Assistant Captains in 3 Years?

Old
10-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeShizzle View Post
2) Invisible? You mean like the way Lehtinen is invisible nearly every night when he plays. Or how Barnes was invisible and never racked up points. Just because a player isn't flashy, or even overly skilled doesn't mean they aren't worthy of an "A". The way he has been playing lately, Modano doesn't deserve an "A", yet he gets one simply because he is Modano.
The entire town of Dallas didn't even know about Robidas until his recent playoff run. And if you would take the word of the official board over at DS.com, they would have you thinking he is the best defensemen in the entire league now. God forbid I don't buy into the whole Robidas hype. He had one good playoff series and everyone thinks he's unstoppable now.

Lehtinen and Barnes were by far two of our best defensive forwards. Lehtinen has three selkes to back up that statement in his career and nothing's changed since.

Modano was given an A because he is this franchise. He's still the face of this franchise no matter how you look at it and he deserves it still IMO. He's not the player he once was, sure, nobody is trying to say that. But he is still a pretty damn good player compared to 3/4ths of this league. And having him center our 3rd line, I'll take that any day.

Again, this is three years down the road. Modano, Lehts, and Zubie won't be here. And I'll be surprised if Robi is too. The Stars have made their point that they're trying to go with a younger line up and not to mention Morrow, Ribeiro, Richards, etc. etc. will all still be here.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Dominic Roussel
Tank Mode: Fail

vCash: 1951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
The entire town of Dallas didn't even know about Robidas until his recent playoff run. And if you would take the word of the official board over at DS.com, they would have you thinking he is the best defensemen in the entire league now. God forbid I don't buy into the whole Robidas hype. He had one good playoff series and everyone thinks he's unstoppable now.
Way to be melodramatic when responding to my statement. I fail to see where I made such claims. I simply said he's one of the hardest working guys we've had on our team in a while. And unless you haven't watched the Stars for a few years now, you would know this. And I am fairly certain that your claim that "the entire town of Dallas didn't even know about Robidas until his recent playoff run," is utter nonsense. Seriously, I understand you may not like him, or you're tired of him having his ass kissed by bandwagon fans, but making comments like that just makes you sound ignorant.

Quote:
Lehtinen and Barnes were by far two of our best defensive forwards. Lehtinen has three selkes to back up that statement in his career and nothing's changed since.
I know they were the best, I simply making the point that Barnes has been "invisible" for most of his career, as is Lehtinen because they don't play flashy games. Yea Lehtinen won 3 Selke's, but 2 were back-to-back and the last one was what like 5 seasons ago. He hasn't really changed much since then, but most people don't notice everything that he does for the team unless he has a trophy thrown at him.

Quote:
Modano was given an A because he is this franchise. He's still the face of this franchise no matter how you look at it and he deserves it still IMO. He's not the player he once was, sure, nobody is trying to say that. But he is still a pretty damn good player compared to 3/4ths of this league. And having him center our 3rd line, I'll take that any day.
Give someone the "A" because of who he is instead of actually gauging his leadership ability. I wasn't debating whether he was a good player still, but rarely does that Modano show up anymore. (I'd rather have Jordan Staal on our 3rd line though, lol)

Dominic Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Way to be melodramatic when responding to my statement. I fail to see where I made such claims.
I never once said YOU made those statements. I said those on the Official board.

Yes he's hard working. But, up until the playoff series against Anaheim...all he did was get hit and get up. He literally did that for two years straight, and I don't think a single person can argue that.

I'm more than glad he showed up against Anaheim. It no doubt helped us win the playoff series. I just don't think he's even one of OUR top defensemen much less the league (which again, never said you did....just a lot of Stars fans feel that way, most of the bandwagon ones). And I feel that in 3 years down the road, we'll have better and stronger leaders. And we will have moved on from the Robi era (lol).

Quote:
I know they were the best, I simply making the point that Barnes has been "invisible" for most of his career, as is Lehtinen because they don't play flashy games. Yea Lehtinen won 3 Selke's, but 2 were back-to-back and the last one was what like 5 seasons ago. He hasn't really changed much since then, but most people don't notice everything that he does for the team unless he has a trophy thrown at him.
Barnes has been one of our best players period since he came here (which I fully expect us to see this season without him here). Not sure you can consider that invisible. Lehtinen, I can see that.

Old
10-10-2008, 12:09 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Yes he's hard working. But, up until the playoff series against Anaheim...all he did was get hit and get up. He literally did that for two years straight, and I don't think a single person can argue that.
My god that made me laugh. I love Robidas because he does do that, but when you write it like that, and you are correct, it does seem pathetic. Still, I don't think he will take a major step back from his playoff performance. It will be difficult for him though if Zubov gets healthy and stays that way.

Anyway, thanks for the laugh.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 08:09 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
Well, Richards already has an A, so I guess that answers half of this question.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Dominic Roussel

Robidas 3 Points tonight.

No way he's one of our best.

Old
10-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Robidas 3 Points tonight.

No way he's one of our best.

Funny....he had 3 points...and still wasn't even a plus in the game. Hmmmm.

Old
10-15-2008, 11:15 AM
aisforaaron83

vCash: 1075
Quote:

Funny....he had 3 points...and still wasn't even a plus in the game. Hmmmm.
powerplay doesnt give you a plus. The Robi Grossman pairing is taking on the best line on opposing teams as well. wake up.

Robi is one of our better defensemen right now. like it or not.

aisforaaron83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 11:18 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisforaaron83 View Post
powerplay doesnt give you a plus.
He was the one the ice for 3 of the 5 goals we gave up to Columbus. (-3 takes out his +3 from his assists)

And he was on the ice for 2 of the 3 goals we gave up to Nashville. (-1 on the night as the other one was a PP goal against)

Old
10-15-2008, 11:37 AM
Dominic Roussel

Quote:
He was the one the ice for 3 of the 5 goals we gave up to Columbus. (-3 takes out his +3 from his assists)

And he was on the ice for 2 of the 3 goals we gave up to Nashville. (-1 on the night as the other one was a PP goal against)
It seems like you don't want to admit when you're wrong, that's fine, but you're full of **** if you think he's been so terrible on defense. Fistric, Niskanen, and Boucher have all been so much worse and they aren't even taking on the other team's top lines.

Old
10-15-2008, 11:43 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:

Give me a break Lobo, you said yourself you didn't even watch the games. What's with this venom for Robidas?

In the Columbus game, he was only on the ice for 2 goals against, not 3. The first goal, Huselius' goal, he was on his back because his own damn player, Steve Ott, laid him out trying to get a big hit on a Columbus player. The 2nd goal against, Nash's, was a 3 on 2, Niskanen and Robidas, after Dallas had a rush up the ice. As for the three goals he was on the ice for, 2 of them wouldn't have happened without Robidas. The first goal was a great pass to Neal. Neal just kept his stick on the ice and scored the goal. The 3rd goal was a point shot from Robidas that bounced off a few guys before going in. Robidas had a great game, and there is no reason a person could bury him for it.

As for the Nashville game, name one player that played well. On the first goal against, Avery had a terrible turnover at the offensive blueline that was a direct result of the goal. Robidas could have played in front of the net better, but he was already dealing with one Pred and didn't pick up Weber who had snuck in. On the second goal, he failed to cut off the pass from behind the net to Arnott who scored.

Yeah, he didn't have a great night in Nashville, but I just don't get this hatred.

Last edited by BigG44: 10-15-2008 at 11:55 AM.
BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
It seems like you don't want to admit when you're wrong, that's fine, but you're full of **** if you think he's been so terrible on defense. Fistric, Niskanen, and Boucher have all been so much worse and they aren't even taking on the other team's top lines.
Please tell me where I said he was terrible on defense.

Not once did I say he was.

This topic is about ASSISTANT CAPTAINS in a couple of seasons. Not whether a player is good on defense or not. I simply put the stats out there after you came with the 3 assists.

Old
10-26-2011, 07:13 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
Interesting Thread Bump

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 07:39 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

vCash: 500
I find it VERY funny that a few people had Niskanen as an assistant.

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:36 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
When he was paired with Zubov he looked like a very good up and coming defenseman.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 05:39 AM
ColeJ

vCash: 500
it absolutely horrifies me that mike heika hit the nail on the head.

ColeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:44 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
Well this is certainly one instance where a beat reporter should have better insights than fans. He didn't get Eriksson though.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Dominic Roussel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJ View Post
it absolutely horrifies me that mike heika hit the nail on the head.
I'm glad I asked him about it, he's kind of like Eklund....once in a while he gets something right, lol.