HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Washington Capitals @ Edmonton Oilers. 9:30PM EST. Rexall Place. 10.27.2011

Old
10-28-2011, 10:24 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
I didn't really care to much. But they would have been out until really late the game in Edm didn't end til around 11 and then they would have gotten to Van until at the earliest 130 and then going to the club?
Makes you wonder about their priorities, but some of these guys are icons in Canada....can't blame them for living it up a little.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:33 AM
tmljeh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
So what do the caps do when they loose to the oilers? All go to the club. The only ones that didn't were knuble hammer and vokoun. Kinda dissapoiting
How do you know this?

tmljeh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:50 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
well...thats better than smelling the blood of an englishman. eh?
Irishman here and no!

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:55 AM
CupofOil

Oiler fan here....

You guys shouldn't be too down on your team, they dominated about 2/3 of the game and just ran into a goalie playing out of his mind.
I have to say that the 3rd period display by the Caps was one of the most impressive displays that i've seen in a long time, the amount of skill in your top 6 is incredible as we all know but more importantly the bottom 6 is vastly improved from years past.
The young studs on D namely Carlson and Alzner are getting a lot better as well.
I would like to think that the Oilers are building their team in the Caps mold.
You guys have a lot to look forward to this season, i'll be rooting for ya'll from afar until our teams meet up in the SCF.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:11 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

In both soccer and hockey, a game's rhythm = the enjoyment factor. When there are too many stops and go's or interruptions it takes a lot away from the game and doesn't allow the skill players to demonstrate their abilities. In last night's game the referees were too involved in the game and it basically ruined the game and did impact the result.

I'm reminded of the following line from my days as a soccer referee and taken from the manual "Advice to Referees":

"The Laws of the Game are intended to provide that games should be played with as little interference
as possible, and in this view it is the duty of referees to penalize only deliberate breaches of the Law.
Constant whistling for trifling and doubtful breaches produces bad feeling and loss of temper on the
part of the players and spoils the pleasure of spectators."

Last edited by BiPolar Caps: 10-28-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old
10-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Devil Dancer

Totally sanguine about last night. Between the travel, the refs, the Wall, and the general effort by the Caps, I have no complaints about a one goal loss.

And it helps that the Oilers fans are nice. They are where we were not too long ago: just starting to get a taste of winning after some long, long winters.

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:30 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I guess my problem with prolonged complaining about reffing is it's just another excuse to defer accountability for the loss.

They had plenty of opportunities to overcome a 1 goal deficit. They didn't get it done, but it's time to move on, hopefully they're learning something each night.

Old
10-28-2011, 12:26 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
I guess my problem with prolonged complaining about reffing is it's just another excuse to defer accountability for the loss.

They had plenty of opportunities to overcome a 1 goal deficit. They didn't get it done, but it's time to move on, hopefully they're learning something each night.
Even the freaking Oilers fans were acknowledging the hatchet job the referees did. They're the most accountable for the loss.

Yeah, the Caps had plenty of opportunities--that they created through dominant play. They completely dominated even strength last night. I don't see how any Caps fan can have a problem with the way they played at ES, especially in the 3rd. It's tough to come back from any deficit when you spend nearly an entire period on the PK.

That game tells us absolutely nothing about accountability or anything silly like that. We won't see another game with such a horribly undeserved penalty discrepancy all year.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:41 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

LOL...I'm guessing Bruce didn't walk into the room and say "sorry guys, we all got screwed by the refs, group hug".

They could have easily gotten a point out of that game regardless of poor officiating early in the game. Woe is us.....

Old
10-28-2011, 12:49 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

And they didn't get the point. So what? It's one game out of 82. There's no message to get across. Nothing to be accountable for. I'm steamed that the refs turned the game into a gong show and ended the winning streak, but the loss doesn't hurt, and it doesn't tell anyone anything useful about the Caps or the Oilers.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:54 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Reffing was definitely weird. Was glad to witness the first hook penalty I've ever seen where the two opposing players were facing each other, hah.

Love the 5v5 play by the caps. Just one of those tight scoring games, regardless of the score, where some bounces need to come our way.

PK needs some work.

10-28-2011, 12:54 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Absolutely correct, it's 1 of 82. Not a big deal at all and I've said as much. So why freak out like you're doing about the reffing. SOOOOOO outraged by the horror of it all huh? Big deal...

Loser speak "nothing to be accountable for". That's like saying "we lost, but we can't do anything to improve". Rest assured, in the video review of the game, the coaches will find lots of things they have issues with. There are always lessons to be learned from a win OR a loss.

Old
10-28-2011, 12:58 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Reffing was definitely weird. Was glad to witness the first hook penalty I've ever seen where the two opposing players were facing each other, hah.

Love the 5v5 play by the caps. Just one of those tight scoring games, regardless of the score, where some bounces need to come our way.

PK needs some work.
You don't think they got some last night. Seriously though, let's remember the first goal by Hall was a 5 on 3, don't think there was a problem with our PK last night except perhaps exhaustion.

Old
10-28-2011, 01:02 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I thought Alzner way overcommitted on one PP goal. He went out to the guy passing like you would on a 5-4 PK instead of maintaining the triangle. Opened the lane for the easy goal.

Old
10-28-2011, 01:03 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Absolutely correct, it's 1 of 82. Not a big deal at all and I've said as much. So why freak out like you're doing about the reffing. SOOOOOO outraged by the horror of it all huh? Big deal...

Loser speak "nothing to be accountable for". That's like saying "we lost, but we can't do anything to improve". Rest assured, in the video review of the game ,the coaches will find lots of things they have issues with. There are always lessons to be learned from a win OR a loss.
Absolutely, like Karl Alzner, next time an opponent has their stick between your legs and is rubbing the under belly of your testicles with their lumber, keep your legs open and enjoy it rather than close your legs and in so doing pinch the opponent's stick resulting in a holding call. Really Karl, what were you thinking.

Old
10-28-2011, 01:08 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
I thought Alzner way overcommitted on one PP goal. He went out to the guy passing like you would on a 5-4 PK instead of maintaining the triangle. Opened the lane for the easy goal.
That was the one where the Oiler (don't recall who it was) faked the shot from the point and passed it down low to Eberle who immediately sent it over to Hall on the back door. Alzner was down low near Eberle at that time if I recall it correctly and I did think that he didn't get his stick down to block the passing lane to Hall but give credit where it's due on that one, it was probably Edmonton's best looking play of the whole evening and it didn't hurt that it was during a 5-3 PP.

Old
10-28-2011, 01:08 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
If you mean Eberle's goal, I think that was Halpern that was too far out. Alzner was in front of the net (and I had the same thought, about Halpern, at the time of the goal).

EDIT: Nvm, you must have meant Hall's goal.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 01:15 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Oiler fan here....

You guys shouldn't be too down on your team, they dominated about 2/3 of the game and just ran into a goalie playing out of his mind.
I have to say that the 3rd period display by the Caps was one of the most impressive displays that i've seen in a long time, the amount of skill in your top 6 is incredible as we all know but more importantly the bottom 6 is vastly improved from years past.
The young studs on D namely Carlson and Alzner are getting a lot better as well.
I would like to think that the Oilers are building their team in the Caps mold.
You guys have a lot to look forward to this season, i'll be rooting for ya'll from afar until our teams meet up in the SCF.
I was actually pretty impressed with the structure of the oil for a team with stars so young and a defense playing in slots above their paygrade.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 01:23 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Even the freaking Oilers fans were acknowledging the hatchet job the referees did. They're the most accountable for the loss.

Yeah, the Caps had plenty of opportunities--that they created through dominant play. They completely dominated even strength last night. I don't see how any Caps fan can have a problem with the way they played at ES, especially in the 3rd. It's tough to come back from any deficit when you spend nearly an entire period on the PK.

That game tells us absolutely nothing about accountability or anything silly like that. We won't see another game with such a horribly undeserved penalty discrepancy all year.
3 games left with Pitt.

I have no issues with the calls on us. To me they were all deserved by the book. Once the caps were made aware of this game's standard they should have adjusted.... (Seriously Brouwer?). To me, the major gripe needs to be with the inconsistency. If your calling that standard, you need to maintain it. Two deviations from that standard were on the hack at end and the initial hook in Hendricks hands several seconds before the tug and "dive"... Understood that diving is subjective. Just calls the damn initial penalty.

Caps get their second pp there while up 1-0 and the game is different. Quite noticeably as that 4on 4 started the parade to the box and set up the tie. Then obviously a 5-3 to tie the game would have altered the caps ability to pull it off.

So yeah... Suck a bag of **** refs.

Old
10-28-2011, 01:31 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
3 games left with Pitt.

I have no issues with the calls on us. To me they were all deserved by the book. Once the caps were made aware of this game's standard they should have adjusted.... (Seriously Brouwer?). To me, the major gripe needs to be with the inconsistency. If your calling that standard, you need to maintain it. Two deviations from that standard were on the hack at end and the initial hook in Hendricks hands several seconds before the tug and "dive"... Understood that diving is subjective. Just calls the damn initial penalty.

Caps get their second pp there while up 1-0 and the game is different. Quite noticeably as that 4on 4 started the parade to the box and set up the tie. Then obviously a 5-3 to tie the game would have altered the caps ability to pull it off.

So yeah... Suck a bag of **** refs.
How dare you disagree!??!?! We we're screwed by the refs....none of it was our fault!

Old
10-28-2011, 01:44 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I'll be honest. In 30 yrs watching hockey I've never seen alzner's holding stick call. I have to assume that the rule is written to accommodate that call. Also the angle on sarge's hook didn't look like one to me. Looked like he just slammed his stick across the top of the oil attacker. A slash if stick breaks but didn't look as if used his stick to restrict the players body.

I've seen plenty of data on other calls.

Old
10-28-2011, 02:00 PM
txpd

Quote:

Loser speak "nothing to be accountable for". That's like saying "we lost, but we can't do anything to improve". Rest assured, in the video review of the game, the coaches will find lots of things they have issues with. There are always lessons to be learned from a win OR a loss.
as a general rule, the somebody needs to be accountable for stuff carries with it a scorched earth, heads will roll, at least bag skate them sort of mentality. i would imagine that the caps feel like they should have won that game. that they took too many penalties even given the succession of odd penalties that were added to make it ridiculous. even with that they gave the oilers very little and with some finish they would have won the game.

hockey is a game of mistakes. the idea is to limit them because eliminating them entirely isnt realistic.

there are levels of accountability and i am sure that the proper level of acccountability has been dispatched for a game where the breaks and the officiating didnt fall the caps way and their advantage in play was not enough to overcome a good game by the oil and their b-wall.

nothing to dwell over. next?

HSHS: While the Alzner holding the stick penalty was creative, my favorite call was the Carlson delay penalty for making contact with, but never having possession of a puck over the glass.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 02:35 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Does the rule require possession?

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 02:46 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
as a general rule, the somebody needs to be accountable for stuff carries with it a scorched earth, heads will roll, at least bag skate them sort of mentality. i would imagine that the caps feel like they should have won that game. that they took too many penalties even given the succession of odd penalties that were added to make it ridiculous. even with that they gave the oilers very little and with some finish they would have won the game.

hockey is a game of mistakes. the idea is to limit them because eliminating them entirely isnt realistic.

there are levels of accountability and i am sure that the proper level of acccountability has been dispatched for a game where the breaks and the officiating didnt fall the caps way and their advantage in play was not enough to overcome a good game by the oil and their b-wall.

nothing to dwell over. next?

HSHS: While the Alzner holding the stick penalty was creative, my favorite call was the Carlson delay penalty for making contact with, but never having possession of a puck over the glass.
Accountability doesn't mean you're bag skating the team after every loss. A good manager and teacher uses good and bad to teach and correct. Doesn't have to be a negative process and I would contend that it's more effective when done in a constructive way. But blowing off a 1 goal loss to a bad team and completely skapegoating the refs is the way losers deal with defeat. Winners learn lessons and overcome adversity.

I'm not sure how you look at that Carlson penalty as anything other than that. He smacked the puck over the glass. If it doesn't happen off a deflection, it's a penalty.

Old
10-28-2011, 03:01 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
I hope that when Edmonton gets a new arena the keep the same camera position where the benches are on the close side. Is Rexall Place the only arena like this? Much better, IMO.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote