HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Ex-Habs Thread Part III (All Former Habs Players Discussed Here!)

View Poll Results: Which team is better?
Former Habs 34 44.16%
Current Habs 33 42.86%
It's even 4 5.19%
None 6 7.79%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2011, 09:10 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Exactly what I was wondering. We lose some to UFA and we gain. Draft picks are not wasted either (Pacioretty) and Gorges not being there is a joke. Anyways the methodology of the whole exercise is doubtful at best. Some players could be switched from one list to another. Wisniewski for instance was acquired in a trade in the first place, same with Tanguay. Pouliot was let go at UFA, but he looks far better as a bust so he put it in the second list. The ''dearly missed'' players were all acquired by the team anyways and left for a reason or another, Habs deserve credit for getting them in the first place...

Even the best teams sometimes lose good players so its not overly shocking to see the canadiens lose some decent players.

Furthermore of the roster he posted there are very few players of which we can't find an equivalent in free agency.
By letting Wisniewski walk, it allowed us to upgrade Pouliot into Cole and still have cash left over to sign Campoli(who would have been a nice asset had he not gotten hurt after 1 period). Wisniewski would have just added to a strength(skill puck moving d-men) at the expense of a need(big physical, skilled winger).

Old
10-28-2011, 10:41 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Old
10-28-2011, 10:54 AM
habitue*

D'Agostini at +9... Unbelievable !

and MAB with 10 assists....

Old
10-28-2011, 01:51 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Cedrick Desjardins put on waivers by COL...if we act quick enough and put in a claim, we can rectify the biggest mistake in the history of the franchise!

Old
10-28-2011, 02:40 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Cedrick Desjardins put on waivers by COL...if we act quick enough and put in a claim, we can rectify the biggest mistake in the history of the franchise!
Lol.

Even funnier is this: on this board I keep reading about how terrible the habs are at drafting, but then I come here and see people talk about how awesome ex-habs draftees are. D'agostini is awesome, streit is awesome, halak is awesome, latendresse is awesome, but timmins sucks at drafting.

Old
10-28-2011, 06:14 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Lol.

Even funnier is this: on this board I keep reading about how terrible the habs are at drafting, but then I come here and see people talk about how awesome ex-habs draftees are. D'agostini is awesome, streit is awesome, halak is awesome, latendresse is awesome, but timmins sucks at drafting.
But...David Fischer!!!!!!!

Old
10-28-2011, 06:26 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Lol.

I agree, it's a bit foolish, but I could do less with the widespread sweeping generalizations, it's not a majority at all imo. There are fans out of touch on all boards.

I have stated numerous times, that if I had to pick one person that was absolutely untouchable in this organization it should be Trevor Timmins, the guy is the best scout in the entire league.

I can't think of another man responsible for drafting more quality NHLer's, maybe my perception is off, but it certainly seems that way. Not only that, but the habs seem somewhat keen on targeting guys like Eller who TT was also very interested in drafting himself.

If he surrounded himself with some cap management gurus and a good professional scouting department I think he would make an excellent GM one day and would be one of my choices as the next candidate to take over should PG fail.

I think the man is in a class of his own. Without high end picks he still ends grabbing more nhlers than anyone else, what more can you ask for?

Old
10-28-2011, 06:27 PM
baboune

Just for the fun of it.... an NHL team with active EX-Habs players

I was wondering what this team would look like...

GOALIES
Jaroslav Halak + Jose Theodore or Mathieu Garon

DEFENSE
Ryan McDonagh / James Wisniewski
Mark Streit / Stephane Robidas
Francois Beauchemin / Roman Hamrlik
Extras / Sheldon Souray or Ryan O'byrne

LINES
Alex Tanguay / Mike Ribiero / Matt Dagostini
Guillaume Latendresse / Mikael Grabovski / Sergei Kostitsyn
Chris Higgins / Saku Koivu / Mikael Ryder
Danius Zubrus / Dominic Moore / Aaron Asham
Extras / Maxim Lapierre & Jeff Halpern

Interesting isn't it? Good goaltending + very strong defense + well balanced offense...

Let's finish with a poll.... If you could, which 3 players would you take back on the Habs current club to fill our needs?

For me, it would be Ryan Mcdonagh, Alex Tanguay & Aaron Asham

Have fun!

Old
10-28-2011, 06:33 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Terrible defence. Pointless thread if you're just bringing it up to bash old mgmt decisions.

Old
10-28-2011, 06:37 PM
baboune

Excuse me...... did you read the title? just for the fun of it!|

Where am I bashing old management? Is it possible to have plain fun around here?

Old
10-28-2011, 06:40 PM
HockeyHD
Rookie User

Mark Streit, Mikhail Grabovski (although he had a bad attitude, so I don't know if he would've played as well in Montreal as Toronto), and Aaron Asham (always loved that guy when he was with us).

I think haters can gtfo threads they don't like, tbh. It was an interesting thread. Don't like it? Don't comment. Simple!

Old
10-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Habiton

That group sucks. Soft, unbalanced with shaky goaltending.

Old
10-28-2011, 06:44 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Terrible defence. Pointless thread if you're just bringing it up to bash old mgmt decisions.
No superstar but I wouldn't go so far as saying the d is terrible.

Old
10-28-2011, 06:45 PM
neofury*

Funny part is I actually prefer our current team to that roster.

Old
10-28-2011, 06:47 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Looks like a 4th place finish in the East.

Who should we get to coach this team? I say Claude Julien.

And......the team could add BGL for enforcement issues.

Great thread!!!

Old
10-28-2011, 06:48 PM
baboune

Thanks HockeyHD for your last comment....

I believe some posters are here only to increase their number of posts and others are here to read interesting comments and sometimes do some research and share it with readers... It's too bad the first ones loose their time like that....

Old
10-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Jake5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post

tbh i think this is a pretty strong D. maybe there's no true top pairing, but top to bottom it's solid.

McD is looking very very solid
Wis is nothing special defensively but great offensively
Streit is...well, Streit. great all around Dman
Robidas would bring some toughness along w solid defensive play
Beauchemin isn't too great, but would be OK on a 3rd pairing
Hamrlik would be great if he was limited to 3rd pairing minutes.
Souray as 7th D is good too, seems like he's turning it around this year (too early to say for sure but looks good so far)

goaltending is a little shaky but Halak is pretty good

offense is laughably soft but i do like the 4th line. other than that they'd get pushed around worse than the current Habs do.

Old
10-29-2011, 10:52 AM
BLBarmada

It's a solid team, soft yes but still pretty good, and cap wise it works I think. Id take it but swap price for halak.

Old
10-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Sam I Am

Halak the guy less and less!

Halak the guy less and less:

J.Halak G STL 5 1 4 0 3.47 16 9 81 .835
B.Elliott G STL 6 4 1 0 1.67 9 156 147 .942

Since his legendary playoffs in 2010, Halak has done nothing but vindicate Gauthier's decision to keep Price. Imagine what shape the Habs would be in if Gauthier had bent to pressure from the fans and media.

Old
10-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
well, yes. Halak has always been an average goalie who had a great two month stretch.

Old
10-29-2011, 12:59 PM
pine*

Halak is overrated.

Played out of his mind during the 2010 playoffs. Welcome back to Earth

"St-Louis is laughing all the way to the bank..." ROFL.

Old
10-29-2011, 01:16 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

And Halak lost his poster boy status in St. Louis... a status he may never win back.

Old
10-29-2011, 01:43 PM
Marchy79

I fail to see why so many are so hot and bothered over our used parts still.

Some of the guys you all are speaking of played their way out of town.

D'ago was given his chances here. His first season, when he played decent here, he popped a few goals, however he also was a drawback defensively... When given a bigger role, he flopped VERY badly. Pulashaj literally bought us back a few more years of potential.

D'agostini is now a good player. He was given a bunch of time to really grow in to a role in St. Louis, and good for him! He LOST his role outright here though... and I still would not drop any of my top 3 to get him.

Cole, Kostitsyn, Pacioretty, Gionta, Cammalleri,
all are ahead of him... throw in the roundaabout in Moen, Desharnais, Eller, Darche, and a RW D'ago has no room to explore here.

Latendresse refused to be serious, and it was an issue again last year. He showed up in camp out of shape, and injured He missed most of last year. He thought he was better than advertised... He believed that the front of the net had no business for him. The team asked him to address a need for more playing time and he refused. Dont let the door hit him on the way out.

Since S. Kost left, we have gotten a more consistent, better Andrei. S. Kost was a dressing room cancer, and it if were up to him, we'd have Halak.

Losing McDonough sucked... In hindsight, I thought it was a bad move, but we were going a different direction, and McDo was the price we had to pay.

I'd still take the team we have today. I think the best for the season is upcoming (esp. when Markov is back).

If our Defence wasn't so beaten up to start the season (Which cannot be guessed on, they claim to have known that Markov wasn't ready to go, but who foresaw that Spacek, Campoli would go down to injury, and Woywitka, the only other option that we had with relative NHL experience was claimed on waivers).

This all being said, I think we're going to have a Banner year in Habland

Old
10-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboune View Post
I was wondering what this team would look like...

GOALIES
Jaroslav Halak + Jose Theodore or Mathieu Garon

DEFENSE
Ryan McDonagh / James Wisniewski
Mark Streit / Stephane Robidas
Francois Beauchemin / Roman Hamrlik
Extras / Sheldon Souray or Ryan O'byrne

LINES
Alex Tanguay / Mike Ribiero / Matt Dagostini
Guillaume Latendresse / Mikael Grabovski / Sergei Kostitsyn
Chris Higgins / Saku Koivu / Mikael Ryder
Danius Zubrus / Dominic Moore / Aaron Asham
Extras / Maxim Lapierre & Jeff Halpern

Interesting isn't it? Good goaltending + very strong defense + well balanced offense...

Let's finish with a poll.... If you could, which 3 players would you take back on the Habs current club to fill our needs?

For me, it would be Ryan Mcdonagh, Alex Tanguay & Aaron Asham

Have fun!
Price is significantly better than all 3 of those goaltenders (it's a shame Halak has fallen so far down with the Blues and has lost his place to Elliott). The only Dman I'd want back is McDonagh. It's not known how those players would play in Montréal, especially under Jacques Martin. Several of them had adjustment or behavioral problems and were a distraction to their teammates. Latenesse had awful stats in 23 games with the Habs the season he was traded.

Old
10-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Again, stop with the double standards people. So we have to wait before making an analysis on a player or a team but we can seriously say that Halak has officiall LOST the #1 job to Elliott? They were riding a hot Elliott. But he just lost against Calgary, mind you not a blowout, but it is possible that Halak comes back the next game and...what if HE has a hot streak?

So Price is allowed to have a bad stretch but not Halak?

Closed Thread