HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Injury Update on Backlund

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-27-2011, 09:50 PM
  #1
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,229
vCash: 50
Injury Update on Backlund

As per the Calgary Herald: (sorry I couldn't find the article, but I read it on Rotoworld.com)

Backlund is hoping to return on Nov 3rd against the Red Wings. Great news for the Flames!!


If someone can find the official link please post it!


Last edited by Johnny Hoxville: 10-27-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:26 PM
  #2
WhereIsIt
#gift
 
WhereIsIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,802
vCash: 50
Thank god, only two more games with Moss/BMo/Horak one the first line.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:25 PM
  #3
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,909
vCash: 133
Finally!

Backlund with the hat trick Nov.3

You heard it here first.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:05 AM
  #4
tmurfin
500g1000pts
 
tmurfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,288
vCash: 336
**** yah! Hopefully young Horak can keep it up and stick with the big club as well.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 01:31 AM
  #5
flames123
Registered User
 
flames123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
**** yah! Hopefully young Horak can keep it up and stick with the big club as well.
The way I see it we go with Horak or Stajan. Horak is the better fit but I don't know if having Stajan sent down would be good press or bad CAP management (3 years left). I think we have to keep him and give him a bit of a chance to put up 35 ish points and then maybe someone will take him for 2.5 after the season.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 02:33 AM
  #6
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild
 
FLAMES666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,332
vCash: 50
Great! Sutter has a nice sport for him right between TK and Jackman

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:34 PM
  #7
GoFlames
Registered User
 
GoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Great! Sutter has a nice sport for him right between TK and Jackman
ugh.... likely the first game he will be eased back in. I am fascinated if Horak, Olli and Backlund are all fighting for positions. Olli has been money so far this season as has Horak.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:45 PM
  #8
WhereIsIt
#gift
 
WhereIsIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,802
vCash: 50
I don't follow, none of those three guys are fighting for the same position. Olli is entrenched on the 2nd line, Backlund is destined for the 1st line, Horak is wandering somewhere between the 3rd line and the AHL depending on if he can keep up the good work.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:54 PM
  #9
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,229
vCash: 50
Horak has to stay up, he has been too good and I think the coaching staff realizes this. There has to be a trade in the works, I simply do not see any other way around it. I think Kosto, Moss or Bourque are all those most likely to get dealt. I think Kosto is the most probable to go, probably for a 5th round pick. Of course this could all vary depending on the significance of the deal Feaster has up his sleeves.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:00 PM
  #10
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Horak has to stay up, he has been too good and I think the coaching staff realizes this. There has to be a trade in the works, I simply do not see any other way around it. I think Kosto, Moss or Bourque are all those most likely to get dealt. I think Kosto is the most probable to go, probably for a 5th round pick. Of course this could all vary depending on the significance of the deal Feaster has up his sleeves.
I think Hagman and Bourque go and when Backlund returns I think Morrison will move to the wing.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:55 PM
  #11
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,229
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
I think Hagman and Bourque go and when Backlund returns I think Morrison will move to the wing.
Looking at the projected lineup will us a better idea.

Tangs-Backlund-Iggy
Moss-Jokinen-Glencross
Stempniak-BMO-player x
player x-Horak-Jackman

I would say the listed players are all pretty safe bets to say and that they will not be moved (except for maybe Moss, but I included him to his chemistry on his line). Based on this lineup, we have 4 extra players to fill two spots in Bouque, Hagman, Kosto and Stajan. I'm not sure that either Stajan or Hagman could be traded (or else I'd venture to say that they would already be gone). So I think either Bouque, Moss or Kosto are gonzo. Maybe even Bouque and Moss in the same deal. Giving us a lineup like this.

Tangs-Backlund-Iggy
Stempniak-Jokinen-Glencross
Hagman-Horak-BMO
Kosto-Stajan-Jackman

This isn't even considering whoever we get in return (Kyle *cough* Turris). But I think if you look at the lineups, someone has to be moved out unless Stajan gets sent down the AHL.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 01:39 AM
  #12
UBCsalmonslayer
@2Holmes2
 
UBCsalmonslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver/Nanaimo BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,190
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via AIM to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via MSN to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Yahoo to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Skype™ to UBCsalmonslayer
From what I've seen, Horak has been the best Flame forward the last couple games... and some of you are suggesting he will be sent down to the AHL?

UBCsalmonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 01:48 AM
  #13
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Looking at the projected lineup will us a better idea.

Tangs-Backlund-Iggy
Moss-Jokinen-Glencross
Stempniak-BMO-player x
player x-Horak-Jackman

I would say the listed players are all pretty safe bets to say and that they will not be moved (except for maybe Moss, but I included him to his chemistry on his line). Based on this lineup, we have 4 extra players to fill two spots in Bouque, Hagman, Kosto and Stajan. I'm not sure that either Stajan or Hagman could be traded (or else I'd venture to say that they would already be gone). So I think either Bouque, Moss or Kosto are gonzo. Maybe even Bouque and Moss in the same deal. Giving us a lineup like this.

Tangs-Backlund-Iggy
Stempniak-Jokinen-Glencross
Hagman-Horak-BMO
Kosto-Stajan-Jackman

This isn't even considering whoever we get in return (Kyle *cough* Turris). But I think if you look at the lineups, someone has to be moved out unless Stajan gets sent down the AHL.
I don't think Stajan will be demoted because I don't believe the ownership group wants millions of dollars in the AHL when we aren't a playoff team and have available cap space

I'm not too sure why Sutter isn't playing Stajan though, but its definitely not based on how he has played, so far this season Stajan has been fairly solid. He was generating chances and making solid defensive plays.

Then again if how guys were playing really determined the lineup then Moss would be the one in the pressbox IMO, because he has been utterly useless so far this season. He has no business in the top 6 right now and its sad our coach is too stupid to see that.

As for who and why I see them being moved:

I think we should move Bourque because he will fetch us the best return and I think with Moss & Stempniak he is not needed on the right side. I would deal Bourque in a move to help our future, ideally for a 1st and a good prospect (on the trade board Bruins fans seemed to be on board with a 1st and one of Caron or Sauve).

I think Hagman needs to go, mostly because I feel he has no place on this club anymore. I'd try and trade him for anything, even if its just a 7th, if he can't be moved because of his contract I would waive him and if he clears put him on re-entry waiver, I think for 1.5 million for just this season you will see someone pick up Hagman.

I am also more than willing to move Kostopoulos, but if he goes I think we keep Hagman.

That would leave a forward group like this.

Tanguay / Backlund / Iginla
Glencross / Jokinen / **Stempniak
Morrison / Horak / **Moss
Kostopoulos (or Hagman) / Stajan / Jackman
-** Moss/Stempniak could be flip-flopped based on how they are playing

I am also not against keeping everyone and just demoting Horak until more injuries come, because they will.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 10:56 AM
  #14
Northern Neighbour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,678
vCash: 500
Horak has to stay up with the big club. He's been arguably the team's 2nd-best centre behind Jokinen. His all-around game and creativity are things this team desperately needs.

Stajan doesn't deserve to play. He doesn't offer much to the club right now other than faceoffs. While Horak hasn't been great in the faceoff circle, he kills penalties and is a huge upgrade offensively.

Morrison is also back and he's good in the dot. He can be the team's "specialist" if need be.

When Backlund returns, the lines IMO should be:

Tanguay - Backlund - Iginla
Glencross - Jokinen - Moss
Bourque - Horak - Stempniak
Kostopoulos - Morrison - Jackman

That's three good scoring lines and a solid grinding line.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:46 PM
  #15
saillias
Registered User
 
saillias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,933
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UBCsalmonslayer View Post
From what I've seen, Horak has been the best Flame forward the last couple games... and some of you are suggesting he will be sent down to the AHL?
Welcome to the Flames organization.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 01:31 PM
  #16
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Horak has to stay up with the big club. He's been arguably the team's 2nd-best centre behind Jokinen. His all-around game and creativity are things this team desperately needs.

Stajan doesn't deserve to play. He doesn't offer much to the club right now other than faceoffs. While Horak hasn't been great in the faceoff circle, he kills penalties and is a huge upgrade offensively.

Morrison is also back and he's good in the dot. He can be the team's "specialist" if need be.

When Backlund returns, the lines IMO should be:

Tanguay - Backlund - Iginla
Glencross - Jokinen - Moss
Bourque - Horak - Stempniak
Kostopoulos - Morrison - Jackman

That's three good scoring lines and a solid grinding line.
Stajan kills penalties too, in fact he was excellent on the PK against the Penguins, then for some god forsaken reason Butter stopped using him after that game on the PK when he was one of the few that wasn't on the ice for a PP Goal against.

Stajan is solid defensively, he also was creating a ton of chances that his linemates couldn't bury. Then of course there is the faceoffs.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 02:40 PM
  #17
Northern Neighbour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
Stajan kills penalties too, in fact he was excellent on the PK against the Penguins, then for some god forsaken reason Butter stopped using him after that game on the PK when he was one of the few that wasn't on the ice for a PP Goal against.

Stajan is solid defensively, he also was creating a ton of chances that his linemates couldn't bury. Then of course there is the faceoffs.
Horak does more for the team right now, he's younger, and he's a much higher upside. He's easily outplayed Stajan so far, so why demote Horak at the expensive of playing a low-skilled, overpaid veteran? It makes no sense.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 03:27 PM
  #18
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,229
vCash: 50
Stajan actually has been pretty decent so far this season, however he's last on the depth chart.

Backlund > Stajan
Jokinen > Stajan
Horak > Stajan
BMO > Stajan

He needs to be moved off of this team somehow, someway. I think we can trade him, but we would need to take some salary back. Maybe we can trade him to Dallas for Pardy.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 08:39 AM
  #19
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Horak does more for the team right now, he's younger, and he's a much higher upside. He's easily outplayed Stajan so far, so why demote Horak at the expensive of playing a low-skilled, overpaid veteran? It makes no sense.
I never suggested demoting Horak. If you read up a few posts I have him as a 3rd line center and Stajan as the 4th. I also suggested in the GDT that maybe we could play Horak and Stajan together on the 4th line. I am also suggesting moving Bourque (because he will get a good return) and one of Hagman or Kostopolous

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:38 AM
  #20
Northern Neighbour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
I never suggested demoting Horak. If you read up a few posts I have him as a 3rd line center and Stajan as the 4th. I also suggested in the GDT that maybe we could play Horak and Stajan together on the 4th line. I am also suggesting moving Bourque (because he will get a good return) and one of Hagman or Kostopolous
If Bourque is moved and the team doesn't acquire a forward in return, then Stajan likely moves into the lineup. But since Bourque is still with the team (and I expect him to remain a Flame for a little longer), the lines I posted address the current situation with a healthy Backlund, which means Stajan remains a healthy scratch.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 03:13 PM
  #21
GoFlames
Registered User
 
GoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Stajan actually has been pretty decent so far this season, however he's last on the depth chart.

Backlund > Stajan
Jokinen > Stajan
Horak > Stajan
BMO > Stajan

He needs to be moved off of this team somehow, someway. I think we can trade him, but we would need to take some salary back. Maybe we can trade him to Dallas for Pardy.
or to New York for Prust

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 01:18 AM
  #22
Qubax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,982
vCash: 500
On ESPN fantasy hockey there is news bubble indicating that Backlund is aiming for a mid-November return....

...I was under the impression he was returning for the Nov 3rd game.

Does anyone have any confirmation on when he's back?

Thanks...

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 02:33 AM
  #23
tmurfin
500g1000pts
 
tmurfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,288
vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax View Post
On ESPN fantasy hockey there is news bubble indicating that Backlund is aiming for a mid-November return....

...I was under the impression he was returning for the Nov 3rd game.

Does anyone have any confirmation on when he's back?

Thanks...
Doubt it, yesterday he said on his twitter 1-2 weeks

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 09:53 AM
  #24
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,693
vCash: 50
And the Rotowire update from Sunday agrees:
Quote:
Backlund (finger) is shooting for a return in mid-November, the Calgary Sun reports.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 02:25 PM
  #25
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,229
vCash: 50
As long as he gets back soon, having him in the lineup changes the dynamic of this team.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.