Notices

Traveling to Winnipeg for road trip 1/11-1/13

Old
10-28-2011, 05:49 AM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
I'll be at the sharks game, send me a PM and I'll buy you guys a beer at the game!

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:17 AM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

vCash: 500
The Fort Garry Hotel or The Fairmont are great places to stay, but if looking to go cheaper, try the Clarion by Polo Park, and if your going to go shopping go to Polo Park, biggest mall in Manitoba, and the forks is pretty cool too.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:26 AM
Andy6
Court Jetster

Just be prepared for cold like you've never experienced before. Coastal Alaska is rarely as cold as Winnipeg in January. The Forks is more picturesque than the other hotels, although you will be taking a short cab ride from there unless you're adventurous enough to tough it out for the 12-15 minute walk. But you'll enjoy yourselves and it will be a unique experience.

Andy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:39 AM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

Wouldn't suggest renting a car unless you have plenty of winter driving experience. Especially in Winnipeg where drivers tend to have no patience on the road.

A peeler is a stripper. Not sure if you've ever seen a stripper in Canada but they get completely naked. But save it for a trip to Montreal to do that kind of stuff. Winnipeg is a better visit to mingle among the locals. Californians I'm sure would get celebrity treatment.

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:51 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Here is what you need to know if you're from Cali and you plan to visit Winnipeg in the midst of winter: Thinsulate.

Buy a ski/snowboard jacket insulated with Thinsulate or one of the copycat clothing insulation products. Buy a higher end jacket that features taped seams. I prefer Helly Hansen stuff but Burton and others make good mid-priced jackets as well.

http://www.hellyhansen.com/

Dress in layers.

Buy a lined toque...

A scarf will help as well, as will lined gloves/mitts. Did I mention you should also dress in layers?

Don't bother renting a car, a cab will do. Stay at the Fairmont.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:21 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Hey Brian I have two tickets for the game that I can free up and I would be happy to have you and your cousin as my guests. The tickets are P1's so you would be sitting closer to the ice if that is something you are interested in? from what I can tell though the nosebleeds (as you said) have some really fun fans and there are no bad seats in the MTS centre so it depends on what type of game day experience you are after. Either way you could flip your tickets and it would defer the cost of the trip a bit and add to your drinking budget.

get ready to answer this question allot "you travelled here from where in January"???

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:31 AM
AirShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarSugar View Post
The Forks is a totally walkable distance to MTS Centre -- about a 15 minute walk for me, even with my stubby little legs. In the cold that can suck, but bundle up (or stop in at Earl's on Main Street for a bevvy or two on the way) and you're fine. It's probably a $6 cab ride.

The Radisson and the Delta just happen to be in the adjoining block to MTS Centre. Other options within walking distance of MTS Centre, if you're price shopping, include the Place Louis Riel (http://www.placelouisriel.com/) and the Humphry Inn (http://www.humphryinn.com/) on Main Street. There are some other downtown hotels that I wouldn't recommend, so if you want to stick close to the MTS Centre any of those five will do ya.
It looks like Inn at The Forks is the overall champion so far

AirShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:32 AM
AirShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by OthmarAmmann View Post
Re airfare - it's about half the price to fly to Grand Forks ND a drive from there. It's about a two hour drive though, so it could be a bit long for a short trip.
Yikes. I think for our short trip, I'd rather just pay to get dropped off right there in Winnipeg :-) Plus we're not really snow drivers.....

Old
10-28-2011, 09:34 AM
AirShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I would definitely suggest staying at Inn at the Forks. The Forks is the most "happening" place during the winter (and summer). Taking a cab to and from the game should be no problem. Knowing Winnipeggers, you could probably find someone on this Board who would be happy to pick you up and drive you to the game.

Winnipeg has great restaurants. A colleague of mine who moved from Toronto via Vancouver raves about the quality --- says he's never had a bad meal in Winnipeg.
I'm with you....thinking a cab sounds nicer for a couple of non-snow drivers from California. Plus I think we'll actually save money in the end.

Old
10-28-2011, 09:34 AM
AirShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
I'll be at the sharks game, send me a PM and I'll buy you guys a beer at the game!
Done and DONE!

Old
10-28-2011, 09:36 AM
AirShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Just be prepared for cold like you've never experienced before. Coastal Alaska is rarely as cold as Winnipeg in January. The Forks is more picturesque than the other hotels, although you will be taking a short cab ride from there unless you're adventurous enough to tough it out for the 12-15 minute walk. But you'll enjoy yourselves and it will be a unique experience.
One of my friends has been up there, he told me last night to bring a light Sabre and a Ton-Ton to stay warm lol

Old
10-28-2011, 09:37 AM
AirShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Here is what you need to know if you're from Cali and you plan to visit Winnipeg in the midst of winter: Thinsulate.

Buy a ski/snowboard jacket insulated with Thinsulate or one of the copycat clothing insulation products. Buy a higher end jacket that features taped seams. I prefer Helly Hansen stuff but Burton and others make good mid-priced jackets as well.

http://www.hellyhansen.com/

Dress in layers.

Buy a lined toque...

A scarf will help as well, as will lined gloves/mitts. Did I mention you should also dress in layers?

Don't bother renting a car, a cab will do. Stay at the Fairmont.
Thanks for the tips....looks like I have some shopping to do! Also, I love that for whatever reason, under your name it says you're a "Spleen Merchant"

Old
10-28-2011, 09:40 AM
AirShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Hey Brian I have two tickets for the game that I can free up and I would be happy to have you and your cousin as my guests. The tickets are P1's so you would be sitting closer to the ice if that is something you are interested in? from what I can tell though the nosebleeds (as you said) have some really fun fans and there are no bad seats in the MTS centre so it depends on what type of game day experience you are after. Either way you could flip your tickets and it would defer the cost of the trip a bit and add to your drinking budget.

get ready to answer this question allot "you travelled here from where in January"???
Wow. You would do that for a couple of strangers? PM on it's way!

Old
10-28-2011, 09:51 AM
AirShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorsedge View Post
Wouldn't suggest renting a car unless you have plenty of winter driving experience. Especially in Winnipeg where drivers tend to have no patience on the road.

A peeler is a stripper. Not sure if you've ever seen a stripper in Canada but they get completely naked. But save it for a trip to Montreal to do that kind of stuff. Winnipeg is a better visit to mingle among the locals. Californians I'm sure would get celebrity treatment.
Ahhh..yes that makes sense now lol. Thanks :-) Never seen a stripper in Canada, though the laws vary from state to state down here. Some take it all off, some don't depending on where you are. Alas, my strip club days are just a memory what with the wife and kids at home and all. That's the story I'm sticking to.

Old
10-28-2011, 09:56 AM
The Brain

This is what I love about this city... someone asks a question about visiting, and everyone becomes a tour guide.

Almost every recommendation I had reading the OP has been said. I was going to throw a vote behind the Radisson, and it's right next door. (Stayed there once, great hotel).There are numerous drinking/eating establishments within stone's throw of the arena so if you're near-by you won't have an issue with that.

As for airfare... curious who you are flying with for that price? An American carrier, I assume? Like someone suggested, look into one of the trip package sites. Also, I'd recommend checking WestJet. Pretty sure they fly to California, and tend to have the best rates around here. Frequent seat sales.

Lastly, as everyone has said, layer up. Winter gear is pricey though, and if you're only here for a couple days you're best bet might be to slum it up a little and find a second hand type place to stock up on jackets and sweaters. Not the best look, but you'll be warm, and you'll keep your wallet padded. Whoever said -10 in January might be a little optimistic.

The Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:04 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirShark View Post
The good news is bigplay41 sits right by us so you won't have to go far to collect on the beer offer!!

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:10 AM
ICdave
HFB Partner

This thread is why the licence plate says 'Friendly Manitoba'. A lot of good suggestions by everyone.

These are old stock but I'd be happy to throw you guys a couple of IC touques to help keep you warm.

ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:41 AM
Karnalsyn

Quote:
Ok, I'll bite: What's a peeler?
Peeler is another term for stripper. And lucky for you, Solid Gold is a 5min walk from the MTS center.

Karnalsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:53 AM
bazaaa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
Quote:

Guys, I'll be in from San Jose too

bazaaa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:01 AM
Jason Horsman

Quote:
Dude, the people of Winnipeg (well, most of them) are one of the best selling points of the city. I was born in Winnipeg, moved away, come back to visit fam and friends. One of the few large cities you can go to and find genuine good people to party with after a few bevvies with and shoot the crap with.

You and your cousin should embed yourself with a platoon of Jets fans (preferably with the under 40 crowd for the sake of spontaneity) and enjoy the atmosphere, the hockey, the people and the partying.

And don't worry about -30 C...it's a dry cold.

Jason Horsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Jason Horsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnalsyn View Post
Peeler is another term for stripper. And lucky for you, Solid Gold is a 5min walk from the MTS center.
Canadian strippers begin and end in Montreal. They get all the European women there. Only place where I found the strippers to be hotter than any of the women in the clubs.

Jason Horsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Villert

vCash: 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazaaa View Post
Guys, I'll be in from San Jose too
Too much CK going on with you... at least that's who it looks like. I can't be sure without clicking and zooming in, which I refuse to do.

Villert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:24 AM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
Bryan,

Glad you chose Winnipeg.

Inn at the Forks is definitely the best choice. If you want to try your hand at skating or snowshoeing, you can access the river path day or night from the hotel (it is lighted and has warming huts). There are also restaurants and pubs within walking distance - even if it is cold.

Beware of exaggerators on this (and other) boards. It will be cold, but probably more like +12 to -12 degrees Fahrenheit range, not -40. And Winnipeggers aren't aggressive drivers - should you chose to rent a car. Some folks carry the preconceived notion that all drivers around them are aggressive, and Winnipeggers are no exception. However, the reality is the cold weather and snow keeps everyone fairly humble on the roads, at least more so than in heavier populated areas.

And speaking of car rental, consider it if you are going to be here for a few days. Taking a taxi to/from the airport, to/from the games, and to/from any extra activities (snowmobiling was mentioned) will start to add up. I'm sure you've considered that.

Best of luck planning and enjoy.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:36 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
Beware of exaggerators on this (and other) boards. It will be cold, but probably more like +12 to -12 degrees Fahrenheit range, not -40.
To clarify, I personally suggested warm clothing because to someone from San Jose even -12 is freaking cold, and would rather have a visitor to our city not have their experience be defined solely by the weather.

Again, speaking personally, if their visit is limited to a game and downtown, a taxi is the more logical choice. This city and even the commute to and from the airport is not comparable to that of a major US metro area; the total lack of any major expressway commuting here makes cabs more economical as long as the visit is limited to the metro area.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:19 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:

nicely done PS.

make sure you let us all know when you arrive....a collective pre or post game beverage is in order for sure.

peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote