HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rivalries, Boston Bruins and the return of the Nordiques

Old
10-27-2011, 10:12 PM
Vinc360

vCash: 500
Rivalries, Boston Bruins and the return of the Nordiques

I was watching the game tonight and it's really obvious that the Boston-Montreal rivalry is becoming more and more intense over the last few years... I was wondering if you guys thought the rivalry will be as intense with the new team in Quebec city assuming they ever return?

Personally, I think I'd be pretty excited to see a second team in Quebec since it would create some competition for the Habs and they might try harder... I'd follow the team as much as I can too, but I think the general enthusiasm would make it hard to have an instant revival of the old rivalry... it seems like the medias would try to "force" some type of rivalry for maximum profit... what do you think?

Vinc360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:46 PM
NikolaiTesla*
This team is waffle!

Outside opinion:

You put a team in Quebec, and the rivalry will re-create itself. Those Hab/Nordiques games were great.

NikolaiTesla* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 01:22 AM
Mynameismark*

Habs and Bruins will always be number one simply because of the history there and true hatred. I mean, they hate each other and there doesnt even have to be any media fabricated BS to propogate it. Habs and Nords is kinda like Habs/Leafs in a way.

The Bruins though..that **** doesnt die.

Mynameismark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 02:21 AM
Serious HABit

living in QC city now for the last while I can say that the rivalry would be insane just based on the fact about how Jelly QCers are about MTLers.

Serious HABit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 04:23 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious HABit View Post
living in QC city now for the last while I can say that the rivalry would be insane just based on the fact about how Jelly QCers are about MTLers.
I don't know about the teams tho. Just look at TO, the fans hate each other but the teams not so much. Montreal doesn't show much emotion when they play against them...

So yeah, depends what team moves to Quebec. Hopefully there is a rivalry... I live in Qc too and I look forward to some debates with ex-Nordique friends

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:11 AM
Zorro

While the media will try to re-create the old rivalry of the 80's and early 90's, it will really depend on which team gets relocated to QC.

My bros. who was/is a HUGE nords fan, would love the lightning to come up. I remember how mad he was when they moved and won the cup the next season.

Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:50 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
I don't know about the teams tho. Just look at TO, the fans hate each other but the teams not so much. Montreal doesn't show much emotion when they play against them...

So yeah, depends what team moves to Quebec. Hopefully there is a rivalry... I live in Qc too and I look forward to some debates with ex-Nordique friends
I don't even hate TO fans. Of course they have some fans who say stupid things, all of them do. The smart TO fans are some of the best in the league imo. They know the game well.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:57 AM
Joe Cole

In my early years, the only rival the Habs had was the Bruins. Then the Nords came around. The problem with the Nords was that they had a few bad teams, it was not a fair fight. Oncethey improved it was great!

I never felt the Toronto rivalry....

The sucked for so many years. Then they were in the western conference.... and since they returned.... there has been some electricity around the games, but nothing like the Bruins.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:28 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
In my early years, the only rival the Habs had was the Bruins. Then the Nords came around. The problem with the Nords was that they had a few bad teams, it was not a fair fight. Oncethey improved it was great!

I never felt the Toronto rivalry....

The sucked for so many years. Then they were in the western conference.... and since they returned.... there has been some electricity around the games, but nothing like the Bruins.
They would only need a few scrappy games (especially if one of those is a playoff game) to bring the Nords to major rival status in the Habs' eyes. They'd be on equal footing with Toronto or Philadelphia at first then they can supersede Philadelphia as the #2 rival of the Habs somewhere along the way.

Mathradio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:02 AM
HabsByTheBay

I don't hate the Leafs. I feel sorry for them most of the time, their fans are masochists who just want more pain and suffering.

A Nords-Habs rivalry will be fun, though some people try and make it political, which stinks.

But I loathe the Bruins with every fiber of my being. It's just good, clean, old-fashioned hate.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:05 AM
Capitano

I really hope Quebec comes back...I was happy when they left because I disliked them so much, but hockey is better with them.

Not to mention that habs will get less french media attention/pressure - imo anyway.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
I really hope Quebec comes back...I was happy when they left because I disliked them so much, but hockey is better with them.

Not to mention that habs will get less french media attention/pressure - imo anyway.
Same goes for the English-language media attention/pressure too.

Mathradio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:08 AM
bjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
They would only need a few scrappy games (especially if one of those is a playoff game) to bring the Nords to major rival status in the Habs' eyes. They'd be on equal footing with Toronto or Philadelphia at first then they can supersede Philadelphia as the #2 rival of the Habs somewhere along the way.
I personally dislike Philly, but I don't really see them as the clearcut #2 rival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post

Yes this would be benificial. Also, I would love for Quebec to come back so all the closet Nordique fans can get the **** out of this fanbase. I mean everyone would be happy, we wouldn't have to hear them whine and hate on everything, and they wouldn't be forced to cheer for a team they use to detest.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Aeneas

I'm young enough to not really experience the Nordique-habs rivalry, I'm sure the games would be fun to watch, in terms of on ice rivalry , games against boston on average have been a lot more exciting and heated than against any other team, Habs-leafs seems traditional and its more a rivalry for me because there are so many leaf fans where i am, but in terms of the actual game they usually aren't as good as Boston-Hab games

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:17 AM
Teufelsdreck

It would be ironic if le Nordique was stocked with Russian, Czechs, and Americans. What would the chauvinists in the Montréal media say then?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:19 AM
GrangerX

The Habs-Nordqiues rivalry was the most intense I've ever seen..it's always gonna be intense with the Bruins but to me it was on another level with the Nordiques; more like a blood feud. It would probably take some time to get going but I'm sure it would divert some of the attention away from the Habs-Bruins. Habs-Leafs is fun but doesn't have the same emotion involved as the other two.

GrangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:19 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

If a team relocates to Quebec City, I hope they don't name the team the "Nordiques".

It has nothing to do with history, a fresh start, etc., I just don't like the actual name "Nordiques" (the same way I don't like the name "Blue Jackets").

IMO, I'd rather see the Quebec Remparts name transition to the NHL. Maybe even the short-lived Quebec Citadelles.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Man, even after all these years and the fact that they don't even exist... I still hate the Nordiques.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:49 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamiltonhabfan10 View Post
I'm young enough to not really experience the Nordique-habs rivalry, I'm sure the games would be fun to watch, in terms of on ice rivalry , games against boston on average have been a lot more exciting and heated than against any other team, Habs-leafs seems traditional and its more a rivalry for me because there are so many leaf fans where i am, but in terms of the actual game they usually aren't as good as Boston-Hab games
Here's my take on rivalries as a Montreal kid who grew up in the seventies:

1. Die for Habs. Habs are the only thing, forever.

2. Leafs? No hate at all. They never threatened us, they were useless. I could see that changing soon though. Hate Leafs? Meh. Zero emotion here.

3. Bruins? No hate there, except Chara with one isolated incident. It's like Star trek, you need a scary enemy to make the show exciting. The B's were always the bad guy we had to beat, and we always did. No hate for the Bruins, but if they hurt Max again, I'll go Oswald grassy knoll on them.

4. Nordiques? You may be surprised. Hate Hate Hate. Not because they were from Quebec City, my pride and joy as a Quebecois, beautiful place, but just because they tanked all the time the last few years, they were crap, and they got so lucky against us in the playoffs all the time. They got SAKIC FFS, not because they knew, but because they were crap. I'd welcome a new Nords team though, as long as they were not so sucky, and as long as they ditched those awful girlie unis they had.

5. Penguins. Yes Penguins. Hate hate hate and hate again. Tank for Lemieux. Tank for Fleury. Tank for Malkin. Tank for Sid. Tank tank tank. I can't stand them. My most hated team by far, and should be yours too. Bought three cups with the new NHL tank and draft system. My mother could have managed them. Granted, she knows her hockey, well, she thinks Larry Robinson was a 'nice boy', but you get the idea.

6. Philly. See Boston post.

7. Tampa. Hate and hate again also. See Pens post. Sucky tanking team in a bad market that ended up with Vince, LL, etc. etc. and now they might do it again with Stam, Headcase, and a great coach who should be ours, after all, we hired and trained him. **** off very much Tampa. Die.

Speaking as a kid who grew up in the Forum, you guys hate the wrong teams. That's my take.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Aurel Joliat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
If a team relocates to Quebec City, I hope they don't name the team the "Nordiques".

It has nothing to do with history, a fresh start, etc., I just don't like the actual name "Nordiques" (the same way I don't like the name "Blue Jackets").

IMO, I'd rather see the Quebec Remparts name transition to the NHL. Maybe even the short-lived Quebec Citadelles.
Remparts is Junior.

Quebec Aces or Quebec Bulldogs are better options.
Nordiques sounds loosers haha

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
There was a decent Montreal/Q-C Rivalry, but mostly for the Franco's. I did used to love little Mike Keane beating the crap out of Nords players though. Fun but never really was as intense as the Original 6 ones with Boston & Toronto.

You lose a little Orig 6 magic like the battle of Ontario with Toronto-Ottawa, it's there but only due to geography. Ask them in Toronto & they would rather play Montreal any day than Ottawa, same here.

I think a good rivalry for a future Q-C team would be the Sens, Cities more the same size & Ottawa-Gatineau is half western Quebec anyway

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:05 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
It would be ironic if le Nordique was stocked with Russian, Czechs, and Americans. What would the chauvinists in the Montréal media say then?
The Nords were always stocked with Russian, Czechs, Anglo Canadians, and Americans etc. , with maybe 3 or 4 good Quebec guys. But no one ever talked about that.

SAKIC. SAKIC. SAKIC. Such a vrai gars chez nous, not.

Sucky sucky team. I want them back though, I just loved hating their suckiness.

Old
10-28-2011, 12:08 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post

I agree. Remparts and Citadelles are beautiful, historic names. Nordiques? Girlie.

Old
10-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Aeneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Here's my take on rivalries as a Montreal kid who grew up in the seventies:

1. Die for Habs. Habs are the only thing, forever.

2. Leafs? No hate at all. They never threatened us, they were useless. I could see that changing soon though. Hate Leafs? Meh. Zero emotion here.

3. Bruins? No hate there, except Chara with one isolated incident. It's like Star trek, you need a scary enemy to make the show exciting. The B's were always the bad guy we had to beat, and we always did. No hate for the Bruins, but if they hurt Max again, I'll go Oswald grassy knoll on them.

4. Nordiques? You may be surprised. Hate Hate Hate. Not because they were from Quebec City, my pride and joy as a Quebecois, beautiful place, but just because they tanked all the time the last few years, they were crap, and they got so lucky against us in the playoffs all the time. They got SAKIC FFS, not because they knew, but because they were crap. I'd welcome a new Nords team though, as long as they were not so sucky, and as long as they ditched those awful girlie unis they had.

5. Penguins. Yes Penguins. Hate hate hate and hate again. Tank for Lemieux. Tank for Fleury. Tank for Malkin. Tank for Sid. Tank tank tank. I can't stand them. My most hated team by far, and should be yours too. Bought three cups with the new NHL tank and draft system. My mother could have managed them. Granted, she knows her hockey, well, she thinks Larry Robinson was a 'nice boy', but you get the idea.

6. Philly. See Boston post.

7. Tampa. Hate and hate again also. See Pens post. Sucky tanking team in a bad market that ended up with Vince, LL, etc. etc. and now they might do it again with Stam, Headcase, and a great coach who should be ours, after all, we hired and trained him. **** off very much Tampa. Die.

Speaking as a kid who grew up in the Forum, you guys hate the wrong teams. That's my take.

Would the same apply for edmonton, chicago and washington then?

but then you look at a team like the islanders who have been tanking for years and not really going anywhere

i understand where your coming from though

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:49 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Nords 94-95 lineup

Bob Bassen
Wendel Clark
Rene Corbet
Adam Deadmarsh
Steven Finn
Stephane Fiset
Adam Foote
Peter Forsberg
Alexei Gusarov
Bill Huard
Valeri Kamensky