Notices

Traveling to Winnipeg for road trip 1/11-1/13

Old
10-28-2011, 12:55 PM
blues10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirShark View Post
So is the consensus generally that the Radisson and Delta are more conveniently located for hockey, while something like the Forks is just nicer overall, requiring a taxi/car to get to the MTS Centre?

Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire and Expedia are my best travel friends :-) I can't see why anyone would pay higher prices to book direct anymore.
I have lived in Winnipeg for 41 years and would not walk from the Forks to MTSC in January. There is a free downtown shuttle bus that runs.

Contact the Delta and Radisson both are offering deals for Jets ticket holders. I believe it is $99.00 a night for ticket holders. Pretty good deal for downtown hotel.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:58 PM
tbcwpg

Places to go before the game (my faves at least):

4Play is a big sports bar across Portage Ave from the arena, it's two levels, has screens everywhere, and a big 24 foot HD projection (I think) as the main attraction. The downside to this is the place is really busy on game days and it might be tough to get in. Lines for UFC events can be an hour long at times.

Tavern United is located just across the street from one of the entrances to MTS Centre, and this one is much closer to the arena. It's literally 5 seconds from the entrance of Tavern to that entrance of the MTS Centre, so it might be better for a person who's not used to the cold It's big as well and easy to get a drink, although if you want food you might want to get there early.

Boston Pizza is located in CityPlace, a block behind MTS Centre, but connected through a walkway so you don't have to go outside. The lounge there is fairly small though and fills up very quick. Elephant and Castle is more a traditional style pub, it's actually in the Delta so if you stay there you have easy access and can just bill to your room. It's also pretty small in the drinks area but the food is probably the best of the bunch, in my eyes. The Union Jack burger is my favourite, with pub onion soup. It's attached to the skywalk so again you don't have to go outside. If you stay at the Delta you can actually get around without taking a coat, I live downtown and leave my jacket at home, walking through the skywalk.

No matter where you go, I definitely recommend going around 5 in the evening, and then heading to the arena for no later than 6:15-6:30. The atmosphere in the warmup, as well as in the concourses on game day is excellent.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 01:21 PM
cheswick

vCash: 574
If its open this year the Forks has one of the longest skating trails in the world on the river. You should definetely go ice skating down there.

I recommend checking out Hermanos if you want a place to eat. The waitresses are easy on the eyes and the food has been great every time I've gone there. Bonus is that its located in Winnipeg's exchange district which is full of turn of the 19th century buildings that have been converted to shops, condos, restaurants etc.

Ignore the weather comments. I dunno what it is about some Winnipeggers. They over exagerate the coldness to try sounding like Winnipeggers are somehow tougher cause we live in a cold climate and others just can't deal with it. Yeah it's cold, but its far from unliveable. If you've been anywhere else in Canada (except Vancouver) or anywhere in the Northern States in the winter you'll have an idea for what its like. The average January high 9.1F and the average low is -9F.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 05:28 PM
AirShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgMikos View Post
This thread is why the licence plate says 'Friendly Manitoba'. A lot of good suggestions by everyone.

These are old stock but I'd be happy to throw you guys a couple of IC touques to help keep you warm.
lol those look pretty awesome. How could we say no?

AirShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 05:33 PM
AirShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
To clarify, I personally suggested warm clothing because to someone from San Jose even -12 is freaking cold, and would rather have a visitor to our city not have their experience be defined solely by the weather.
I appreciate that. The average temp where I live (Hollister, CA) is 16C in mid-January. To say we're weather spoiled would be an understatement.

Old
10-28-2011, 05:37 PM
AirShark

My Cousin Mike should be joining us here later today.

Guys, I have to just say this again; Unless you all are in on some giant kidnapping plot to fool the gullible California Sharks fans, you are the most generous and genuinely nice set of hockey fans/people that we've ever come across in our travels over the years.

Of course we'd love to have a meet up while we're there. I'm going to go sing "O Canada" now lol

-Bryan

Old
10-28-2011, 05:42 PM
blues10

Quote:
My Cousin Mike should be joining us here later today.

Guys, I have to just say this again; Unless you all are in on some giant kidnapping plot to fool the gullible California Sharks fans, you are the most generous and genuinely nice set of hockey fans/people that we've ever come across in our travels over the years.

Of course we'd love to have a meet up while we're there. I'm going to go sing "O Canada" now lol

-Bryan
Friendly Manitoba

You'd be really popular at MTSC if you wore a "Selanne" Sharks jersey.

Old
10-28-2011, 05:46 PM
AirShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
Friendly Manitoba

You'd be really popular at MTSC if you wore a "Selanne" Sharks jersey.
I wouldn't be caught dead in a Selanne jersey lol. My Sharks paid him a ton of money, we got nothing out of him for it and then he returned to his previous team in Anaheim. The only thing I liked about Selanne was that I got to see Mike Ricci make fun of an old picture of him we had once after a game. That and the fact that Anaheim (and L.A.) fans are pretty much the complete opposite of the group here on this board.

Old
10-28-2011, 05:51 PM
blues10

Quote:
I wouldn't be caught dead in a Selanne jersey lol. My Sharks paid him a ton of money, we got nothing out of him for it and then he returned to his previous team in Anaheim. The only thing I liked about Selanne was that I got to see Mike Ricci make fun of an old picture of him we had once after a game. That and the fact that Anaheim (and L.A.) fans are pretty much the complete opposite of the group here on this board.
Just a little advice. Teemu is a favourite son of Manitoba and there is a Manitoba Law that, any disapariging comments about Selanne while on Manitoba soil are punishable by up to 76 years in prison and or a $76 000 fine. .

Old
10-28-2011, 05:54 PM
AirShark

Quote:
Just a little advice. Teemu is a favourite son of Manitoba and there is a Manitoba Law that, any disapariging comments about Selanne while on Manitoba soil are punishable by up to 76 years in prison and or a $76 000 fine. .
lol OK. I'll be sure to leave my Selanne torture idol at home in January then.

Old
10-28-2011, 07:11 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Ignore the weather comments. I dunno what it is about some Winnipeggers. They over exagerate the coldness to try sounding like Winnipeggers are somehow tougher cause we live in a cold climate and others just can't deal with it. Yeah it's cold, but its far from unliveable. If you've been anywhere else in Canada (except Vancouver) or anywhere in the Northern States in the winter you'll have an idea for what its like. The average January high 9.1F and the average low is -9F.
Expectations are a terrible measure in isolation. All that means is if he goes to Winnipeg in January for several years in a row, that the high temperature he'll experience is about 9.1F (-12.7C) on average and the low temperature would be about -9.0F (-22.8C) on average. The overall average is 0.0F (-17.8C), but the standard deviation has been 7.0F (3.9C).

It's the distribution that counts: 20.1 days in January (about 2 in 3) have a low less than -4F and 6.8 days (about 1 in 5) have a low less than -22F. 18.4 days (about 3 in 5) have windchills below -22F and 7.2 days (about 1 in 4) have windchills below -40F.

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc....h1=0&month2=12

It's not exaggeration. There's a very good likelihood that the windchill could be below -22F when they visit and a material likelihood it could be below -40F. It wouldn't be responsible in my opinion to not warn a visitor that they should be prepared for that kind of weather. It's not like it's a freak occurrence. If you're going to spend 15 to 20 minutes or more outside in that weather and you're not acclimated to it, you need to have more than a wool coat and ear muffs. I'm not saying there isn't stuff to do and enjoy outdoors, but a visitor should at least understand how they'll need to prepare.

I actually think Manitoba should really market itself as a winter tourism destination to parts of the world that don't have much of an extreme winter. It could certainly find a niche as an ecotourism/adventure tourism destination.

OthmarAmmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:20 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
If its open this year the Forks has one of the longest skating trails in the world on the river. You should definetely go ice skating down there.
I completely agree with this though.

http://www.rivertrail.ca/wp/

some pics here:

and more
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=165392

Last edited by OthmarAmmann: 10-28-2011 at 07:34 PM.
OthmarAmmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:26 PM
darksociety

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OthmarAmmann View Post
I actually think Manitoba should really market itself as a winter tourism destination to parts of the world that don't have much of an extreme winter. It could certainly find a niche as an ecotourism/adventure tourism destination.
Haha, best idea!

I remember one morning when it was -42 without the windchill, my car didn't start even though it was plugged it, and we were colder than Resolute. There must be someway to market that.

darksociety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Prot

vCash: 100
Quote:
I have lived in Winnipeg for 41 years and would not walk from the Forks to MTSC in January. There is a free downtown shuttle bus that runs.

Contact the Delta and Radisson both are offering deals for Jets ticket holders. I believe it is $99.00 a night for ticket holders. Pretty good deal for downtown hotel.
+1 on this... But again, just so they know, the Fairmont is where the Sharks will stay. Plus they would be able to do the indoor walk (no cab, no cold).

Prot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:52 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
+1 on this... But again, just so they know, the Fairmont is where the Sharks will stay. Plus they would be able to do the indoor walk (no cab, no cold).
Yes the Fairmont is fantastic.

Here is my guide to Winnipeg hotels if attending a Jets game. Again all three are connected to MTSC without going outside.

1. http://www.fairmont.com/winnipeg?cm_...FUcDQAodNBPVnQ

2. http://www.deltahotels.com/en/hotels...elta-winnipeg/

3. http://www.radisson.com/winnipeg-hot...3c0b8/mbwinnip

Edit: you have to walk outside from the Radisson. Very short walk.

Last edited by blues10: 10-28-2011 at 07:56 PM. Reason: error
Old
10-30-2011, 01:14 PM
Gutterthegreat

I'll be up in Winnipeg for the Flyers game on the 19th. Looking forward it - considering getting a Hawerchuk Flyers jersey for the game.

Gutterthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 04:07 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Expectations are a terrible measure in isolation. All that means is if he goes to Winnipeg in January for several years in a row, that the high temperature he'll experience is about 9.1F (-12.7C) on average and the low temperature would be about -9.0F (-22.8C) on average. The overall average is 0.0F (-17.8C), but the standard deviation has been 7.0F (3.9C).

It's the distribution that counts: 20.1 days in January (about 2 in 3) have a low less than -4F and 6.8 days (about 1 in 5) have a low less than -22F. 18.4 days (about 3 in 5) have windchills below -22F and 7.2 days (about 1 in 4) have windchills below -40F.

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc....h1=0&month2=12

It's not exaggeration. There's a very good likelihood that the windchill could be below -22F when they visit and a material likelihood it could be below -40F. It wouldn't be responsible in my opinion to not warn a visitor that they should be prepared for that kind of weather. It's not like it's a freak occurrence. If you're going to spend 15 to 20 minutes or more outside in that weather and you're not acclimated to it, you need to have more than a wool coat and ear muffs. I'm not saying there isn't stuff to do and enjoy outdoors, but a visitor should at least understand how they'll need to prepare.

This pretty much sums up at least 85% of this country in the winter time, especially here in Edmonton. In December 2009, the temperature got down to -48C, without the wind chill. It was the coldest location on the ENTIRE PLANET until somewhere in Siberia because slightly colder than us. This was colder than anything Winnipeg has ever recorded. That is why I laugh when Edmontonians call Winnipeg a "frozen tundra" it's just a bit hypocritical of us (them, whatever) because they live in one of the coldest "frozen tundra" cities in the world themselves, or should I say ourselves.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 12:06 AM
AirShark

I just wanted to publicly say THANK YOU to "ps241" .

He not only gave us (GREAT) tickets at no charge, but even overnight UPS'd them to California. He refused to let me pay...not even for the shipping.

I cannot imagine anyone here in California doing something so nice for two strangers. It really says a lot about your town and from my few Canadian experiences, your country. Overall...you neighbors to the North are pretty damn good people!

We can't wait to meet up with some of you before/after the game for a few drinks.

Thanks again! It's time to go coat shopping now lol

Old
11-03-2011, 09:45 AM
bazaaa*

vCash: 50
If you stay at the Forks, I'm sure some here would offer to give you guys a ride to MTSC, a cab ride would probably only be about $5 I'd guess though.

bazaaa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:29 AM
cheswick

vCash: 574
Quote:

My whole point was Winnipeggers like to brag about the cold like the cold here is not expereinced anywhere else on Earth when it's simply not true. I constantly hear people dimissing -20 as not beign cold cause Winnipeg its -40 all the time. Now thats cold. Like who cares if it gets to -40, -20 is still cold. And the actual temperature rarely gets to -40. The record cold in January is -42C.

So with the windchill the low will dip below -30C about 50% of the days in January. It'll dip below -30C on 25% of the days in Montreal. Other winter cities in Canada can get just as cold it just doesn't happen as frequent. Obviously he needs to wear proper winter clothing but my point was that if he's prepared for the cold that can be expereinced in any winter city he's pretty much prepared for Winnipeg.

To make it sound like the norm is -40 when you walk around in the day in the winter in Winnipeg is simply not true. Comments like don't worry about conversions cause -40 is the same in both C and F is misleading.

I go for walks downtown Winnipeg in the winter all the time. There are only a handful of days any winter where I find it too cold to want to go for a walk. Obviously I wear a proper coat and a touque if needed but its more than bearable for the vast majority of days.

And don't get me started on the "feels like -30C" crap. I've lived in Winnipeg essentially my whole life. They used to present windchill properly as a number. Standing outside in -30C with no wind doesn't feel the same as standing outside in -15 weather with windchill to make it "feel like -30". Its just different.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1350
Quote:
I just wanted to publicly say THANK YOU to "ps241" .

He not only gave us (GREAT) tickets at no charge, but even overnight UPS'd them to California. He refused to let me pay...not even for the shipping.
That is incredible.

Props to ps241.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:42 AM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Kudo's ps241, what a nice gesture!

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:51 AM
GmC

Inn at the Forks would probably give you the most bang for your buck in terms of things to do. You can see the Forks, go for a skate on a frozen river. Try toboganning down an ice slide. Walk to our French Quarters: St.Boniface.

If you want to stay warm, I truly suggest Delta and Radisson as good choices. As mentioned earlier they are connected to the arena and both are safe choices. Radisson is connected via a skywalk to MTSC, Delta has more amenities.

As for being a tour guide seeing as you're from California and this being a hockey trip:

1. Play shinny on an outdoor rink. See the game at its purest level. Just bring your skates/sticks or buy some cheap ones from Canadian Tire/SportChek if you don't skate that often. If you want to go even cheaper you can buy some used ones at Play it Again Sports (St.Anne's Road) or Source for Sports (Pembina). Both are far though and not worth it. My suggestion is to goto Polo Park shopping mall and just get some gear at Sport Chek. One of Canada's biggest Hockey equipment chains is across the street Pro Hockey Life and has only been open for 1 year. It is a mecca for hockey gear and impressive.

Some good shinny rinks are Bronx (off of Henderson about a 8 min drive from downtown) and Robert A Steen (about a 5 min drive). Bronx is newly renovated and has IIRC 4 rinks open and has a great facility for you to dress/keep warm. Dress in layers!

2. Have a poutine. Pretty Canadian. You'll find some stands at the MTSC serving some but there is a pretty unique chain called Smoke's Poutenerie in our Exchange District on Princess. There you will have a choice of different Poutines.

3. Take in a junior game MMJHL games such as the St.James Canadians play out of the Jets practice facility at the end of Portage Avenue (about a 20 min drive). Check their schedule.

4. Visit a Salisbury House. Hardly the best food but it is the equivalent of a greasy spoon diner. Walk to the one on the Esplanade Bridge from your hotel at Inn on the Forks. Have a coffee and Red Velvet Cake. It destroys anyone from New York.

Post and let me know what other foods/activities you're into. I'll try and hook you up. I'll also buy you a beer at the Sharks game, just let me know where you're sitting!

GmC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmC View Post
Inn at the Forks would probably give you the most bang for your buck in terms of things to do. You can see the Forks, go for a skate on a frozen river. Try toboganning down an ice slide. Walk to our French Quarters: St.Boniface.

If you want to stay warm, I truly suggest Delta and Radisson as good choices. As mentioned earlier they are connected to the arena and both are safe choices. Radisson is connected via a skywalk to MTSC, Delta has more amenities.

As for being a tour guide seeing as you're from California and this being a hockey trip:

1. Play shinny on an outdoor rink. See the game at its purest level. Just bring your skates/sticks or buy some cheap ones from Canadian Tire/SportChek if you don't skate that often. If you want to go even cheaper you can buy some used ones at Play it Again Sports (St.Anne's Road) or Source for Sports (Pembina). Both are far though and not worth it. My suggestion is to goto Polo Park shopping mall and just get some gear at Sport Chek. One of Canada's biggest Hockey equipment chains is across the street Pro Hockey Life and has only been open for 1 year. It is a mecca for hockey gear and impressive.

Some good shinny rinks are Bronx (off of Henderson about a 8 min drive from downtown) and Robert A Steen (about a 5 min drive). Bronx is newly renovated and has IIRC 4 rinks open and has a great facility for you to dress/keep warm. Dress in layers!

2. Have a poutine. Pretty Canadian. You'll find some stands at the MTSC serving some but there is a pretty unique chain called Smoke's Poutenerie in our Exchange District on Princess. There you will have a choice of different Poutines.

3. Take in a junior game MMJHL games such as the St.James Canadians play out of the Jets practice facility at the end of Portage Avenue (about a 20 min drive). Check their schedule.

4. Visit a Salisbury House. Hardly the best food but it is the equivalent of a greasy spoon diner. Walk to the one on the Esplanade Bridge from your hotel at Inn on the Forks. Have a coffee and Red Velvet Cake. It destroys anyone from New York.

Post and let me know what other foods/activities you're into. I'll try and hook you up. I'll also buy you a beer at the Sharks game, just let me know where you're sitting!
Great suggestions GmC. I'd say play shinny right at the Forks and skate on the river trail. Also it's the Winnipeg Blues that play at the Iceplex so look for their schedule if you want to take in a Jr A game.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Auror

vCash: 848
I think since everyone's buying AirShark a beer at the game, AirShark has to get a hotel next door. He's going to have a little too many beer in him! lol

Auror is offline   Reply With Quote