HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

3 Stars & GBR: Game 08 vs. Toronto Maple Leafs

View Poll Results: 3 Stars?
Brian Boyle 0 0%
Ryan Callahan 5 8.93%
Michael Del Zotto 14 25.00%
Brandon Dubinsky 1 1.79%
Tim Erixon 1 1.79%
Ruslan Fedotenko 3 5.36%
Marian Gaborik 37 66.07%
Dan Girardi 33 58.93%
Henrik Lundqvist 1 1.79%
Ryan McDonagh 5 8.93%
Brandon Prust 1 1.79%
Brad Richards 1 1.79%
Michael Sauer 20 35.71%
Derek Stepan 0 0%
Other 7 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-27-2011, 11:53 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

vCash: 500
Passed Gorton and Schoenfeld on the way out and it was pretty clear they were very upset.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:16 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
That's ********. They played a great first period and came out flat the rest of the game. This falls squarely on their shoulders and everyone except Gaborik should be ASHAMED.
True to a degree, but Tortorella has shown zero confidence in anyone but Hank. Ten mins into the second he starts messing with the lines. Ten mins of crap play after a great first and he gives up on them and juggles everything.

As a coach you need to have some kind of faith in your team to work through some adversity without you jumping in every two seconds and messing with their linemates who they're trying to improve and learn with.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:20 AM
TigerJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasiewich View Post
The Good: 1st Period, Gaborik

The Bad: Everything else

The Redden: I continued watching this game instead of flipping to the Flyers Jets game.

Also, this team needs scoring, i don't think Avery would bring that. Would rather bring up Zuc than Avery.

Whens Kreider gunna be ready
I see no use calling Zuke up. He will just get 5 minutes in the fourth line. Thatīs not where the problems are....

If Zuke gets called up he needs to play in the top lines, put him with Richards and Gaborik, and give him the minutes, and he will create.

If not, let him develop in CT and trade him.

Itīs really strange that Torts finds Zucca a worse player than many of the players in the roster....

Stepan has put up som awesome points so far. 1 point in 8 games, and -3. Wolski and Christensen zero points....

TigerJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:33 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

can't win a game when your goalie cant stop 50 foot wristers. Henrik was awful tonight.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:39 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
can't win a game when your goalie cant stop 50 foot wristers. Henrik was awful tonight.
He was, plain and simple. The first goal from the boards was brutal. Had a feeling after that it wouldn't be his night.

He can't be amazing every night and is the only reason why the team has the record it does right now which is why I'm not getting on him but tonight was a bad game. No way around it.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:51 AM
Slayem
Lucky Zuke

The reason: the whole team is sick of Torts.
The solution: boot him. Bring up Avery and MZA
The result: new motivation and guts.

Slayem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:59 AM
alves

Quote:
Hard to win a game when you play well for only 20 minutes. This one falls on Hank and the entire team. Without Henrik playing the way he has the first 7 games, this team has a Columbus-esque record, 0-2 pts. We've literally, been out-shot EVERY game.

I'm disliking Torts more and more. I've always liked his no nonsense approach to coaching, but when you're juggling lines so much, how the **** can you expect chemistry to just magically form? players need to learn their linemates' playstyle, how fast they skate, when to thread a pass to them, etc. This develops during games, not just practice. Give the guys time for God's sake. And stop benching players to "prove a point", it can only work once or twice, maybe a few times. It totally ruins a guy's confidence.

alves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 01:10 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvesNYR View Post
Hard to win a game when you play well for only 20 minutes. This one falls on Hank and the entire team. Without Henrik playing the way he has the first 7 games, this team has a Columbus-esque record, 0-2 pts. We've literally, been out-shot EVERY game.

I'm disliking Torts more and more. I've always liked his no nonsense approach to coaching, but when you're juggling lines so much, how the **** can you expect chemistry to just magically form? players need to learn their linemates' playstyle, how fast they skate, when to thread a pass to them, etc. This develops during games, not just practice. Give the guys time for God's sake. And stop benching players to "prove a point", it can only work once or twice, maybe a few times. It totally ruins a guy's confidence.
yeah yeah yeah, the team played like crap for most of the 2nd and 3rd...but it doesnt really matter....the Leafs scored 4 AWFUL goals... Henrik is responsible for this loss. Plain and simple. You can spin it any way you want, but your goalie has to make those stops...him making the 2 saves on Kessel doesnt mitigate the fact that he was letting in goals that even Gustavsson woulda stopped

regarding the line juggling, you guys are acting like these are 18 new skaters to the team. There are only 2 guys playing tonight that didn't play on the Rangers last season...Tim Erixon, and Brad Richards. The rest of these guys have played together, they DO know each others tendencies, strengths, weaknesses, etc. So i call complete and utter BS to all this whining about line juggling. I would be doing the exact same thing. Keep playing around till you find somethign that works.

Old
10-28-2011, 01:22 AM
alves

Quote:
yeah yeah yeah, the team played like crap for most of the 2nd and 3rd...but it doesnt really matter....the Leafs scored 4 AWFUL goals... Henrik is responsible for this loss. Plain and simple. You can spin it any way you want, but your goalie has to make those stops...him making the 2 saves on Kessel doesnt mitigate the fact that he was letting in goals that even Gustavsson woulda stopped
He gave up 2 what I'd say were "awful goals". We still only scored 2 goals and got out-played 2/3s of the game. I agree much of this loss in on Hank, but it's a team effort. Guy had a bad game but has been stellar the 7 prior games. But hey, game's over, let's wait to see how we respond against Ottawa. If we can't pull together a 60-minute team effort, something's definitely wrong.

Quote:
regarding the line juggling, you guys are acting like these are 18 new skaters to the team. There are only 2 guys playing tonight that didn't play on the Rangers last season...Tim Erixon, and Brad Richards. The rest of these guys have played together, they DO know each others tendencies, strengths, weaknesses, etc. So i call complete and utter BS to all this whining about line juggling. I would be doing the exact same thing. Keep playing around till you find somethign that works.
Yes, you're right. But it's kind of early to be juggling lines like this, don't you think? I'm sure players aren't delighted with playing alongside a different player every other shift. There's not going to be some optimal line that comes out of no-where. I say just give the players time, it's too early to be juggling lines so often.

Old
10-28-2011, 01:24 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
He gave up 2 what I'd say were "awful goals". We still only scored 2 goals and got out-played 2/3s of the game. I agree much of this loss in on Hank, but it's a team effort. Guy had a bad game but has been stellar the 7 prior games. But hey, game's over, let's wait to see how we respond against Ottawa. If we can't pull together a 60-minute team effort, something's definitely wrong.
guy skates down on the left side, henrik isnt on his post, puck squeezes in. thats on henrik.

50 foot shot by macarthur goes in, thats on henrik. another wrister top corner goes in, thats on henrik.

henrik misplays a shot right into his chest, rebound is put in, thats on henrik.

95 times out of 100 Henrik has a shutout tonight and the Rangers win 2-0. Win as a team, lose as a team, fine. But let's be honest here. even marty biron woulda won us this game tonight.

Old
10-28-2011, 01:33 AM
alves

for anyone who missed it, although it was nothing special.
They forgot to book ace frehley this year.

LOL @ Wolski tapping Richards in the nuts @ 4 minutes in.

Old
10-28-2011, 01:34 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Yes, you're right. But it's kind of early to be juggling lines like this, don't you think? I'm sure players aren't delighted with playing alongside a different player every other shift. There's not going to be some optimal line that comes out of no-where. I say just give the players time, it's too early to be juggling lines so often.
Not when the team is mustering up 2 and 3 shots in periods. When that happens you HAVE to shake things up. right now the only forward thats playing well seemingly night in and night out is Marian Gaborik. Youve got 11 other forwards who are sleep walking out there. Torts has to keep shaking this up till something starts working.

Its not like the Rangers had a great first period, and then had new lines to start the 2nd. They didnt. They mustered up like NOTHING for the first half of the second, and then the line changing began.

You HAVE to be proactive out there. sitting back and praying things will fix themselves in the new NHL is something akin to suicide for a coach.

You try to buy lines time to get things going when you have say 2 lines clicking and 2 lines that arent. you ride the 2 good lines till the other 2 can figure it out. but when you have 4 lines playing like garbage, you gotta shake things up. Really the only line that you can say hasnt played like trash all season has been the Prust-Boyle-Fedotenko line, but that line isnt going to score you goals and win you games, so it becomes expendable in the effort to find something that works. Richards and Gabby have obvious chemistry, except nobody else is playing well, so splitting them up might wake some other players up.

i have no problems whatsoever with anything Torts has done this season with 1 exception, benching Gabby the other day. Other than that, id say hes been right on.

Old
10-28-2011, 01:40 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Frankly if im torts right now, i'd bench a core guy to send a message to the team that this level of play is unacceptable.

Not sure who...Dubi is pretty close to asking for it based on his play and his numbers....AA is an easy target, but im not sure that sends the message you want.

I think id sit either Richards or Dubi for a game to tell these guys, you cant play like this, PERIOD.

Old
10-28-2011, 01:44 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2810
Quote:
Frankly if im torts right now, i'd bench a core guy to send a message to the team that this level of play is unacceptable.

Not sure who...Dubi is pretty close to asking for it based on his play and his numbers....AA is an easy target, but im not sure that sends the message you want.

I think id sit either Richards or Dubi for a game to tell these guys, you cant play like this, PERIOD.
I think if Tortorella does this, he would be fired in a few months tops.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." — -31-
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 01:46 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I think if Tortorella does this, he would be fired in a few months tops.
possibly, possibly not. its a risky move for sure, you could lose the lockeroom that way, and maybe AA is the safer person to bench, because he clearly deserves it, but so do other players...and Dubi right now is one of those guys that could really use a slap in the face to wake his ass up. its a risk...but its not like the Rangers are mired in a 1 or 2 game slump...they just look flat out lazy out there at times...and thats unacceptable.

Old
10-28-2011, 02:21 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
You're not really that dense are you?

Henrik is like the 16th or 17th player down on the blame list tonight despite giving up two bad goals. We have no chemistry. None. Not a single line is "going." the players don't even know what line they're on!

Henrik was out of sorts tonight but that's not even in the top five reasons why we lost this game.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 03:26 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Caught the game late.

Our first period was great, maybe the best of the season. The 2 non goal calls really pissed me off. The first one was a goal, but I'm sure that's been debated heavily here already, so I'll leave it.

Henrik had a piss poor game. I'm not about to condemn him, but he has a knack for picking terrible games to **** the bed. Oh well, he gets a pass.

I grazed the thread, but there seems to be some MDZ talk. I thought Michael had a great game. He had a hard earned assist on that non goal, and his transition game is greatly improved. He's unlucky, he makes the occasional glaring mistake and he always has to pay for it. I really didn't see the 3rd or 4th goals in enough detail to know what he did, but i thought his play was very nice. And he scored...

What pissed me off was Dubinsky and Callahan. These guys have been ****ing playing with each other for 5 years, yet they look like they have never met on an offensive rush. They collide with each other, Callahan dekes worse then an NHL11 player who just learned what the left stick does. My god, he has serious issues creating offense.

Brad Richards has shown up with his nice play of the game, but overall the dude has been a complete no show. Never has any puck presence, gets knocked off the puck in a split second, has brought nothing. It's hard to look past his game tying goal against Anaheim, or his assists, but if this is what we signed up for, it's a completed disaster. He has SOO much more, I have watched him plenty of times. Gaborik's been a revelation, now he needs to get his ****ing centerman into it.

Last edited by ColonialsHockey10: 10-28-2011 at 03:31 AM.
ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 04:01 AM
Nyrvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
You're not really that dense are you?

Henrik is like the 16th or 17th player down on the blame list tonight despite giving up two bad goals. We have no chemistry. None. Not a single line is "going." the players don't even know what line they're on!

Henrik was out of sorts tonight but that's not even in the top five reasons why we lost this game.
Really, Henrik was the 16th or 17th reason we lost tonight? Everyone knows Henrik won us a couple games on the road trip, but he was TERRIBLE tonight. The 1st and last goal were just awful goals.

Normally, I'd be willing to blame the offense because they are anemic at times. But this one is clearly on Henrik. This was a game that the offense had to bail out Lundqvist to win the game and they didn't. Who cares? We all know Henrik can be inconsistent (the reason he's never won the vezina,) it's going to happen.

We need to produce more offensively obviously, but like Inferno said, 95 out of 100 times we win this game because Hank makes the saves

Nyrvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 04:21 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by useref15 View Post
I missed the press conferences. What'd Tortorella say? Or, did he pull his usual I'm not taking about this crap. Gawd, I really can't stand Tortorella. His line combinations are laughable.
He said that it was Anisimovs fault that we lost the game.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 04:32 AM
Ola

Quote:

We struggle mostly because we are a very poorly drilled team. There is like no ifs or buts about it.

Like you cannot forecheck if you are chasing the puck in your own end. When we get the puck, we struggle to get it up ice, and often just dumps it deep with no players in position to put pressure on it. No individual can by himself fix that. No forward can artchitecht a transition play. No D can put the forwards in the right spot.

Sure there are other factors. The blueline is undoubtedly weak, or maybe more like vunerable. But like, Torts is sending very poorly drilled teams to the ice night after night after night. Every team we face are these days, 7+ years after the lockout, more and more organized in the transition game. Every team we face are doing a better and better job at managing the puck, getting it up ice, and attacking the blueline with speed instead of first getting it below the hash mark. Thats so hard to defend against these days when you cannot clutch and grab.

But Torts is not. He is living in the pre-lockout world were its all about getting the puck deep first, than taking it to the net. Were games only were lost in the neutralzone and you had nothing to win, and every thing to loose, by making plays with the puck before you got it below the hash marks.

Inferno, I know you think I am biased for some reason against Torts, but I think the above is just so obvious. I don't know what to say.

We will be a hard team to beat sooner rather then later this year. A 6-8th team. No doubt. But thats the standard of the league and the NHL regular season for you. We are not on the right track here in NY under Torts. Not unless he gets a grip and changes his approch. And if he do, do he has a clue of what to do? Do he possess the know-how to play any other way than in his Tampa-prime, pre-lockout, beat-the-trap hockey?

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 06:00 AM
HAPPY HOUR

New year and it looks the same as the past three. Chasing the puck, losing faceoffs and handling the puck like a god damn hand grenade.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 06:16 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

I feel like we've come full circle:

09/10 - Gaborik is beast, everyone else is a no-show

10/11- Gaborik is a no-show, everyone else is beast

11/12 (so far) - Gaborik is back, everyone else is a no-show

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:02 AM
beastly115

Glad I turned off this garbage half way through the 3rd. This pathetic team isn't worth my time.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:40 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Agreed.

Stepan looks to be on his way to having that dreaded sophomore slump.

Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov are strange. Only thing I can think of is that they got paid....
Stepan is getting tons of first/2nd line minutes and first line Power play minutes. He will get the points this year. It is a long 82 game season

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:48 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I expected this kind of start.

Still think this is going to be a good team in the end.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote