he's not a 1st line player still, a good 3rd line player

BaileyToOkposo is offline   Reply With Quote