HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What happened to this team?

Old
10-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
Disagree. Stats don't tell the full tale when one of our top players was Stefan Ruzicka and he scored 3 goals and added 10 assists

I think we can make the playoffs this year. It will take time for everything to come together but were not nearly as bad as some of the teams like the Senators.
I misunderstood, I thought he meant this team compared to last years...not this year compared to The Dying Time.

edit: I think he means it should be better than it is now in general, actually.

10-28-2011, 12:36 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
Disagree. Stats don't tell the full tale when one of our top players was Stefan Ruzicka and he scored 3 goals and added 10 assists

I think we can make the playoffs this year. It will take time for everything to come together but were not nearly as bad as some of the teams like the Senators.
our 7-2 rout of them aside, you should take a look at the standings.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:38 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I misunderstood, I thought he meant this team compared to last years...not this year compared to The Dying Time.

edit: I think he means it should be better than it is now in general, actually.
Ah my bad. No I agree we took a step back but in the long run I think we will be better. It'll take time though.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
Man, Pittsburgh has played a lot of games already.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 01:30 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I know people don't want to hear it, but I really think they're starting to tune out Laviolette. The same thing happened not too long ago under the watch of Ken Hitchcock. The only difference between then and now is that Laviolette has managed to win a few games and this roster is much better compared to the one Ken had to work with.

This is where Laviolette really needs his leadership group to step up to the plate and get everyone back on the same page. The big thing that I see from watching games is that they aren't playing as a team - some people seem to be trying to do too much and others are content to just go along for the ride. The other thing this team needs is to have players step up and take on roles that might not be as glamorous as a scoring role.
They started tuning him out last year. I was thinking the last off-season that they would get rid of him but instead they got rid of the two players that tuned him out the most. Its only a matter of time now.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 01:32 PM
Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
They started tuning him out last year. I was thinking the last off-season that they would get rid of him but instead they got rid of the two players that tuned him out the most. Its only a matter of time now.
Coaches come and coaches go, but bad hockey teams are forever?

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 02:00 PM
G Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
Maybe we need a players only meeting. Worked for them 4-0 since.

G Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Doyle

Home ice has been one of the trademark advantages for the Philadelphia Flyers through the years. Just look up the 1975-76 season and see what the team accomplished. In 40 games, the Broad Street Bullies went 36-2-2 - garnering 74 out of a possible 80 points while scoring 205 goals, and yielding just 79.

Now that is what you call dominance.

Those were the days of Bobby Clarke, Bill Barber, Reggie Leach, Bernie Parent, and company.

http://nhlhotstove.com/home-ice-no-l...ge-for-flyers/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 04:12 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Eh, not really. Even on paper when you take into account defensive statistics this is a worse team. Well...offensive statistics too.

Having a PP is indeed nice though. I like it.
Yeah, but we have a #1 goalie, and goaltending wins Cups! Nothing else matters. The Devils have had Brodeur and won 15 cups in a row. Now we have a #1 goalie and its our turn!

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 04:15 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
Yeah, but we have a #1 goalie, and goaltending wins Cups! Nothing else matters. The Devils have had Brodeur and won 15 cups in a row. Now we have a #1 goalie and its our turn!
Teams win cups not to often a goalie wins it.........

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 04:17 PM
ProdigalOne*

Richards was underrated by management and his loss is glaring now. Plus the defense, Timmonen in particular has always been overrated. Meszaros somewhat as well.

ProdigalOne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 04:33 PM
WolfHound

Defense this team lacks defensive depth.

WolfHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 08:10 AM
jb**

[QUOTE=Chris Shafer;38601153]Anyone still believe Richards and Carter were overrated defensively?

Our forwards have a lot of growing to do in their own end. Giroux is solid, but not all-world. Briere is a straight up liability. Coutuirer is still learning, and Talbot gets limited minutes. It's hardly the down-the-middle defensive unit we've had since 2007-08. Another thing is that without Pronger, Carle is helpless. It doesn't help that Meszaros and Coburn haven't been playing great. Timonen can't do it alone.

Couple that with bad bounces as well as a team that just changed roughly half of its lineup and you have the catastrophe that is known as the early 2011-12 Flyers.

It will correct itself in time.[/QUOTE]

how so and based on what?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 08:25 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandals View Post
how so and based on what?
Well, the players have played hockey all their lives. The biggest that Laviolette can do right now in order to turn things around is to simplify things for the rookies and anyone who has never played in his system. Stick the basic fundamentals of the system and work it from there.

As for the goaltending, all what Bryzgalov needs to do is make that one big save and I think it will restore his confidence.

I know I'm not ready to give up after ten games. This team has way too much talent to be performing the way it has. I look at like this - the Flyers are fifth in the conference. Every team ahead and beneath us hasn't made quite the wholesale roster changes this team has made. That's what gives me hope.

I also look at it like this - the defending Stanley Cup champions are dead last in the conference. There's no way they're that bad of a team and you can bet the ship will get straightened out there. No reason to believe the same can't be done here.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 08:34 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Well, the players have played hockey all their lives. The biggest that Laviolette can do right now in order to turn things around is to simplify things for the rookies and anyone who has never played in his system. Stick the basic fundamentals of the system and work it from there.

As for the goaltending, all what Bryzgalov needs to do is make that one big save and I think it will restore his confidence.

I know I'm not ready to give up after ten games. This team has way too much talent to be performing the way it has. I look at like this - the Flyers are fifth in the conference. Every team ahead and beneath us hasn't made quite the wholesale roster changes this team has made. That's what gives me hope.

I also look at it like this - the defending Stanley Cup champions are dead last in the conference. There's no way they're that bad of a team and you can bet the ship will get straightened out there. No reason to believe the same can't be done here.
these guys are not good defensively, so just because they have played hockey all their lives doesnt mean they are all of a sudden going to play better defensively. that is were i was going. I dont think he can simplify it much more imo.

i disagree saying they have to much talent to perfrom the way they have. up front they are for lack of a btter word a mis cast bunch so to speak. no they ar ento bad and will probabyl fall between the 6-10 area imo. comparing the cup winner to this team is apples to oranges imo.

On the backend they have 3 guys who are #3/4 type dman, nothing wrong with that.. they are not good enough to anchor their own pair and are inconsistent. these guys have been around 5/6 years. i am so tired of hearing about their potential. maybe they have reached their potential and your not going to get anything more from them.

not concerned about the goalies at all, at this point.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 08:40 AM
Viller

Im kinda surprised Laviolette hasn't taken responsibility for the loss as well. The guy did have his stupid ass 4th line on after (Rinaldo-Couturier-SHelley) many goals scored and that caused them to be bogged down in their own zone many times...

Most coaches will throw their best players on the ice when an opposing goal is scored, so match that with your 4th eh lavy? Makes no sense whatsoever... And sit ****ing Shelley, the guy is ****ing useless. No one will fight him and he cant play at all.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 08:43 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Umm ... No?
Umm... YES. Richards and Carter were great at what they did and much loved by Philly fans. Holmgren didn't just screw this team, but he screwed over those players. Especially Carter. He's stuck in crappy Columbus now for YEARS. Guess that's why you get a no trade clause. Poor Carter.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 08:45 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandals View Post
these guys are not good defensively, so just because they have played hockey all their lives doesnt mean they are all of a sudden going to play better defensively. that is were i was going. I dont think he can simplify it much more imo.

i disagree saying they have to much talent to perfrom the way they have. up front they are for lack of a btter word a mis cast bunch so to speak. no they ar ento bad and will probabyl fall between the 6-10 area imo. comparing the cup winner to this team is apples to oranges imo.

On the backend they have 3 guys who are #3/4 type dman, nothing wrong with that.. they are not good enough to anchor their own pair and are inconsistent. these guys have been around 5/6 years. i am so tired of hearing about their potential. maybe they have reached their potential and your not going to get anything more from them.

not concerned about the goalies at all, at this point.
Bryz should be ashamed for his previous games. But I agree with you. Goalies are nothing to worry bout right now. They will turn things around.

Old
10-29-2011, 08:48 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04' hockey View Post
trade your captain who's 26 and a 35/40 goal scorer and the team isn't gonna be affected?

still trying to understand the Richards trade

team chemistry is a fragile thing
Still so confused about what the GM was thinking. There were cheaper and younger goalies who are just as good as Bryz and we wouldn't have to sign the to... 9 YEARS. Just crazy. As to what happened to the team. Management happened. Luckily Philly still has a lot of great pieces left. Even without Carter and Richards. Lol it's funny, last season I said Bryz was the most underated goalie in the NHL. Now I'm saying he's by far the most overated in the league. Funny how things work out.