HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Washington Capitals @ Edmonton Oilers. 9:30PM EST. Rexall Place. 10.27.2011

Old
10-28-2011, 03:04 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

vCash: 500
Txpd: I've seen those d o g penalties before. I don't think possession is a requirement.

Edit: not necessary

Last edited by HSHS: 10-28-2011 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Cc explains himself and doesnt need me
HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Angelus
Smile Time!

vCash: 141
I love the Capitals in the east, and I'll be rooting for them this year (again). Love your team, love Ovi. Can't comment on the game because I missed it. Please murderdeathkill the 41-year old virgins tomorrow night!

Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Txpd: I've seen those d o g penalties before. I don't think possession is a requirement.
How did everyone else see that play? I saw it as the guy was sending it in, Carlson stuck out his stick, the puck deflected off the stick and out of play.

If that is a penalty why isn't it a penalty every time a defender deflects the puck out of play when they are in their own zone?

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 04:08 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
How did everyone else see that play? I saw it as the guy was sending it in, Carlson stuck out his stick, the puck deflected off the stick and out of play.

If that is a penalty why isn't it a penalty every time a defender deflects the puck out of play when they are in their own zone?
touché.

PuckBuddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Joseppi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
I hope that when Edmonton gets a new arena the keep the same camera position where the benches are on the close side. Is Rexall Place the only arena like this? Much better, IMO.
Yup, only arena that does it. Most people don't catch it at first, but once you see it, you can't unsee it.

Joseppi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 04:47 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
I'm not sure how you look at that Carlson penalty as anything other than that. He smacked the puck over the glass. If it doesn't happen off a deflection, it's a penalty.
the penalty call implies control. waving at a puck 3 feet in the air with the idea that he had any control over where it went is wrong. its as much a deflection as getting a stick in the way of a shot or pass that leaves the arena.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 04:52 PM
txpd

Quote:

Edit: not necessary
oh, i believe the fault there is in the rule and not the referee. the rule is there to keep a player from shooting the puck over the glass. that implies that he had enough control to shoot/pass the puck. contact with a puck in the air is a different condition.

anyway...what we had there was one penalty for holding a stick with your legs, batting a puck in the air out of play. grabbing a puck in the air to clear rather than batting it with the open hand. those are three penalties that are no less than once a year things.

Old
10-28-2011, 05:22 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseppi View Post
Yup, only arena that does it. Most people don't catch it at first, but once you see it, you can't unsee it.
I wish more had it like this.

10-28-2011, 05:52 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Txpd: gotchya. I agree. I believe that only controlled pucks off the blade that go directly into the seats should be penalties.

Anything else should be a face off like icing... No changes. Deflections from swing stick ala jc last night, punching it into stands, controlled shots into benches or deflecting off glass into seats.... No changing.

Milhaus: I saw it as him swinging his stick at the airborne puck and sticks energy made puck clear glass... Where blocking deflections the energy is from the shooter.

Old
10-28-2011, 07:46 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
oh, i believe the fault there is in the rule and not the referee. the rule is there to keep a player from shooting the puck over the glass. that implies that he had enough control to shoot/pass the puck. contact with a puck in the air is a different condition.

anyway...what we had there was one penalty for holding a stick with your legs, batting a puck in the air out of play. grabbing a puck in the air to clear rather than batting it with the open hand. those are three penalties that are no less than once a year things.
If batting the puck out of the air wasn't so easily done by these pros I might agree, but most of them can smack a puck out of the air at will.

The rule clearly defines itself. There's no requirement to be SHOOTING.

63.1 Delaying the Game – A player or a team may be penalized when, in the opinion of the Referee, is delaying the game in any manner.

63.2 Minor Penalty

A minor penalty for delay of game shall be imposed on any player or goalkeeper who deliberately shoots or bats (using his hand or his stick) the puck outside the playing area during the play or after a stoppage of play.

When any player, while in his defending zone, shoots or bats (using his hand or his stick) the puck directly (non-deflected) out of the playing surface, except where there is no glass, a penalty shall be assessed for delaying the game. When the puck is shot into the players’ bench, the penalty will not apply. When the puck is shot over the glass ‘behind’ the players’ bench, the penalty will be assessed.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Milhaus: I saw it as him swinging his stick at the airborne puck and sticks energy made puck clear glass... Where blocking deflections the energy is from the shooter.
Yes but unless the shot or pass was heading off the rink it was the additional energy generated from the block that changed the direction and actually got it over the glass.

This comes down to at what point does deflecting become batting? If your stick is just sitting there then it is definitely just a deflection but if you are moving your stick at the puck you could easily make the case that you are batting the puck and thus that should be called a lot more often, not that I want that.

There are going to be plenty of cases this year where guys will be swinging their sticks to block passes and shots and send pucks off the rink as a result and no penalty will be called. I don't see his as any different.

But whatever, I don't blame one call for the loss or anything like that, I just see it as a really sketchy call.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:09 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Would definitely like clarity and simplicity. Less judgement. That's why I like my preference. Little ambiguity... Like the 2 ft inbound rule in nfl. The removed the "forced out" catch to remove judgement and bring clarity.

Old
10-28-2011, 08:27 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
If batting the puck out of the air wasn't so easily done by these pros I might agree, but most of them can smack a puck out of the air at will.

The rule clearly defines itself. There's no requirement to be SHOOTING.

63.1 Delaying the Game – A player or a team may be penalized when, in the opinion of the Referee, is delaying the game in any manner.

63.2 Minor Penalty

A minor penalty for delay of game shall be imposed on any player or goalkeeper who deliberately shoots or bats (using his hand or his stick) the puck outside the playing area during the play or after a stoppage of play.

When any player, while in his defending zone, shoots or bats (using his hand or his stick) the puck directly (non-deflected) out of the playing surface, except where there is no glass, a penalty shall be assessed for delaying the game. When the puck is shot into the players’ bench, the penalty will not apply. When the puck is shot over the glass ‘behind’ the players’ bench, the penalty will be assessed.
good god...is this that important to you? you win....

Old
10-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
I wish more had it like this.
I didn't like the camera position at all. I like being able to see who is going off and who is coming on. You really don't gain much by pointing it at the penalty boxes.

Stewie G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:44 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Would definitely like clarity and simplicity. Less judgement. That's why I like my preference. Little ambiguity... Like the 2 ft inbound rule in nfl. The removed the "forced out" catch to remove judgement and bring clarity.
I know it's apples and oranges and I promise that this will be my last reference to soccer for some time, but if you want less judgement in hockey you can forget about it when it comes to soccer. With soccer, always taught that the most important/powerful words that appear within the soccer laws is in Law 5 which deals with the Referee, and the words are "in the opinion of the referee".

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:55 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
I know it's apples and oranges and I promise that this will be my last reference to soccer for some time, but if you want less judgement in hockey you can forget about it when it comes to soccer. With soccer, always taught that the most important/powerful words that appear within the soccer laws is in Law 5 which deals with the Referee, and the words are "in the opinion of the referee".
Soccer rules are written by corrupt organizations to perpetuate corrupt officiating.

Old
10-29-2011, 09:01 AM
Kagee*

Just thought I'd mention for the Canucks game, that our vets are not there yet, so you guys should continue on your winning journey.

best.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 09:27 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagee View Post
Just thought I'd mention for the Canucks game, that our vets are not there yet, so you guys should continue on your winning journey.

best.
well...we still have leonsis, mcphee, boudreau, semin, schultz, and is hamrlik now in that group?

Old
10-29-2011, 12:27 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
I didn't like the camera position at all. I like being able to see who is going off and who is coming on. You really don't gain much by pointing it at the penalty boxes.
Well you actually can identify who is coming on and off as one can actually see the name plate which is easier for my old eyes than the traditional camera placement. To each is own :-).

usiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Well you actually can identify who is coming on and off as one can actually see the name plate which is easier for my old eyes than the traditional camera placement. To each is own :-).
Fair enough. I never considered that being an issue. With an HD set and powerful glasses, I can usually see who is coming on without much trouble.

Stewie G is online now   Reply With Quote