HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

3 Stars & GBR: Game 08 vs. Toronto Maple Leafs

View Poll Results: 3 Stars?
Brian Boyle 0 0%
Ryan Callahan 5 8.93%
Michael Del Zotto 14 25.00%
Brandon Dubinsky 1 1.79%
Tim Erixon 1 1.79%
Ruslan Fedotenko 3 5.36%
Marian Gaborik 37 66.07%
Dan Girardi 33 58.93%
Henrik Lundqvist 1 1.79%
Ryan McDonagh 5 8.93%
Brandon Prust 1 1.79%
Brad Richards 1 1.79%
Michael Sauer 20 35.71%
Derek Stepan 0 0%
Other 7 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-28-2011, 08:06 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Stepan is getting tons of first/2nd line minutes and first line Power play minutes. He will get the points this year. It is a long 82 game season
and he's done nothing with the time he's been gifted so far

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:14 AM
jreach

Hank had a bad game, but what is really disappointing is this team never bails him out.

Also I can't understand the need to have all 4 lines dump and chase. If you want the bottom two lines to grind it out in the corner I'm all for it but our top two lines should be creating off the rush.

jreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
As much as this season has been a disappointment so far, there are some tlgood things we should take on from it. Gaborik and Richards seem to have chemistry, Henke is a brickwall for the most part, McD is becoming a great player right before our eyes, and countless other things that may seem small compared to the issues they are having but are actually very important.

Just wait, this team has hit a rough spot but I really believe that they are going to turn it around. I am almost positive that they are going to find their groove and start dominating play. That first period shows that they are capable of being a dangerous team offensively.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:36 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
The officials' impact on the game was minimal, really.
I don't disagree, but I'll throw this out there.

They were having success playing a hard-nosed game down in the crease. Creating screens. Looking for redirects and rebounds. I didn't see much more of that after the 2nd goal was waved off. Arguably, they altered the game strategy based on the way the game was being called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Frankly if im torts right now, i'd bench a core guy to send a message to the team that this level of play is unacceptable.

Not sure who...Dubi is pretty close to asking for it based on his play and his numbers....AA is an easy target, but im not sure that sends the message you want.
Honestly, the (2) Anisimov turnovers that lead to goals were egregious. The Erixon-Eminger pairing was also a horror show, but we shouldn't have to focus on the defensive failures.

The real issue continues to be puck possession, passing accuracy, shot selection and, in general, an inability to simply get into the offensive zone and do anything. I just don't get it. It's like everyone panics when they get the puck. No one looks loose or confident.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:03 AM
ak10r
HFBoards Sponsor

This last two or three seasons we had great starts….. at least we know this year will be different. We have the right parts but they need to work together.

Gabbi is looking great, Richards is looking great, Hank is looking great, Girardi is looking great, Feds is looking great…. Just not together. That, I think will come soon.

I don’t get the Calli is a POS and not trying…. The guy is busting his arse, taking shots and crashing the net. I don’t see him coasting or playing safe and comfortable.

DZ should have had 2 goals last night, he is playing physical. He is still like what 20? **** people cut him a little slack. D e v e l o p m e n t………

Prust seems a little sloppy at times but still has a lion’s heart and a set the size of grapefruits…. Love him…..

Dibi is defiantly off to start the season…. But to say he’s a lazy POS is not correct.

AA I think has such potential but I can’t figure what it would take to get it to show itself in games. I’ve been waiting for a breakout year for three years…. Still think it will happen.

I too think this is a great team, just not firing on all cylinders. I’m still looking forward to the season….. and the playoffs…..

ak10r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:21 AM
eco's bones

Henrik made some fantastic saves but all 4 goals were stoppable IMO. Not a good game for him.

The referees weren't doing us any favors either. Not just the goals called back but a couple of those penalties were just ridiculous.

That being said--after the first period the Rangers were outplayed all over the ice. Couldn't maintain forecheck. Didn't connect on passes. Stopped pressuring the other teams net. The way they played they didn't really deserve to win.

I'll mention the 'We want Avery' chant. We're past 5 games into the season and Sean is still not forgotten. The team doesn't have much spark at this point. It's as if the crowd were targeting the coach and the decision he made to keep Christensen--who is doing nothing. Wolski is not playing well either. I'll add this Erixon is not ready IMO. Both he and MDZ have strength issues. They don't control the front of the net. They're overpowered in the corners. Eminger is not particularly strong either. The team misses Staal a lot.

EC should be waived. Erixon should be in Hartford.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
I do not know the cause. I do know that the players are not playing in a manner that allows them to play to their ability. It is not natural for players such as Brad Richards and Marian Gaboriki to have such poor results.

Something is very wrong.
Are you Larry Brooks? Or do you work for MSG? Cause they have the same problem.

Seriously though, look at like 10 transition plays in a row made by like a Sid, Malkin and Letang-less Pittsburg and compare it with 10 transition plays made by a Torts coached NYR.

There is a tremendous diffrence in strategy. At all costs, we just want to get the puck up ice, away from our end, through the neutral zone, and down deep. Than we start to worry what we do. Often the player we have the furthest up ice is at the redline while a D on the other team fetches the puck (yeah, it must really be lack of energy that our forecheckers can't pin the other team down when they have a zone and a half head start lol).

The cause is extremely simple to evalute. We play pre-lockout hockey in the post lockout NHL. Nowadays, if you give the puck away, odds are that you have to defend for 30 sec. Right? We can all agree on that I guess. If you loose the puck, its hard to stop the other team right away.

Was that the case before the lockout. Funny thing, NJD won 3 cups with a strategy were they gave the puck away and just sat back. It was the complete opposite. You could stop the other team right away most of the time. The only thing that mattered was that you did not make any misstakes in the neutral zone.

In that era, Torts had success. He managed to get his team to just not make any plays in the neutral zone, just get the puck deep ASAP and take it from there. It worked then.

Guess what, its not working anymore. This guy managed to coach a pretty talented Tampa team into finnishing DEAD LAST IN THE ENTIRE NHL just before he came here. Telling.

From like 95' to 04' we wasted 9 years trying to win in the trapping era by playing EDM in the 80's type of hockey lol. Now this?????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????+

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:39 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I'm seeing "rock bottom" being thrown out there... Del Zotto had 18 turnovers? Naming certain players as trade bait, etc.... Disappointing game for sure but it's 8 games into the season! 8 games doesn't make or break a team.... Talk to me when it's 20 games into the season and you still see the same product out on the ice....
Well throw out the extremes on both sides and that's where you'll find the rational concerns that this team can't play more than 20 minutes a night.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
You're not really that dense are you?

Henrik is like the 16th or 17th player down on the blame list tonight despite giving up two bad goals. We have no chemistry. None. Not a single line is "going." the players don't even know what line they're on!

Henrik was out of sorts tonight but that's not even in the top five reasons why we lost this game.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
You're not really that dense are you?

Henrik is like the 16th or 17th player down on the blame list tonight despite giving up two bad goals. We have no chemistry. None. Not a single line is "going." the players don't even know what line they're on!

Henrik was out of sorts tonight but that's not even in the top five reasons why we lost this game.
Two bad goals? How about four? He made great saves, including the two breakaways, but in my opinion, he was by far the worst player last night.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." — -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i do wonder just how much the loss of the Yaroslavl team has effected AA and his mindset. he just looks completely lost out there.

Old
10-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Two bad goals? How about four? He made great saves, including the two breakaways, but in my opinion, he was by far the worst player last night.
yep. we can talk about the offense playing like crap, we can talk about AA being a complete and utter failure this year so far. we can talk about if the C is effecting Callys play, we can talk about the loss of Marc Staal to the team and its mindset. but only a homer of epic proportions could sit back and watch last nights game, and not put it squarely on the shoulders of Henrik Lundqvist. Period. he has to play better than that. I dont care if the offense is clicking or not, if your goalie cant stop 50 foot wristers, you wont win. you have games like the Flyers vs the Thrash...err...Jets where its a 9-8 loss, but a loss nonetheless. Henrik has to play better than that.

Now, im not saying he has to be his usual damn near inhuman self. You can't expect that. Its not like those goals were picture perfect 1 timers off of a backdoor thread the needle pass. No, all 4 of those goals should be stopped by a goalie in the NHL. All 4 of those goals should be stopped by a backup goalie in the ECHL.

Henrik had a bad night. I still love the guy, i still believe he is EASILY one of the greatest goalies in the universe, and that includes Jarznak of Trelvdor 6. But still, he had a bad game, and cost the team a win.

Old
10-28-2011, 12:33 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Wait a minute, you called HIM a homer and say that Hank is as good as Jarznak? Ridiculous. . Seriously though, I agree. If hank stops even two of the goals (the macarthur wrister from the point definitely and the one where lupul somehow got it under his arm are the two that jump out to me), its at least a 2-2 game at the end of regulation. Then again, if the goal that shouldve been allowed was, its a 3-2 game and MDZ isn't a whipping boy for tonight. Can't deal in what ifs, I expect Hank will bounce back, but I'm still waiting for everyone else to even show up. I know it will happen, and we're definitely a playoff team, but I really want us to start showing up now, not later. For a comparison, look at the Sharks of last year. IIRC they had a very slow start and then turned on the jets right before the all star break and never looked back.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Wait a minute, you called HIM a homer and say that Hank is as good as Jarznak? Ridiculous. . Seriously though, I agree. If hank stops even two of the goals (the macarthur wrister from the point definitely and the one where lupul somehow got it under his arm are the two that jump out to me), its at least a 2-2 game at the end of regulation. Then again, if the goal that shouldve been allowed was, its a 3-2 game and MDZ isn't a whipping boy for tonight. Can't deal in what ifs, I expect Hank will bounce back, but I'm still waiting for everyone else to even show up. I know it will happen, and we're definitely a playoff team, but I really want us to start showing up now, not later. For a comparison, look at the Sharks of last year. IIRC they had a very slow start and then turned on the jets right before the all star break and never looked back.
yeah, i really shoulda thought that one out a little more :-x

Old
10-28-2011, 12:48 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Eh, I don't think he was the worst player last night. He certainly wasn't good and it was HIS worst night, but I think he was bottom 3 or bottom 5. Not the worst, though.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:56 PM
SherWood Lumber 76

Hiya,

Just wanted to say I don't blame Hank at all. Sitting watching his offense try to create all night could drive any goalie to unusual mistakes, IMO.

Truthfully, as a longtime fan, was excited for this year than most, but my first thoughts are that this team is handcuffed by Tortarellas overbearing coaching efforts as it is by the lack of offensive punch. Gonna be a long season, Hank is the least of the teams concerns.

SherWood Lumber 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 01:24 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I expected this kind of start.

Still think this is going to be a good team in the end.
Me too.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote