HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Madison Square Garden Renovations (Part Three)

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2011, 11:53 PM
nyrmetros

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by useref15 View Post
This absolutely sucked! I left to get chicken fingers with 3:00 to go in the first period, and I didn't get into my seat until 6 minues were left in the 2nd. How do you have one floor only with food? Everybody I heard was complaining saying how horrible this was. It just doesn't make sense how they positioned the concessions. You have lines that seriously take up the whole concourse.

And, to see these workers try and get through these crowds with a cart was quite amusing. They were getting really pissed, and the people that I were in line with wouldn't let him through. So, you know what he did? He legit pushed the cart over everyones foot and just keep walking. Pretty ridiculous.

The concourse that they renovated is pretty comical. It's like they didn't think how they placed the concessions. The chicken finger line was smack in the middle of the concourse and wrapped around behind the ice cream counter.

At least I missed the 2nd period where they played like absolute crap. I must say...I am not a fan of the place.
Fault #1 was leaving the game to get chicken fingers... How much were they?

Fault #2 was not eating before the game.

Old
10-27-2011, 11:55 PM
useref15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
Fault #1 was leaving the game to get chicken fingers... How much were they?

Fault #2 was not eating before the game.

$9.75

And, yeah you're right...but I was looking forward to the chicken fingers and fries. Ranch 1 is the best, though.

Old
10-27-2011, 11:57 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

As for my thoughts, the arena is nice. 6th floor concourse is very spacious and I like that there's different team stores as opposed to just two.

I didn't like the fact that there was basically no food options on the 6th floor. It seemed like there was nothing open and that it was just a walkway. Also as I said, they gotta fix the metal railings at the bottom of the lower bowl. It's distracting to everyone from people watching at home, to people sitting in the first row of the lower bowl, all the way up to me sitting in the 400's.

I went through the new 300's and it seems like a cool area though there aren't many food options there either. Seemed like just beer and popcorn.

Haven't checked out the west balcony yet though from people I've talked to, that's the area they enjoyed the most. Obviously I couldn't check out the Delta Club or anything like that since the peasants aren't allowed down there. Thankfully they allow you down for warmups still (something I was worried about), you just can't go to where the event level suites are which was expected.

Old
10-28-2011, 12:05 AM
nyrmetros

I was up on the west balcony before the game and I have no intentions on ever sitting there in those glass enclosed cubes... Stick me in the blueseats....

Old
10-28-2011, 12:31 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Other minor notes for anyone that cares. The press now sit on the 8th avenue end of the new 300's (a lot of people probably noticed that). The concession stand behind 405 was closed tonight, not sure if it will be open or not going forward. And the radio guys were moved up to the press row below the 400's on the penalty boxes side. Rangers radio was in front of 406, visiting teams radio in front of 405.

Old
10-28-2011, 12:31 AM
coatjones
Debauchery #1

Send a message via AIM to coatjones
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
I was up on the west balcony before the game and I have no intentions on ever sitting there in those glass enclosed cubes... Stick me in the blueseats....
No but I like the foot stools. Does anyone know if they are tickets? or just the "enclosed cube seats"?

Old
10-28-2011, 01:19 AM
mti79

vCash: 50
My complaint is that I left section 310 after the 2nd period to go check out the store. I had to go down a level to check it out, no big deal. I saw the new concourse and was like "wow... this looks pretty nice. I can't wait to see the finished product." Went to the store, looked at all the overpriced merchandise and attempted to go back to my seat.

That was a cluster F to say the least. I went up the nearest stairs and was on the wrong side of the building. Asked an usher who told me that they didn't know and that I should ask someone else. Awesome. Wound up walking through a section I probably shouldn't have and then down through section 304 or 305 before walking in front of the 300's instead of in the hallway back to my section. There were no directions at all or if there were, we didn't see them.

Old
10-28-2011, 06:23 AM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Can someone please post a photo of the so-called cages or metal bars that people said they saw in the lower bowl on TV? They were not obvious at the arena where I was sitting.

Old
10-28-2011, 07:38 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroob View Post
How can that be? There will be unique food stalls as well as the team store on that level. They going to turn away customers?

Full blame to the savages they hire as employees. Worst food servers in the city, by far.
Problem was in the kitchen. Food was not coming out fast enough. Probably not enough fryers or whatever.

Overall I have never been thrilled with food staff at MSG, but there are also many who are both courteous and quick. And I make sure to tip them. But last nights problems were not caused by slow servers. The organization was just unprepared. poor management.

Servers are most likely a min wage job. What do you think you will get for skill level?

10-28-2011, 07:52 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Other minor notes for anyone that cares. The press now sit on the 8th avenue end of the new 300's (a lot of people probably noticed that). The concession stand behind 405 was closed tonight, not sure if it will be open or not going forward. And the radio guys were moved up to the press row below the 400's on the penalty boxes side. Rangers radio was in front of 406, visiting teams radio in front of 405.
Annother way of saying that is that visiting radio was at the top of 308. we were "treated" to the Toronto play by play throughout the game. Actually he was a pretty nice guy and talked to us between periods.

Old
10-28-2011, 07:53 AM
Traderalways

Terrible game.. I sit in section 409... It definitely looks as though sections 410 through 418 will be eliminated... I think those season ticket holders are going to catch a huge break.... U will probably be relocated between the goals in the new 400's....

Old
10-28-2011, 07:56 AM
peterrod16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
Can someone please post a photo of the so-called cages or metal bars that people said they saw in the lower bowl on TV? They were not obvious at the arena where I was sitting.
here you go.
You can see the metal railing at the bottom

Last edited by peterrod16: 02-04-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old
10-28-2011, 08:08 AM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
well here's my thoughts..

walked in last night and walked into the 6th floor concourse.. i liked it, very nice and well done. no stands were open though. only 4 food stands served anything other then hot dogs and the lines were ridiculous and blocking the concourse.. there were stands everywhere though and once they are open i think that problem will be alleviated.

as we were walking around the 6th floor concourse, there was a leak right thru the ceiling.. horrible haha

all in all with the 6th floor, once more stands open eevrything will be a lot better and the concourse was a lot wider

7th floor is a mess, cant buy anything other than hot dogs.. that sucks. the end 300's on the 8th floor was a really cool vantage point to see a game from. too many tvs in the first row of those though. they would have been better placed if they were next to the speakers above the seats. once the concessions open back there it will be a lot better too.

400's only one concession stand was open behind me and it was packed all night. it was very tight by the escalator towers too. the west balcony vantage point was cool. bar stool seats are awesome and i definitely want to watch a game from there. no bathrooms up there yet though. definitely bad. only 2 stands open too with long lines. there will be a few more though soon. again, once those are open it will be a lot better.

all in all, things sucked last night and the 7th and 9th floors wont be any better this year.. but once the stands start opening up on the 6th floor and west balcony things will improve. i do have to say though, once this place is done the arena is going to be awesome.

Old
10-28-2011, 08:12 AM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderalways View Post
Terrible game.. I sit in section 409... It definitely looks as though sections 410 through 418 will be eliminated... I think those season ticket holders are going to catch a huge break.... U will probably be relocated between the goals in the new 400's....
I sit in 412....wait wait, why do you think we will end up in center, I don't want to be stuck behind a bridge!! Im calling my rep now and seeing what they say.

Old
10-28-2011, 08:15 AM
Traderalways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
I sit in 412....wait wait, why do you think we will end up in center, I don't want to be stuck behind a bridge!! Im calling my rep now and seeing what they say.
I don't know if they will give you center 400's.... But u will probably be in the back rows of a 400 section between the goals...

Old
10-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

The so-called "transformation" is about 30% done IMO. And that 30% is in an area where most of us probably don't sit.

Of the other 70% of the arena, about 20% of that is basically "under contruction" of the "pardon our appearance" nature.

80% of the concession stands are "coming soon", in Nov, Dec (supposedly).

The major inconvenience was in the lack of food being ready. I think most of us were expecting to be able to sample some of the food they have been hyping. I know I didn't eat before the game because I thouhgt I was going to get tor try something new and better than a hot dog,or some warmed-over burger. Tacquito Dogs are not what I had in mind, nor was the "chicken & fries", though that turned out to be the only alternative to a hot dog, and the stands were quickly overwhelmed.

So this was not any sort of grand opening last night by any stretch of the imagination. The 6th floor Madison Concourse looks promising, with plenty of preium beers and mixed drink options. But food was sorely lacking. 7th concessions were a joke.

Old
10-28-2011, 08:44 AM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Quote:
I don't know if they will give you center 400's.... But u will probably be in the back rows of a 400 section between the goals...

Great, I'm gonna have a bridge in my face.

Old
10-28-2011, 08:46 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I sat in 301 last night. Fold out chairs. When I got there I was a little annoyed because I didn't want to sit in foldouts for the night. But, the seats and section were the only good part of the night. TV's at your feet. Got to see all the replays, which worked out good. The view was excellent. And per the amt of seats there is a pretty big oipen area there so inbetween periods that is going to be a good place to hang.

The Negatives :
Everthing was completely overpriced. To the point of rediculous! I've paid lesser money for a beer in Flashdancers than I did in the new garden!

Nothing works. No running water in the bathrooms? Really? What was worse was thelevel of filth. How about black mold in the bathroom? WTF?

No bar...I miss the Irish bar at gate 60. That was a great place to hang.

Getting around anywhere inbetween periods. Certainly not like is used to be. There was no flow at all. People were waiting so long for food that the lines were all backed up and the crowds of people moving through had no way to get around other than walk through the lines of people waiting. No good.

Old
10-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterrod16 View Post
here you go.
You can see the metal railing at the bottom
OK, I see what you mean.

I don't know how much they can do about these since those railings look to be part of the way the seating is "expanded" for other events. It's made to look worse due to the angle of the camera and the overall structure of the arena, i.e. still not built for hockey.

Old
10-28-2011, 08:50 AM
skroob**

Quote:
NOT a huge break. I like the end seats. Its the players view. Its how i have grown to see the game. Sitting in a corner or on the side is annoying. its not seeing the game the right way. Its a distorted view.

Old
10-28-2011, 08:53 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
In your case, maybe, but a booth with 3 animals working it, and all they sell is popcorn, pretzels, and drinks, you think you can do better than 1 customer in 3 minutes (yes, i timed it).

And its not about "its just a min wage job". Have you ever gone into a food spot in midtown during the lunch rush? Sandwich shops, mcdonalds, deli/salad bars, chipolte, etc. They can all move a line of 100 people in 5 minutes. What is stopping the MSG crew? They basically have a 3 hour work shift, they can hustle a bit.
Yeah, actually that is a great point skroob. You're right. MSG needs to do a much better job of training and supervising the crews.

Old
10-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Quote:
NOT a huge break. I like the end seats. Its the players view. Its how i have grown to see the game. Sitting in a corner or on the side is annoying. its not seeing the game the right way. Its a distorted view.
I agree, and I love my seats in 412, and I won't be blocked by a bridge. I emailed my rep, waiting for an answer. I love how they leave out oh btw your seats won't exist next year.

Old
10-28-2011, 08:55 AM
bubba5

The arena stunk and so did the Rangers. Perfect for each other.

Old
10-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Traderalways

Quote:
Maybe you can relocate to end 300's...

Old
10-28-2011, 09:00 AM
Traderalways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
I agree, and I love my seats in 412, and I won't be blocked by a bridge. I emailed my rep, waiting for an answer. I love how they leave out oh btw your seats won't exist next year.
In 412 now it's tough to see everything in the near zone... I'm sure u have to lean forward.... Let us know what the rep says about the future of the sectioh

Closed Thread